Hello from the My Little Pony editor! (Ask Question thread)

Moderators: bassbot, Sprite, Bobby Curnow

Postby SteelEagle » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:28 pm

Bobby Curnow wrote:Hi Marimo,

As long as sales sustain it! Anything that sells over 10K has a healthy lease on life. Things get a little dicier when you drop below the 8 or 7K number.

Obviously we've got great numbers for the start of the series, and that's EXTREMELY encouraging. Numbers will almost certainly fall down to under 20K. It will be interesting to see where they settle. I'm hoping it will stay nice and healthy, but I guess that depends on how good the books we put out are! (right now I think they're awesome!)

Oh, I dunno. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if 240K is sold of #1 to 80K fans and that even if over half eventually fall off, you have 40K viewers. Wanna bet? I'll dress as Fluttershy for a month if I lose! :lol:

But okay, so 22 pages of story per comic, 10 pages of advertisements? That's pretty close to the minutes of show/commercial on TV, so it seems cool. As a story editor(not just on Pony, but in general), have you found having so few pages to be tough to work with, or is the episodic nature of an ongoing series liberating enough to not have it be an issue?

And #1 has a mini-story? Yay. Are two page mini-stories common?

And another general question:

A comic book costs $3.99. How much does it cost to make, from conception to winding up in our grubby hooves?
SteelEagle
I'm kind of a big deal

Error in the art?

Postby Cloudiest Nights » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:32 pm

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but...

Why does Pinkie Pie have Rarity's hair?
Cloudiest Nights
Private

Postby Millstone » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:53 pm

So that's why there are bubbles in Applejack's cover.

My third favorite cover so far. 2nd is snowboarding Rainbow Dash. 1st is Derpy.

And... 19 covers? This is not a good time to be both a brony and a rabid collector.
Millstone
Forum Zombie

Postby Trottingsky » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:55 pm

Hi Bobby *waves hoofs* like a lot of bronies here I just joined for the MLP comic, I don't know if there is anything I can say that had not already been said with regards to thanking you for being willing to give up a small part of your time to come here and answer our questions.

I'm sure after the initial excitement of the launch has died down you can come answer questions less frequently but right now we are all like moths flying into a light bulb, we need reassuring! :oops:

So then, I have a question in regard to this,

Bobby Curnow wrote:Hi Eric,

There's a bunch for #1...

There's the six "Mane" covers, as well as a subscription variant and a standard incentive variant.

Beyond that, there eleven different retail exclusive covers, which you can only find at the participating stores. There's a guide at the back of MLP #1 to help collectors find them all.

So in total, there's 19 covers.

Honestly, I was shocked :shock: more shocked! :shock: x10 there, that’s better!

I REALLY want to have a full collection of these, I'm not interested in the money, I see this as, for the first time in my life I'm there 'at the start' of a comic series, before the start even! :) I honestly did not know there were 'that' many, I'm a little worried I won't be able to get them all. :(

I know you wrote that in the back off MLP 1# there will be a guide and don't get me wrong, that's great, but is there 'any' chance you can post a full list of the different covers and publishers, along with links where possible, here in the forum so I can try and per-order what I can?

So far, I've per-ordered,

The main 6 collections box set
The subscription cover
The Derpy exclusive from Midtown
The Wonderbolts one from Third Eye comics

I know my motives are shallow, but, surely from the business standpoint, it's actually BETTER for you the more per-orders take place as those publishers will be even more convinced of the viability of the comic?

Regards
Trottingsky
Private

Postby ericdanforth » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:58 pm

I agree.
ericdanforth
Comic Book Guy

Postby ericdanforth » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:08 pm

I pm'd you trottingsky
ericdanforth
Comic Book Guy

Postby Bobby Curnow » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:31 pm

Hi Steel,

22 pages is what I've always known as a comic book fan and worked with as a writer and editor, so it's ingrained in my mind. It's always felt 'natural' to me.

I wouldn't say back-up stories are common, but it's not unheard of either, especially for all ages comics.

I'm not up on the minutia of what costs what, production-wise, I'm afraid. Sorry!
"I've lost all the hamburgers."
Bobby Curnow
IDW Editor

Postby SteelEagle » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:33 pm

How dare you not know everything, Mr. Curnow!
SteelEagle
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Bobby Curnow » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:33 pm

Hi Nights,

Huh, that's from the NYC MLP pop-up boutique, right? You guys found that fast!

As for Pinkie's hair, you'll just have to read and find out! (there's a good reason!)
Last edited by Bobby Curnow on Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bobby Curnow
IDW Editor

Postby Bobby Curnow » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:40 pm

Hi Trottingsky,

My pleasure-- really great to see all the enthusiasm.

I'll try and have our marketing people put together a page with links and stuff. In the meantime, here's a list of everything. You should be able to find the stores by doing an internet search, and pre-order with them, but like I said, i'll try and get something more formal with easy links and pictures mocked up.

-6x main covers (and box set)
-Stephanie Buscema variant
-Jill Thompson variant

Retail exclusive covers:
-Double Midnight
-Dynamic Forces
-"mystery" (this one has not been cleared to share yet-- will update when it can be)
-Larry's Comics
-Jetpack (note: there is also a joint Larry's & Jetpack variant, that shows the two covers connected. Available at either store)
-Lone Star Comics
-Midtown comics
-Hastings
-Third Eye comics
-Wonderworld Comics
Bobby Curnow
IDW Editor

Postby cbrubaker » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:49 pm

I registered just so I can post here. I'm excited about the comic, and the previews I've seen really impressed me. Naturally I preordered the first issue (and also #2)

Just wondering if the writers from the show will have any input on the stories, or will the comic be produced independently from them?

Any chance that you'll get Sabrina Alberghetti to do cover art? She's a storyboard artist on the show and has done alot of comic book work, including covers for the "Darkwing Duck" comic books from Boom.

What are the odds that the comic book stories will be adapted for television in the future?
Last edited by cbrubaker on Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cbrubaker
Comic Book Guy

Postby SteelEagle » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:49 pm

Bobby Curnow wrote:Hi Nights,

As for Pinkie's hair, you'll just have to read and find out! (there's a good reason!)

There is a site you should read:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/

Anything relating to Pony shows up here in less than ten seconds once someone anywhere finds it.
SteelEagle
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Nurio » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Thank you, Bobby Curnow, for that list. I wonder, though, I count 10 retailer exclusive covers in that list, or do you count this joint Larry's & Jetpack variant as a separate cover?

I hope to be able to get all these covers, but for someone not living in The USA, that can prove to be difficult!

Do you also know how many covers there will be (approximately) for issue #2? It's going to be very, very expensive if there's going to be 19 comics every single time...
Nurio
Slayer

Postby Soundalek44 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:20 pm

SteelEagle wrote:
Bobby Curnow wrote:Hi Nights,

There is a site you should read:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/

Anything relating to Pony shows up here in less than ten seconds once someone anywhere finds it.

Thats a pretty neat article. Anywho, while I agree sales will obviously drop between issue one & two and subsequent issues following, I think fans can keep sales at 20K for at least the first year or so. Overall though my guess is in the long run probably 10-12K for the average sales.

But who knows, as determined as Bronies can get at times, maybe we can keep sales higher then expectations for quite some time, that would deffinantly be nice.

But yeah i'm glad IDW is positive about the book, and hope it continues to sale well. And that Andy & Kate continue to have fun writing it!

I know I for one will be buying it every month. Heck I may even continue buy multiple covers if it'll help keep the book alive *i've done it for Sonic & MegaMan before, might as well do it for Ponies as well*
Timelords, Sailors, & Ponies, OH MY!
Soundalek44
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby ericdanforth » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:15 pm

Thank you Bobby! For now, only one of the previously unknown stores has an online store (and their cover is almost $20). If people find a means to order them can we share?

Bobby Curnow wrote:Hi Trottingsky,

My pleasure-- really great to see all the enthusiasm.

I'll try and have our marketing people put together a page with links and stuff. In the meantime, here's a list of everything. You should be able to find the stores by doing an internet search, and pre-order with them, but like I said, i'll try and get something more formal with easy links and pictures mocked up.

-6x main covers (and box set)
-Stephanie Buscema variant
-Jill Thompson variant

Retail exclusive covers:
-Double Midnight
-Dynamic Forces
-"mystery" (this one has not been cleared to share yet-- will update when it can be)
-Larry's Comics
-Jetpack (note: there is also a joint Larry's & Jetpack variant, that shows the two covers connected. Available at either store)
-Lone Star Comics
-Midtown comics
-Hastings
-Third Eye comics
-Wonderworld Comics
ericdanforth
Comic Book Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Friendship is Magic