Godzilla Kingdom of Monsters #9 Reaction Thread

Godzilla, Hedorah, Mothra, Rodan... doesn't matter who your favorite Toho monster is, chances are you'll see them in our coming comics. C'mon in and get some good "flame wars" going.

Moderators: Bobby Curnow, Mowry

Godzilla Kingdom of Monsters #9 Reaction Thread

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:30 am

After the great debut of Godzilla: Legends #1, we now turn our attention to this thing.....ugh. Talk about leveling down big time.

Anyways, I don't buy this title anymore, but as I said earlier, I'll continue to post all and any news I hear about this series. There is already a review up on TohoKingdom.com:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/comics/idw_g ... om_09.html

Writer Jason Ciaramella takes over on the series for the first time with this issue, continuing the story with Mechagodzilla that was set up by Eric Powell before him. While this one feels different from the eight comics that lead up to it, there is enough similar about it that more than a few probably won't realize the creative team has changed, thanks in part due to Victor Santos still being on art duties here.

The issue's story focuses again on Steven Woods and his piloting the Mechagodzilla he located, which the president is frantically trying to get in contact with. The robotic monster stumbles upon and confronts Anguirus before advancing on the battleground of Godzilla and King Ghidorah from the previous issue.

All eyes are the story for this one, as previous writers Eric Powell and Tracy Marsh have stepped down and handed the reigns of the series over to Jason Ciaramella, writer on The Cape and Kodiak. Sadly, the jury is still out on how Ciaramella might do, as this issue tends to build up the framework for the next. One thing that can be said, though, is that if you are a fan of the approach of Eric Powell earlier in the series you will probably be a little disappointed at the slight change in tone as the "grim dark", "things can only get worse" sentiment that seemed to drip from Powell's writing is replaced. It still plays within the world that was left them, giving a progress report even on the devastation, but lacks the same sense of hopelessness and dread that it had before.

Still, even though this issue felt like a bridge to the next, lets give a thorough review of Ciaramella's style so far in contrast to the first eight issues. On the positive side, the issue actually starts to develop the president and his situation. This is nice because, up until this point, Steven Wood, Allie and the twin girls that have since got sidelined were the only characters of interest and the series desperately needed a bit more meat to it, which might be provided if we have two situations fleshed out, especially one that gives more of a vantage point of everything happening across the US and if the President continues to be at odds with Steven Woods. On the downside, the Steven Woods' character feels different under this new writer. He picked up a "revenge against Godzilla" plot due to the death of his parents at the monster's hands which really had no indication from the prior issues that Woods harbored that as a goal or even that he had any alternative motives besides survival. It feels a little cliché, and certainly something that has been seen before in films like Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla (1994) and the Kiryu films with him now driving Mechagodzilla. Thankfully, some of the "Mary Sue" shine has been taken off of him where it seemed he was always in control and on top of everything, as he makes a few mistakes here, grossly underestimating Anguirus for one.

In regards to the art, not much has changed. Victor Santos still feels out of place on the series, and his approach is too comedic and "loose" for the contents of this story. Mechagodzilla in particular tends to fare worse than he did during his introduction. To the artist's credit, though, the battle between Anguirus and Mechagodzilla is at least done more interestingly than the one in the previous issue with Godzilla and King Ghidorah fighting. In fact, even though the overall art style still doesn't quite click with me, Santos is getting more comfortable and improving his art as these issues go along.

For the covers, neither is very indicative of the contents of the comic. The main one, by David Messina, shows a Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002) circa Godzilla looking down on a sub, which isn't in the comic, while the background has "Gojira" in Japanese and a dotted design. The alternate one is done by Matt Frank and shows a Showa era Gigan crashing down. Again, not in the least related to the particular comic at hand, but of the two the Gigan one is clearly the more engaging of them.

Overall, this issue does some things right and wrong. Its different from the comics before it in tone, and might find some fans who were unhappy with the current direction, but likely won't change most people's minds one way or the other. Still, it ends on a cliffhanger and it will really be the next few issues that define how good Ciaramella is as a replacement on this series.
ebirahsmeg1
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Destroyer14 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:32 pm

My Matt Frank Gigan variant cover I ordered won't be in until tonight, so I'll probably have the issue Friday. I'll do my review then.
Pain Is Inevitable, Suffering Is Optional.
Destroyer14
Comic Book Guy

Postby Numero99 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:48 pm

Hopefully the comic picks up again after they finish the current arc - Ciaramella helped write The Cape so he should be able to work in some crazy stuff once this story's done.

But yeah - I agree about the art.
For reviews of stuff and nonsense.

http://www.freakinawesomenetwork.net/
Numero99
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Destroyer14 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:29 pm

My review.
http://destroyers-editorialsandreviews. ... eview.html

If any of you dropped off the series, I'd say start collecting it again. If this issue's any indication, the series could become very good.
Pain Is Inevitable, Suffering Is Optional.
Destroyer14
Comic Book Guy

Issue 9

Postby GodzillaBanazi » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:36 pm

I am happy with the storyline now but the artwork has to change asap. Get Matt Frank off covers and into the book please.
I am Godzilla Banzai.
GodzillaBanazi
Red Shirt

Postby Varan96 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:47 pm

This comic is pretty nice, now I'm not saying its great because the new writer (I forgot his name) is probably going to have to spend the next few issues repairing some of the damage and story Eric left him with. So I'd say the story is a improvement from old stories but the art just really needs to be improved in my opinion. I know it can be done Santos did that awesome sample so I hope he unleashes it soon.
"It's going to send us back to the stone age."
Varan96
Forum Zombie

Postby Void_Master » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:46 am

I definitely feel like this issue is an improvement in the story section (and I liked the old way KoM was written). Just having more narration is an improvement, as it helps the comic feel less empty (though I agree with others who have stated that the kaiju themselves seem very quiet).

I also do not mind the fact that Woods has a grudge against Godzilla for killing his family. Sure we've seen it done before, but I don't think it's a bad thing that it's being done (after all, didn't everyone want something similar to happen to the fisherman in issue 2?).

My only gripe would probably be that it's too bad there wasn't more of a fight with Angurius (who has apparently followed Godzilla across America, since last we saw him in California), who was relegated to being a test subject for Wood's MG skills development, but perhaps a rematch between the Big G and his metal doppelganger next issue will make up for that.
Go Go Godzilla!

Okay to print.
Void_Master
Transforumer

Postby Batagor » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:19 am

Void_Master wrote:I definitely feel like this issue is an improvement in the story section (and I liked the old way KoM was written). Just having more narration is an improvement, as it helps the comic feel less empty (though I agree with others who have stated that the kaiju themselves seem very quiet).

Yeah, this feels like a whole comic. We got a good amount of story development and character interaction. The art is there as well (Good stuff if you like Santos' work, and business-as-usual if you don't).

Although the changes in Sgt. Steven Woods character are noticeable, and not all welcome (for me), I couldn't help but revel in the "Let's go, you ugly bastard." line at the end of the issue as MechaGodzilla faces off against Godzilla. Very cool!

Looks like Ciaramella is going to give us our money's worth in the story department. This new story arc holds a lot of promise!
"It doesn't make sense... babies can't even vote!"
Batagor
Transforumer

Postby Batagor » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:28 pm

Comic Bastards' review of Godzilla #9 can be found at the link below in full. It is a fun review to read, those bastards are hilarious!

http://comicbastards.blogspot.com/2011/ ... ers-9.html

Here is an excerpt:

Comic Bastards wrote:The artwork of the Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters series looks like a pared down Mike Mignola sketch done in cartoonish styling. It vexes me. Being a longstanding G-Fan, I see some great monsters present such as Anguirus, King Ghidorah, Mechagodzilla, and Godzilla. But they look like rejects from Riverdale High. Sigh.

...With that being said, I love the story. In issue #9 Steven continues to learn the controls of Mechagodzilla. Along with his sidekick, Allie, the duo takes on the least threatening of all the denizens of Monster Island: Anguirus. It’s more fun than it sounds and Allie isn’t as annoying as most kid sidekicks.

Artwork aside, the story moves. There’s a monster fight. There’s a threat felt throughout the book. And there’s a great cliffhanger leaving you burning to read the next ish. That’s worth my four Washingtons.

Score: 4/5
Batagor
Transforumer

Postby Batagor » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:38 pm

Spoiler image ahead....

That is just bad@$$, plain and simple.
Batagor
Transforumer

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:20 pm

Batagor wrote:

That is just bad@$$, plain and simple.

Once again, :roll: :roll: :roll: Go ahead and keep telling yourself that the artwork in this comic is "good" (which always gets a lot of laughs over on the ClubTokyo boards). Dos Santos' artwork just keeps getting worse and worse. Anyways, bring on Godzilla Legends #3...even though issue #2 was a little disappointing, at least this series has decent artwork that doesn't look like something a cat coughed up...
ebirahsmeg1
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Batagor » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:03 pm

BW Media has posted a review of #9 on Comixology, rating the issue 3/5.

BW Media, Comixology wrote:What they got right: New writer Jason Ciaramella does everything I thought the previous writing team did right and none of what they got wrong, although this is only his first story. The light moments come not from heavy-handed satire but from little Allie and while it isn't comedy she's just so darn cute. Meanwhile, the monster fights are in keeping with how good they've been from the previous team...

The complete review can be found here:
http://www.comixology.com/reviews/view/2051/

Batagor
Transforumer

Return to Godzilla and the Toho Monsters