TMNT #9: Previews, Reviews, Reactions...

Moderators: Sprite, Bobby Curnow, Venom

TMNT #9: Previews, Reviews, Reactions...

Postby Numero99 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:30 am

Preview of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Ongoing #9

Tom Waltz, Kevin Eastman (w) • Dan Duncan (a) • Duncan, Eastman (c)

Synopsis:
You’d think that General Krang’s arrival in New York City would be bad enough news, right? Oh no, there’s still plenty more misery to go around! The Turtle’s home in the sewers is destroyed thanks to a sinister team-up between Baxter Stockman and Old Hob. Now that the Turtles are homeless, with one of their own captured, things have never looked bleaker for our heroes. The key to their salvation may lie with… April O’Neil??

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

*Variant covers – Ethan Nicolle (Axe Cop) variant!

Bullet points:
New Story Arc! Featuring the Foot Clan!
For reviews of stuff and nonsense.

http://www.freakinawesomenetwork.net/
Numero99
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby SHIFTY » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:14 am

looks good. hope my lcs gets it and I don't have to wait another week.
SHIFTY
Comic Book Guy

Postby Tothenines » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:57 am

A lot to like in this issue, I'm betting on a great arc here.

The whole April introduction scene was great. Not as classic as the scene from the first movie, but still funny and fit this story well. I also loved the nods to Don's and Leo's Micro-series books.

Raphael was on point this whole issue, I love his and Casey's interactions and teamwork. Also dug seeing Raph properly use his sai.

That giant mouser was FREAKY. I don't know what it was about it... but it creeped me out somehow. Cool stuff. More props to Duncan for his pencils on Old Hob, that's easily his best drawn character. Love it.

Also a few things to worry about though... I'm not going to freak out because they could possibly spin this very well, but my gut reaction to Karai being Shredder's Grand-daughter is not a good one. I'm having flashbacks to the 4kids version of her.

However, she seems to be dedicated to the Foot, and seeing as her (inevitable) first fight with the Turtles will come before she has any kind of relationship with them is good. I hated her whole "conflict". Also, we have no idea who that is in the Shredder get-up currently, so Karai might not even be an Oroku.
------------------
http://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=191391P01
Buy comic books at mycomicshop.com!
Tothenines
Transforumer

Postby SHIFTY » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:23 pm

Just finished reading it and just WOW!

I enjoyed the way they brought April in, it was pretty funny.

Using the mouser to get in to Stockgen was awesome!

Not a whole lot of fight scenes but the giant mouser fight more then filled in.

Nice surprise at the end! I totally wasn't expecting that so well done IDW :)

My favorite part was how they took Casey along on this mission! I like how he is portrayed in this comic, sure him and Raph joke around but in this series he is an asset to the Turtles and not a buffoon.
SHIFTY
Comic Book Guy

Postby BrianLynch » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:38 pm

The book gets better every issue. This was my favorite one yet.
BrianLynch
Transforumer

Postby Tothenines » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:16 pm

BrianLynch wrote:The book gets better every issue. This was my favorite one yet.

Still doesn't top #5, but it was definitely the best other than that.
------------------
http://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=191391P01
Buy comic books at mycomicshop.com!
Tothenines
Transforumer

Postby Spengs85 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:03 pm

Here's my review of TMNT #9 at TMNT Entity.

I quite enjoyed the issue!

I take the piss out of it in the review a little, I admit, but I dug quite a bit of what was going on. I'd like to have seen more of Splinter trying to reason with Hob as he did when the series started, as that just seemed more in Splinter's nature than to go on about how his kids were on their way to save his * any minute now. Perhaps I've got my head stuck in "TMNT the Movie" when he showed understanding to Danny while chained in the warehouse. I dunno.

This April's really growing on me and she's really reaching a good balance. She can handle herself, but she isn't quite ready to join the fight just yet. I like that a lot better than just making her a super awesome ninja out of the blue because GIRL POWER! Let her work her way to that level.

And Shredder! Finally! Plus special bonus character Karai!
Spengs85
Forum Zombie

Postby Ninja Turtle Fan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:03 am

This issue was awesome! I'm super stoked about the appearance of "Master Shredder". I was so excited to see that, I almost forgot about the weak fight with the giant mouser... Almost.
Fan since 1987!
Ninja Turtle Fan
Red Shirt

Postby Mamu_Nestor » Wed May 02, 2012 7:28 pm

I'm loving this series. they are doing a great job with it... Despite the headband thing... I won't hold it against them though.
Author: Karate is Self-Defense Available at Amazon.com. Kindle version available.
Mamu_Nestor
Transforumer

Postby Goongasnootch » Thu May 03, 2012 2:18 am

Pretty neat stuff! Lots of twists and turns! Between 8, the Leo Micro, and 9 a lot went on and it all felt like one long narrative that built up to the introduction of the Shredder. I felt like 9 itself was a really quick read, but that's because it was action-heavy (which I like).

Keep it up!
Goongasnootch
Slayer

Postby SacDeChips » Mon May 14, 2012 5:38 pm

I was so excited to see that, I almost forgot about the weak fight with the giant mouser...

Hahaha !! When I saw that mouser, I told to myself ''this will be interesting!!'' and completely forgot about it, the page after , until I read your comment!!

This was another amazing issue!! It was the first cover that i did not see before getting the book and I was very suprised!! WOW !!
Karai and Shredder in the same issue is too much!!

Chet says at the end ''the others like you'' probably meaning others ninja... since he mentions the swords and masks... but could it be other mutants as well... ?
SacDeChips
Private

Postby CommandoJamie7 » Tue May 15, 2012 10:26 am

This was an awesome issue, but I still don't get Karai having purple hair!
OK to print. Just don't say 'Turtle Power'!
CommandoJamie7
I'm kind of a big deal

Return to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles