The Library of American Comics- Terry, LOA, & more

Discuss newly solicited books, current IDW titles, or anything else randomly related to IDW and their slate of books.

Moderators: Ryall, JohnBarber, Bobby Curnow, Denton J. Tipton, Mariah

Postby bem1 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:44 am

There is an amazon fish for Dick Tracy vol.14 for the end of November. I'm looking forward to many of those releases and trying to catch up on some others. Just got Mickey Mouse 3, Blondie 2, and Popeye 6 that I'm still trying to read.

Fantagraphics has a pdf of Captain Easy vol 3 available on their website and I hope Buz Sawyer comes through soon. I know Buz Sawyer vol. 1 got some flak for presentation of the strips themselves, so I son't know if that's a factor why these are taking so long.

Before the end of the year, I'm looking forward to Pogo 2, Rip Kirby 5, Outland, Mickey Mouse 4, Lil Abner 5, plus getting Steve Canyon 1 and 2, plus the two Roy Crane books and more and more!
bem1
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby bem1 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:26 am

Surfing the web, Buz Sawyer 2 has a new cover on both fantagraphics and amazon. Bring on all the Roy Crane!!
bem1
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby emb021 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:19 am

Well, the Complete Outland volume came out from IDW with no fanfare. I don't see anything on the LOAC website about it.

I see the cover for the second Buz Sawyer volume. Not sure why the change. The first one tied in to the first, which makes for a nice series of volumes. This one is totally different.

On a different note, I see that Kent State is putting out a series of hardback volumes of Funky Winkerbean. First volume covers the first 3 years. Have always been surprised that this strip, especially in the recent years with its storylines, has never been collected in any comprehensive form. I've only read bits and pieces of it, as it never ran in any paper I regularly read. For a while I was reading it on-line, tho.
MB
emb021
Forum Zombie

Postby emb021 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:22 am

Well, the Complete Outland volume came out from IDW with no fanfare. I don't see anything on the LOAC website about it.

I see the cover for the second Buz Sawyer volume. Not sure why the change. The first one tied in to the first, which makes for a nice series of volumes. This one is totally different.

On a different note, I see that Kent State is putting out a series of hardback volumes of Funky Winkerbean. First volume covers the first 3 years. Have always been surprised that this strip, especially in the recent years with its storylines, has never been collected in any comprehensive form. I've only read bits and pieces of it, as it never ran in any paper I regularly read. For a while I was reading it on-line, tho.
MB
emb021
Forum Zombie

Postby Edward J Grug III » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:18 pm

emb021 wrote:I see the cover for the second Buz Sawyer volume. Not sure why the change. The first one tied in to the first, which makes for a nice series of volumes. This one is totally different.

Maybe people weren't responding to them? I'd prefer continuity, but it won't stop me buying the book!
Edward J Grug III
Slayer

Postby WW Doctor » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:56 am

Edit: double post
Last edited by WW Doctor on Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
WW Doctor
Slayer

Postby WW Doctor » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:00 am

emb021 wrote:On a different note, I see that Kent State is putting out a series of hardback volumes of Funky Winkerbean. First volume covers the first 3 years. Have always been surprised that this strip, especially in the recent years with its storylines, has never been collected in any comprehensive form. I've only read bits and pieces of it, as it never ran in any paper I regularly read. For a while I was reading it on-line, tho.

Funky Winkerbean falls into that "post-Classic, pre-Garfield" era that I've mentioned in previous posts.

At the time Funky Winkerbean was started, the prevailing type of comic strip reprint was the "Fawcett", which basically consisted of selected strips (think of it as a series of best-ofs) in a thin, regular sized paperback.

Most of the strips of the "Fawcett" era have never received anything near a comprehensive reprint line. Back in the 1980s, publishers were reluctant to jump-back and reprint earlier strips, preferring to focus their efforts on newer properties like Bloom County, the Far Side, For Better and For Worse and eventually Calvin and Hobbes.

Currently, the 60's-70's era, particularly the humor strips, is pretty much being ignored by book publishers. LOAC, Fantagraphics et al are heavily focusing their efforts on "Classic" strips from the 1950s back. Ballantine, Andrews and McMeel, et al are focusing on the strips from today.

Strips like Funky Winkerbean just fall into a crack. They're not old enough to be considered "Classics" per se, and thus not yet of interest to the Classic strip publishers. And obviously they are not of interest to the New and Current strip publishers.

This isn't to say that they're haven't been reprints of some of the 60's-70's humor strips. Titan's done a few (Hagar, Wizard, Beetle Bailey) and even LOAC did two Family Circus volumes (still no word on a third volume). But outside of the Peanuts reprints, there hasn't been a real effort to do comprehensive reprints of most of these strips.

It's why I've made a major effort to pick up many of the Fawcett reprints. They are difficult to find, but aren't overly expensive (except for a few late 1980s volumes, when the Fawcett reprint line was shutting down). For now, it's really the only way to sample much of this material. Indeed, with the LOAC Family Circus reprints either indefinitely stalled or cancelled, the only way to experience the vast run of the strip is by picking up the old Fawcett reprints.

That's why I'm glad to hear that at least one strip from this era is actually going to get a comprehensive reprint line. While Funky Winkerbean wouldn't have been my first choice for a reprint - I do hope that the books do well enough to convince other publishers that there might actually be some money in reprinting these humor strips from the 1960s and 1970s.

I know I've got money sitting in my pocket should any publisher decide to start a comprehensive reprint of Beetle Bailey, B.C. and/or Crock. And Titan would really start getting more of my money if they'd do more Wizard and Hagar volumes.

Another reprint I'd love to see is the 1990's revival of Terry and the Pirates. I met Michael Uslan at Florida Supercon over the weekend, and took about five Sundays from my complete clipped collection of the strip for him to sign. I did tell him that I would pay money for a nice archival collection of the strip. He said he'd actually like to see one as well. Whether it would sell, who knows, but it does feature artwork from the Brothers Hildebrant during it's first year, so that could be a selling point to any publisher that would be interested.

Anyway, that's pretty much all for now. I have to get back to my reading, as I've had so many books show up in the last month. One week, I had six books from various publishers show up in my comic shop's pull box (in this case, the latest Secret Agent Corrigan, Little Orphan Annie, Buck Rogers Sundays, The Phantom, Prince Valiant and the first volume of Titan's Flash Gordon).
WW Doctor
Slayer

Postby WW Doctor » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:26 pm

I just wanted to add to the above post that it will be interesting to see how Funky Winkerbean does in the marketplace.

Obviously it can't be considered a "historically significant" strip like most of the LOAC/Fantagraphics reprints. Nor is it likely to be considered a critical darling like Peanuts and Bloom County, two of Funky's contemporaries that have been published by LOAC and Fantagraphics.

Therefore, the main appeal of Funky Winkerbean lies in the "nostalgia" factor. Will those who remember reading the strip in the newspaper, and have fond memories of doing so as kids and/or young adults wish to re-visit Funky Winkerbean?

As a member of Generation X, I would say that strips that were running in newspapers during the 1970s-1980s have a strong pull that earlier strips just aren't going to have. The strips that ran in newspapers in the late 1970s-early 1980s were the strips that I read as a kid and thus I have a certain fondness for them.

While I understand the "historical significance" of strips like Prince Valiant, Terry and the Pirates and indeed most of the LOAC and Fantagraphics reprint line, I hold no fond memories of reading these strips in the newspaper. In my case, the whole appeal is that these strips is their historical and critical significance, along with their entertainment value.

The question then becomes this, can the "nostalgia" factor, as I like to call it, carry a strip reprint line? I will say this, I think in many ways nostalgia will always trump historical significance. Bloom County, no doubt, had much of its sales driven by the fact that many fans of the strip from its heyday simply wanted to re-visit their favorite comic strip from their childhood.

It's also why, if I could only afford one reprint line, it would be Charles Schulz's Peanuts. It was my favorite comic strip as a kid, and that appeal is something any of the other strip reprints will never have. It's also why I've bought the Titan reprints of Hagar/Wizard/Beetle over the years. While those strips might not be in a class like Terry and the Pirates, the fact that I read these as a kid means that they have a higher personal appeal than a strip reprint like Terry. I might admire and enjoy a strip like Terry but it will never be an "old friend" like Peanuts or Bloom County.

Whether Funky Winkerbean has enough fans who have a yearning to revisit the strip is unknown. My local newspaper didn't carry Funky back in the late 1970s-early 1980s, thus I never developed a strong emotional attachment to the strip, so in this case the appeal is low. However, there might be others of my generation that this strip might have a high appeal, since they might remember reading the strip in their local newspaper and would like revisit with an "old friend".
WW Doctor
Slayer

Postby ericb33 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:32 pm

WW Doctor wrote:I know I've got money sitting in my pocket should any publisher decide to start a comprehensive reprint of Beetle Bailey, B.C. and/or Crock. And Titan would really start getting more of my money if they'd do more Wizard and Hagar volumes.

I totally agree with you and I would add Andy Capp and unfairly forgotten Gordon Bess' Redeye.
ericb33
Red Shirt

Postby motiontoast » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:44 pm

I have also been really enjoying the gag-a-day type strips. I've picked up all of the Titan books and really enjoy them! On that topic, does anyone know why the odd Wizard of Id daily was left out? I think about four or five are not in that first volume. I think there are also a few Hagars that were left out of the second and third volumes.

One humor strip I'd love to read from the beginning is Robot Man. I was a big fan in the 90s and still read Monty to this day. It has an interesting origin (it was originally a tie-in to a Matel toy that flopped) and the offbeat, often irreverent humor is totally my taste. Hopefully someone out there shares my love for Robot Man.

Don't get me wrong, I love the adventure strips, but I feel like there could be greater representation of the humor strips. I'm really looking forward to Skippy and the Polly dailies.
Kurtis Findlay
Chuck Jones: The Dream That Never Was
motiontoast
Red Shirt

WHAT ABOUT AMBLER, BRUCE?

Postby XIII » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:37 pm

These days I'm reading IDW's collection of Doug Wildey's RIO, and thanks to the intro by Mark Evanier I've discovered the existence of his AMBLER strip.

The obvious next step is googling the crap out of it for further information:

http://www.comicartville.com/wildeypg4.htm

In 1972 Wildey he created the strip "Ambler" for the Chicago Tribune-N.Y. News Syndicate. A contemporary strip, "Ambler" followed the adventures of an itinerant folk musician and was, of course, brilliantly illustrated. By this time, Wildey was liberally applying zip-a-tone to his work that added another dimension of depth and shadow within the small confines of a strip. His "spotting" of solid blacks throughout made his art stand out on the page and echoed the work of Caniff. A particular favorite project of his, the vast majority of original "Ambler" art remains in his family's possession with the hopes that it will someday be collected into a graphic novel form.

http://strippersguide.blogspot.com.es/2 ... mbler.html
http://booksteveslibrary.blogspot.com.e ... ey_09.html

XIII
Comic Book Guy

Re: WHAT ABOUT AMBLER, BRUCE?

Postby emb021 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:02 am

XIII wrote:These days I'm reading IDW's collection of Doug Wildey's RIO, and thanks to the intro by Mark Evanier I've discovered the existence of his AMBLER strip.

Hmmmm. Maybe if the RIO volume is a success, IDW may do AMBLER.

On a different note, got the second Buck Roger's Sunday collection. Have read thru most of the volume. The artwork is by Rick Yager, and is a great improvement over Calkins. Per the intro, Yager took over the writing with the last 3 stories in this volume, tho per the list at Wikipedia, it was Nowlans thru the whole volume. Haven't gotten to them, so hope I can see an improvement.

Am really hoping for the next volume, as it should include the "Martian Invasion of Earth", which I read part of in the old Chelsea House collection of Buck Rogers. The other incomplete Sunday story in that volume I think will be in v5 (based on how many strips they are doing in each volume).
MB
emb021
Forum Zombie

Postby Technohat » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:43 pm

I just received the new Outland collection. While reading it, I noticed the December 14, 1992 strip (page 181) is a repeat of the strip on page 66 (Sept. 30th 1990). The strip on the following page (182) is a repeat as well, but there it mentions the reason the December 20th 1992 strip is a duplicate of the strip from page 60 (August 19th, 1990) but makes no mention of why the previous page is a repeated strip. Anybody know what's going on here?
Technohat
Private

Postby Gryphon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:27 am

I wonder if anything new will be announced at comicon.
Gryphon
Forum Zombie

Postby Gryphon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:57 pm

According to diamond, King aroo is being resolicited for october.
Gryphon
Forum Zombie

PreviousNext

Return to IDW Projects