TMNT Micro-Series #4 Leonardo Reactions, Reviews, Spoilers..

Moderators: Sprite, Bobby Curnow, Venom

Re: TMNT Micro-Series #4 Leonardo

Postby rich_TMNT » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:12 am

USArmyParatrooper wrote:Hello, Rich. I love your blog! Matt Slay posts from time to time on the CGC board. I'm sure he can shed light on where his variants will be available. He sold me the original :)

Dude, that is sweet! Nice pickup...thanks for sharing the pic! And, glad you like the blog... thank you

This Leo RE cover edition is now available only on eBay BIN listing from brettscomicpile...search for "matt slay ninja turtle" and you'll find it. :)
rich_TMNT
Comic Book Guy

Postby Tothenines » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:55 am

Anyone found the preview yet?
------------------
http://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=191391P01
Buy comic books at mycomicshop.com!
Tothenines
Transforumer

Postby Numero99 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:58 am

For reviews of stuff and nonsense.

http://www.freakinawesomenetwork.net/
Numero99
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Sprite » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:20 am

Love me some Ross art. 8)
OK to print.
D&D/TMNT/MLP/X-Files modding, avatar tech support and shattered trousers repair.
Sprite
Transforumer

Postby ghengis_the_punk_frog » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:25 am

Love the art, but some of the lines and banter during the fight sound more like Raph, or even Mikey, to me than Leo. Specifically the "are you from New York originally?" and "kidnap anyone lately?" Just seems too casual for Leo to me.

EDIT: Nevermind, I get it now :lol:
Last edited by ghengis_the_punk_frog on Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ghengis_the_punk_frog
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby BrianLynch » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:39 am

Hey, Leo is new to interrogating!
BrianLynch
Transforumer

Postby ghengis_the_punk_frog » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:51 am

BrianLynch wrote:Hey, Leo is new to interrogating!

Right after I posted and read through the panels again that occurred to me. For whatever reason, I didn't interpret it as him just not really knowing how or what to ask on my first read through. It makes a ton more sense now, thanks Brian!

I retract my previous comment! :wink:
ghengis_the_punk_frog
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby BrianLynch » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:54 am

No prob, man. He's also a bit overwhelmed when he's trying to interrogate, so he's somewhat flustered. Poor Leo.

Just want to say that I love your name. I would high-five you if that was possible to do over the internet.
BrianLynch
Transforumer

Postby ghengis_the_punk_frog » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:04 am

Haha thanks. I'm secretly hoping the Punk Frogs will make an appearance at some point but I'm not going to get my hopes up too high.

But yeah, sometimes it can slip by me why characters would be acting certain ways, so it's awesome having you on here to give us a bit of the thought process behind the writing. :D
ghengis_the_punk_frog
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Tothenines » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:21 am

No work for me today!!! Getting this sucker ASAP.
------------------
Tothenines
Transforumer

Postby ghengis_the_punk_frog » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:59 am

Mine will have to wait until after work. I'm kind of glad not a lot of people around where I live are into the TMNT, simply because I never have to worry about being unable to grab a new issue right away!
ghengis_the_punk_frog
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Sprite » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:31 am

This was just loverly. A bit light on story (but not in a bad way) - I love Leonardo reflecting on his mother in his past life and how it tied in with the present. And Ross Campbell's art of course = much love. Here's to hoping he'll do more TMNT books in the future!
OK to print.
D&D/TMNT/MLP/X-Files modding, avatar tech support and shattered trousers repair.
Sprite
Transforumer

Postby Tothenines » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:42 am

My thoughts, as originally posted over at The Technodrome:

-----------------

Hmm... I was a little let down by this one. I've read through it twice, but so far it's my least favorite of the Micros. Although I suppose that could change. It took me months to fully enjoy Mikey's issue for some reason.

I loved Ross's art, but the fight choreography left plenty to be desired. Leo did do some cool ninja stuff though, like hanging off those pipes.

I loved Jay's coloring in Infestation 2, but if felt kinda flat here. To me, at least. I think it looked insanely good on some panels, like that first close up, then the one where he's crying, then once he takes on the mystery ninja (Shredder, I suppose) in the rain, as well as the very last panel. But overall it didn't feel like his A game.

The story as a whole read a little too quickly (I've got to quit reading the God damned on-line previews) and I don't really like how the solicitation blurb called it an "essential issue" when I'm sure it will be adequately summed up in the first two pages of next weeks issue. The fact that we saw Leo's flashbacks becoming more powerful was cool, and "Shredder's" ominous dialogue has left me even more excited for #9 (Leo's last line was great, too), but I would have liked to see Leo either actually get some answers, or really get beaten with in an inch of his life.

My expectations were definitely set too high, since Eastman and Laird's Leo Micro is probably my favorite comic of all time. I'm sure I'll appreciate it more once the on-going progresses a little further and answers my burning questions.
------------------
Tothenines
Transforumer

Postby Numero99 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:24 pm

Loved this issue - probably my favorite Micro of the bunch.

Here's my full review, but the short version is I love Ross Campbell's art and Lynch's narration through Leo's internal dialogue really upped the drama of the issue. The way he painted Leo as the kind of leader who heaps all the responsibility on himself to the point of making a mistake was great and the involvement of Leo's mom paralleled with the homeless lady was pretty touching for a one-shot.
For reviews of stuff and nonsense.

http://www.freakinawesomenetwork.net/
Numero99
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Spengs85 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:07 pm

Here's my review of TMNT Microseries #4: Leonardo at TMNT Entity.

I love Campbell's art and I dug what Lynch was doing with the flashbacks; a great way to show what the reincarnation angle brings to the table in terms of emotional weight. And the fight with "scar-face" was pretty great, as it made him out to be way beyond the Turtles and I think we all know who he's going to turn out to be.

Now, what I DIDN'T care for was how easily Leo punked all those Foot Soldiers. This was their first appearance, after all, and introducing them as cardboard targets to be knocked over with ease only serves to diminish their threat as villains. I'm fine with the Foot turning into fodder once the Turtles improve their skills later down the line, but as jokes right off the bat? Not doing them any favors.

All in all, though, I think this was a good continuation of the story and I'm REALLY looking forward to TMNT #10, now.
Spengs85
Forum Zombie

PreviousNext

Return to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles