Freshly Sired (Buffy Chat) Thread II

Drop any comments about Joss Whedon's Angel, Spike or any of the related titles in this space, whether you have a soul or not.

Moderators: Ryall, Bobby Curnow, Mariah

Postby Buffyversefantic » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:25 am

Jane Espenson You Tube video interview.At the 7 minute mark she talks a bit about her season 9 arc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... YzLYj_WKHM

1)She's already finished her season 9 story.

2)It's being drawn right now by the artist and two new characters are being designed.

3)It's a thing that fans of Buffy and fans of her series Husbands are both going to especially enjoy(The new male gay character).

4)Georges Jeanty is not the artist on Jane Espenson's S9 story.It's another artist.
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:46 am

Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:43 am

New Scott Allie interview.Confirms some things about the next arc.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/54077/ ... cott-allie

New Info and Images from Dark Horse Comics Senior Managing Editor Scott Allie

By Doctor Gash
March 27th, 2012

Scott Allie is a busy man. Aside from his usual responsibilities as the senior managing editor at Dark Horse Comics, he's taken on new writing endeavors, and this weekend he finds himself as a guest of honor at the World Horror Convention (March 30-April 1) in Salt Lake City.

Allie has been named Editor Guest of Honor for the 2012 World Horror Convention. He joins his partner in crime, Mike Mignola, who will also be in attendance. Mignola is Artist Guest of Honor for 2012 (Sherrilyn Kenyon is Author Guest of Honor this year). This event also features the Horror Writers Association Bram Stoker Award ceremony, for which Dark Horse Comics has been nominated in multiple categories.

Allie has recently returned to the writer's chair, creating stories for new issues of B.P.R.D. and Buffy the Vampire Slayer with the first issue of B.P.R.D. releasing this week (March 28) and Buffy dropping next Wednesday (April 4). Amongst all this business, Allie had a chance to sit down and talk with Dread Central to get our readers caught up on the goings-on at Dark Horse Comics and the World Horror Convention.

"I think we're on a few panels together," Allie said, discussing his participation in this weekend's World Horror Convention with Mike Mignola. "He's got a spotlight panel on him, and I'm doing some writing and art workshops so I hope there are some aspiring cartoonists in Salt Lake City or I'll be awful lonely. I think they also have me doing some pitch sessions, a panel on Buffy with Buffy novelist Alice Henderson, and a panel on humor in horror, which is nice timing because that was the theme of Orycon last year in Portland, where I was also guest of honor. So I've done a lot of thinking on the topic."

Allie discussed the desire to take a more horror-minded approach to some of his upcoming work. "Mike (Mignola) and I wanted to do more horror stories," Allie said, discussing the new B.P.R.D. issue. "The stories that (John) Arcudi is focused on in the regular stories tend to be more action adventure, which kind of works better in comics, particularly in comics where the main characters have to survive everything they confront. Not that we're above killing our main characters once in a while, but you can't do it every story arc. In doing this story, we initially set out to deal with the vampire history of the Hellboy world, but then it took some detours, with some more Lovecraftian stuff. A couple of agents go to investigate a town that's suddenly been vacated after a strange mist has settled in. They encounter a professorial type who's here investigating the history of vampires and can't explain how the mist connects to the vampires. And things go badly from there."

Allie's new work on the Buffy series follows along with the abortion story arc. "After Buffy decided to terminate her pregnancy, she realized she was not in fact pregnant, but actually a robot," Allie said. "My story sees her sort of reeling from her recent experience, while trying to figure out what happened to her real body. Buffy has been on the outs with her fellow Slayers ever since she destroyed the connection between the earth and the magical realms. One of those Slayers has a particular plan in mind that Buffy has to deal with in this arc."

Discussing the horror aspects of the upcoming comics, Allie dished some info. "Buffy's not really all about the horror, but I think we get into some nicely dark emotional places. She's been to a bad place, and that's what I love about horror fiction.
But with the B.P.R.D. stuff, Pickens County and subsequent Transformation of JH O'Donnell one-shot, we're really doing traditional horror, more so than I think you normally get in comics. B.P.R.D. does sort of work like 'X-Files,' but with these side projects that Mike and I are doing, it's nice in that it's more like the non-mythology episodes of 'X-Files'. And it's the agents that change from story to story, as well as the investigation itself."

Synopsis of Upcoming Dark Horse Comics

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 9 #8-#10, written by Scott Allie and Andrew Chambliss, art by Cliff Richards, covers by Phil Noto. Buffy's pregnancy scare comes to an end when she discovers she's actually a Buffy-bot. Now the robot version of Buffy must team with Spike to recover her real body, with the help of Andrew Wells, who's responsible for the whole situation. Season 8's Rogue Slayer Simone returns to center stage as well.

Sounds like Scott flatly confirms Buffy,the real Buffy is and never was pregnant.Also confirms Andre is behind this.
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Shade of Pale » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:11 pm

I'm not so sure, Buffyversefantic. It could be that Scott is protecting the next big twist because otherwise the story just doesn't work. Who knows, though. :?
Shade of Pale
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:21 pm

Shade of Pale wrote:I'm not so sure, Buffyversefantic. It could be that Scott is protecting the next big twist because otherwise the story just doesn't work. Who knows, though. :?

Agreed that this could be a cover for the next big turn.If it isn't though then it feels a bit like Batsu last season.
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:32 pm

First Advanced review for Buffy S9 # 8.

http://www.bamfas.com/2012/03/review-bu ... me-part-1/

Review – Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 9 #8 – Apart Of Me Part 1

By Jenny – March 30, 2012

Script: Andrew Chambliss and Scott Allie
Pencils: Cliff Richards
Inks: Andy Owens
Colors: Michelle Madsen
Cover: Phil Noto
Alternate Cover: Georges Jeanty with Dexter Vines and Michelle Madsen
Created By: Joss Whedon
Published By: Dark Horse

It’s finally here, after what seemed like an eternity, we finally get answers! Buffy, after losing her arm and finding out she’s not human (?) is not having the best day. She’s pissed and she wants to know what the hell is going on. She and Spike go to Andrew and demand an explanation, there’s some pregnancy talk amongst other things but Andrew in a, “what’s the big deal” kind of way, is not giving Buffy what she needs. After a little prodding, he spills the beans and explains the entire thing! Buffy and Spike are confused, hurt and mostly just mad. There is a little bit of Spuffy action followed by a very angry Spike. We also check in with Xander and Dawn, who it seems like we really haven’t seen for an eternity and all does not seem well there. Finally, a nasty makes their return but as of now their intentions are unknown.

This issue wasn’t bad but it did feel like a couple really complex storylines were wrapped up quite easily. The pregnancy, the Buffy Bot, all taken care of, just like that! There was some mention of the Siphon and not wanting to get too spoilery, the nasty who returns (again) could be interesting especially because they didn’t do what would have been expected of them. Having Andrew in this issue provided some laughs, his goofiness and obliviousness are always great. The art was good and so was the dialog but ultimately it just felt like it was missing something. Obviously, it’s a must read for those of us who were dying at the end of the last issue but don’t expect too much, hopefully this new arc will get everything back on track!

Release Date: April 11th, 2012
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:10 am

Second advanced review for Buffy S9 # 8.

http://comicsgrinder.com/2012/03/31/buf ... -8-review/

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER SEASON 9 #8 Review

It’s nice to take things slow but it’s also awesome to gun it. Season 9 takes off with the new arc, “Apart (Of Me).” It seems like each page is full of plot development, and in a good way. There is even some sly reference made to Season 8. So much is going on. As you will recall from last ish, Buffy is having quite the identity crisis. Caught in the crossfire of the vampire wars, Buffy lost a limb! And sparks began to fly, as in robotic limb and, well, robotic being. This leaves Spike, her lover and her protector, with much to explain and so the two are off to find answers. They begin by blasting into the bedroom of a perfect Whedonesque man-child genius, Andrew. With all his action figures scattered about, his room more of a mess than usual, it is this bewildered dude who holds the key to Buffy’s future.

First thing’s first, Andrew offers Buffy a new arm, that is if she doesn’t mind another left arm since that’s all he’s got in stock at the moment. On to more tangibles, Andrew lets Buffy know why she’s not exactly Buffy. It was all an elaborate plan to help her! It’s complicated and well worth letting you find out the particulars. Let it be said that the script is crisp and sizzles with Andrew Chambliss and editor Scott Allie. And the art finds its feet with Cliff Richards (pencils), Andy Owens (inks) and Michelle Madsen (colors). We’re seeing here a more determined, energetic and downright righteous Buffy.

We appear to have more interesting give and take between the characters. And that has to do, to some degree, with the hightened action and he addition of Andrew. The tension between Buffy and Spike takes a new turn as Buffy becomes more vulnerable and more appreciative of Spike. Or is that the bot part of Buffy that is confusing things? Andrew appears regularly as spot on comedy relief. He tries to befriend, outwit, and even command Spike’s own coachroach A-Team. They aren’t having any of that. For the most part, they don’t even understand what he’s babbling about. It’s all nervy prattle to them but, to us Whedon fans, it’s all snarkalicious good fun.

What’s not so much fun, is back on the beat with Detective Dowling and his fight against the zompires. He’s dealing with one slain detective, Miranda Cheung, and its aftermath. And, suffice it to say, Buffy is going to go through quite a lot of changes in the next couple of issues. Everything is set in place. Get Issue 8 on April 11. And visit Dark Horse Comics for more info.
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:27 am

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=37902

ECCC12: The Art of the Whedonverse

At a spotlight panel at Emerald City Comicon, Dark Horse showcased the art and process of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel and Faith" illustrators Georges Jeanty, Phil Noto and Andy Owens.

Marissa Nolan-Layman, Guest Contributor

http://www.comicbookresources.com/asset ... 207319.jpg
http://www.comicbookresources.com/asset ... 207321.jpg
The artists of Dark Horse's Whedonverse titles spoke about their process at Emerald City Comicon.

This year at Emerald City Comicon, Dark Horse wanted to do something a little different from their usual panels and highlight the steps of making a comic and the different individuals involved in that process. Dark Horse’s Director of Publicity Jeremy Atkins was joined by "Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 9" artist Georges Jeanty, cover artist Phil Noto and inker Andy Owens for a discussion of their work on Joss Whedon-created titles including "Buffy," "Angel & Faith," and "Dollhouse."

A slideshow of the different steps of the process involved in taking a comic from small, rough layout sketches to 11” x 17” pages on to the inked and then colored final art pages.

Jeanty said that, while he does have his own style, he really admires Mike Mignola's “Hellboy” and has tried to emulate that in his work on “Buffy.” He shared an exclusive with the crowd to answer any internet rumblings; page 17 of “Buffy Season 9" #7 was swiped from issue #3 of the “Wolverine” limited series.

Jeanty also shared that when he came on board with “Buffy” he was not a fan of the show and had never watched it. He has now seen the entire series as well as just about everything Joss Whedon has created thus far. In the beginning he would question Whedon on the direction of the story saying things like “I don’t think Buffy would do this.” Whedon was very receptive to his comments and would either agree or give him very thoughtful reasons for his decisions.

One thing that Whedon made clear was that while this is a comic based on an established show, he was insistent that Buffy looked like Buffy and not Sarah Michelle Gellar; the same went for the other characters. The one place this did not apply to was the cover artwork. Phil Noto shared that he uses Google image searches for references on his likenesses for the covers. And that the only cast member who he has had to go through numerous rounds of revisions was Michelle Trachtenberg's Dawn, who coincidentally has never been on one of Noto's “Buffy” covers. When it comes to an actor’s likeness in a comic of this nature, they have the option to approve or request revisions of the image.

Noto shared how his process is entirely digital. He does his sketches digitally, when the final image is selected he then digitally colors and submits it. He said that covers tend to be much easier in terms of actors' likenesses because the artist do not have to capture as much emotion as is required within the story art. But, Noto said, he does have to convey the feeling of an entire issue without having access to the script so sometimes that can be difficult. When someone from the audience asked him what character in the Whedonverse he would like to draw but hasn’t yet, he answered “[The crew of] 'Serenity' would be awesome, also Lorne from Angel.”

Another question from the audience was “how many seasons of Buffy can we expect?” Atkins said that Dark Horse hopes for many more but the story will go at the very least through season 10. By far the most amusing question from the audience was “If the world doesn’t end in December of this year can you write that Buffy saved us,” The response to that from Atkins was “Someone needs to tweet that.”

While the panel focused more on process than exclusive reveals, some fans mentioned as they were heading out of the room that they would have liked to see more concept art and and a more diverse conversation of the “Art of the Whedonverse” instead of focusing so much on “Buffy.” On the whole, though, the crowd appreciated the behind-the-scenes look at the making of a comic.

ETA

http://buffyfest.blogspot.com/2012/03/b ... -with.html

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Buffyfest talks Horror and comics With Scott Allie (Part 1)

Most readers of this site know Scott Allie for his work writing and editing the Buffy comics, but he's been working in funny books for a long time. One of Scott's biggest passions is the horror genre, so while he's the editor guest of honor at World Horror Convention, we thought it would be the perfect time to give you a little more insight into not only Scott, but also some of the other great titles we've been reading through Dark Horse. Look out for part 2 of this interview where we chat about Buffy and the first issue Scott's written this season, the upcoming #8.

Buffyfest: What, to you, defines a great, classic, traditional horror story?

Scott Allie: One of the things I love about horror is how broad a genre is, how many different things it can be. I love a horror story that gets you really caring about the characters, and where mood and atmosphere and pacing and weird, out-of-the-ordinary events keep the reader off-kilter and scared for the characters and even for themselves. This can be so many things.

Buffyfest: Can you remember the first horror story that really and truly scared you? What was it about that story that got to you?

SA: I might say Salem's Lot, by Stephen King. The town he was writing about could have been the town I grew up in in Massachusetts, and I remember many times reading the book over the years being paralyzed with fear. For all the supernatural melodrama, the settings and the characters convinced me that it could really be happening, that the world was really that dangerous. Probably the fifth time I read that book, in college, I was up till four a.m. reading it, terrified, and realized I had to call it a night, and that I had to go the bathroom. I walked out of my girlfriend's dorm room, out into the brightly lit hallway, and stared down the hallway, about a hundred feet to the bathroom door. And I just decided it wasn't worth it, that brightly lit hall was too scary, and I would wait till morning. I'd first read the book when I was about eight years old, and it scared me just as much at twenty. But the earliest memorable scares, for me, were the Wicked Witch in The Wizard of Oz, which once caused me to run screaming out of the kitchen where I was watching with my mom on a little black and white television set. She haunted my dreams for years.

Buffyfest: Aww. Well, a lot of people who know you primarily through Buffy might not know your background. How did you get into funny books and how did you get yourself from reader to editor/writer over the years?

SA: The first comics I read were in junior high school, Frank Miller's Wolverine series. That drew me in, but when I discovered horror comics, particularly underground horror comics of the 1970s, that's what really made me fall in love with the artform. I really dedicated myself to it, steered my college education around it, and found that what I loved more than anything was making books, comics in particular. I produced a lot of work in college, which got me a job at a literary magazine, and the job paid well enough that I was able to finance some self-published horror comics, which then got Dark Horse's attention and got me the job there.

Buffyfest: What other comics did you read growing up?

SA: The underground stuff was most exciting—Skull and Slow Death. They were hard to find, and Creepy and Eerie were the next best thing, as well as some Bernie Wrightson and Bruce Jones horror comics that Pacific Comics was reprinting at the time. This was in the early eighties, when Marvel and DC weren't doing much good horror, and Dark Horse wasn't around yet. Pacific was a company I loved a lot during that time. I also read a lot of superhero stuff, but I kept losing interest in it. Frank Miller's work would always rekindle my interest in superheroes, keep me around a little longer, and actually his great Batman stuff indirectly led me to Alan Moore's great Swamp Thing stuff, which were maybe the best horror comics of the 1980s, the books that ultimately got me to dedicate my life to this stuff. Alan's run of Swamp Thing is way better than Watchmen in my opinion.

Buffyfest: We know you’re doing some workshops at World Horror Con, what’s the most common advice you give to writers and artists when they’re struggling to break into the comic industry?

SA: Well, the most easily applied advice is this: Work small, don't commit to your magnum opus before you've really cut your teeth. A lot of people who are just learning how to write or draw comics want to start by doing a 50-issue epic, and they need to scale down their ambition to work that they can tackle, complete, and then, as they improve ... throw that early work away and not feel bound to it forever. The other thing I want to tell people is to know what it is they want to do, know why they're trying to make this happen. If what they really want to do is tell their own stories, have freedom to express themselves, they should not necessarily focus on getting good-paying work from Marvel or DC. They need to know what they want to do, and they need to look at the industry and see where they might be able to do that. And that's hard to do, but I think you might be wasting everyone's time waiting in portfolio review lines if you don't have a good answer to, "What do you want to do"?

Buffyfest: So the BPRD stuff you’re doing right now is meant to hit that classic horror sweet spot. Talk about the challenges and the benefits of the comic medium when delving into the horror genre.

SA: I think one of the most important aspects of writing in terms of executing a horror story is pacing—and pacing is one of the hardest things to control in comics. In film, the director totally controls the pace; second per second, he decides how the story rolls out. In prose, it's different, but still, the writer controls how the information rolls out. In comics, it's not just easy to skip ahead—it's hard not to. If I want to do a really slow, silent scene, where there's no words, and the reader just lingers over silent images ... there is nothing I can really do to stop the reader from glancing over the panels and skipping to the next word balloon. If I have a very slow-paced thing at the end of which, surprise, the monster jumps out of a cake, the only way I can manage that surprise is to put the cake monster at the top of a left-hand page, so you see it on the page turn. But it's not just about surprises—every aspect of pacing is harder in comics than other media, and pacing is uniquely important in horror.

Buffyfest: In BPRD: The Pickens County Horror, we’re dealing with some Hellboy vampire mythos, how do vampires fit into the Hellboy world? When you and Mike Mignola talked about vampires for this story, what vampire lore influenced you?

SA: Mike loves vampires, but vampires have been relatively scarce in the Hellboy world. There is a reason for that, which we're just starting to unveil. It was hinted at in BPRD: 1946 & 1947. It was hinted at in Hellboy: The Sleeping and the Dead. But Pickens County finally reveals what the vampires have been doing. Mike's reference points for vampire lore are very classic, Dracula and earlier, but we talked a lot, with Pickens County, about Near Dark. Also, of course, Lovecraft plays into it a bit.

Buffyfest: I read Ragemoor #1 a week ago and LOVED it. I know you’re editing that book, so I was hoping you could give us a little background on it. How did the project come about and what attracted you to it?

SA: THANK YOU. Corben and Strnad are the guys that were blowing my mind when I was a kid looking for REAL horror comics, in the tradition of Poe and Lovecraft and Weird Tales. I love working with Corben—it's an incredible honor. The way Ragemoor came about, as I understood it, is that Richard approached Jan to do a Poe adaptation. Corben just wanted to do Poe. Jan felt they'd done that, and wanted to do something original, but with overtones of homage. What they've done is FAR more interesting to me than any adaptation could have been. I haven't read a comic like this in years. Working with these two has been spectacular for me. At the same time, Corben wanted to get some Poe out of his system, so he's adapting some less well known Poe stories in DHP. So everyone wins.

Buffyfest: What other horror comics do you have cooking right now?

SA: Well, on April 2, our YouTube program beings on Felicia Day's Geek and Sundry channel, and we're kicking it off with a week long serialization of the horror comic The Secret, turned into a motion-comics/animated feature. It's Mike Richardson, my boss, doing a modern, teen-slasher-type horror story, but with a more classic approach. The art, by Jason Shawn Alexander, is awesome. Also, we're announcing a new horror series this weekend at Emerald City Comic Con, Paul Tobin and Juan Ferreyra's Colder. A real dark psychological thing. We've got some more cool horror comics to announce at Chicago's C2E2 next month, along with some Buffy announcements that we should talk about in advance ...

Buffyfest: Can't wait to hear all about it. Thanks as always, Scott!

In addition to BPRD: Picken's County Horror and Ragemoor (both very much worth your time), Dark Horse has a number of other titles out now I'm enjoying, including Conan the Barbarian (with art by the sensational Becky Cloonan), Dark Matter (think Alien meets Firefly), the delightfully disturbing adaptation of The Strain, and (my personal favorite) Lobster Johnson.

World Horror Con is at the downtown Raddison Hotel in Salt Lake Ciy this weekend through Sunday April 1st.

Part 2 of this interview will cover Buffy and Scott's upcoming co-writing duty on the next arc starting in Buffy # 8
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:57 am

Third advanced review for Buffy S9 # 8.

http://www.comicbooked.com/buffy-season ... ak-review/

Buffy (Season Nine) #8 – Sneak Review

Posted by Nicole Sixx in Comic Books, Reviews

** The following review while careful not to reveal any actual spoilers from this issue, it does tease the reader with hints as well as spoilers from issues past. Please feel free to purchase issue eight on 04/11/2012 **

The quest to figure out why Buffy is a robot and where the “real” Buffy is begins. Buffy and Spike seek answers and find them rather quickly actually. Readers who were as confused as I was at how Buffy could have been “pregnant” and a robot will be pleased to have a reasonable explanation.

Spike and Buffy have another heartfelt moment that touches once more on the issues that I mentioned were coming to a head in the last issue. Meanwhile back at Dawn and Xander’s place Detective Dowling comes a-knocking as the Zompire plot continues to brew.

Finally, given the ending of this issue, #9 promises to be very intense. I’m sitting on edge already. -N
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:54 am

Brief CBR Editorial on Buffy Season 9.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/20 ... oove-back/

The Middle Ground #97 | How Buffy got her groove back

There were, let’s face it, numerous warning signs about Buffy: The Vampire Slayer Season Nine, not least of all the way that Season Eight had turned out. But adding a second ongoing book to the line? Joss Whedon only writing the first issue instead of the first arc, because of his commitments to Marvel’s The Avengers? There was, it seemed, little possibility that the series could regain the support or excitement it had at the launch of Season Eight. And then, to quote Jarvis Cocker, something changed.

To be fair, the change had actually started with the final issue of Season Eight, which ended with a text piece from Whedon where he broke the hidden golden rule about making comics: Never admit that you’re wrong. In his trademark good humored tone, Whedon admitted that parts of Season Eight had strayed a little from what made Buffy Buffy, and had gotten so used to the idea of “It’s comics! With no budget worries, we can do anything!” that the question of “Is doing anything necessarily a good idea?” sometimes got left behind. It was a short essay that, in one fell swoop, won back a lot of the goodwill that the series had lost over its forty issue run just by being honest and recognizing some of the problems that had plagued the series throughout its run.

There was something to that, to the idea that the creators were aware of some of the things that had turned readers, turned me off the series up until that point. And yet, the nervousness about the new series remained: Two monthly series, including one starring the character many fans believed was “ruined” forever by Season Eight? Surely that would be disaster! And yet… Angel and Faith is, for me, the better of the two Buffy series these days, a surprisingly great book that jumps off from the events of Season Eight but doesn’t feel weighed down by them, with wonderful art by Rebekah Isaacs.

Buffy, too, is a surprisingly improved book. Whether it was the reaction to Season Eight or simply the new start afforded by the break and new volume, it has a focus and a level of “reality” — well, Buffy reality, at least — that the previous series didn’t, and new writer Andrew Chambliss manages to not only get the Whedon tone exactly right – The reveal at the end of #7 was spectacular, and seemed to fit in with some classic moments from the television series – but also makes it work in comic format in a way that the previous series didn’t.

There are, of course, still some problems with Season Nine, but those are more fanboy nitpicking than what was there before (Seriously, I am done with Spike already), but overall…? Buffy as a franchise has, against all odds, found its feet in comics in a way that I genuinely wouldn’t have expected to this far into its comic existence, and turned into a couple of series that I’ve found myself really looking forward to each month. Guess she somehow found a way to save her world (a lot) one more time.
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:01 am

Joss talks about the abortion subject in Buffy in this video interview for Cabin in The Woods.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/video/2012/apr/06/joss-whedon-cabin-in-the-woods-buffy-video

The Buffy talk starts at 2.25 seconds.

I think it adds insight into the reveal of the robot at the end of # 7.Basically Joss is saying it isn't the act of having the abortion but the fact that Buffy diecided on that and said it out loud..My take is that Joss is saying here,it isn't important if in the end the abortion is unnecessay(because it was the robot and Buffy actually wasn't pregnant) but the fact that Buffy came to this decison before finding out in the end it wasn't necessary.
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:04 am

Dark Horse Jully 2012 Solicitations and covers.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=38004

EXCLUSIVE: Dark Horse Advance Solicitations for July, 2012

Dark Horse has provided CBR News with an exclusive first look at their July titles including the latest from "Buffy Season 9," "Dark Horse Presents" and more.

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER SEASON 9 #11

Andrew Chambliss (W), Georges Jeanty (P/Variant cover), Nathan Massengill (I), Dexter Vines (I), Michelle Madsen (C), and Phil Noto (Cover)

On sale July 11
FC, 32 pages
$2.99
Ongoing

Buffy is trying something new—not Slaying. WHAT?! Enter Kennedy. Slayer. Ex-girlfriend of magicless Willow. Bossy. She’s joined a company that hires Slayers to act as bodyguards for high-profile clients, and Buffy is her most recent recruit. But Buffy is having a little trouble letting go of Slaying. Things that go bump in the night are kinda her forte. Luckily . . . her first client is having some woeful demon trouble that Buffy can’t wait to sink her stake into.

• Executive produced by Joss Whedon!
• Buffy the bodyguard!
• Kennedy returns!

Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Shade of Pale » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:52 am

Buffyversefantic wrote:Joss talks about the abortion subject in Buffy in this video interview for Cabin in The Woods.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/video/2012/apr/06/joss-whedon-cabin-in-the-woods-buffy-video

The Buffy talk starts at 2.25 seconds.

I think it adds insight into the reveal of the robot at the end of # 7.Basically Joss is saying it isn't the act of having the abortion but the fact that Buffy diecided on that and said it out loud..My take is that Joss is saying here,it isn't important if in the end the abortion is unnecessay(because it was the robot and Buffy actually wasn't pregnant) but the fact that Buffy came to this decison before finding out in the end it wasn't necessary.

I got that impression as well, which if it is so, is highly disappointing to me and a waste of all the set-up. The pregnancy storyline did have the benefit of a good deal of emotional resonance. After the power of issues 5 and 6, this series has gone seriously off the boil. The latest solicitation sounds thoroughly ininspired and underwhelming as well. Thank goodness for Willow and Connor turning up on A & F. Something to cheer about, there, at least.
Shade of Pale
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:02 am

The title of the next Buffy arc starting in Buffy # 11 is,"Guarded" according to Scott Allie on twitter.

http://twitter.com/#!/ScottAllie

SlayAlive‏@SlayAliveForum

@ScottAllie Could you tell us what the title of the Buffy arc after "Apart (of Me)" is?

Scott Allie‏@ScottAllie

@SlayAliveForum Guarded.
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:48 pm

Fourth advanced review for Buffy S9 # 8.

http://speakgeekytome.com/2012/04/buffy ... ic-review/

Buffy Season 9 #8 – Comic Review

The major comic companies put out enough comics that sometimes it can leave your head spinning and eyes bleeding as you search the new titles each week for something worth reading. To aid in your Geeky endeavors, Speak Geeky To Me on occasion reviews new titles from the major companies to spotlight the best and worst of what’s available at your local comic shop. So sit back, relax, and enjoy a new Comic Review.

Info Bit

Title: Buffy Season 9 #8

Genre/s: Vampire/Comedy/Dram

Writers: Andrew Chambliss (Dollhouse) & Scott Allie (Star Wars: Jedi-The Dark Side)

Penciler: Cliff Richards (Dollhouse, Flashpoint: Hal Jordan)

Inker: Andy Owens (Green Arrow, Trinity)

Colorist: Michelle Madsen (Batman: Gotham After Midnight)

Publisher: Dark Horse

Page Count: 22

Price: $2.99

The Review Bit

After the surprising conclusion to Buffy #7, that left our protagonist armless and a little more cyborg-y than we’re used to, issue #8 was bound to be interesting. Of course, the part that makes this issue truly interesting is that it is Andrew heavy issue. Andrew Wells, for those of you Buffy readers that are a little less familiar, is the fun loving gay Geek who first appeared in season 6 of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV series (a little before that lovely musical episode). Being a true Geek, the scenes involving Andrew are packed to death with awesome little Geek references and a whole ton of Star Trek jokes. There is even a great nod to the comic series’ executive producer, Joss Whedon, as at one point Andrew blatantly holds up an Avengers T-shirt in this Dark Horse comic book.

As we might expect with any robo-Buffy moment, Andrew is of course involved. Spike and Buffy interrogate him and we finally get the background of what Buffy did that drunken night back in issue #1 of season 9. Surprisingly this issue is packed with a lot of implied female nudity, which is both ironic and hilarious in an issue focusing so heavily on an obviously (but as of yet un-closeted) gay character. So any fans dying to see what the naked back of Buffy or a few other females in this comic series might look like…this is $3 you simply must spend.

As always with Dark Horse’s Buffy comics, the spirit of the show continues on here to perfection, as editor Scott Allie runs a tight ship with high standards for the loving, if not obsessive, fans of the show and characters. Most of this team actually worked together on Dark Horse’s Dollhouse comic series in fact. And though Georges Jeanty is not handling the pencils on this storyline, Cliff Richards (who will be the penciler for the upcoming Drusilla mini-series) does a brilliant job making the change over very smooth. I might go so far as to say that Cliff Richards is doing a better job that Jeanty did. Buffy #8 is just part 1 of the new C:\>apart (of_me) storyline, but it’s certainly a brilliant start.

The Rating Bit

Pandering so beautifully to the Geek fnas of the series, with its countless little references and jokes, as well as really returning the supporting cast to the series, Buffy #8 is a truly fun read. Throw in a little bit of implied nudity, funny jokes, and good art, you create an issue of Buffy that even non-Buffy fans might want to pick up. Buffy season 9 #8 is a great read, well deserving of the 8 out of 10 we are giving it. Sure the interior art could be a little more like its regularly lovely covers from Noto (and Jo Chen in the past), but the writing is positively hilarious. Make sure to pick up a copy when it goes on sale this Wednesday.
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

PreviousNext

Return to Angel