Borg Battle Drones

Trekkies, Trekkers, Trek-newbies, or just fans of "Free Enterprise," are all welcome here.

Moderators: Ryall, Bobby Curnow, Mariah

Borg Battle Drones

Postby Liebkraft » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:25 am

I've always wondered if the Borg not only posses humanoid drones but also ones originating from species very different. Of course such can't be shown on TV that easy (just think of the costs for the special effects), but one could show them in comics. Therefore I've found a link where I think, if there're ever such thing a Borg Battle Drone they could look something like this:

http://www.rackham.fr/index.php?option= ... Itemid=240
'Play with friends, be a Hero!'
www.halle-der-helden.at (we do RPG)
Liebkraft
Forum Zombie

Postby DanielW » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:40 pm

Don't we see some "alien" borg in Voyager?
DanielW
Transforumer

Postby Ro-Dan » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:57 pm

The Borg Queen is an alien. I mean, just look at that head! But yeah, it would be cool to see a wide variety of "Borgified" aliens.
Ro-Dan
Transforumer

Postby 8of5 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:02 am

There's this uber-Borg from the computer game Elite Force II:

And of course we know Borg have different types of drone, such as tactical drones.

We've seen all sorts of humanoid alien Borg (Klingon, Bolian, Cardassian, etc) dont think there's ever been a non-humanoid Borg, certainly not in canon Trek. There was a wildstorm comic (A Rolling Stone Gathers no Nanoprobes, printed in their Star trek Special) when they tried to assimilate some Horta, but they had a little to much resistance. And Marvel did a comic called "Operation Assimilation" where some Romulans got assimilated.

Ro-Dan wrote:The Borg Queen is an alien. I mean, just look at that head!

Species 125 to be specific.

Ro-Dan wrote:But yeah, it would be cool to see a wide variety of "Borgified" aliens.

Art Asylum did a small assortment of alien Borg action figures "Borg Assimilation". There was a Klingon, Cardassian and Hirogen, they also planned a Ferengi but it never got released:
Numerically challenged drone
8of5's Star Trek blog -- Updated October 14.
8of5
Forum Zombie

Postby Liebkraft » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:59 am

thanks for the Infos mentioned above, I already knew about those things and I also got Elite Force II, the Comic books and also one of the Figurines (the Hirogin Borg).

The thing with the Borg Queen is also quite interesting, since in VOY she states once, that she's been Species 5. In the VOY-set after Series-books some kind of 'Royal Protocol' is established, according to that the Queen ist just some kind of 'Icon' for the program that is/runs the Collective. On the other hand a creation of the Borg of some kind could be seen in the Star Trek Manga Vol I.
So the question remains, wether the Borg originated out of a humanoid race or if the 'Borg' are actually something much more powerful and the Collective is only one of their tools (I also got a theory, connecting the Sphere-Builders from ENT with the humanoid Life, the Founders and the Collective).

Either way, I just hope that IDW does more Borg-Stories after Alien Spotlight and that one day we get to see some really 'alien' Borg (maybe also looking a bit like the Therians)
Liebkraft
Forum Zombie

Postby 8of5 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:03 am

Memory beta has pretty good coverage of the creation of the Borg Queen (link). There are already four conflicting tales of the creation of the Borg, not so mysterious... please please don’t add another one to that collection IDW. But definitely more Borg in general, I love those guys.

The Voyager relaunch novels, the first duology Homecoming and Father Shore, established the royal protocol as the software side of creating a Borg Queen. The TNG relaunch novel Resistance expanded on that, adding the royal jelly (to explain why the Queen always has that extra moist appearance), a normal drone is taken, and smothered in royal jelly which rewrites it's genetics to make it a queen type body... or something like that.
Numerically challenged drone
8of5's Star Trek blog -- Updated October 14.
8of5
Forum Zombie

Postby Liebkraft » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:04 am

wow, cool, I already have this book at home and now I'm even more eager to read it :D

also thanks for the Memory Beta link. As stated in other posts and thread before I'm a bit 'special' in the way of what I consider Canon (since I'm working on my own Star Trek RPG and have to draw the lines somewhere).
Therefore I not only consider the Canon (we all know whta this is) but also the Written Canon consisting of some book series (mainly the ones that can be linked to TNF), PC-Games and comics (and YES, IDW is Written Canon for me).
To get to the point, I think that the stories of the Strange New Worlds Novels are not to be considered to be Written Canon, so (at least for my RPG) I'll follow the Manga and the PC-Game Legay which I think could be even linked in a way. In the Manga in my point of view it's never been made that clear that the Nanoprobes orginate from this ill species, since they seem to be more in transplanting organs as a cure than technology. Therefore it could be possible that the probes where auqired during their search and they are only the first victims.
Liebkraft
Forum Zombie

Return to Star Trek