Transformers RID #6: Reactions, Reviews, Spoilers

Transformers is here! Discuss anything TF-related.

Moderators: ladywreck, tronprogram, bassbot, Ryall, JohnBarber, Cattleprod, CarlosG86

Transformers RID #6: Reactions, Reviews, Spoilers

Postby tronprogram » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:42 am

Last edited by tronprogram on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are no problems, only solutions.

tronprogram
Transforumer

Postby Kirjava » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:05 am

Glad to read the five star review, but is the preview unreadably small for anyone else?
Kirjava
Transforumer

Postby Cattleprod » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:05 am

People reported problems with that preview in the other thread, here's the alternate link: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... w&id=12663
Cattleprod's guide to upcoming releases.
Editing posts to fix broken quotes is like detonating I/D chips.
Cattleprod
Transforumer

Postby Kirjava » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:09 am

Tak, Cattleprod. I like where this is going!
Kirjava
Transforumer

Postby Focksbot » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:28 am

Livio is a great stylist, but his splash page bar scene reveals big problems, imo, with perspective and positioning of limbs. The three Autobots seem incredibly stiff and blocky. I'd love to see him bring his layout/pencil work up to the standard of his colouring/finishing.

The other stumbling block for me in the preview is Wheelie's rhyming. It's as bad as if ever has been - unmetered, clumsy couplets forcing the writer to adopt facile language. I get that the intention is that he should have a sort of childish mysticism about him, but phrases like 'the bad man' is taking this way too far.
My personal website - it needs more pictures!
Sidekick Books - I publish books here
Focksbot
Transforumer

Postby Focksbot » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:41 am

"If we bring the bad man to the sky,
no more Autobots will have to die."

I do Mr Barber a disservice - there is a meter in there, a trochaic pentameter ending on a stress. Unfortunately, because the natural tendency is to pronounce 'if we bring' as an anapest ("If we bring"), that wrong-foots the reader and makes the whole couplet stumble. The intention seems to be that we read it "If we bring" in order to feel the effect of the regular meter (I'm underlining to represent the stresses).

I'd fix it like so, although I'm not really sure of the sense of 'bad man' so this might not be the same in terms of meaning:

"We're bringing the transgressor to the sky,
so no more Autobots will have to die."

Or if 'transgressor' is a bit too much:

"We're ferrying the bad man to the sky,
so no more Autobots will have to die."

In the second one, it's the second line that goes iffy:

"Leading through our darkest time,
to us, you will always be the Prime."

The first line is a clean three trochees and a stress (like "Tiger, Tiger, burning bright"). The second gets all bunched up at the start: "to us, you will always be".

Very simple metrical fix -

"Leading through our darkest time,
to us, you'll always be the Prime."

- but it still seems quite an inelegant way of phrasing the sentiment. I'd prefer:

"You led us through our darkest time.
To us, you'll always be the Prime."

See how that sounds like actual dialogue that someone might say?
My personal website - it needs more pictures!
Sidekick Books - I publish books here
Focksbot
Transforumer

Postby MRGREWCOCK » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:29 am

Very intriguiging read indeed. I quite like the sudden change of scene from the last 5 issues, obviously seeds are being planted here for future story arcs, whilst giving us a one month break from the current situation on cybertron.

I have a feeling that it is Galvatron (or whats left of him) as prisoner on Hardheads ship, Barber I recall went on the record to say that we would not be seeing Megatron for a very long time, which is a good decision I think.

Cant wait to get my hands on this issue!!
David J. Grew
MRGREWCOCK
Transforumer

Postby dtrip » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:45 am

Either what's left of Galvatron or what's left of Megatron - incapacitated/near death, presumably? I can't really see how Galvy would undermine Bumblebee's government. If they'd kept the whole thing about his army being reanimated war dead Cybertronians maybe (imagine that as a post-war situation - 'cons, 'bots, NAILs and reanimateds) but that seems to have definitely been written away as now all being Sweep corpses.

(bye Thinkbox)

Either way; oh my.
MEET ME IN THE BASEMENT :: an online radio show, playing new and old indie rock type stuff. basically, great music and awkward periods of silence. Thursdays, 10pm UK time. YOU SHOULD LISTEN.
dtrip
Transforumer

Postby General Tekno » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:04 pm

You know what'd be fun? If it WAS Megatron, and no longer being needed, he too was bereft of purpose.

Which would lead to a Megatron/Orion Pax buddy cop story.
Big Time Toons - updated Tuesdays!

And what I say is OK to Print!
General Tekno
Transforumer

Postby Sprite » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:06 pm

That... would be awesome. :shock:
OK to print.
D&D/TMNT/MLP/X-Files modding, avatar tech support and shattered trousers repair.
Sprite
Transforumer

Postby Matrix » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:44 pm

Focksbot wrote:Livio is a great stylist, but his splash page bar scene reveals big problems, imo, with perspective and positioning of limbs

It's been a persistent problem. His grasp of perspective's always a bit dodgy. Helmets and faces are often on different planes.
Okay to print!
I'm working on turning my caustic rants into a caustic podcast. Watch this space.
Matrix
Transforumer

Postby bassbot » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:59 pm

Focksbot, I like the way you think. Bringing Trochaic Pentameter to the boards and with style!
Twitter: @lukeabarnett
Lukeabarnett writes on tumblr
bassbot
Transforumer

Postby hook line and sinker » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:02 pm

I really, really hope that it's Megatron Wheelie is referring to there and not Galvy...

And like others, I'm ready for a new take on the character, some new journey for him that takes him beyond the war and into new territory.
hook line and sinker
Transforumer

Postby Fusion blast » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:20 pm

Robots in Disguise... Well, all except OP, who's still stuck with an Earth semi-truck alternate mode.
Fusion blast
Forum Zombie

Postby DanielW » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:03 am

It could be interesting if Megs looks at the new society and actually decides that it's a good one, and leaves Cybertron, after all he won his war.
DanielW
Transforumer

Next

Return to Transformers