Who really enjoyed the Movie comics

Transformers is here! Discuss anything TF-related.

Moderators: ladywreck, tronprogram, bassbot, Ryall, JohnBarber, Cattleprod, CarlosG86

Who really enjoyed the Movie comics

Postby MistaTee » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:58 pm

I think I bought all of them except for Sector 7, but except for brief moments here and there, they weren't that enjoyable to me. I don't think the writing was necessarily to blame, but rather the art. To be more specific, the Bay-inspired designs. I appreciate the artists' attempts to drawn in this difficult style, but I could not connect with the characters. I started to feel the same way when Don started drawing in this style at the start of the ongoing

Did anyone seriously enjoy the Movie comics as opposed to the G1 and/or Animated?
-MistaTee
(okay to print)
MistaTee
Slayer

Postby The Father of Grain » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:19 pm

I refuse to buy them, but I've read them from the shelf. Decent stuff. Not as good as the G1 stuff, obviously.
Okay to print all the sh*t I say. Please quote me as RiceDaddy7. Not Father of Grain.
The Father of Grain
Forum Zombie

Postby Last_Raven » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:48 pm

To be honest, I don't buy them because of the movie, not because of the content. I never really liked the movie-verse and it got away from the look of TF that I liked.

I prefer the cartoonish universe and since I buy a few other comics (Spiderman, Venom, Carnage, Batman, Batman and Robin, Batman the Dark Night... you get the idea), I don't have the scratch left over to put into another TF book that I'm not so hot with.

I really don't like the cartoon though so if IDW does make a comic version of the cartoon either, I wouldn't go for it. Some of the stuff I was seeing from the recent lines is getting there, but I really like a chunky, hefty bot that's got some angles on him.
Last_Raven
Comic Book Guy

Postby Eamonn Prime » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:16 pm

I started to get the movie comics just to be a completist, but wound up really enjoying them.
The straight up adaptations don't work too well, but Reign of Starscream is a really great series.
Tales of the Fallen, Foundation and Rising Storm were also particularly good, and Sector 7 was a lot of fun, though a very different feel for a TF comic.
They create a much better, cohesive universe for the movies and expand upon the stories in a great way (hell, Nefarious almost made Skids and Mudflap good characters!).
I agree that the Bayverse designs are poor and difficult to always make out, but some of the art does a great job on making them easier to see and understand; of course some of the art still makes them hard to distinguish.
OK to print
Eamonn Prime
Forum Zombie

Postby RackNRuin » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:56 am

The original movie prequel was good. So was "Rising Storm".

Most of Furman's movie output is lamentable, however. "Nefarious" is jaw-droppingly awful. I love his Marvel work, but most of his recent stuff reeks of "give me a pay cheque IDW, please!" especially the Movie work.
Some ideas to improve the comic: One: Drift needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two: whenever Drift's not in an issue, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Drift"?
RackNRuin
Forum Zombie

Postby Duffcon » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:23 am

The movie comics were great, and really expanded on the movie-verse. I highly enjoyed them! (Plus, we get to see Skids and Mudflap die in the DOTM adaptation!) I especially liked that prose story written by Barber at the end of the DOTM adaptation. Good stuff.
"Our technology has outstripped our humanity." - Einstein

Ok to print
Duffcon
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby FDrowned » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:33 am

It had it's ups and downs

The first batch was mostly rubbish apart from Reign of Starscream

The second batch was slightly better, especially Defiance and a couple of the stories found in Tales

Third batch was better than the G1 ongoing at the time, especially Sector 7 and Foundation.
FDrowned
Transforumer

Postby Soundwave » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:43 am

The reign of Starscream was pretty awesome.

Nefarious, well I enjoyed Soundwave and the use of his minions, but the rest of it was I dunno, not there for me.

John Barbers Soundwave prose story was very cool. Barberwave!!!
Everything I post is ok to print, use, copy, use for inspiration, promote world peace, change lives, etc...and so on and so on. ;)

Rumble Eject! Operation, collateral damage.
Soundwave
Transforumer

Postby Gridlock » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:06 am

Hm, the only one I remember reading and really like was "Defiance". I also have fond memories about the first movie prequel, but I think, that like with the 2007 movie it's because "wow, something new, new backstory, new look, wow!" more than it actually being really good. After that I just lost interest, especially since movies weren't going to give a crap about those stories anyway.

I never liked stories set in present time. The past of movieverse Cybertron was much more interesting to me, and added something to the mythos, while those preset stories were just... there, not really doing anything for me. The worst one IMO is "Alliance", four issues about nothing.

EDIT: Ok, one exeption - I forgot about Reign of Starscream. That was pretty good, and that single Arcee "spotlight".
Gridlock
Slayer

Postby ultramagnus1 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:02 am

Ive read most of the movie stuff bar Reign Of starscream and Sector 7

Original Movie prequel. Ok
Movie adaptation. Ok
Alliance Ok
Defiance Superb.
ROTF Adaptation OK
Rising Storm Very good let down by the poor colouring
Foundation The best by far.
DOTM Adaptation Ok.
Nefarious Atrocious

Andrews art is top notch but not a fan of Carlos Magnos work. Sorry. Overall I enjoyed them bar Nefarious. One of the worse Simon Furman stories ever.
"They all float. And when you're down here with us, you'll float too" - Pennywise the clown
ultramagnus1
Transforumer

Postby Thunderwing » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:56 am

I enjoyed the hell out of Reign of Starscream, Defiance, Rising Storm, and Foundation.

Alliance started out well, but the Wreckage subplot was ended prematurely and in an unsatisfactory manner, and the second half of the series became obvious and generic set-up for ROTF.

Nefarious had a few moments, but the art got too muddled and impossible to follow at points. Plus, it was achingly bland and uninteresting on the whole. The only thing I took from it was Soundwave's excellent portrayal.

I liked a few bits of Tales of the Fallen too, particularly Sideswipe's issue.
Thunderwing
Transforumer

Return to Transformers