Godzilla Classics?

Godzilla, Hedorah, Mothra, Rodan... doesn't matter who your favorite Toho monster is, chances are you'll see them in our coming comics. C'mon in and get some good "flame wars" going.

Moderators: Bobby Curnow, Mowry

Godzilla Classics?

Postby Runswithscissors » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:36 pm

I just got the first three volumes of Transformer Classics today and was pleased to see the Spider-man issue reprinted in its entirety. So that makes me wonder, will there be a day when IDW reprints the Marvel run of Godzilla? I have the Essentials book, but still I'd like to see it all together in one volume and in color.
Runswithscissors
Slayer

Re: Godzilla Classics?

Postby Runswithscissors » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:01 pm

Anyone have an idea? Who knows, maybe marvel will put out an omnibus before the American film comes out, like they did with Warlord of Mars.
Runswithscissors
Slayer

Postby Jamo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:44 pm

If I remember right, Marvel had a helluva time getting their Godzilla run reprinted into an Essential book because of Toho. I don't remember the specifics, but it's somewhere on the `net about it (maybe under an Amazon review.)
IDW might have the same problem if they try to reprint them, but I think their biggest hurdle would be the Marvel characters that populated the majority of the series. Dum-Dum Dugan and SHIELD were the main protagonists for Godzilla, and the FF and Avengers showed up towards the end of the series.
That could be tricky... :(
Jamo
Slayer

Postby fbwash » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:48 pm

Jamo wrote:If I remember right, Marvel had a helluva time getting their Godzilla run reprinted into an Essential book because of Toho. I don't remember the specifics, but it's somewhere on the `net about it (maybe under an Amazon review.)
IDW might have the same problem if they try to reprint them, but I think their biggest hurdle would be the Marvel characters that populated the majority of the series. Dum-Dum Dugan and SHIELD were the main protagonists for Godzilla, and the FF and Avengers showed up towards the end of the series.
That could be tricky... :(

...And let's not forget RED RONIN who made his first appearance in those classic pages :
Frankie B Washington
http://www.frankiebwashington.com

Robot God Akamatsu Facebook Page :
http://www.facebook.com/RGAkamatsu
fbwash
Forum Zombie

Postby Batagor » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:49 am

I believe that if IDW wanted to do a Marvel Reprint collection, then they could make it happen. IDW and Marvel have been cooperating on some of the industry's most beautiful collections, with artist editions of Walt Simonson's Thor, among others. They also have a good working relationship based around the Transformers property, which Marvel had for a long time.

From Toho's point of view, it's also win-win. Allowing the release of a Marvel Godzilla collection highlights the ties between two VERY successful creative institutions (Toho and Marvel Comics/Marvel Studios), and such a release would be in a position to support the Legendary Pictures Godzilla movie.
"It doesn't make sense... babies can't even vote!"
Batagor
Transforumer

Postby Mowry » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:16 pm

I don't believe that IDW has the rights to reprint previous material at this time. Also, any deal with Marvel characters (which were in every single issue if I recall correctly) will be somewhat difficult now, I'd imagine.

Who knows, though. I've been wrong before! But as I've stated many times, I'd rather see us reprint manga that most people outside of Japan have never seen.
Mowry
Forum Zombie

Postby klen7 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:16 am

Mowry wrote: I'd rather see us reprint manga that most people outside of Japan have never seen.
i like the way you think!
klen7
I'm kind of a big deal

Return to Godzilla and the Toho Monsters