The IDW Kaiju Watchers' Club!

Godzilla, Hedorah, Mothra, Rodan... doesn't matter who your favorite Toho monster is, chances are you'll see them in our coming comics. C'mon in and get some good "flame wars" going.

Moderators: Bobby Curnow, Mowry

Postby Kingoji » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:16 am

I couldn't comment about 'Lost', as I have never watched it. But as for the use of Akira Ifukube's original Godzilla theme, it was used twice during the TriStar edit of Godzilla 2000; firstly when "Godzilla's entered the bay!" with "Only one thing on Godzilla's mind right now.", and secondly when Orga is first revealed to us. It definitely works very well, for the first example especially.
And don't worry, you'll be hearing a lot more of that theme. From the 80's onwards it became regarded in much the same way as the 007 theme to James Bond, and no matter who is composing, that Godzilla theme will turn up in almost every film.

Fun fact: The musical cue used right at the end of the film when Godzilla encircles himself in fire is actually Rodan's theme. TriStar added it in just because it sounded good.

Print me easy!
Kingoji
Transforumer

Postby HdE » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:19 am

Kingoji wrote:
Fun fact: The musical cue used right at the end of the film when Godzilla encircles himself in fire is actually Rodan's theme. TriStar added it in just because it sounded good.

I liked that scene:

"Why does Godzilla fight to protect us?"

[Oblivious to this discussion, Godzilla nukes everything in sight.] :lol:
I letter comics. Quite a bit.

HdE
Transforumer

Postby Urzu Six » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:43 am

Okay, so I'm fresh offa watching G2K three times. It's been a while since I saw it, so after watching the American cut I backed to backed it with the Japanese. (which I'd not seen before)

I had underwhelming memories of this one. I came back to Godzilla quite late, and so didn't have the whole "withdrawal symptoms" like my bro up there. So back in the day, I watched it, went "meh" and moved on. Now I think I suspect I undervalued this film slightly.

Slighty.

To me, this is still a bit of a mis-hit, in both versions. It plays out as a continuation of the heisei series. Everyone knows about Godzilla, he's attacked before, and at the end, one of the characters asks, "Why does he keep saving us?" If we're meant to take this film as being the first of a new run, with only the original Gojira counting, those statements make little sense. It's a small thing, but it bugs me.

Also the UFO and Orga itself, don't really do anything for me. If anything, I feel a little sorry for Orga. Millions of years travelling through space, another few millions of years sitting at the bottom of the ocean... wakes up, gets mutated, has head blown off in the space of two days. Jeez, which god did he piss off in a previous life?

I'm not going to say anything about the CGI and compositing, because if we're going to start talking about slightly shonky SFX in a Godzilla film, then I think we're missing the point.

So. Good stuff? Oh, yes. Godzilla's initial attack is terrific. The use of the red lit backlighting was a very good choice, and did emphasise the fact that this Godzilla is a much more dangerous creature, than even the Heisei series. The shot of the car with Godzilla walking parallel in the distance was one of "those" moments, for me. One of those shots that make you realise just why the Japanese are so good at this kind of film.

I liked pretty much all the human characters in the film, which is a rarity. Io was just this side of precociously annoying, Shinoda was enough of an everyman to have you rooting for him, his love interest wasn't forced into every scene and underplayed well enough that a few Western films could learn from. Katagiri was a lovely character. Almost one dimensional, but that stoical approach worked for what he was trying to do. And the second scientist (now my names fail me) was easily my favourite character. He had depth, was pretty complex with shades of grey and was just enough of a good 'un to make you genuinely surprised when he did something for Katagiri. One of the better human ensembles.

Godzilla himself was odd... I'm not a fan of the neck and head on this suit, but they are minor quibbles. He was just underwhelming in this film, especially at the end battle. I can't quite put my finger on what makes it such an underwhelming experience. Giant monsters whaling on each other should be fun, and this just seemed to lack any energy. Orga's design probably didn't help, those arms are in the worst possible place for him to start duking it out...

Both versions of the ending worked for me. The silence with Godzilla nuking the city, or the Destroy All Monsters theme? I love that cue, I really do... But seeing as how I preferred the more minimalist approach to the score that the original cut had, I'm going to have to go with that. Hattori's score was fun, and called back to the more nautical sounding themes from Godzilla '85, which, again, I'm a fan of.

As an aside, I don't really have a problem with the US dub calling the things Regenerator G-1. As Orga is never referred to by name in the film itself, I can let than one slide.

That's all I got for now.

http://blacksquareart.deviantart.com/

Okay to print, and all that jazz
Urzu Six
Transforumer

Postby Void_Master » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:58 am

Godzilla 2000 will probably always hold a special place for me, as it's the only real Godzilla film I've ever seen in theaters. It was fun then, and it's just as fun now. Sadly I've never seen the original Japanese version, so I can't compare them, but I do really enjoy this movie. The pacing is great, never too fast or too slow and I actually never bother to get critical in terms of dubbing anyhow.

As for scenes that stick with me still, I completely agree with Urzu on the scene with G walking through the ocean parallel with the car. That was the first time I'd ever though of Godzilla in terms of real size. As a kid, I always though Godzilla would be the biggest thing ever, but when I found out just how tall he was I got disappointed, though I wasn't too upset by it (after all, how cool is it that Godzilla can be dwarfed by a building like in Ghidorah '91 or this film). It wasn't until this film that I got a real idea of how enormous he would be, which was only heightened when I got in my first 30+ story building a few years ago and see the world from his perspective height (living in central Illinois doesn't give you the opportunity to see many large buildings). I got chills seeing him in this scene and I'm always happy to see a similar one. It was the first time I could put myself on scale with Godzilla and imagine how frightening it would be to see him or live in his world.
The other thing I really liked was the buildup to his using his atomic ray and it's incendiary properties. It gets used more after the initial blast, but it gives it a real sense of power when it's finally unleashed against the UFO. As for the incendiary point, when Orga binds Godzilla's mouth and spines, only to have the heat produced burn through the cables, I was in awe. It's still super cool and I wish that such traits would be brought back.

Personally, if I were to really have any complaints, it would be that Godzilla isn't very flexible in this film, nor can he turn his head without moving his body, which is disappointing, and that Orga suffers from a similar malady. Other than that, I love this movie.

Also as an aside, I think Regenerator G-1 makes a lot more sense than Organizer G-1. Godzilla doesn't have a stamp collection does he? No, he's been hurt and he needs to regenerate the damaged cells, so it all sounds good to me (plus "Rege" would be a strange name for Orga). :lol:
Go Go Godzilla!

Okay to print.
Void_Master
Transforumer

Postby Rhuen » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:57 am

Urzu Six wrote:Okay, so I'm fresh offa watching G2K three times. It's If anything, I feel a little sorry for Orga. Millions of years travelling through space, another few millions of years sitting at the bottom of the ocean... wakes up, gets mutated, has head blown off in the space of two days. Jeez, which god did he piss off in a previous life?

Zanabalza, dark lord of Jellyfish :D
Rhuen
Forum Zombie

Postby HdE » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:10 pm

Rhuen wrote:

Toho licensed, perchance?

HdE
Transforumer

Postby Rhuen » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:59 pm

HdE wrote:
Rhuen wrote:

Toho licensed, perchance?

No, Zanabalza is one of my characters
http://forum.darkness.com/topic/71150-t ... __st__1350

Granted he is very Kaiju like, but its a powerful giant Jellyfish humanoid (Lovecraftian inspired, and inspired from a Japanese monster/god thing with little story to it).

Zanabalza, is a mysterious deep sea diety that taught a school of magic to the people (in that link the post labled "Origin of Magic" would be where i mention him. Little is known of Zanabalza or its intentions.
Rhuen
Forum Zombie

Postby Urzu Six » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:54 am

Right, before the OC kills the thread, which next? It's seems we're done with Orga.

http://blacksquareart.deviantart.com/

Okay to print, and all that jazz
Urzu Six
Transforumer

Postby HdE » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:39 pm

Woah - are we all talked out already?

Sorry guys - had my eyes off the thread for a bit. Work commitments 'n' stuff.

HdE
Transforumer

Postby Varan96 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:16 pm

Well it's late where I'm at so I don't feel like typing a whole lot of stuff but I watched G2K again after a bit and I'd say a big part of the reason I like the movie so much is because of the nostagilc memories I have of coming home and seeing the commercial on TV. Anyways I like the movie and wish it could have maybe had a sequel or some sort of continuation but oh well.

Oh and also I agree, I love the part when Godzilla enters the pay and you hear the classic theme. That's when you know stuff just got serious :D
"It's going to send us back to the stone age."
Varan96
Forum Zombie

Postby HdE » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:23 pm

yeah - there's somethign about Godzilla's mug rising up out of the water in scenes like that that makes you inwardly say to yourself 'uh-oh... here we go!'

HdE
Transforumer

Postby HdE » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:53 am

Okay - seems like we said what we had to say about Godzilla 2000.

I'm gonna make a judgement all and say we move on now. And for no other reason than I just watched it last night, how about we start a new round of discussion over...

GODZILLA Vs MEGAGUIRUS

A film where - to my great delight - you can see the strings! :P

HdE
Transforumer

Postby Rhuen » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:29 am

Ah yes, that was an okay movie. Interesting to see them dust off the Meganulon. For me though, Megaguirus was too big; I mean all giant arthropods are too big but this one really took the cake on that.

I had to do a double take when I saw those obvious strings in a movie that came out after 2000. You know the model is too big if that happens, plus not sure why all of Megaguirus flying wasn't CGI, or overhead/undershots to hide what's holding it up.

but all that said, its nice to see fights where the other monster isn't clearly a guy in a suit.
Rhuen
Forum Zombie

Postby HdE » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:06 am

I'm gonna say up-front that I LOVE IT that you can see those strings! it's details like that which make the movies so much fun for me.

Also - it's telling that, even with such obvious, wrenching reminders that we're watching props and guys in suits, whem Megaguirus and Godzilla tangle, I still flinch at the more visceral stuff.

I'll also say - I thought this movie was a LOT of fun! It really captured what I felt was great about the older Showa-era movies. Great to see two giant monsters really going at it, with scant regard for pesky humanity and its silly concrete buildings... or getting a tear in their rubber suits! :lol:

HdE
Transforumer

Postby HdE » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:04 pm

HdE wrote:I'm gonna say up-front that I LOVE IT that you can see those strings! it's details like that which make the movies so much fun for me.

Also - it's telling that, even with such obvious, wrenching reminders that we're watching props and guys in suits, when Megaguirus and Godzilla tangle, I still flinch at the more visceral stuff.

I'll also say - I thought this movie was a LOT of fun! It really captured what I felt was great about the older Showa-era movies. Great to see two giant monsters really going at it, with scant regard for pesky humanity and its silly concrete buildings... or getting a tear in their rubber suits! :lol:

HdE
Transforumer

PreviousNext

Return to Godzilla and the Toho Monsters