D&D Comics - Petition to bring back Fells Five!

Here's the place to post letters for IDW's letters page.

Moderators: Ryall, JohnBarber, CarlosG86, Bobby Curnow, Denton J. Tipton, Mariah

Should IDW bring back the Fells 5 D&D comics?

Hell yes, I loved them!
95%
Meh, they were ok, not fussed
5%
Nah, they had a good run, move on
No votes

Total votes : 19

D&D Comics - Petition to bring back Fells Five!

Postby Sean.powell » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Dear IDW, as a long time D&D fan, I was hooked on the Fells Five comic line since preview issue 0. The art was stunning, lots of plot hooks, interesting characters, and the dialogue and character banter was so witty and so real for what might actually take place around a game table. So I was pretty crushed when weeks went by without a new issue, then it became months, and I eventually found out it had been "temporarily put on hold".

I don't know whether the decision to shelve the Fells Five stories is really permanant or temporary. If its temporary, I can't understand why. You only lose readers and people will find it harder to pick it up again if or when you do revisit it. I also don't know whether it has been imposed by Wizards of the Coast in favour of pushing their new focus on Forgotten Realms (it would certainly match their structure on focussing on FR for a time and leaving their Nenteir Vale/Points of Light main setting), but I wanted to register my disappointment with this, and provide a place where other fans can comment and add their requests to bring back further story lines. There is a large post in the D&D section under "future of the D&D comic" where a number of readers have already speculated and requested this.

There are a lot of great plot threads that have been set up in previous adventures still to be explored and three story arcs is much too short for the life of the D&D comic.

I've had a look at the FR comic, and - sorry to all those who worked hard on it - it just doesn't match the lofty standards set by the Fells Five D&D comics. The areas that made FF so great - the art, plot hooks, witty dialogue, action and adventure - its just missing. The problem when you set such high standards in one area is that readers want to hold you to it on future products.

Please bring back Fells Five!
And if not, at least thanks for giving us what you did of them.

rgds
Sean
Sean.powell
Private

Postby FDrowned » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:25 pm

I hate to sound like I'm making an ultimatum, but I went and canceled my order for Vol 2 when I found out you were cancelling the ongoing.

What's the point in me investing in a story if it's just going to end after the 3rd volume.

You've gone WAY WAY WAY too long without saying anything. If it's cancelled , tell us. Don't leave us hanging like you did when you stopped publishing new Star Trek books for like 10 months.

Communicate with the audience

You imagine if Game of Thrones went on hiatus after episode 5 without any prior warning and 6 months later HBO have said jack all about a return date.
FDrowned
Transforumer

Postby fearmore » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:16 pm

amen to that!
fearmore
Private

Postby Harrack » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:40 pm

Hear Hear. I was initially skeptical, as I've had poor experiences with licensed comics in the past, but as soon as I picked up issue 0 at Free Comic Book Day, I was hooked. the snappy dialogue and irreverent approach was perfect for D&D, and refreshing for fantasy comics that often try too hard to be Tolkien.

It was only later that I recognized John Rogers as the writer of my OTHER favorite comic book - the amazing run of Blue Beetle for DC comics (If you aven't read that series, and enjoy Fell's Five, by all means check it out). I became a rabid buyer, also hawking this comic to everyone with even a passing interest.

...unfortunately, this was around January, when the latest issue came out, so now I'm all hyped up for the continuing adventures of Fell's Five, and I have nothing to do with the anticipation.

PLEASE bring this series back, or at least let us know if it's cancelled.
Harrack
Private

Postby Sean.powell » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:48 pm

OK, so its a month into the petition and admittedly - 14 votes is not an avalanche likely to sway the good people at IDW. But 100% of those that cared enough to vote said they loved it, please bring it back. That should count for something, surely... Come on, IDW, lift your game!
Sean.powell
Private

Postby Sprite » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:44 am

Considering how few people seem even aware of this section of the forum... I think fourteen votes is pretty good. :wink:

But seriously... pretty much all reactions I've seen towards the D&D comic were really positive. And it's hard to find comics that are this good, fun and enjoyable... So please bring it back, IDW! :D
OK to print.
D&D/TMNT/MLP/X-Files modding, avatar tech support and shattered trousers repair.
Sprite
Transforumer

Postby rsante » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:08 pm

But the question is can they (or will they) bring it back for under $4, unlike what they did with Magic the Gathering after the first series was completed. They increased the price to $5 and I dropped it. Would love to see Fell Five return if they can keep the price down.
rsante
Private

Postby Sprite » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:27 pm

$5? Really? :shock:

That's pretty rare for comics. I don't see it happening for Fell's Five... that's just a regular IDW comic with regular page number and paper quality...

Did they tag the $5 price to Magic the Gathering because it came with a special card, maybe?
OK to print.
D&D/TMNT/MLP/X-Files modding, avatar tech support and shattered trousers repair.
Sprite
Transforumer

Postby Sean.powell » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:28 pm

Honestly, I'm not even fussed on the price. I crave reading this series. So many plot holes left undone.
Sean.powell
Private

Return to Letters to IDW