TMNT Adv TPB #1 ... 4 issues for $20?

Moderators: Sprite, Bobby Curnow, Venom

TMNT Adv TPB #1 ... 4 issues for $20?

Postby tmntspider » Wed May 02, 2012 11:47 am

Is it me or is the TMNT Adv Vol. 1 TPB coming from IDW over priced at $20 for four issues? Could the be other content into there they are not telling?
tmntspider
Slayer

Postby CommandoJamie7 » Wed May 02, 2012 1:53 pm

I don't think there would be much other content, although alternate covers would be appreciated. Anyway, I support the price cut. We can get rare, 25-year old issues for 9 quid (UK) off Amazon, yet we get some kiddy cartoon-based comic for $5 each! Give us fans some slack! We need to make a living (or tidy rooms for pocket money :roll: !).
OK to print. Just don't say 'Turtle Power'!
CommandoJamie7
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Sprite » Wed May 02, 2012 2:03 pm

How many pages does this book have? That's usually more of a deal-clincher than number of issues. Although four-issue trades aren't uncommon.
OK to print.
D&D/TMNT/MLP/X-Files modding, avatar tech support and shattered trousers repair.
Sprite
Transforumer

Postby mister allen » Wed May 02, 2012 4:47 pm

I was hoping we'd see the value in the TMNT Adventure trades like with how IDW has reprinted the Marvel Transformers series.
mister allen
Comic Book Guy

Postby Dank » Wed May 02, 2012 5:35 pm

Sprite wrote:How many pages does this book have? That's usually more of a deal-clincher than number of issues. Although four-issue trades aren't uncommon.
Dank
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Spengs85 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:32 am

mister allen wrote:I was hoping we'd see the value in the TMNT Adventure trades like with how IDW has reprinted the Marvel Transformers series.

That's kind of what I was anticipating. Something like their GI Joe and Transformers Classics collections and hold 10 issues per volume.

TMNT Adventures had 72 issues. At 4 issues per volume, you're looking at 18 trades for the whole series, NOT counting minis, Specials, one shots and misc. stuff. The double-length Specials alone would take 5 volumes at this pace.

And at $20 bucks a pop, that's $360 just for the main TMNT Adventures series alone.

Plus sales tax.

And at what sort of pace will they be releasing these 4-issue trades? How many a year? Because 18 trades at the usual pave of 4 volumes a year would end up taking 4 1/2 years.

And the BEST stuff doesn't really start until you get to the #50s.

I support IDW, don't get me wrong, and I'm thrilled that we'll be seeing the Archie stuff in print again... But this is not the way to do it.
Spengs85
Forum Zombie

Postby CommandoJamie7 » Thu May 03, 2012 9:49 am

Spengs85 wrote:
mister allen wrote:I was hoping we'd see the value in the TMNT Adventure trades like with how IDW has reprinted the Marvel Transformers series.

That's kind of what I was anticipating. Something like their GI Joe and Transformers Classics collections and hold 10 issues per volume.

TMNT Adventures had 72 issues. At 4 issues per volume, you're looking at 18 trades for the whole series, NOT counting minis, Specials, one shots and misc. stuff. The double-length Specials alone would take 5 volumes at this pace.

And at $20 bucks a pop, that's $360 just for the main TMNT Adventures series alone.

Plus sales tax.

And at what sort of pace will they be releasing these 4-issue trades? How many a year? Because 18 trades at the usual pave of 4 volumes a year would end up taking 4 1/2 years.

And the BEST stuff doesn't really start until you get to the #50s.

I support IDW, don't get me wrong, and I'm thrilled that we'll be seeing the Archie stuff in print again... But this is not the way to do it.

I completely agree. I was originally hoping to see a sort of omnibus format for all TMNT things not IDW or Ultimate Collections. Sort of a Tales of the TMNT Omnibus or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Classics Omnibus (instead of the three standard issues we get) type thing. Oh well. :|
OK to print. Just don't say 'Turtle Power'!
CommandoJamie7
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby roseangelo » Thu May 03, 2012 6:53 pm

I also agree. This is a terrible strategy for the Adventures series and doesn't do it any justice at all.
roseangelo
Comic Book Guy

Postby KM3K » Fri May 04, 2012 6:38 am

I totally agree, but Amazon keeps lowering the price on it. It's almost down to $10 now. I have a preorder in with them to see how low it will go, but I'm not sure I'll end up buying.

I'm ok with the ongoing series being 4 issues per trade since it's a little cheaper and I plan on switching to tradewaiting it instead of buying monthly floppies, so I'll be happy to get it sooner.

Then again, IDW does put out a lot of versions of their trades, so maybe next year we'll see them do collections with a few of these TPBs in each. They did that with Transformers and a lot of other series don't they?
KM3K
Comic Book Guy

Postby DanP » Fri May 04, 2012 7:14 am

I too agree that 4 issues for $20 is steep for the Adventures series. The only thing I'm hoping is that only this first trade is 4 issues due to the way the story goes. The original stories start with #5 anyways. Maybe future trades will be a little thicker like say 5-10 issues at a more reasonable per issue price than $5/issue.

I guess we have to wait and see. At any rate I hope they sell because I agree the better issues in the series are towards the end. I also hope the incorporate the Mighty Mutanimal issues in somehow since they tie directly into the storyline.
DanP
Slayer

Return to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles