Burtles.

Transformers is here! Discuss anything TF-related.

Moderators: ladywreck, tronprogram, bassbot, Ryall, JohnBarber, Cattleprod, CarlosG86

Postby Matrix » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:45 pm

Soundwave wrote:Well, ya got to give Bay credit where it do. Those 3 movies made a ton of money, because they appealed to the movie going masses. I will admit to enjoying the special effects and the explosions were cool.

Can you really give him credit?

If you gave 150 million dollars to James Cameron and told him to make an action film with a well known franchise with huge nostalgia value, he'd do the same.

Hell, most directors could. I could concede giving credit to Bay's films as being part of the decline in cinema quality that's resulted in audience complacancy, but that's not really a good thing.

Transformers is just one of those franchises that are easy to make money from. Huge nostalgia value for people in their twenties and early thirties, whilst simultaneously being popular with children. Meanwhile, the company in charge is one of the biggest toy companies on the planet with all-invasive advertising.
Okay to print!
I'm working on turning my caustic rants into a caustic podcast. Watch this space.
Matrix
Transforumer

Postby CyclonusArmada » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:29 pm

Batman Forever and Batman & Robin made money and we all know how they are thought of in hindsight. Would you give Schmaucher credit too?
CyclonusArmada
Transforumer

Postby FDrowned » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:38 pm

CyclonusArmada wrote:Would you give Schmaucher credit too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxRmzq3Azs4
FDrowned
Transforumer

Postby CyclonusArmada » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:41 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Exactly.
CyclonusArmada
Transforumer

Postby hook line and sinker » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:48 pm

I wonder which character will get the uber childish treatment and then marketed to the point of quashing everything else from the franchise into oblivion?

Will it be youthful and immature Raphael? Or will Splinter turn into a profanity cracking jokester?
hook line and sinker
Transforumer

Postby Cattleprod » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:54 pm

Is that really a question? Michaelangelo's nearly there in most incarnations as it is.
Cattleprod
Transforumer

Postby Josh » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:41 pm

CyclonusArmada wrote:
Josh wrote:Its all just a part of bays elaborate misinformation campaign!

Follow the link, it has a video of Bay breaking down the idea:
http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/122/1221066p1.html

Hey I can dream can't I? :P
Josh
Transforumer

Postby CyclonusArmada » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:06 am

Josh wrote:Hey I can dream can't I? :P

Depends on the dream...
CyclonusArmada
Transforumer

Postby Snake Pliskin-o-bot » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:53 am

Ha!! :D Best response I've seen for a while. Nicely played Sir. <doffs hat in CyclonusArmada's direction>
Snake Pliskin-o-bot
Transforumer

Postby Kirjava » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:56 am

Good news! Robbie Rist, voice of Michaelangelo in the TMNT live action films, doesn't want Bay "sodomising" the franchise.

Bad news! Brian Tochi (who voiced Leonardo) and Judith Hoag (who played April O'Neil) are down with it.
Kirjava
Transforumer

Postby CyclonusArmada » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:21 pm

Snake Pliskin-o-bot wrote:<doffs hat in CyclonusArmada's direction>

A' Thank You. Why doesn't Bay try out an 80's cartoon that no one really cares about like Go Bots? That way he might even improve it with one of his bizarre reimaginings.
CyclonusArmada
Transforumer

Postby Kingoji » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:08 pm

There are no 80's franchises that Bay could improve.

Print me easy!
Kingoji
Transforumer

Postby CyclonusArmada » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:09 pm

Kingoji wrote:There are no 80's franchises that Bay could improve.

She-Ra? Given his thing for spotlighting trashy actresses he could turn that into his ideal T&A Movie...
CyclonusArmada
Transforumer

Postby Focksbot » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:31 pm

'Cinema of attractions' is the academic term here. Films based on much-loved pop culture franchises will always, always, always just be a chain of outlandish setpieces no plot could hope to justify. The formula is simple: one big pot. Throw everything in. In-jokes and visual nods for long-term fans. A few risque jokes. A few self-aware jokes. Massive objects exploding or smashing things. A multi-coloured melange of CGI. Curvy actresses. T&A. Slapstick. Trash talk.

It can never be a good movie, but it's not ever intended to be. You're supposed to forget about it the moment you leave the cinema, so that you're ready to pay for the next one that's out in a week's time. Everything is designed just to get you to turn up, stump up for the tickets, and then not walk out in digust and demand your money back.

Michael Bay delivers. His chief quality and talent is to not screw with the successful formula by trying to introduce any semblance of an original idea or creative vision. He's the perfect blockbuster director because he doesn't have an artistic bone in his body.
Didja know? I'm a poet, writer and publisher. I have a personal website, but I also publish anthologies and collaborative experiments through Sidekick Books.
Focksbot
Transforumer

Postby Dire 51 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:51 pm

taken from comicbookresources.com

Kevin Eastmen: "I would actually encourage TMNT fans to swallow the 'chill pill' Mr. Bay recently suggested they take, and wait and see what might come out of this seemingly ill-conceived plan,"

Dire 51: FCK THAT! fck that! fck that! fck that!
We should totally petition this impending disaster.

You know who should direct the ninja fckn turtles?

Guillermo del Toro!
Dire 51
Transforumer

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers