Brians Myspace Q+A on After the Fall

Drop any comments about Joss Whedon's Angel, Spike or any of the related titles in this space, whether you have a soul or not.

Moderators: Ryall, Bobby Curnow, Mariah

Brians Myspace Q+A on After the Fall

Postby angeliclestat » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:34 am

Brian Lynch is opening up the floor to questions about After the Fall (albeit the non-spoilery kind) over on his myspace page http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... =304143931

So if you have any questions about the book (excluding content methinks:)) then get on over there!
angeliclestat
Transforumer

Postby Deborahmm » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:43 am

I don't have a MySpace account so i don't think I can ask a question. However, most of the ones I'd like to ask are spoilery in nature anyway.

Will be interested to see what Brian has to say to the people who do ask questions, though.
Aargh! 'Shippers! There goes the neighbourhood.
Deborahmm
Transforumer

Postby angeliclestat » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:44 am

Deborahmm wrote:I don't have a MySpace account so i don't think I can ask a question. However, most of the ones I'd like to ask are spoilery in nature anyway.

Will be interested to see what Brian has to say to the people who do ask questions, though.

Well if you have one you would liked asked, I can do it for you:)
angeliclestat
Transforumer

Postby Deborahmm » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:54 am

angeliclestat wrote:
Deborahmm wrote:I don't have a MySpace account so i don't think I can ask a question. However, most of the ones I'd like to ask are spoilery in nature anyway.

Oh, thanks! Ponders. Okay, here's one.

Brian said that every four or five issues, the story would take a breather, as it were, and there'd be one-off character-centric issues about specific characters who don't have a big part in the story. Can't ask who they are, I know (don't want Queen sung at me) but would like to know if he can say who is going to do the guest pencilling yet while Franco also takes a breather.
Deborahmm
Transforumer

Postby angeliclestat » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:00 am

Deborahmm wrote:
angeliclestat wrote:

Oh, thanks! Ponders. Okay, here's one.

Brian said that every four or five issues, the story would take a breather, as it were, and there'd be one-off character-centric issues about specific characters who don't have a big part in the story. Can't ask who they are, I know (don't want Queen sung at me) but would like to know if he can say who is going to do the guest pencilling yet while Franco also takes a breather.

LOL

Your not going to believe this.....but that is the question that I have already asked :)

Do you have another?
angeliclestat
Transforumer

Postby Deborahmm » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:03 am

angeliclestat wrote: LOL

Your not going to believe this.....but that is the question that I have already asked :)

Do you have another?

You're kidding! Suspect it just goes to show how few non-spoilery questions there are to ask.

Okay, how about - are the one-off character issues going to tie into the main story or be completely separate?
Deborahmm
Transforumer

Postby angeliclestat » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:13 am

Deborahmm wrote:You're kidding! Suspect it just goes to show how few non-spoilery questions there are to ask.

Okay, how about - are the one-off character issues going to tie into the main story or be completely separate?

I know , it'll be interesting to see what questions *are* asked.

Thats done now:)
angeliclestat
Transforumer

Postby Deborahmm » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:23 am

angeliclestat wrote:
Deborahmm wrote:You're kidding! Suspect it just goes to show how few non-spoilery questions there are to ask.

I know , it'll be interesting to see what questions *are* asked.

Thats done now:)

Thanks a lot, Angeliclestat. I appreciate it.
Deborahmm
Transforumer

Postby Nata » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:20 am

Will Angel and Spike kiss in Angel:ATF?
Oops, did I say it out loud? :lol:

But now on a serious note: it was mentioned that Spike would have a great arc in Angel:ATF. Would it be mostly centered around Angel as in Angel-5 or would it include other characters and/or a separate character development?

It was also mentioned that there would be new characters in the series. What would be the approximate ratio of the new regular/recurring characters vs. the old ones? (i.e. the ones we knew from the TV shows? + George?;))

Would there be a significant character growth and change for Angel if compared where we left him in NFA? Would there be reprecussions re. Drogan, Lindsey, Lorne, the mindwipe? Would other characters beside Wes learn about Connor?

I don't mind listening to Queen, so there. :)
Say it quick and say it loud: I'm a geek and I am proud!
Nata
Transforumer

Postby Deborahmm » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:35 am

Nata wrote:Will Angel and Spike kiss in Angel:ATF?

Heh! You did. I was thinking it too, though.
Deborahmm
Transforumer

Postby Moscow Watcher » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:39 am

1) Will season 6 start in the alley where we had left our characters in 2004 or the story will be structured around their flashbacks?

2) Will it take place on Earth or in parallel dimension?

3) Will it tell a one long story or every issue will be a standalone?

4) Is it the Alien Queen on the cover? Since Weyland Yutani is one of W&H's clients... :)))
Last edited by Moscow Watcher on Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moscow Watcher
Forum Zombie

Postby Nata » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:47 am

Deborahmm wrote:
Nata wrote:Will Angel and Spike kiss in Angel:ATF?

Heh! You did. I was thinking it too, though.

Yeah... It can be a fake one, for conspiracy or something - to pass a key in prison or whatever. Like fake hand-holding in A5. But as we've learned from it, one image can go a long way. :)
Say it quick and say it loud: I'm a geek and I am proud!
Nata
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:54 am

Brina interacts here so often with us that some of the questions including one or two spoilery ones have already been answered here so I don't really know what to ask him. :lol:
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Shade of Pale » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:06 pm

Thanks, Angeliclestat - I'll have a think ! :)
Shade of Pale
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:29 pm

Brian has answered the first batch of questions.

First question ANSWERED!

Okay, I'm just gonna answer whatever comes my way the next couple of days. Let's get things started with Denitra, who asks:

Most of the questions I have are spoilery, too so I'll refrain but I was wondering if each issue is ging to be a stand alone and/or if the series will have an arc, like "Angel" did?

Well, Denitra...that is one sweet question from one sweet, sweet lady. I'm assuming. I mean, it's someone I know through myspace, for all I know it's a dude. And if it is, maybe he's a sweet, sweet dude who happens to be a little gender confused. Either way, I accept you, Denitra.

To answer your question, each issue is a chapter in a gigantic, year-long ANGEL tale. I do believe that the first hunk o' them (maybe the first five or six issues) definitely is a little mini-arc, as it builds to something pretty cool, but they're still a part of a bigger story. That is to say, loose ends and such, that will continue into the next issues.

Even the solo issue specials, which you could probably enjoy without reading AFTER THE FALL, will add onto the ANGEL:AFTER THE FALL experience. Reading them by themselves you'll be like "that rocked", but then you read them along with AFTER THE FALL you'll be all "that rocked and HOLY COW all those revelations!"

Of course, I haven't written word one of said specials, so I could be talking about my sweet, sweet rump. But that's the plan.

Thanks Denitra!

And keep those questions coming, you all!

More questions ANSWERED!

Please please, youse guys best ask the comic book store dude that works at the comic shoppe in YOUR town to order ANGEL:AFTER THE FALL, let'em know that it's the official ANGEL book we've all been waiting for!

"We" being you and I, specifically, of course. And Franco. And maybe my Mom. She's always so proud of everything I do.

And now, for more questions answered!

Brendan asks:

The 'First Night' issue - which of course wont debut for months - Will it be all characters we know, or also new ones...and also has an artist been chosen for it yet?

Characters we know.

No artists officially planned yet, but each story will be done by a different artist, methinks. Again, very early on this one. But that's the plan.

And then, Brendan asks a question for DeborahMM, who for some reason, doesn't have mmyspace yyet. Get on the ball, DeborahMM!

"Are the one-off character issues going to tie into the main story or be completely separate?"

Tie in, definitely. Though, you know, now that I think about it, it would be awesome to visit a few characters we haven't seen in the series. Just to see what they're up to. But man, a really good writer could make even THOSE tie in. Does anyone have the number of a really good writer? That would rock.

Thanks Brendan!

Next question!

Liam!! asks!!

Does Betta George appearing make Spike: Asylum and Spike: Shadow Puppets officially canon? Or is it just going to be left ambiguous?

I think ambiguous is the way to go. Truth be told, George is with some people who aren't Spike in the first couple'a issues, so maybe he knows him and maybe he doesn't. I would imagine as the series goes on maybe just maybe we'll see if ASYLUM and PUPPETS are now canonized kinda sorta, but truth be told, the point of AFTER THE FALL is definitely not to retroactively canonize earlier writing, so I won't go out of my way to do it. Everyone knows the point of AFTER THE FALL is to bring Wolverine into the ANGEL world.

Did I say too much?

Next!! Liam!! asks!!

Can we look forward to any former cast / recurring character appearances, (disregard this if it's too spoilery) Cordelia or maybe Gwen?

Since I'm too tired to look up QUEEN lyrics, I think it would be infinitely more fun for you to find out in the book, as opposed to me just out-and-out saying I'm bringing back that Shark Mobster dude from BUFFY.

I swear, I'm not bringing back that Shark Mobster dude from BUFFY. That was a joke.

Though he was a snappy dresser. Wait, you know what, i gotta find a place for him. Be right back.

And I'm back. It didn't work out. He asked for too much money.

Next question:

Buffy Comics (what a weird name you have...your parents must be super-fans) asks

1. While I realize that IDW publishing stated that all Angel/Spike books released prior to Angel After the Fall take place in a vague continuity sense of before or sometime after the Series Finale of the show, but since you are the writer, where would you place 'Shadow Puppets'? During Season Five or afterwards?

I don't place it anywhere. To be honest, and I know a lot of Buffy/Angel/Spike/Bangel/Spuffy/Tangle/Xuffy/Xillow/Gordelia/Bshark dudeuffy boards will get mad at me for this, it wasn't my intention to write canonized comics, it was my intention to write enjoyable comics within the confines of what we were allowed to do. Wherever you want it to go, that's where it is.

2. Also, in terms of chronology... Does this series pick up immediately after the TV series finale, or has there been a three year gap as if it were the season premiere in the Fall tv schedule, or is it similar to Buffy Season Eight, which took place a year and a half after Season Seven ended.

It isn't a three year gap. To say anything else would be a Queen Lyric.

3. How does the process between you and Joss work? Does he give you an outline of what he envisioned, and you embelished, or did he give you free reign to write whatever direction you want to take the characters in?

We talked it over, he told me all his amazing plans, I added some, he liked a bunch of'em, we talked about it even more via email for months, I drew up a treatment, he had notes, I rewrote, he liked. It was very collaborative during the plotting stages.

4. Also, please please please use Stephen Mooney at some point, maybe for the Standalone issues, his covers for Auld Lang Syne mini-series, and his interiors for the Angel Masks one-shot were outstanding!

I couldn't agree more. He is beyond awesome.

Thanks Buffy Comics!

Chris went ahead and asked:

1)If you could use one Buffy character in an issue or issues of After The Fall that are being used over in season 8 by Dark Horse,who would it be?Can be a main character like Buffy,Xander,Willow,Giles and Dawn or a reoccuring like Oz,Faith and Amy.

Hmmmm. Okay, in terms of story and overall impact, I think Buffy and/or Faith would fit right in. But selfishly speaking, I would love to see Xander's reaction to the events in AFTER THE FALL. I always wanted him to go to Angel's show in the first place, and I would kill to write that character. I have a great Xander story in me somewhere.

2)Do you have to be kept up to date by Joss on what is happening in Buffy season 8 so things in After The Fall match continuity or don't conflict with each other?

Can you ask me this later? They're definitely very different beasts and they don't interconnect or step on each other, at all. That aside, isn't SEASON 8 awesome? It really is.

3)With the recent news of Ripper happening next year, and Anthony Stewart Head saying either or both David Boreanaz and Sarah Michelle Gellar could cameo,is there room in After The Fall to adapt the story or make room if something Angel related pop into the Giles movie whether it's mention of events relating to L.A. or an Angel character,whomever it may be,appearing in the film in some fashion?

I think everything is going to work out just fine. Just fine.

4)What has been the hardest aspect about doing Angel:After The Fall for you?

Making sure it's great. Is that too general? I know so many people have an idea as to what they want to happen, and it's my intent to make sure that even if we don't do what people wanted, we do what is the best possible continuation of the story. That said, I know people are gonna be mad about some stuff, while an equal amount will be downright overjoyed about the same exact stuff. You can't please everyone, but you CAN make sure what happens isn't sucky.

A runner-up for the hardest thing is finding the time. Screenwriting pays the bills, and that's my day job. With AFTER THE FALL and getting married, I think this year will age me by a century. But at least I'll have an epic story and a perfect girl to call mine.

Simon asks:

Who are your favourite writers on Angel and did any of their work influence you one way or other for Angel: After The Fall?

To be honest I don't have favorite writers, as there are very few episodes of ANGEL I don't adore. It's my favorite show of all time, and it stayed consistently awesome throughout. I'm sorry if that's a cop-out, but it's the truth.

My favorite ANGEL arc is the storyline I call "Hey Connor's here, wait Wesley, what are you doing, hey Holtz don't you dare step through that thing, oh man you did, Angel is mad now". Know what I'm talking about? Good.

Shelby asks:

Are we going to get alot of Spike and Angel dialogue? Becaue those two have the best fights!

We're going to see Spike and Angel dialog, yes. In fact, I can say issue 2 has a discourse between them that was hands down one of my favorite things to write in ANY of the books I've done.

Last one for now:

"Bryan, in terms of a plan?"

I have no idea what this guy's asking. Maybe it wasn't directed at me, as my name is "Brian" not "Bryan", but either way, I don't know what it means. Maybe it's for Bryan Singer. In which case, now this dude won't ever get to hear Bryan Singer's plan and he'll die sad.

I will attempt to help out. I firmly believe Bryan Singer's plan is to make super hero movies with dashing lead actors. Or at least that's part of his plan. I think his new movies involve nazis which are neither dashing nor super heroes.

Whew, that was fun but tiring! You guys happy? I'll answer more questions later!

Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Next

Return to Angel