Yoe Books discussion

Discuss newly solicited books, current IDW titles, or anything else randomly related to IDW and their slate of books.

Moderators: Ryall, JohnBarber, Bobby Curnow, Denton J. Tipton, Mariah

Yoe Books discussion

Postby WW Doctor » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:24 am

I've started this thread for discussion of the Yoe Books line. Feel free to discuss any of the books that Yoe Books has released such as the Barks Bear Book, Barney Google, etc.

Meanwhile, I'll be talking about the newest Yoe Book, which I just received from my comic shop: Bob Powell's Terror, the second volume of Yoe Books The Chilling Archives of Horror Comics.

Unlike last year's Frankenstein book, the first thing one notices is that the front cover does not feature die cut eyes like the first cover did. Otherwise the book uses pretty much the same format as the first book.

I did have two issues with the Bob Powell book in particular. Many of these stories have been reprinted (in some cases a lot) over the years. The Wall of Flesh, for example has been reprinted multiple times, most recently in Four Color Fear.

It might have been nice to see perhaps some Powell stories that haven't seen reprint so often, but I guess Craig Yoe wanted his book to be the definitive Bob Powell horror anthology, so I guess in that case one needs to include such stories as The Wall of Flesh and Colorama.

Two of the stories were reprinted from the original black and white artwork. While this is wonderful to see and much appreciated, it might have been nice to include the colored, finished products as well.

As a fan of 1950's horror comics, I'm definitely the target audience for these books. I found the book really enjoyable and well worth the read. While I would prefer more archival projects such as the EC reprints or PSP's Harvey and ACG reprints, having artist specific books like Dick Breifer's Frankenstein and the Bob Powell book are the next best thing. Looking forward to the next volume in this series.
WW Doctor
Slayer

Postby emb021 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:45 am

Ok.

Here are my comments on the "Barks Bear" volume, which overall I loved:

I got my copy this past week. Been enjoying reading it. The artwork is great, the color is the same as the original comic (this can be good or bad). All the stories are 8-pagers, more similar to the short Donald Duck stories Barks did, then the longer adventure stories. But even then, several of the stories have an adventure feel. (the story where Barney finds oil, gold, and diamonds and trades them away because he doesn't realize their worth was interesting). Toward the end, Barks even added an annoying neighbor, Mooseface McElk, as a foil for Barney.

What I was surprised to learn was that there were 3 solo Benny Burro stories in "Our Gang" comics before the Barney/Benny stories began. And when I checked the GCD, I found there were 2 Droopy stories as well!! Some more unknown Barks!! I really wish these had been included as well, to give a more complete package of these unknown Barks stories.

Great package, other then the garish cover (too much foil).
MB
emb021
Forum Zombie

Postby emb021 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:47 am

I flipped thru the Bob Powell collection at my LCS. I liked what I saw, and will probably get it. What little Powell stuff I've seen I've really enjoyed (like his Man in Black stories. wish someone would reprint those).

I don't have "Four Color Fear", I knew of that 'wall of flesh' story, but had not read it.

I am thinking of getting the Archie Mad House volume and maybe the Briefer Frankenstein on as well.
MB
emb021
Forum Zombie

Postby WW Doctor » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:33 am

Regarding the coloring of both the Barks Bear Book (which I also bought and enjoyed) and the Bob Powell book:

A restoration might have been nice, but I highly suspect that Yoe doesn't really have the money for a high quality restoration, for whatever reason. I almost prefer what he's doing, presenting the work pretty much as is over a half-baked restoration job.

The Barks Bear Book was quite a revelation, and like the Bud Sagendorf Popeye book, a nice supplement to the upcoming Fantagraphics Carl Barks Duck books. I agree that adding the solo Benny Burro stories would have been a nice touch but that is probably the most frustrating thing about most of the Yoe Book projects, they leave one wanting more.
WW Doctor
Slayer

Postby captcomic83 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:58 pm

Volume 3 of Yoe's pre-code Horror series (Zombies) is coming in May-June!

Jeremy.
captcomic83
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby WW Doctor » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:27 am

captcomic83 wrote:Volume 3 of Yoe's pre-code Horror series (Zombies) is coming in May-June!

Jeremy.

Gotta ride that Walking Dead wave!

Mind you, not saying that's a bad thing, as I'm looking forward very much for the third volume.
WW Doctor
Slayer

Postby emb021 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:04 am

WW Doctor wrote:
captcomic83 wrote:Volume 3 of Yoe's pre-code Horror series (Zombies) is coming in May-June!

Gotta ride that Walking Dead wave!

Mind you, not saying that's a bad thing, as I'm looking forward very much for the third volume.

My take too.
MB
emb021
Forum Zombie

Postby captcomic83 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:31 am

I am fearing that the second Yoe! Ditko book will be a repeat of the first one: Mostly having post-Code crap that nobody likes!

Jeremy A. Patterson.
captcomic83
I'm kind of a big deal

FAST WILLIE JACKSON

Postby PENofPOWER » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:41 pm

I'd like to see YOE Books partner with IDW to publish a complete FAST WILLIE JACKSON collection that matches the quality of the ARCHIE: THE BEST OF... books. Unfortunately, even if YOE Books is interested, I don't think Bertram Fitzgerald cares to ever make those books available to readers again.
PENofPOWER
Private

Postby captcomic83 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:48 pm

The new Zombies! book is out!

Jeremy.
captcomic83
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby captcomic83 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:24 am

As I feared: The Creativity of Ditko is much worse than its predecessor, as the reprinted stories all come from the post-code period!

Jeremy.
captcomic83
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby positronic1 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:01 am

Almost all the pre-Code Ditko stories are in Strange Suspense: The Steve Ditko Archives Vol.1 from Fantagraphics. Ditko only began working in the business in 1954, so there's not all that much from the pre-Code period.

Like it or not, Ditko's reputation rests on the bulk of his mature work done in the post-code period of the 1950s and 1960s.

Interesting theory, that "nobody likes" Ditko's work on stuff like Captain Atom, Blue Beetle, The Question, Amazing Adult Fantasy, Spider-Man, Hulk, Dr. Strange, The Creeper, Mr. A, etc. You might want to research that a little more closely.
positronic1
I'm kind of a big deal

Re: FAST WILLIE JACKSON

Postby violentmarv » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:08 pm

PENofPOWER wrote:I'd like to see YOE Books partner with IDW to publish a complete FAST WILLIE JACKSON collection that matches the quality of the ARCHIE: THE BEST OF... books. Unfortunately, even if YOE Books is interested, I don't think Bertram Fitzgerald cares to ever make those books available to readers again.

YES!!! I would buy that in a heartbeat!!! The back issues are way too expensive for me.
violentmarv
Comic Book Guy

Return to IDW Projects