30th Anniversary ARAH Reading Marathon - Week 20

Yo, Joe! The base of operations for your comments is open and ready for your transmissions.

Moderators: JohnBarber, CarlosG86, Bobby Curnow, Mariah, shanecdavis

30th Anniversary ARAH Reading Marathon - Week 20

Postby shanecdavis » Sat May 12, 2012 7:59 am

In honor of 2012 being the 30th Anniversary of the Marvel G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero comic that we all know and love, we will be holding a reading marathon. Each week we will read 5 issues and then post our thoughts here. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to participate, even if you aren't able to actually read the issues. Please share any experiences you had when you first read these issues, whether it be as a kid, or picking these up later as a teen or adult. If you missed out on the previous weeks, you can find the URLs at the bottom of this post.

WEEK 20 - Marvel G.I. Joe: ARAH #96-100

COVERS
Marvel #96 - The Hexagram Completed

Marvel #97 - What Goes Around, Comes Around

Marvel #98 - He's Back!

Marvel #99 - Calm Before the Storm

Marvel #100 - Seeds of Empire

HIGHLIGHTS:
* First appearance of Steam Roller and Roxy and Tiff
* Death of Billy, Zartan, Tyrone, Cpt. Minh, Firefly, Fred VII, Dr. Mindbender, Voltar, and Raptor
* Destro proves Snake Eyes didn't kill Baroness' brother
* Destro unmasked
* The return of COBRA Commander
* COBRA invades Millville

PREVIOUS WEEKS
WEEK 19 - Marvel #91-95, Marvel Special Missions #26-28, Hasbro #7 CLICK HERE
WEEK 18 - Marvel #86-90, Marvel Special Missions #21-25 CLICK HERE
WEEK 17 - Marvel #81-85, Marvel Special Missions #16-20 CLICK HERE
WEEK 16 - Marvel #76-80, Marvel Special Missions #13-15 CLICK HERE
WEEK 15 - Marvel #71-75, Marvel Special Missions #11-12 CLICK HERE
WEEK 14 - Marvel #66-70, Marvel Special Missions #8-10, Marvel Yearbook #4 CLICK HERE
WEEK 13 - Marvel #61-65, Marvel Special Missions #6-7 CLICK HERE
WEEK 12 - Marvel #56-60, Marvel Special Missions #3-5, Marvel Yearbook #3 CLICK HERE
WEEK 11 - Marvel #51-55, Marvel Special Missions #1-2 CLICK HERE
WEEK 10 - Marvel #46-50 CLICK HERE
WEEK 9 - Marvel #41-45, Marvel Yearbook #2 CLICK HERE
WEEK 8 - Marvel #36-40, Hasbro #36 1/2 CLICK HERE
WEEK 7 - Marvel #31-35, Marvel Yearbook #1, Hasbro #32 1/2 CLICK HERE
WEEK 6 - Marvel #26-30, DDP Snake Eyes: Declassified 1-6 CLICK HERE
WEEK 5 - Marvel #21-25, DDP Snake Eyes: Declassified Trade, Hasbro #21BCLICK HERE
WEEK 4 - Marvel #16-20 CLICK HERE
WEEK 3 - Marvel #11-15 CLICK HERE
WEEK 2 - Marvel #6-10 CLICK HERE
WEEK 1 - Marvel #1-5, DDP G.I. Joe: Declassified 1-3 CLICK HERE

*Just click on the CLICK HERE hyperlink and that week's page will open up!*

Cover art courtesy of Antarctica's website - http://www.yojoe.com/comics/index.shtml#Marvel
Last edited by shanecdavis on Wed May 23, 2012 11:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby Firefly210 » Sun May 13, 2012 12:44 am

Loved issue 98 quite possibly my all time favorite issue! Cobra Commanders triumphant return. Classic when Mindbender and Raptor are ambushed by CC at his gravesite. We get the backstory on how Cobra Commander survived being shot and him getting the ultimate revenge by locking all of the traitors in the landlocked freighter.
Firefly210
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby ER » Mon May 14, 2012 9:36 pm

G.I. Joe #96 (December 1989)
Read this today, and to be honest, it wasn't as good as I remembered it. It didn't have enough action for being the big conclusion of the arc. #94 and #95 were both packed with fabulous action sequences, but this one falls a little flat.

On the up side, it is pretty cool to see Storm Shadow climbing up the side of the burning consulate building, and SE disguised as the Techno-Viper is fun and totally fooled me the first time I red this! I also like Bright's attention to continuity - drawing the upper room of the Consulate building the same as how we see it in Yearbook #3. And it's pretty cool when the building actually topples over with everyone still inside.

I guess I feel a little let down because for some reason I had thought there was more action shown of SE and SS fighting together against the Cobras. But actually the building starts to topple (ending the fight) as soon as the two get together.

Good, but not great.

Sweet cover, though!
ER
Transforumer

Postby shanecdavis » Tue May 15, 2012 6:44 am

It's been 10 weeks since we've only had 5 issues to read in a week. What am I going to do with all this extra free time???

Marvel #96 - The Hexagram Completed

I don't know if it would have had a bigger impact if I was able to read this issue when it first came out, but after finally getting a chance to pick it up and read it some years ago, it felt somewhat anti-climatic. Don't get me wrong, there were some great action scenes and Bright's art was solid. I guess from seeing the cover and reading the summaries of the issue over the years I thought we would get more than a few panels of Tommy and Snake Eyes working together.

Don't get me wrong, most of those panels were magnificent, particularly Tommy scaling the outside of the building, taking out the three Vipers, leaping up through the ceiling, and bursting through the big screen. I was also taken by surprise when Snake Eyes revealed himself as the Techo-Viper. I totally didn't even notice the Techno-Viper jerk his head around when Baroness screamed that Storm Shadow was there. Seeing the different COBRAs was also a nice addition, and Bright drawing some without their helmets gave them a more human feel.

The point where the top of the building started to give way though was when things went south in a hurry. First, Snake Eyes barely saved Baroness when she slid out the window. Then Destro was revealed to ALSO be tied to Snake Eyes past. Then Baroness broke free of Snake Eyes' grip and was saved again, this time by Tommy. Then the most ridiculous was the two sword brothers falling with a rather large chunk of a side of the building that conveniently disappeared so that the Tomahawk could barrel roll at the exact time that the pair could fall in through the open cargo door, but not out the other side, and somehow land without injury despite the rate of speed they were falling. Oh yeah, the whole time Scarlett was there in a coma being held down by a few Joes with what I will assume wore magnetic boots to keep themselves from moving when the helicopter went upside down. UGH. Incredibly lame. So lame that I must have totally blocked out that whole sequence from my mind. I can accept some things that push the envelop of common physics or technology, but this one was too much.

Thinking back now that I have read all three in succession, I feel fortunate that I only got to read #95 back then. All things considered this issue was good, but as ER said it just wasn't as good as the previous issue and therefore it felt more like a letdown.

Marvel #97 - What Goes Around Comes Around

The beginning of this issue had a distinct Special Missions feel to it, and I was liking it until Rock 'N Roll got out of the car. Hasbro strikes again! I could just see them in their offices, trying to come up with something even more ridiculous than a soldier being able to hold and fire an .50 cal all by himself. Here's my interpretation of what happened:

Hasbro Guy 1: (jumps up) "I got it!!! Let's have one of the Joes carry a gatling gun!"
Hasbro Guy 2: "The guys that wrote Predator would laugh at us and say we copied their idea."
Hasbro Guy 1: "So. It's a good idea."
Hasbro Guy 3: "True, but since it's been done before we need something better."
Hasbro Guy 2: "How about instead of it being connected to a chassis around his waist, the Joe can free hand it?"
Hasbro Guy 3: "You're getting warmer."
Hasbro Guy 1: "What if instead of holding one gatling gun he holds one - in each hand!"
Hasbro Guy 2: "Oh, oh, oh, oh, and each gun has TWO barrels!!!"
Hasbro Guy 4: "Are you (censored) kidding me???? You think having one guy essentially hold FOUR (censored) gatling guns, free hand I might add, isn't a (censored) stupid and far-fetched idea?????"
Hasbro Guy 3: (points to Hasbro Guy 4) "Take your negative attitude out of my office. NOTHING is too stupid or over the top for Hasbro!"
Hasbro Guy 4: "(CENSORED)!!"
Hasbro Guy 3: "Great idea guys! Now get to work."

That complaint aside, I loved Rock 'N Roll's line and the ensuing comments afterward. Priceless! The opening scene on COBRA Island had me chuckling as well, with all our familiar leaders of countries we will never be able to find on a world map (anyone know who the guy sitting to the right of Ngoto is?).

Colonel Sharif: "I thought you were deposed, El Jefe?"
El Jefe: "That was last week, Colonel Sharif."

Bwahahahaha!! The world balloons were mixed up, but the funny was still funny. Mr. Hama also brought back Capt. Minh for a few good lines. I liked the fact that he was included, but consider this - Billy, Tyronne, Zartan, and Raptor get Minh to take them to COBRA Island, then if I remember they go back to the Rockies and run into CC, and then return back to COBRA Island. Quite a bit of travel there!

How cool was it to see Tommy, Snake Eyes, Stalker, and Wade together again? Super cool. I also think this is the last time we see Tommy on his own. If I remember, the next time he appears he will be a full-fledged member of the Joes. I really liked the idea back then because I always wanted the two of them working together, but in retrospect I liked it better when Tommy wasn't associated with the Joes and just helped out as needed. Once he became a Joe he became just another Joe. Not to mention that Hasbro then went on a ninja high and overloaded the property with them. As it was with sci-fi, having mystic arts as part of the mythos made Joe unique, but as it was with sci-fi, too much of it didn't work.
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby Mamu_Nestor » Tue May 15, 2012 7:15 am

I'm not sure if you guys have looked up the I Ching or not, but the true Arashikage hexagram means incomplete : | : | : | and the opposite is complete | : | : | :

So does this mean the Arashikage was turned upside down?... LOL Just thought that tidbit was interesting.
Author: Karate is Self-Defense Available at Amazon.com. Kindle version available.
Mamu_Nestor
Transforumer

Postby shanecdavis » Tue May 15, 2012 12:20 pm

Great find, Mamu_Nestor! I never really thought much of the hexagram other than it looked cool and the ten letters of the Kug-No-In. Wouldn't surprise me if there was a double-meaning behind it.

Marvel #98 - He's Back!

Thirty-two months. Thirty-six issues. I wonder if there was one single month during that entire time that I didn't wish CC would come back? This is one issue where the story was betrayed by the cover. I wasn't smart enough in the previous issues to see the foreshadowing of CC's return. I don't remember if it was mentioned at all in the previous issue in the letter's page, but one look at that cover and there was no doubt who it was. Pity.

For the second issue in a row, things started out up in the Great White North. For the second issue in a row, there is a Special Missions vibe to it. For the second issue in a row, Super Rock 'N Roll ruins it. Aside from the fact that the cover gave it away, Mr. Hama did a wonderful job at setting things up, with the reveal that these Terrordrome parts weren't shipping from COBRA Island, but Denver. Then the next scene has Baldy and Birdbrain at the burial site. Despite knowing CC was returning, the first panel with him in it was still very powerful. He's back!!!! Well, he shouldn't have been gone in the first place, but that's a discussion for another time.

COBRA Commander. THE COBRA Commander. The backstory on what he had been doing the past three years was just plain awesome sauce! While I was as giddy as a school girl to see him back, nothing would prepare me for what happened next. I don't know if Mr. Hama was given leeway to utilize the characters as he saw fit, or Hasbro actually pre-approved the move, but in a few pages it ended up being a spring cleaning of sorts through the COBRA ranks, getting rid of all the goofy and ridiculous concepts that Hasbro had conjured up over the years.

Zartan
Mindbender
Raptor
Croc Master
Voltar

He even added his own Fred VII, which turned out to be a pretty crappy idea too. I can see he had to add Billy, Tyrone, and Capt. Minh since they were there the whole time, but originally I didn't understand the inclusion of Firefly. I do now of course, even though I don't particularly care for what will happen later. Not only were these worthless characters locked up in a frieghter, but CC then buried them inside a freaking volcano! BOOM!! So long, suckahs!

Then, when I didn't possibly think this issue would get any better, Zarana and the Dreads get picked up to be held for TREASON! Ho boy!! All those crappy characters AND the Dreads eliminated in one issue???? That would probably have made this issue my very most favorite of all-time, but unfortunately it was just a tease and half the guys buried inside a volcano in a locked freighter would return, lessening the impact of this story, in my opinion. Will it still be enough to make my Top 25? Hmmmmmmm. Magic 8 Ball say - "OUTLOOK HAZY. TRY AGAIN LATER"
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby ER » Tue May 15, 2012 6:07 pm

G.I. Joe #97 (January 1990)

*Canada raid - meh

*Did we really need five pages of SE moping over Scarlett? I like that we get the reveal that she's in a coma and I like seeing SE's former LRRP buddies comforting him, but it seems like this shouldn't have gone beyond two pages.

*The Cobra Island stuff is pretty good. Zartan confronting Fred 7 is exciting. Very fun seeing so many supporting characters from previous issues - Col. Sharif, El Jefe, Prince Ngoto, etc.

*I hate Destro and Baroness retiring - they turn into boring characters here. Fortunately Larry restores them to greatness much later in the outstanding #166 and #167 when they break free of Cobra, reactivate the Iron Grenadiers, and return to the rebuilt Castle Destro! So awesome that Larry has put Destro back where he belongs in the current issues :)

Despite some good stuff in #97, I think this will end up in my "blah" category, all things considered.

In Postbox there is a picture of Cobra Commander with the word "NEXT!" printed above. Based on the conversation between Raptor and Mindbender this seems to imply that there is a clone of CC coming up, and not the return of the real deal. (But I am SOOOOOO happy that it does turn out to be the return of the one and only CC and not some clone :) )
ER
Transforumer

Postby ER » Tue May 15, 2012 6:09 pm

Mamu_Nestor wrote:I'm not sure if you guys have looked up the I Ching or not, but the true Arashikage hexagram means incomplete : | : | : | and the opposite is complete | : | : | :

So does this mean the Arashikage was turned upside down?... LOL Just thought that tidbit was interesting.

Wasn't aware of this - very cool!
ER
Transforumer

Postby shanecdavis » Wed May 16, 2012 5:09 am

ER wrote:In Postbox there is a picture of Cobra Commander with the word "NEXT!" printed above. Based on the conversation between Raptor and Mindbender this seems to imply that there is a clone of CC coming up, and not the return of the real deal. (But I am SOOOOOO happy that it does turn out to be the return of the one and only CC and not some clone :) )

Aha! Thanks for adding this, ER. With that premise, I can see thinking it would be a clone CC from the cover and not the real deal. For the life of me I just cannot remember my initial thoughts. All I remember was being VERY happy to see him show up! Sadly though, those happy feelings would give way when Mr. Hama started writing him with his cartoon persona and would continue to do so until Billy's death in #172. Just one of many reasons it's great having ARAH back!
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby Mamu_Nestor » Wed May 16, 2012 6:09 am

Finally caught up to 96 Hexagram complete. I'm guessing that it refers to coming full circle with SE SS Stalker Wade Collins being back together, with the Destro Baroness backstory added in. Probably meaning that Hama was done with telling back story on SE. I enjoied the SE trilogy there was plenty of action and drama.

Next up... My favorite version of Rock & Roll, but yeah I always gave him a different weapon. I remember that he was the first re-released character (besides SE v2) I had seen. And I remember being taken aback... What was wrong with the original... But then I saw SS v2 and thought Ok this could work. Anyway onward and upward!
Author: Karate is Self-Defense Available at Amazon.com. Kindle version available.
Mamu_Nestor
Transforumer

Postby ER » Wed May 16, 2012 4:25 pm

G.I. Joe #98 (February 1990)
LOVE THIS ONE!! :D

*Amazing to have the true CC back!

*Fantastic "how-I-survived" story with the reveal of his new business ARB Co. and with the CGs on Cobra Island secretly working for him all this time.

*One of the most brutal CC moments ever when he buries his enemies alive in the landlocked freighter! (And for me, the fact that some survive the freighter does nothing to diminish the awesomeness of #98. Heck, I wouldn't have wanted Zartan or Firefly dead anyway. Wish the Mindbender clone had never showed up, though)

ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT

And not only does CC return, but Larry writes the character perfect in #98. A destructive genius who's funny. Best version of CC right here! His personality written perfectly combined with arguably his most ruthless act in the series, combined with the great flashback story, and I have no choice but to call this one of the best CC issues of any continuity, of any publisher.
ER
Transforumer

Postby ER » Wed May 16, 2012 5:56 pm

G.I. Joe #99 (March 1990)
I was trying to space out the reading an issue a day, but just couldn't wait to read more!

*Love the four pages in the buried freighter at the beginning - great, creepy stuff! Wish we could have seen a lot more of this.

*CC inspecting the jail - meh, doesn't do much for me

*Don't like Zarana being so high up in Cobra, but at this point too many of the cool, core Cobras are no longer in the organization, so Larry doesn't really have very many options to work with. And I think that this is still a problem in the current Hamaverse issues. We need to see some better Cobra villains to be with CC than just that dumb Mindbender clone. Larry should use some of the classics more often, like Scrap-Iron or Wild Weasel or create some new hardcore Cobra characters from existing generic Cobra troops. Just like he created Scar-Face from the Cobra Officer figure, or Fred from the Crimson Guard figure, or the infamous SAW-Viper from #109, why not create some new "main characters" from already existing generic Cobra figures? How about a new main character that is a Snow Serpent, or whatever? (yeah, I know, I've harped on this before).

*Mutt/Spirit and Millville - a necessary set-up for #100, I suppose, but not terribly exciting to read, which I guess is the point, showing that the place is washed up and ready to be tempted by Cobra domination.

*Not crazy about the Clutch/R+R brainwash plot

*6 pages on Roxy and Tiff?! Not good...

* Last two pages are awesome, though, when we see Cobra prepping for the Millville operation, Vipers loading into helicopters, etc. with CC at the helm once again - gives me warm fuzzies :)

#99 is a mixed bag with 6 pages of excellence (freighter and Cobra leaving for Millville) and with the rest of the issue not being so hot. Mixing it all together, this one will probably end up in the "blah" category.
ER
Transforumer

Postby shanecdavis » Thu May 17, 2012 6:09 am

Marvel #99 - Calm Before the Storm!

Halfway through this issue I had to double-check to make sure Trimpe was actually credited as the artist. Definitely not his best work. The opening scene had a serious creepy factor to it as we are watching the final moments of the doomed characters (or so I thought). Speaking of the art, I thought it was interesting at just how fast Minh can grow a full beard. Really is amazing. This wasn't the first time it's happened either. He went from beardless in #74 to full beard in #75. Poor guy.

Great call ER about the lack of good COBRA High Command characters. It makes me think waaaay back to #16. COBRA Commander. Major Bludd. Scar-Face. Destro. Dr. Venom. Baroness. Now THAT was a serious collection of scary individuals. Unfortunately, Scar-Face and Venom are both dead, Destro and Baroness are gone, and for some reason Bludd became rarely used by Mr. Hama. All that's left was a pink-haired biker chick with a twin brother that we hardly ever saw. I would like to see Mr. Hama bring back Bludd into COBRA High Command, and then FINALLY introduce Overlord. Talk about a character with untapped potential! I don't necessarily want another power struggle, but he could be brought along slowly, proving his worth in CC's eyes. Another intriguing addition would be Copperhead. Just PLEASE get rid of the Mindbender clone. Such a worthless collection of cells. Would much rather Dr. Knox make a return, and fill that spot Venom left that Mindbender could never fill, in two tries.

The Mutt/Spirit friendship I always found as odd. Clutch and Rock 'N Roll were always a good fit and had a long history of working together and vacationing together. To me, Law or Gung-Ho or Beach Head would have made more sense. I also didn't like the fact that we just had this plot done a few issues ago with Clutch and Rock 'N Roll.

Then there was Roxanne and Tiffany. I would have enjoyed them more if Mr. Hama wouldn't have gone to the well ten too many times. I also found it odd that the C-130 came in blacked-out only to have the sky lit up for its departure. Also, Zarana isn't just an authority on the BWS, now she can ride shotgun in a Python Conquest, which is actually a one-seat cockpit??? Well, I guess if there were two-seated Rattlers back in the day, a two-seated Conquest isn't out of the question. Would have rather the plane have been a one-seater, occupied by Wild Weasel. Just seemed like Zarana was being forced on us, which I didn't care for.

The last two pages were enjoyable....until.....Millville????? WTF???? Overall, this issue was pretty disappointing. After reading #98 I was so excited to see what CC would do next, and then we got this. Heading into such a momentous milestone as the 100th issue, I was hoping for something more I guess.
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby Mamu_Nestor » Thu May 17, 2012 7:30 am

Yeah 97 is kind of eh... I guess they had to throw the Canadian fans something. I agree the best part was SE Flint and Lady Jaye.

98, this was great! CC comes back with a vengeance. Poor Voltar and Tyrone get caught up in the hatred and trapped in the tanker also. Did firefly know about the Fred VII plot? And what about captian Minh? He was trying to kill Fred since he got on the island... Anyway really good issue.

On another note, it will be easier for me to keep up with the reading now that I have the issues on my phone. The digital release is pretty sharp. Vol 1-14 and the yearbook compilation available now, Special Missions coming soon!
Mamu_Nestor
Transforumer

Postby ER » Thu May 17, 2012 6:32 pm

G.I. Joe #100 (April 1990)
I remember buying this during spring break at a mall, while visiting my cousins in Arizona - also bought my first CD that day (Joe Satriani: Flying In A Blue Dream). Didn't have a CD player yet, but I was planning on getting one soon, so I decided to start buying CDs even though I wouldn't be able to listen to them for a little while - ha ha - good times!

Love the CC cover, and it was impressive seeing the big "100" on the cover, my favorite series finally hitting triple digits!

Cobra invades Millville (17 pages): Fantastic! I love the way Cobra Commander is written - totally aggressive, but being a total crack-up at the same time! Kicking the dog, announcing Cobra domination to the town, the speech in front of the flag - "I'm as American as apple pie and motherhood!" :) Yeah, I missed this character during #62-97. Love the plot - yeah, it's fake and too coincidental, but I still love the idea of two Joes trapped in a town that Cobra has taken over and forced to join an underground resistance - very fun! Love the action when Spirit and Mutt take over the HISS II - brutal stuff! And the cliffhanger is awesome, with Uncle Jeff turning the Joes over to the Vipers!

Tiff/Roxy/Clutch/R&R (7 pages): -zzzzzzzzzzzz- Booooooor-iiiiing.

Desert Battle (15 pages): A total blast seeing all those characters and vehicles duking it out! Fabulous vehicle action sequences! Love seeing Dusty in action, in his element! Very cool when the Cobra pilot crashes his jet into the MCC :)

Even though I don't like the Tiff/Roxy stuff, I have to say that #100 delivers big for me - over 30 pages of Joe brilliance!
ER
Transforumer

Next

Return to G.I. Joe