The Sales Thread

Yo, Joe! The base of operations for your comments is open and ready for your transmissions.

Moderators: JohnBarber, CarlosG86, Bobby Curnow, Mariah, shanecdavis

Postby Phil Kost » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:45 am

shanecdavis wrote:Diamond sales numbers are as useful as VCRs and cassette tapes these days. They still work, but you sure are missing out on the bigger picture.

Then maybe IDW needs to start filling in the rest of the picture.

I know there are digital sales, overseas sales, subscriptions, and of course the trade sales (which GI Joe is never in the top 100).

But we, the fans, don't see that data (unless it is out there somewhere that I am not aware of). So, if IDW doesn't want these doom and gloom posts, then they better start speaking up.

Sales are down, the end of the Cobra Civil War fizzled, there has been no hype for Cobra Command, ARAH is just going around in circles, and it is looking like GI Joe is taking a back seat to Transformers, TMNT, Godzilla and pretty much all other titles from IDW.

From the outside looking in, I would say that we are starting to enter IDW's exit strategy for when the license is up and they don't renew.

Since Hasbro and IDW keep all the license information secret, we fans get to sit around and speculate, and if they don't like it, then someone better start saying something. Otherwise we will continue to look at the numbers that Diamond publishes and see the downward spiral of GI Joe comics.

I'm sorry for the rant, but as a fan of GI Joe comics going on 30 years, I would rather see this go out with a bang instead of a whimper.
ANY and ALL GI Joe comics discussed at
Phil Kost
Forum Zombie

Postby Babos » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:29 am

What does "success" fopr IDW look for its respective titles? I can't imagine they expec to do DC or Marvel #'s. Is 10K in sales success?

Also, how do their tpbs do? I imagine CCW will sell well.
- John Babos

Follow me as BabosScribe on Twitter & Facebook + check me out at Comics Nexus.
Babos
Red Shirt

Postby shanecdavis » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:43 am

No worries about the rant, Phil. Hell, I went on one myself after reading the last two pages of Joe #8. We are passionate about our Joes.

Phil Kost wrote:But we, the fans, don't see that data (unless it is out there somewhere that I am not aware of). So, if IDW doesn't want these doom and gloom posts, then they better start speaking up.

To quote our former senior editor (which I would wager our current senior editor would concur):

Andy Schmidt wrote:I concur. I hate seeing you guys worry or even think about this stuff. I just want you to enjoy the stories and get invested in the characters.

http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopic.php?t=7694&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Phil Kost wrote:Sales are down, the end of the Cobra Civil War fizzled, there has been no hype for Cobra Command, ARAH is just going around in circles, and it is looking like GI Joe is taking a back seat to Transformers, TMNT, Godzilla and pretty much all other titles from IDW.

The only sales figures we really know are down are Diamond, and it's not by much. The only thing about CCW that fizzled for me was the last two pages of Joe #8, otherwise as I read through it again over the Christmas weekend it was quite enjoyable. I couldn't disagree more on ARAH though. We are now getting stories from Mr. Hama that are not only better than anything DDP put out, but also about 50% (if not more) of the Marvel run. Granted I haven't read #173 yet so it could unravel pretty quick, but I think the Sneak Peek/Darklon storyline is just about perfect. Mr. Hama is breaking new ground with the Blue Ninjas too, although I am definitely leery about the cyborg angle.

Also, the only place Joe is taking a back seat to TF and Godzilla is here in the forum. They get their own section and we don't??? It's a traveshamockery!!
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby Phil Kost » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:50 am

shanecdavis wrote: Mr. Hama is breaking new ground with the Blue Ninjas too, although I am definitely leery about the cyborg angle.

Then be prepared for the shark to be jumped.... :)
Phil Kost
Forum Zombie

Postby Torpedo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:40 am

I did not get the print copies for the CCW eighth issues, but I did get them all digitally for the same $3.99 cover price. That'll translate as a drop (albeit by one) in the Diamond figures, but not in the actual readership or sales.
Torpedo
Transforumer

Postby ER » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:17 pm

Thanks for posting the Nov numbers Phil! Yeah, sad to see all 4 titles below 10,000.

I'm not worried about Joe comics going away anytime soon, however. IDW's Star Trek titles had sold well below 10,000 for the last three years as a rule and IDW never dropped it. And now two Star Trek titles are doing very well. If IDW didn't drop Star Trek after years of being down in 6,000 and 7,000 territory then why would they cancel Joe?

As long as there are FOUR ongoing Joe titles I think it's safe to assume that sales for Joe are healthy when factoring in digital sales, trade sales, international sales, subscriptions directly from IDW, etc. Heck, if we only had three ongoing titles I'd assume that the franchise was doing well. If IDW cuts down the product to one monthly and the diamond numbers on it continue to drop then I'd worry.

That said, it would be great to see the diamond numbers go back into 5-digit territory. I say we get some kind of fan-based campaigns going to make sure the word is out on how awesome the new Joe books are. Especially ARAH. Since August I have been enjoying ARAH more than all three reboot titles put together. And I don't mean that as a slam against the reboot, it's just that the Hamaverse is currently that good :D
ER
Transforumer

Postby Eagleyes » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:42 pm

Of all 4 titles, if 1 was to stay, my vote would be for Cobra.
Eagleyes
Transforumer

Postby ER » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:18 pm

A year ago I would have agreed with you when we were getting the amazing Cobra #10-13 arc.

But looking at the four titles from May onward (May was a new beginning for all four, even ARAH because the horrific Dark SE/ Dr. Billy plot finally was over) I'd say that ARAH has been the strongest title, with Snake-Eyes as the runner-up.
ER
Transforumer

Postby Phil Kost » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:56 am

Eagleyes wrote:Of all 4 titles, if 1 was to stay, my vote would be for Cobra.

I concur. But sadly the numbers just wouldn't support it.
Phil Kost
Forum Zombie

Postby Rockhammer » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:55 am

I expect the ARAH numbers to rise in comparison to Dixon's G.i.Joe now that the CCW is over, and the much vaunted tightening of the reboot book storylines will take place.

I can see several more people dropping all the reboot books because of not being able to follow the story without buying them all. Whereas, ARAH will be unaffected by this.

So better said, I predict the ARAH numbers will remain more or less unchanged, whereas I expect to see all reboot book numbers drop, starting with issue 9.

ARAH will likely retake the within-IDW lead. I don't expect IDW will give up the license without a fight, either.

And let's not forget that the Transformers #s have dropped alarmingly since "All Hail Megatron." Many readers can't stand the current monthly (take a trip to the IDW TF boards if you don't believe me).
Everything above is OK to print!
Rockhammer
Transforumer

Postby m6d » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:44 pm

If a tree falls down in the forest and is made into paper to print ARAH, but no one is reading it, does it still count a canon? :lol:

Sad to see Joe brought this low. Time to take Ole Yeller out back behind the woodshed.

Just get the last two Classic trades out before you do, though.
m6d
Forum Zombie

Postby Mamu_Nestor » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:57 pm

And the yearbook collection too.... Though I would still like it to reach 200 before it goes.
Author: Karate is Self-Defense Available at Amazon.com. Kindle version available.
Mamu_Nestor
Transforumer

Curious...

Postby abner419 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:15 pm

Anyone have a guess as to what the largest print run was during the Marvel series? I'm going to guess it would have been sometime between issues 35 and 65 maybe???

Safe to say the lowest print run was issue 155???

Just nosey!
abner419
Forum Zombie

Postby Torpedo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:23 pm

Well, at some point during the #40's they made the call to start a second series (Special Missions), and after a while, that went monthly and the main title went bi-weekly, right? I think I heard that 1987 was the biggest year for Joe merchandizing and retail, but I don't remember where I heard that. Probably here.
Torpedo
Transforumer

Postby Jim » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:43 pm

I can tell you that GI Joe #35 was at #17 in the top 100 comics that month, with the previous issue having been at #24. I have a scan of an old top 100 from whatever month/year that was. No sales figures as such, but it says the average number of issues "sold per store" was 52.8. To put that in some perspective X-Men #193 was at #1 and sold 186.56 copies per store in the US.
If I ever say anything interesting then it's Ok to print.
Jim
Transforumer

PreviousNext

Return to G.I. Joe