G.I. Joe: ARAH #173 Preview/Discussion *SPOILERS*

Yo, Joe! The base of operations for your comments is open and ready for your transmissions.

Moderators: JohnBarber, CarlosG86, Bobby Curnow, Mariah, shanecdavis

G.I. Joe: ARAH #173 Preview/Discussion *SPOILERS*

Postby shanecdavis » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:10 am

Image Image

G.I. JOE: A Real American Hero #173

Larry Hama (w) • S L Gallant (a) • Herb Trimpe, Photo Cover (c)

After last issue's shocking death, Snake Eyes takes off after the ninjas that attacked the Arashikage dojo. He intends to get to the bottom of this mysterious new ninja clan… or die trying! Meanwhile, Darklon is in custody, but can G.I. Joe figure out what his connection to Cobra Commander may be about, before it proves too late to stop the Cobra tyrant? It's a race against the clock in G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #173!

*2 regular covers will be shipped in a 4-to-1 ratio (4 Photo, 1 Herb Trimpe)
*Retailers: See your order form for incentive information.

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

*Variant covers:
Larry Hama variant sketch cover!
Last edited by shanecdavis on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby Torpedo » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:23 am

Woo! Awesome 'B' cover--it looks like someone blessedly caught the Heavy Metal mistake and swapped him out for Wild Card in the final art. Hopefully, this change will be reflected in the interiors as well if they need to be. Also: Steeler on the cover? Yeah, 'bout time!
Torpedo
Transforumer

Postby cashel » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:28 am

I wish they'd make a list of the dead for hama to reference.
The board won't approve my password- I can't post!:( idw- loving arah- tf vs. Joe- and the revamp BUT wanting more team members and classic uniforms!!
cashel
Transforumer

Postby Eagleyes » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:19 pm

nearly another needless noprizesque storyline

how Heavy Metal made it back...after being buried!
Eagleyes
Transforumer

Postby MightyMegs » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:35 pm

I see the Joe code names like jersey numbers... they get reused. Only special 'players/Joes' get their 'number/code name' retired.
MightyMegs
Slayer

Postby RG1701 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:32 pm

Get the lowdown on Heavy Metal's return. PLUS: Cyber ninjas...IN SPACE!
RG1701
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Leneer1 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:46 pm

B-cover all the way for me. I have nothing against the gimmicky toy cover because it reminds me of something Marvel would've done around the mid to late '80's, but I'll take a well-drawn Herb Trimpe cover over a few action figures standing in a bird's nest any day.
Leneer1
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby jackharkness » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm

sounds awesome, can't wait to read it on the train home friday YO JOE!!!!!!!!!!
jackharkness
Forum Zombie

Postby Firefly210 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:51 am

This issue was epic! We have a new storyline going with Daina and her Russian counterparts, and the way Cobra Commander finds out about Billy, WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Love this book! On a side note - did not care much for the switching of artists, throughout the book, seriously needs to be left to Gallant, makes for a much better experience.
Firefly210
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Tiger71 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:19 pm

It looks like we have a full "GIJoe and Cobra vs a ninja style "Terminators and Skynet" Storyline starting here.

I remember the controversy in the reboot series about too much "Sci-Fi" in the story. I wonder how everyone will take this.

Although I wouldn't want to waste a lot of time on it, I am curious how they explain turning a human into a cyborg to the extent they are portraying. Not only that but how have the Blue-ninja masters ceased being Human at all? (That's why I made the Skynet Reference).

On the other hand, it look like we have a major armor battle starting in the middle east that should prove interesting.
Tiger71
Slayer

tank team

Postby Crimson Guard Immortal » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:46 pm

This is one of the best Hama issues. I loved that a full tank team was shown. I have often wondered why this kind of tank teamwork wasn't shown before. Hama's procedural demonstration strength really comes to forefront.
It was also excellent to see reference to the Arab Spring and the atrocities committed by Syria, Egypt, and other governments on their own people. Hama does a good job of showing the unholy relationships we sign up for by being engaged with dictatorial regimes.
The cyborg thing is just okay. I enjoyed the explanation for how there is an escalation for procedures for the acolytes and upward, all with limited hard knowledge.
The scene with Commander and Billy's corpse was great. I am really looking forward to these story lines.
Crimson Guard Immortal
Slayer

Postby Eagleyes » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:07 pm

Cyborg blue ninjas?

I'm glad I quit this series after sneakpeak's appearance
Eagleyes
Transforumer

Postby MightyMegs » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:36 pm

Are people still amping about Sneak Peek? Hints on his return go back to the original series... check out issue 145.
MightyMegs
Slayer

Re: tank team

Postby Torpedo » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:35 pm

Crimson Guard Immortal wrote:This is one of the best Hama issues. I loved that a full tank team was shown. I have often wondered why this kind of tank teamwork wasn't shown before. Hama's procedural demonstration strength really comes to forefront.

Completely agree! In fact, while I was reading this sequence, I was recalling #34 and the Special Missions issues that focused on aerial combat and dogfighting and thinking, yes, we finally get to see the Armor version of "Shake Down"!

I'm not sure how I feel about Cobra Commander's reaction to Billy's death. It felt very melodramatic (which isn't, you know, out-of-character for CC) and I kind of wanted something else. I thought a close shot of his face, just his eyes filled with cold, murderous rage would be more effective.
Torpedo
Transforumer

Postby Mamu_Nestor » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:54 pm

The scene where they delivered Billly to CC was epic. That was may favorite part. Decient transition to the new story and loved the Flint Lady Jaye scene. Stupid auto-correct...
Last edited by Mamu_Nestor on Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author: Karate is Self-Defense Available at Amazon.com. Kindle version available.
Mamu_Nestor
Transforumer

Next

Return to G.I. Joe