Hello from the My Little Pony editor! (Ask Question thread)

Moderators: bassbot, Sprite, Bobby Curnow

Re: Hello from the My Little Pony editor! (Ask Question thre

Postby Marimo » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:10 am

Bobby Curnow wrote:Oh, and Princess Twilight will be the norm in the comics as of MLP #13.

Really? Weird. The covers for 13 and 14 don't seem to show Twilight with wings.

Also, I remember hearing from someone that at Dragon Con, you were there and mentioned that Hasbro has let you look at the scripts for season 4. Just wondering if that's true?
Marimo
Slayer

Postby Millstone » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:18 am

Marimo wrote:Really? Weird. The covers for 13 and 14 don't seem to show Twilight with wings.
Image Image
They do not exactly show her wingless either. Clever Brenda Hickey. :twisted:
Millstone
Forum Zombie

Postby oquindo1 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:01 pm

I am going to copy paste my comment on Equestria Daily here.

Sadly, this puts me on the fence.

If season 4 hits and I really dislike it I was going to just not watch the show regularly, if at all. However I was going to keep getting the comics regardless of if I was watching the show or not.

However, with this change it is quite possible I would cancel my subscription to the comics if the writing follows a similar downward spiral that, in my opinion, the show started exhibiting in season 3.
oquindo1
Private

Postby Calnos » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:50 pm

Will Princess Twilight also be in the Spike Micro that's coming out in November? Assuming Twilight is in the Spike Micro (the two are quite the pair, after all).
Calnos
Comic Book Guy

Postby Heather Breckel » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:21 pm

oquindo1 wrote:I am going to copy paste my comment on Equestria Daily here.

Sadly, this puts me on the fence.

If season 4 hits and I really dislike it I was going to just not watch the show regularly, if at all. However I was going to keep getting the comics regardless of if I was watching the show or not.

However, with this change it is quite possible I would cancel my subscription to the comics if the writing follows a similar downward spiral that, in my opinion, the show started exhibiting in season 3.

Wings won't suck all the talent away from team pony, so I'm not worried about the show or comic changing in terms of quality! :D
Heather Breckel
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Millstone » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:32 pm

I told Equestria Daily about Alicorn Princess Twilight appearing in the comics. I had not realised the subject was still this divisive! It is an all-out war zone over there. :shock:
Millstone
Forum Zombie

Postby zemanez » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:09 pm

Extremely disappointed in this news. I hated the entire Princess Twilight concept for a lot of different reasons- and trust me, it wasn't just the literal wings themselves- and would have much prefered the comics to stay away from this given how divisive/basebreaking it was, and I know I'm far from the only one who feels this way. I understand it's ultimately the creative team's choice but I'm still disappointed you'll be going this route, since I personally can't force myself to like it at all.
zemanez
Private

Postby Emerald Flame » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:07 pm

I can't believe you. You said that you'd wait until after season 4 to decide. After the disasters that MMC and EqG were, I was hoping that I'd get one last source of pony that wasn't being ruined by Hasbro's corporate greed. We guess what, not everyone blindly loves everything with a My Little Pony logo slapped on it, and most of these people don't like Twilicorn for many reasons that have nothing to do with the wings. And I've been collecting most of your covers, too ! You've lost a VERY good customer today.
Emerald Flame
Private

Postby Bobby Curnow » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:42 pm

Hi Calnos,

No, Twilight will not be a Princess in the Spike micro. MLP #13 Will be the first appearance.

To others,

I never said we'd wait until "AFTER season 4", I said we'd wait to see how she was handled IN season 4. We've got the season 4 scripts, and I've read a good chunk of them, and feel like I have a good idea how alicorn Twilight will be handled. Without giving to much away— she's going to be handled much the same as she ever was. She's the same character. If you'll let me indulge in a bad metaphor, it's like getting a drivers license. It means new responsibilities and new opportunities, but ultimately getting a driver's license doesn't change the person you are. I say this as someone who was skeptical myself. When I first heard about Princess Twi, my first thought was: "Huh. That kind of separates Twi from the rest of the Mane 6, doesn't it? They're no longer equals." All I'll say on that front is that my initial thought was wrong. The dynamics of the characters are the same.

I'm sorry if people are upset or will drop the book because of this. What I do know, is that it doesn't affect the quality of the book at all. The type of stories we're telling isn't changed, and we're still dealing with the same creators (though you'll be seeing some new faces as well in 2014). All I can really do is ask to give the book a chance. If it's not your cup of tea with Alicorn Twilight, fair enough, thanks for giving it a shot. And if you're not interested in reading it at all, well— thanks very much for reading up to this point, it's much appreciated.

I am curious to hear what people are concerned about. I shared my concerns, so I'm wondering if other people are thinking the same thing, or have a completely different set of worries.
"I've lost all the hamburgers."
Bobby Curnow
IDW Editor

Postby WhitewolfStormrunner » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:43 pm

Bobby Curnow wrote:Oh, and Princess Twilight will be the norm in the comics as of MLP #13.

Crap, I was so hoping that the comics would put that bit off for awhile longer, at least. Ah, well..... :P :| .

The reason being, I'm personally not all that of the "Princess Twilight/Twilicorn" thing, and was really hoping that, like I said, that the comics at least would put that off for a good long while during the on-going comic series' run. Well, ya can't have everything the way you'd like it, I guess......... :cry: :|

Now, that said, it does not mean that I'm gonna stop watching the TV series, or buying the comics. I'll still be doing both (although right now, I don't have access to the Hub channel on Charter Cable; the cable package that my sis and bro-in-law have doesn't have that as part of it, and Charter's "On-Demand option/service, that I was watching the eps on is now longer available to me, so I'm going to have to wait til I get my own place and cable hook-up before I can again), but, as I stated above, I'm still not thrilled with Twilight being an alicorn or a Princess, but she's never been the one that I've watched the show for, anyway. (That honor goes mainly to Applejack, who's my No. 1 fave among the Mane 6.)

But anyway, as long as she remains the same adorkable Twilight that she's always been, I guess I'm okay with it. I just wish folks would get over the "Twilight's immortal, and is going to outlive her friends but hundreds of years" hang-up (it's annoying, no. 1). Meghan McCarthy (and I think some others connected to the show) has/have already stated, numerous times, that Twi is not going to outlive her friends (hence, she is not going to be immortal), and will likely still be living, along with her faithful Spike, at the Golden Oaks Library in Ponyville. So I just wish that fans would get a clue, and calm the heck down on that score!
Okay to Print.
Applejack is Best Pony!
(But Rainbow Dash ain't bad, either.)
WhitewolfStormrunner
Private

Location: The Everfree Forest, just outside of Ponyville, Equestria.

Postby Marimo » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:04 pm

Thanks Bobby.

Personally, I actually have no problems with Princess Twilight, and I'm interested to see how she's used. Though it's unfortunate that some friends I have said they'd quit the comics without even giving it a chance it seems.

BTW, was it intentional to bring her in around the same time season 4 starts, or was the timing just coincidental?
Marimo
Slayer

Postby Heather Breckel » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:54 pm

Bummer to hear some people want to drop the book!

I was a big Dragonball fan growing up and actually grew up on the regular series (not DBZ). Then DBZ came around an all of a sudden Goku is an alien?! What?! This is crazy! But after the initial shock, I got over it and still enjoyed DBZ to the end. The thing was, DBZ was actually the significantly more popular part of the series, despite the fact Goku was suddenly an all powerful being. (even in Japan, where most kids did grow up on pre-Saiyan Goku and suddenly had to deal with that change) There are still fans of the series to this day that prefer Dragonball pre-alien, and that's totally fine. But the series kept going and many of the series' latter arcs are my favorite part of the series.

I guess for me I'm just used to crazy power ups and changes being thrown at me because it's in pretty common in anime and manga. (power ups and new forms are usually celebrated in the anime community) Whereas in US comics we're used to things remaining the same, and things like character deaths and powerups are retconned all the time. Unlike Bobby, I have no idea what is in store for season 4, but I have complete faith that there is much awesome to be had!
Heather Breckel
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby SoundMonke44 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:11 pm

Don't let the neigh-sayers get yea down bobby! Most of us steal really love & appriciate what all of you awesome peeps at IDW do for the book!

Really the whole Alicorn Drama is just childish, its the same as complaining as Optimus Prime getting a new form or Paint job, or a super hero Changing his costume, sure its a visual change, but the character is still the same one we've always known and loved. I say anyone what would stop watching the show or reading the comic just because Twilight has wings now is someone the show & comic are better off with out. The less insane man-children in a fanbase/community the better!

You guys at IDW rock, just like the peeps at DHX Studios rock! And I hope you both keep working with pony for a looong time to come!

Keep up the great work! and may the horse be with you! :mrgreen:

P.S. @Heather The Goku analogy is also a pretty good one. *Kid Goku was hillarious, but Adult Goku is still awesome*
SoundMonke44
Private

Postby Soufriere » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:22 pm

Hi, Bobby and Heather. This is my first post on these boards, though I have lurked from time to time. Reading some of the responses to this news here and elsewhere on the net compelled me to finally register an account so I could add in my two cents.

Ahem. I would be lying if I said I didn't have concerns about the impact The Twilicorn might have on the series as a whole. It seems Mr Curnow had very similar concerns to my own. I for one will be sticking with the comic regardless. I've enjoyed almost every issue to have come out so far, and the IDW staff has earned my trust. The knowledge that the usual suspects who have put out two good series over the past year are (for the most part) still sticking around is reason enough not to overly worry. A pair of wings does not change a character's essence.

I suppose it just goes to show how much people really care about this series and these characters. In all my years in various fandoms, I've never seen anything quite like it.

I'm very disappointed to hear that people are considering dropping the comic over this change. I mean, it is their right to do so, I guess, but the point is that we don't know what's going to happen yet. I may not like how Twilicorn has been handled in the cartoon so far, but I am willing to give things a chance, especially in the comics. It's my hope that the howling and teeth-gnashing is from a vocal minority. I've seen comments elsewhere from people who are legitimately excited about the change. I'm not, really, but I'm not about to rage-quit either.

In short, please don't let the current war going on in this fandom get you down! I honestly feel for anyone in an official position who's had to deal with this fandom over the last few months.

(and for the record, no I'm not just here for the Pony; I was already buying other IDW series before MLP was announced)
Soufriere
Private

Postby blank-it » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:11 pm

Soufriere, thank you for making that point. The fans do care very much about this series, in both TV and comic incarnations, and we have to remember that the "haters" have their own feelings, and ever since March they've felt very hurt and very scared that they won't be able to enjoy the series the way they used to do. I just hope that Bobby's statement that he initially shared those feelings carries some weight with that wing of the fandom. I don't share the positiion that the series is doomed, but I can understand someone feeling that he wouldn't be able to enjoy something that he got so much out of before. Everybody needs to back off on the abrasiveness toward each other and try to heal rather than hurt.
blank-it
Comic Book Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Friendship is Magic