Night of 1,000 Wolves

Discuss newly solicited books, current IDW titles, or anything else randomly related to IDW and their slate of books.

Moderators: Ryall, JohnBarber, Bobby Curnow, Denton J. Tipton, Mariah

Night of 1,000 Wolves

Postby Venom » Sat May 12, 2012 9:37 am

Hey Bobby and co.

I liked the first issue of this triloseries!

The setting and atmosphere evokes fond memories of "Dog Soldiers" and the zombie werewolf is especially disturbing, I'm surprised no one had thought of combining those two sooner!

The story has an epic feel to it, like there is a vastly larger lore shrouding the mysterious wolves and the family caught in the middle.

Kudos to Curnow for crafting a compelling tale and the art by Dave Wachter was fantastic!

I'm truly excited to see where this story goes. :D
Yep, okay to print me!
Venom
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Bovy » Tue May 15, 2012 12:17 am

Seven page preview here: http://issuu.com/idwpublishing/docs/nightof1000wolves_01-preview?mode=window&viewMode=doublePage

Wonderfull painted art, which you don't get to see too often in US comics.
It reminds me more of European albums, which often are done with water colours.
I might pick this up when the TPB is out.
Bovy
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Bobby Curnow » Wed May 16, 2012 9:55 am

Hey thanks very much guys. It's a small book, so every read and mention is extremely appreciated.

Thanks for the kind words about the story, but there's no doubt that it's Dave's show, he's absolutely killing it. (pun! har had) Best is yet to come!
"I've lost all the hamburgers."
Bobby Curnow
IDW Editor

Postby Bovy » Thu May 17, 2012 10:45 am

I mentioned that I may be tradewaiting for this series, and in that case some thoughts occured.
Just thinking out loud here, and it may be a bit too pragmatic/cynical (in that case, sorry..)

It might be tricky to find a good way to collect this series and make it attractive for the book audience.
Facts: 1000 Wolves is a three issue mini series, with a stand alone story, unknown writer, almost unknown artist but with shiny art.
IDW's regular price for three issue mini series is about 14.99$, TPB and HC. Recent examples from my collection are Angel:Barbary Coast and The Ghoul.
But those series have got either brand recognition (Angel) or a famous creator (Bernie Wrightson), to cancel out such a high price for little content.
1000 Wolves got none of those..

So maybe it could be an idea to experiment with either price or size?
(also, it might be room to do that, since the writer already got a full paid day job and doesn't depend on this for a living :wink: )

If so, then my suggestions are:
either a regular TPB, with a price of 9.99 $, or an European sized hardcover (8 x 12 inches) to showcase the art of Wachter, price 14.99 $.

Do I make any sense?
And if I don't, feel free to ignore it.
Bovy
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Venom » Thu May 17, 2012 9:00 pm

I think with the praise this series has garnered with the first issue alone is enough to attract an initial audience for the TPB and hardcover. Personally, the series will shine in the HC format simply due to the beautiful artwork that will no doubt adorn the covers.

So, word of mouth will drive the first push, then as time goes on, folks who stumble across the book will look it up and see it's quality stuff and go back to purchase.

It's sort of how I found Critical Millenium.

All that aside, "werewolf zombies" is enough to pull just about anyone in for a look! :D
Yep, okay to print me!
Venom
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Bovy » Mon May 21, 2012 3:41 am

Long interview with Dave Wachter, with a lot of pictures, here:
http://www.comicmonsters.com/section-article-284-The_making_of_Night_of_1000_Wolves_by_Dave_Wachter.html
It covers both the process of the interior pages and of the cover.
From the first thumbnail outlines, and to pencils, inks and colours.
A very insightful glimse of an artist's work in progress.
Bovy
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Bovy » Thu May 24, 2012 1:14 am

The collection is now listed on Amazon.
It's a TPB, with a price of 17.99 $ and 104 pages (as always, these things can change later on).
I assume that the extraes will be something like B&W artwork, designs and perhaps an interview.
As an artfan, it's always a pleasure to see uncoloured art, specially when the finished pages are done with watercoloures. So I'm quite OK with price vs content.
However, for a casual reader, paying 17.99$ for 66 pages of story, might be a big turn-off.

http://www.amazon.com/Night-1000-Wolves-Bobby-Curnow/dp/1613774109/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1337846603&sr=1-2
Bovy
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Bobby Curnow » Sat May 26, 2012 3:51 pm

Yeah, we'll have lots of B & W art, as well as other behind the scenes stuff in the tpb.

The price point would not be my first choice, but I don't have say in the matter.

Thanks for the nice words!
Bobby Curnow
IDW Editor

Postby Venom » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:46 pm

Bobby Curnow wrote:Yeah, we'll have lots of B & W art, as well as other behind the scenes stuff in the tpb.

The price point would not be my first choice, but I don't have say in the matter.

Thanks for the nice words!

Any word on a hardcover?
Yep, okay to print me!
Venom
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Bobby Curnow » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:13 pm

Nah, just a TPB.
Bobby Curnow
IDW Editor

Postby Venom » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:56 pm

:sadface:

This mini really feels primed for a HC. It's classy, Bobby! :]
Yep, okay to print me!
Venom
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby swordmaster » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:06 am

I recently read it. I liked it. I don't think it was groundbreaking or anything, but it was a good solid story with some great art. I like the fact that it consisted non-stop action and no filler moments. But I would be wary of price before I could honestly recommend it to anyone. Amazon usually gives great discounts, so all is not lost. ;)
swordmaster
Slayer

Postby Sprite » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:50 pm

Shame there's no hardcover. IDW does lovely hardcovers. 8)
OK to print.
D&D/TMNT/MLP/X-Files modding, avatar tech support and shattered trousers repair.
Sprite
Transforumer

Postby Bobby Curnow » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:41 pm

Thanks Swordmaster, I think that's a very fair take on the book!
Bobby Curnow
IDW Editor

Postby swordmaster » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:26 pm

Bobby Curnow wrote:Thanks Swordmaster, I think that's a very fair take on the book!

No problem. :)

Incidentally, will you be working on anything else anytime soon?
swordmaster
Slayer

Next

Return to IDW Projects