G.I. Joe: ARAH #178 Preview/Discussion *SPOILERS*

Yo, Joe! The base of operations for your comments is open and ready for your transmissions.

Moderators: JohnBarber, CarlosG86, Bobby Curnow, Mariah, shanecdavis

BEST COVER

Cover A (SL Gallant)
50%
Cover B (Herb Trimpe)
7%
Cover RI (Larry Hama sketch)
21%
Cover RI (Larry Hama sketch)
21%

Total votes : 14

G.I. Joe: ARAH #178 Preview/Discussion *SPOILERS*

Postby destro! » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:43 pm

Image A Image B
Image RI

G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #178

Larry Hama (w) • S L Gallant (a) • Herb Trimpe, Gallant (c)

Cobra is in trouble! The Blue Ninja clan has infiltrated COBRA’s american stronghold and, even with G.I. JOE’s help, they may not be able to stop the destruction. The leader of the Blue Ninjas, a mysterious cyborg that goes by the codename of BN-001, has arrived in Broca Beach as well. And when he goes after SNAKE EYES and BARONESS, his unmatched skills may finally be too much for the silent Arashikage warrior. Prepare for devastation in the newest issue of G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero!

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

*Variant Covers:
¥ Larry Hama variant sketch cover!

PREVIEW:

I can't believe this is being released so soon after #177. Hooray!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... w&id=12215

EDIT: Covers and solicit added and stickified. - Shane
destro!
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Firefly210 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Wow thats great its coming out next week, looks good. I don't dislike the blue ninja storyline but it is definitely time to move on, only one issue to go.
Firefly210
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Leneer1 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:45 pm

Went with cover A. Cover B would be cool if Scarlett didn't look like she was having trouble with her contacts. I agree that the Cyborg Ninja story has been pretty good. Hoping that Hama's next storyline deals with a more down to earth threat for the Joes.
Leneer1
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Mamu_Nestor » Wed May 02, 2012 4:27 am

Leneer1 wrote:Went with cover A. Cover B would be cool if Scarlett didn't look like she was having trouble with her contacts. I agree that the Cyborg Ninja story has been pretty good. Hoping that Hama's next storyline deals with a more down to earth threat for the Joes.

Exactly why I voted for the RI cover. Hama's cover doesn't make Scarlett look crazy or scared.
Author: Karate is Self-Defense Available at Amazon.com. Kindle version available.
Mamu_Nestor
Transforumer

Postby Mamu_Nestor » Wed May 02, 2012 4:30 am

Firefly210 wrote:Wow thats great its coming out next week, looks good. I don't dislike the blue ninja storyline but it is definitely time to move on, only one issue to go.

Not happening until after issue 180
Author: Karate is Self-Defense Available at Amazon.com. Kindle version available.
Mamu_Nestor
Transforumer

Postby Veritas » Wed May 02, 2012 7:59 am

Leneer1 wrote:Went with cover A. Cover B would be cool if Scarlett didn't look like she was having trouble with her contacts.

Ummm... yes, yes most definitely to that.
Or that she had way, way, WAY too much caffine.
Or she saw Snake Eyes kissing the Baroness... that would explain the expression perfectly. Followed by a quick shot to the head.

As for the next Big Bad... I'd love to see a biological weapon come into play. I really loved the Madness Bug arc from CCW until it kinda fizzled out... the end, with Duke and SE, felt anticlimactic, somehow. Or would that be too close to the whole nanomite arc from Disavowed?
~CSV
=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Proud GeekMom and JoeMomma!
My Blog: http://csv1026.blogspot.com
My Fanfic (Stargate SG1, GI Joe, Skulduggery Pleasant): http://www.fanfiction.net/~catwings1026
Veritas
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby shanecdavis » Wed May 02, 2012 8:34 am

I almost voted for the RI, but went with A. I would have voted B if Trimpe would have drawn it the way Mr. Hama did. Him and his crazy eyes. Reminds me of that M&M commercial.
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby Eagleyes » Wed May 02, 2012 2:42 pm

I'm sorry guys, I just can't get into ARAH.
I quit when Sneek Peak showed back up, and thought about coming back but the cyborg blue ninjas are just too sci-fi for me. I can't in good conscience reject Dixon for his sci-fi and then accept Hama just because he's Larry.
Eagleyes
Transforumer

Postby Mamu_Nestor » Wed May 02, 2012 2:54 pm

Eagleyes wrote:I'm sorry guys, I just can't get into ARAH.
I quit when Sneek Peak showed back up, and thought about coming back but the cyborg blue ninjas are just too sci-fi for me. I can't in good conscience reject Dixon for his sci-fi and then accept Hama just because he's Larry.

Your loss, I guess.
Mamu_Nestor
Transforumer

Postby shanecdavis » Wed May 02, 2012 3:08 pm

I hear you, man. I really do. The Terminator angle doesn't appeal to me much either, but I have to tell you that this current storyline is just incredible! Just finished reading #178 and I cannot wait for #179!!! So BN-001 is a cyborg ninjas with four arms. Mr. Hama is pushing the envelop with me on this level of sci-fi, but the story is just so good that I am okay with it. The action is intense and things are starting to come to a head. So hard not to go into detail about this issue!! I'll wait until tomorrow.

For me, there is HUGE difference between the sci-fi Mr. Hama is using and what Dixon is. In ARAH we already have BATs, so a stretch to Terminators isn't too bad. Still wish he went a different direction, but I'm not sure we could have had such a credible threat, to BOTH the Joes and COBRA. Tommy and Snake Eyes struggled taking them down in the beginning, on more than one occasion. Seems Destro/Baroness figured out a weakness and they are using it now. Dixon, on the other hand, uses a level of sci-fi that has no business being associated with G.I. Joe.
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby Firefly210 » Wed May 02, 2012 4:42 pm

Mamu_Nestor wrote:
Firefly210 wrote:Wow thats great its coming out next week, looks good. I don't dislike the blue ninja storyline but it is definitely time to move on, only one issue to go.

Not happening until after issue 180

Pretty sure 179 says that it is the final blue ninja battle and issue 180 is the comic con issue.
Firefly210
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby destro! » Wed May 02, 2012 8:01 pm

There is so much wrong with cover B, those proportions are all off all over the place and the eyes, what it with the eyes on so many of these covers lately? Does the artist need a better pen? Sorry to harp but so many of these covers have decent concepts but poor execution.

On another note, isn't cover 'A' basically the same design as the cover a few issues ago where Snake Eyes was hiding under the desk? And isn't Cover 'B' essentially the same concept as the issue where Blizzard snuck behind that trooper on the ship? I can't remember the issue #'s off the top of my head but I think IDW could step it up sometimes with their covers. Make them pop and maybe they will catch new readers.

I bought cover A but won't dive into reading it until work is done. I am really looking forward to it.
destro!
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby jamarmiller » Thu May 03, 2012 2:48 pm

same with me, really want to, but just cant .
THE ULTIMATE INTERNATIONAL SITE FOR FANS OF ACTION FORCE ( UK GI JOE), THE RED SHADOWS, and ACTION MAN
www.bloodforthebaron.com
Personal page at http://www.myspace.com/jamarandrewmiller
jamarmiller
Forum Zombie

Postby Leneer1 » Fri May 04, 2012 1:27 pm

I have enjoyed the hell out of this G.I. Joe storyline. It feels as if Larry is finally starting to get into writing the series again as opposed to his earlier efforts. Cobra Commander is starting to feel like his old pre-return-from-the-dead self again. The commander here who decides to face BN-001 man to machine with no help from his Vipers is the Cobra Commander I know and love. I'm liking the all out action with Cobra, G.I. Joe, and the Blue Ninjas (and Storm Shadow). I have a feeling that Sensei Moskvina's self-destruct fail-safe will be used to stop BN-001 (or at least his army of cyborg ninjas), but hopefully not before Cobra Commander mops the floor with the overdeveloped can-opener. Oh, and I have a feeling Broca Beach is about to go the way of Springfield. It'd be cool to see Cobra strung out over America, looking for a place to settle down (there's Cobra Island, of course, but I have a feeling Larry's done with that place).

Larry Hama is knocking it out of the park with this series and I'm loving every minute of it.
Leneer1
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Machete Phil » Fri May 04, 2012 3:01 pm

jamarmiller wrote:

same with me, really want to, but just cant .

same with me. i love larry hama's work on marvel arah up to around the end of the cobra civil war, and then, with a few small exceptions, i found the title to be downright unreadable after that point. i thought he'd change the tone when picked up arah again with idw, but sadly that wasn't the case. the storylines are preposterous, the characters are silly, parrots now talk, dogs now smile and understand conversations, cobra commander is a buffoon, dr. mindbender still wears no shirt with a cape, there's little concern for continuity, the joes and the rest of america know exactly where cobra's home base in the united states is, but don't do anything about it, and now sentient robot ninjas have shown up.

to me, it's very similar to what we have experienced with george lucas over the years. amazing, groundbreaking material in the beginning... and then unfortunately not so much after that.

remember the issue of gi joe: cobra where the reboot cobra commander discusses cognitive dissonance with chuckles? i feel like a lot - not all, but a lot - of the fan support for idw's arah can be attributed to cognitive dissonance. fans of larry hama understandably want to support larry hama's work... and when he ends up delivering disappointing results, the result is a discomforting conflict. the best way for fans to eliminate this conflict is to simply convince themselves that the stories are actually great, or maybe good, or at least "not that bad". and as a result, storylines like the blue ninjas - which i find extremely hard to argue that this plotline is any less over-the-top-sci-fi than dixon's mass device or clone zartan - suddenly become acceptable.

anyways, not trying to insult anyone here or anything, because i really like and respect the opinions of most everyone who posts on this board. i just find it interesting that if dixon ever did even half the stuff that mr. hama has been doing over the past year, i believe the reviews would have been much more critical and extreme. and there's just got to be something more to that, i think.

of course, there are also some fans of larry hama who just really legitimately like the tone that he adopted in the later years of arah, and that continues on in idw's arah today. and i say more power to those fans... i'm glad they're getting exactly what they are looking for.

but for me, it's sadly not the case. i WISH i liked idw's arah, but unfortunately, it's just not for me.
But from that point on... Phil Coletti was forever known as... Machete Phil.
Machete Phil
Transforumer

Next

Return to G.I. Joe