Snake Eyes & Storm Shadow #14 Preview/Discussion

Yo, Joe! The base of operations for your comments is open and ready for your transmissions.

Moderators: JohnBarber, CarlosG86, Bobby Curnow, Mariah, shanecdavis

BEST COVER

Cover A (Andrea Di Vito)
3
60%
Cover B (Lee Furgeson & Sal Buscema)
1
20%
Cover RI (Andrea Di Vito B&W)
1
20%
 
Total votes : 5

Snake Eyes & Storm Shadow #14 Preview/Discussion

Postby shanecdavis » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:43 pm

Image A Image B
Image RI

Snake Eyes & Storm Shadow #14

Chuck Dixon (w) • Robert Atkins (a) • Andrea Di Vito, Lee Ferguson & Sal Buscema (c)

“Serpent’s Shadow,” part 2!
Ninja versus Ninja! SNAKE EYES goes deeper into the Arashikage clan—but will his mission succeed or will STORM SHADOW corrupt the commando? Differnces will have to be put aside as both turn their swords against—Zartan!

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

*Variant Covers:
Black & White Andrea Di Vito cover!

Bullet Points:
Non-stop ninja and commando action!
Featuring the key villain from G.I. JOE: RETALIATION!


PREVIEW
http://www.comicbookresources.com:8080/ ... w&id=12751
Last edited by shanecdavis on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
shanecdavis
Transforumer
 
Posts: 2059
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:22 am
Location: Saratoga Springs, UT

Postby Veritas » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:38 pm

Gahhh... I called the Helix idiocy the second she didn't shoot SE, but I was sooo hoping I'd be wrong. :roll: Great art, nice action... stupid addition of MarySue. This arc doesn't need her.

And Hard Drive should have clocked her.
~CSV
=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Proud GeekMom and JoeMomma!
My Blog: http://csv1026.blogspot.com
My Fanfic (Stargate SG1, GI Joe, Skulduggery Pleasant): http://www.fanfiction.net/~catwings1026
User avatar
Veritas
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:16 pm

Postby Mamu_Nestor » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:06 am

Veritas wrote:Gahhh... I called the Helix idiocy the second she didn't shoot SE, but I was sooo hoping I'd be wrong. :roll: Great art, nice action... stupid addition of MarySue. This arc doesn't need her.

And Hard Drive should have clocked her.


Agreed. This story is better without her... did you read the solicitation for September? Scarlett and Helix "have" to fight and only one will survive...
Author: Karate is Self-Defense Available at Amazon.com. Kindle version available.
User avatar
Mamu_Nestor
Transforumer
 
Posts: 1320
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:06 pm
Location: TX

Postby Veritas » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:30 am

Mamu_Nestor wrote:
Veritas wrote:Gahhh... I called the Helix idiocy the second she didn't shoot SE, but I was sooo hoping I'd be wrong. :roll: Great art, nice action... stupid addition of MarySue. This arc doesn't need her.

And Hard Drive should have clocked her.


Agreed. This story is better without her... did you read the solicitation for September? Scarlett and Helix "have" to fight and only one will survive...


Link, please? I thought it was Rika vs. Helix...
~CSV
=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Proud GeekMom and JoeMomma!
My Blog: http://csv1026.blogspot.com
My Fanfic (Stargate SG1, GI Joe, Skulduggery Pleasant): http://www.fanfiction.net/~catwings1026
User avatar
Veritas
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:16 pm

Postby Mamu_Nestor » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:25 am

Veritas wrote:
Mamu_Nestor wrote:
Veritas wrote:Gahhh... I called the Helix idiocy the second she didn't shoot SE, but I was sooo hoping I'd be wrong. :roll: Great art, nice action... stupid addition of MarySue. This arc doesn't need her.

And Hard Drive should have clocked her.


Agreed. This story is better without her... did you read the solicitation for September? Scarlett and Helix "have" to fight and only one will survive...


Link, please? I thought it was Rika vs. Helix...


Always check IDW's site
http://www.idwpublishing.com/news/article/2336/
Author: Karate is Self-Defense Available at Amazon.com. Kindle version available.
User avatar
Mamu_Nestor
Transforumer
 
Posts: 1320
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:06 pm
Location: TX

Postby Eagleyes » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:10 pm

The covers are such a lie.
They neither fight together nor against each other

Why wouldn't Storm Shadow go with Snakes to finish Zartan?
Eagleyes
Transforumer
 
Posts: 681
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 5:22 pm
Location: Atlanta

Postby Machete Phil » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:37 pm

So, is it just me, or did the sudden introduction of “magic ninjas” into the reboot really bother anybody else?

I try hard to give Chuck Dixon credit when credit is due, and he has done a lot of great things with the reboot… but ultimately, I feel that with every little step he takes the reboot forward, he then takes two giant steps back.

Sure, it was just a one or two page flashback, but it has a BIG impact on the reboot universe, in my opinion. Chuck Dixon has basically just suggested that ninjas can defy the laws of the universe due solely to their ninjaness – which might have been fine, if he was just boasting or speaking metaphorically – but then Baby Snake-Eyes goes on to ACTUALLY defy the laws of the universe by dipping his entire arm into a vat of molten lead and holding it there as if it were water. Maybe to others, that’s no big deal, but to me, that’s just a ridiculous concept in a universe that is also shared with the more grounded, and far superior Cobra series. Ninjas should be cool enough WITHOUT magic. They’re frickin’ ninjas, for Pete’s sake. Is that not impressive enough in and of itself? Why does Chuck Dixon have to go and turn the Arashikage clan into a less cool, already been there, done that version of The Hand from the Marvel universe?

Think of the implications here… if Snake-Eyes can dip his hand into molten lead with no repercussions, and can also defy God only knows what other laws of the universe, then what is the dramatic and/or entertainment value of watching him fight other normal human beings? There’s no way the guy can lose. Knives and AK-47s are going to lose out to Avengers and X-Men style powers 10 times out of 10.

I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY wish that Chuck Dixon would leave the origin stories to Costa. We now have the origins of Destro, Zartan, and Snake-Eyes ruined by a writer who insists on treating GI Joe like a superhero franchise.

Or then again, maybe I’m just overreacting. What do the rest of you think?

Other than that, I thought the issue was pretty good… except for the Helix scene. WTF was that all about? Why would the Joes ever stand for some lunatic living amongst them who just sneaks up behind you and almost breaks your neck when all you're trying to do is drop off some mail.

But other than THAT too, I guess, I thought the issue was pretty good. The fight scenes were entertaining, and I always like to see Cobra acting as ruthless as they usually do in the reboot. And if it hadn’t been for the ninja magic… I would have actually liked the origin story. I would have been curious to find out more about who Snake-Eyes’ dad was, and to see how the reboot decides to portray the Soft Master. But after the ninja magic, I’m not too sure I care anymore.
But from that point on... Phil Coletti was forever known as... Machete Phil.
User avatar
Machete Phil
Transforumer
 
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:34 pm

Postby Crimson Guard Immortal » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:54 pm

I completely agree with your points 1) regarding the Magic Ninja Molten Hand Dive and 2) Helix's wrestling move on Hard Drive. At least Dixon could have provided a lame excuse for how Snake Eyes still has a hand.
Zartan's tricks just aren't interesting. Renegades had a much better take on him.
The Savane/CC interaction saves the issue.
I still don't understand the exchanges between Rika and SE. Was this somehow a veiled threat or an offer to raise her son? How silly is it he hits Rika in the back of the head?
Childhood Snake Eyes is much more interesting than his adult version. At least the child was interested in something (the identity of his dad).
Crimson Guard Immortal
Slayer
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:10 am

Postby Eagleyes » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:20 pm

Phil,

I totally agree...it's not just you.
I'm simply getting tired of complaining about Dixon.
I stopped buying the main title.
I will probably stop buying this one too.

To your point, I was waiting for it to be a childhood dream.
But not only do we have ninja magic, but his whole identity is different.

Rogue Snakes. How he treats Scarlett. Vigilante batman heroism.
Now he was abandoned and adopted by the Hard Master.
No tragic family accident. No war buddies of tommy and Lonzo.
His cry was the last sound he ever heard? So Snakes is silent from bad childhood memories not by bravery in battle?

Dixon is bad fan fiction..and he's not even a true fan
Eagleyes
Transforumer
 
Posts: 681
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 5:22 pm
Location: Atlanta

Postby Mamu_Nestor » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:37 pm

Yeah I'm tired of complaining about Dixon... But yeah he's good at messing things up...
Author: Karate is Self-Defense Available at Amazon.com. Kindle version available.
User avatar
Mamu_Nestor
Transforumer
 
Posts: 1320
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:06 pm
Location: TX

Postby Veritas » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:50 pm

Eagleyes wrote:His cry was the last sound he ever heard? So Snakes is silent from bad childhood memories not by bravery in battle?


Heh. One of the JoeMommas commented that obviously Dixon has never dealt with a baby with a soiled diaper, if that's the case... or this uberbaby arrived already potty trained. :twisted:
~CSV
=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Proud GeekMom and JoeMomma!
My Blog: http://csv1026.blogspot.com
My Fanfic (Stargate SG1, GI Joe, Skulduggery Pleasant): http://www.fanfiction.net/~catwings1026
User avatar
Veritas
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:16 pm

Postby Veritas » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:57 pm

Mamu_Nestor wrote:
Veritas wrote:
Mamu_Nestor wrote:
Veritas wrote:Gahhh... I called the Helix idiocy the second she didn't shoot SE, but I was sooo hoping I'd be wrong. :roll: Great art, nice action... stupid addition of MarySue. This arc doesn't need her.

And Hard Drive should have clocked her.


Agreed. This story is better without her... did you read the solicitation for September? Scarlett and Helix "have" to fight and only one will survive...


Link, please? I thought it was Rika vs. Helix...


Always check IDW's site
http://www.idwpublishing.com/news/article/2336/


Sorry - was doing final grades at the time, but should have checked it myself. Thanks for the link.

And as for the previous question... I just want to bang my head against the wall. As if Scarlett would stoop so low as to fight with Helix over a guy who's treated her like crap. She's in love with the man, but Dixon is writing her as completely spineless and almost emotionally masochistic. Disappointing, since I've heard that he did wonderful work on BIRDS OF PREY, which is one of "the" comic titles for strong women characters.

And I think the key word in this solicit is "may" - only one "may" survive. I've begun to mutter a mantra of sorts to myself... "The covers always lie. The solicitations always lie. The covers always lie. The solicitations always lie." If I can make myself remember that, I may be able to achieve comic book reader peace...
~CSV
=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Proud GeekMom and JoeMomma!
My Blog: http://csv1026.blogspot.com
My Fanfic (Stargate SG1, GI Joe, Skulduggery Pleasant): http://www.fanfiction.net/~catwings1026
User avatar
Veritas
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:16 pm

Postby Machete Phil » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:40 pm

Eagleyes wrote:Phil,

I totally agree...it's not just you.
I'm simply getting tired of complaining about Dixon.
I stopped buying the main title.
I will probably stop buying this one too.

To your point, I was waiting for it to be a childhood dream.
But not only do we have ninja magic, but his whole identity is different.

Rogue Snakes. How he treats Scarlett. Vigilante batman heroism.
Now he was abandoned and adopted by the Hard Master.
No tragic family accident. No war buddies of tommy and Lonzo.
His cry was the last sound he ever heard? So Snakes is silent from bad childhood memories not by bravery in battle?

Dixon is bad fan fiction..and he's not even a true fan


i'm actually fine with snake-eyes having a completely different origin/identity from arah... that, to me, is what makes a reboot interesting (and what the cobra series EXCELS at). but chuck dixon just fails at his origin writing attempts time after time with almost no exception (i say almost no exception because i do admit i like the rebooted beach-head origin).
But from that point on... Phil Coletti was forever known as... Machete Phil.
User avatar
Machete Phil
Transforumer
 
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:34 pm

Postby edhellman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:29 am

I enjoy Zartan in this series but most everything else is pretty blah. I wish Costa wrote all of the books. We still don't know much about Savane... And now she may be making an early exit after blowing her mission.

I hope they will both show up in Cobra so that Costa can flesh them out.

The Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow relationship COULD be really interesting but so far it feels hollow and kinda been there done that.
edhellman
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:22 am

Postby Tiger71 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:24 am

Machete Phil wrote:So, is it just me, or did the sudden introduction of “magic ninjas” into the reboot really bother anybody else?

I try hard to give Chuck Dixon credit when credit is due, and he has done a lot of great things with the reboot… but ultimately, I feel that with every little step he takes the reboot forward, he then takes two giant steps back.

Sure, it was just a one or two page flashback, but it has a BIG impact on the reboot universe, in my opinion. Chuck Dixon has basically just suggested that ninjas can defy the laws of the universe due solely to their ninjaness – which might have been fine, if he was just boasting or speaking metaphorically – but then Baby Snake-Eyes goes on to ACTUALLY defy the laws of the universe by dipping his entire arm into a vat of molten lead and holding it there as if it were water. Maybe to others, that’s no big deal, but to me, that’s just a ridiculous concept in a universe that is also shared with the more grounded, and far superior Cobra series. Ninjas should be cool enough WITHOUT magic. They’re frickin’ ninjas, for Pete’s sake. Is that not impressive enough in and of itself? Why does Chuck Dixon have to go and turn the Arashikage clan into a less cool, already been there, done that version of The Hand from the Marvel universe?

Think of the implications here… if Snake-Eyes can dip his hand into molten lead with no repercussions, and can also defy God only knows what other laws of the universe, then what is the dramatic and/or entertainment value of watching him fight other normal human beings? There’s no way the guy can lose. Knives and AK-47s are going to lose out to Avengers and X-Men style powers 10 times out of 10.

I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY wish that Chuck Dixon would leave the origin stories to Costa. We now have the origins of Destro, Zartan, and Snake-Eyes ruined by a writer who insists on treating GI Joe like a superhero franchise.

Or then again, maybe I’m just overreacting. What do the rest of you think?

Other than that, I thought the issue was pretty good… except for the Helix scene. WTF was that all about? Why would the Joes ever stand for some lunatic living amongst them who just sneaks up behind you and almost breaks your neck when all you're trying to do is drop off some mail.

But other than THAT too, I guess, I thought the issue was pretty good. The fight scenes were entertaining, and I always like to see Cobra acting as ruthless as they usually do in the reboot. And if it hadn’t been for the ninja magic… I would have actually liked the origin story. I would have been curious to find out more about who Snake-Eyes’ dad was, and to see how the reboot decides to portray the Soft Master. But after the ninja magic, I’m not too sure I care anymore.


With regards to the "molten lead" scene, I am curious whether or not it WAS molten lead as the Hard Master said. (If it wasn't, then I don't know what it was, but it just felt this way when I read it.) It is at least possible that it was solely a test, and that he lied about what it was in order to see if they would be controlled by their fear, or if they had faith in their own ability to defy the odds, and take risks even at their own peril. I don't want to believe in "Magic Ninjas" either, so I offer this to anyone who wants to consider another interpretation of events. :)
Last edited by Tiger71 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tiger71
Slayer
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:25 am
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

Next

Return to G.I. Joe

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest