Name that Joe!

Yo, Joe! The base of operations for your comments is open and ready for your transmissions.

Moderators: JohnBarber, CarlosG86, Bobby Curnow, Mariah, shanecdavis

Name that Joe!

Postby shanecdavis » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:12 am

Hey guys, since we started the readathon I have been keeping track of appearances of all the characters and vehicles in each issue. The task hasn't been too troublesome until now. On page 9 there are a bunch of Joes that emerge from the Quonset hut to play some pigskin and I am having a hard time identifying them all. If someone can set me straight on this I would be very appreciative.

Page 9, panel 3
Low-Light
Dusty
Leatherneck
Spirit
Crank-Case
Tunnel Rat
(Unidentifiable) - lost cause as you cant see any remarkable feature
Rock 'N Roll
Wild Bill
Airborne
Shipwreck
(Unidentifiable) - no chance here as we only see outline of his head
(Unidentifiable) - I would guess Trip-Wire but too nondescript
Trip-Wire
Roadblock
Mutt
Recondo
Beach Head
Bazooka

Page 9, panel 4
Rock 'N Roll
Spirit
Leatherneck
Lt. Falcon
Mutt
Shipwreck
Low-Light
Cross Country
Beach Head
Lifeline
Recondo
Roadblock
Gung-Ho
Crank-Case
Dusty
Grand Slam
Steeler
Wild Bill

My eyes hurt now.
Last edited by shanecdavis on Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby Mamu_Nestor » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:52 pm

Page 9 panel 3 the one behind Wild Bill looks like Airborne to me. the first one out the door looks like Shipwreck. the one you labeled as footloose looks like Bazooka to me, but I don't think he's been introduced by now... not sure.. the guy with Roadblock covering his head looks like Trip Wire.

Panel 4 I think Falcon is in between Leatherneck and Mutt and that is Steeler before Wild Bill. the other guesses I think are pretty good.

That is what it looks like to me.
Author: Karate is Self-Defense Available at Amazon.com. Kindle version available.
Mamu_Nestor
Transforumer

Postby Mamu_Nestor » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:16 pm

Mamu_Nestor wrote:Page 9 panel 3 the one behind Wild Bill looks like Airborne to me. the first one out the door looks like Shipwreck. the one you labeled as footloose looks like Bazooka to me, but I don't think he's been introduced by now... not sure.. the guy with Roadblock covering his head looks like Trip Wire.

Panel 4 I think Falcon is in between Leatherneck and Mutt and that is Steeler before Wild Bill. the other guesses I think are pretty good.

That is what it looks like to me.

Panel 3 that might be lifeline coming out of the door. with the helmet.

Maybe on panel 4 it could be Flint.

My original copy looks way different than the Classic trade copy... they make Mutt look like metalhead in the trade.
Author: Karate is Self-Defense Available at Amazon.com. Kindle version available.
Mamu_Nestor
Transforumer

Postby shanecdavis » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:28 am

Thanks for the help and posting the panels, Mamu!

On panel 3 I'll take your word on Airborne and Trip-Wire, but that is totally Shipwreck now that I look at it some more. I don't think the others matter since we have enough on the next panel to cover them.

On panel 4 I don't know how I didn't see Falcon. Looks a bit like Flint, but he would be thousands of miles away investigating the explosion in Grenada. I'm convinced those other three are Shipwreck, Cross Country, and Lifeline. Also didn't see Steeler there next to Bill. Eyes must have been spent at that point. Next to Steeler I am going with Grand Slam. Looking at the original 13 (which are basically the only ones that wore the generic brain buckets) it would be Flash, Zap, Short Fuse, Clutch, Grunt, or Grand Slam. As there is no visible facial hair at all, and no glasses, and no visor, and with Grunt attending Georgia, that leaves Grand Slam. He could use another appearance anyway.

So unless anyone has any other ideas, that is what I am going with. Thanks again.
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby shanecdavis » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:17 am

While Wagner is my third favorite Joe artist, he was quite lazy drawing the background Joes in #63 and #64, so I am in need of help once again. Here are the panels:

Page 22 panel 1
Crank-Case
Lt. Falcon
Wild Bill
Lady Jaye
Low-Light
Flash
Leatherneck
Psyche-Out
Chuckles
Grand Slam
Cutter
Clutch
Bazooka
Short-Fuse
Recondo
(UNIDENTIFIED) - no hope here as all you can see is the top of his head, although he has blonde hair
Steeler
Law

Page 22 panel 2
Tollbooth
Tunnel Rat
Chuckles
Spirit
Frostbite
Dusty
Shipwreck
Law
Gung-Ho
Lt. Falcon
Bazooka
Steeler
Short-Fuse
Crank-Case
Roadblock
Leatherneck
(UNIDENTIFIED) - no chance here to identify
Sci-Fi
Alpine
Outback
Last edited by shanecdavis on Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby Mamu_Nestor » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:41 am

The guy behind Falcon I would say is Footloose

the Guy between Low-Light and Psych-Out looks to be Zap to me.

The Guy sitting with Lady Jaye in the Cammo looks like Claymore to me but it could be Crank Case without his helmet.

the guy next to Clutch...Dunno looks like he could be a poorly colored Gung Ho or Leatherneck.

I'd say the guys that Bazooka is covering up are probably Grand Slam and Short Fuse.

the guy in Steeler's bicep... Law?

Panel 2

Yep I'd say Frostbite

I'd say that's Short-Fuse next to Steeler.

On the other side of him I'd go with Footloose since he had his helmet in the last panel.

And I'd have to agree with the Sci-fi with the weird goggles.

Well that's my $0.02
Mamu_Nestor
Transforumer

Postby Mamu_Nestor » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:44 am

Mamu_Nestor
Transforumer

Postby The DoomWorm » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:17 am

Would Claymore have been known to the artist at this time?
The DoomWorm
Slayer

Postby shanecdavis » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:55 am

I don't think so. After staring at the panels for far too long I've made changes.

* Crank-Case is the first Joe seen at the far left, since it is consistent with the next panel

* The Joe right after Low-Light I've decided is Flash. Looking at the helmet I see a visor, and the rough outline of his uniform shows that catcher-looking vest he wears over his uniform.

* The Joe sitting across from Lady Jaye I think is Leatherneck with incorrect hair coloring.

* That means the Joe standing next to Clutch is Cutter. The cover he is wearing matches as do the rolled up sleeves and the faint outline of his CG jacket.

* I agree with Mamu that Grand Slam and Short-Fuse are sitting together and then that is him standing next to Steeler in the next panel.

* Law works for me as the Joe you can only see the head popping up above Steeler's arm.

* Definitely Frostbite, who incidentally was introduced as a figure way back in 1985.

* Not sure why he has goggles on, but that is Sci-Fi, whose figure was introduced in 1986.

* I mistakenly said the bottom right Joe was Snow Job. Oops! That would be Outback.

Man I wish Wagner would have included more detail to his panels.
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby Blanco » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:40 pm

Always thought the guy sitting opposite Lady Jaye was Footloose with wrong-coloured hair.

Have a look at his uniform in relation to his appearances in other issues; they were always more brown/tan in the comic.
Blanco
Comic Book Guy

Postby Antarctica » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:58 pm

This thread is why we are such huge Joe fans, since we actually care who is in the panels and spend who knows how much time trying to figure it out.

Got to love it, Joe Fans.
Antarctica
Transforumer

Postby shanecdavis » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:27 am

Okay friends, it's that time again. Time to NAME THAT JOE!! I first want to say THANK YOU to Ant and his Yojoe.com site. The new look is incredible and very helpful. That said, there are a few Joes in Marvel #130 that I am just not able to identify. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here we go.

Page 11, Panel 1

Tollbooth
Dogfight
(UNIDENTIFIED) - Badly colored Downtown?
Scarlett
Duke
Spirit

Page 11, Panel 2

Duke
Spirit
Cross Country
Law
Hit & Run
(UNIDENTIFIED) - No clue.
Low-Light
Heavy Duty

Page 11, Panel 3

Airtight
Capt. Grid-Iron
Barbecue
Dial-Tone
Duke

Page 11, Panel 4

Updraft
Wild-Bill
Spirit
Duke
Salvo

Page 14, Panel 1

Locust
Duke
Spirit
Thunderclap
The General
Maj. Storm
Ghoststriker X-16
Ace.

Page 28, Panel 3

Outback
Hit & Run
Heavy Duty
Duke

Phew! Wildman sure didn't make this easy for us.
Last edited by shanecdavis on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:50 am, edited 8 times in total.
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby Blanco » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:16 pm

Love these posts Shane :)

At a guess...

Page 11 Panel 3 - Captain Grid-Iron :D

Page 14 Panel 1 - I think the first vehicle is The General. At a guess the vehicle may have been the Ghost Striker (think it came out around this time)... so could the Joe be Ace? I think the Ghost Striker version came with a green flightsuit.

Everything/everyone else... I don't have a clue! Hope someone can answer these :)
Blanco
Comic Book Guy

Postby shanecdavis » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:31 am

Blanco wrote:Page 11 Panel 3 - Captain Grid-Iron :D

Well, that explains the weirdest helmet I've ever seen. I had to check out the figure at yojoe.com. Football grenades? Really, Hasbro????? Sigh.

Blanco wrote:Page 14 Panel 1 - I think the first vehicle is The General. At a guess the vehicle may have been the Ghost Striker (think it came out around this time)... so could the Joe be Ace? I think the Ghost Striker version came with a green flightsuit.

Had to look up what in the world The General was. How the hell does that thing fit down the ramp? The nose of the aircraft and the uniform don't match Ace or the Ghoststriker very well, but I think we will chalk that up to a bad rendering job on Wildman's part. Thanks Blanco!
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby Mamu_Nestor » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:04 am

11 - 4 that's Salvo on the right.
14 - 1 the vechile on the left is the locust
Mamu_Nestor
Transforumer

Next

Return to G.I. Joe