The Galileo 7 - Reviews, reactions, spoilers, etc

Trekkies, Trekkers, Trek-newbies, or just fans of "Free Enterprise," are all welcome here.

Moderators: Ryall, Bobby Curnow, Mariah

Star Trek #3 Review

Postby avenger1340 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:24 am

I'm really loving this series. It's just fun. I really have liked the art too and in this particular issue the restraint to not show Latimer's impaling or the beasties hunting down the crew is a smart move.

Star Trek #3 Review
Geoff Arbuckle
Writer/Editor
acomicbookblog.com
My articles - http://acomicbookblog.com/author/geoffarbuckle/
Follow me on Twitter @geoffsramblings
avenger1340
Private

Postby DanielW » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:37 am

Nice review Avenger, whets the appetite but doesn't give away the game.
DanielW
Transforumer

Postby Torpedo » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:00 am

I didn't like this issue as much as #1 or #2, but it was still fun. All of the thematic and stylistic elements of the classic TV series with some great dialogue between characters. My complaint would be the tension and the threat doesn't feel as immediate as in the first story arc.
Torpedo
Transforumer

Postby DanielW » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:34 pm

I think the strength of this series is, in a rather Zen sort of way, it's weakness. That being it's something we know but rendered different by the different natures of the characters involved. The choices of stories that we know of (Where No Man..., G7 and coming up Operation: Annihilate!) makes sense in light of the evolution of Kirk's character - he is being forced to mature as a captain - he's had the hardest duty (to end the life of an officer for the good of his crew), and now has to wrestle with both doing what he knows is right in the face of an overwhelming fate, he will have to obey the order to leave the area when it's given, so his patented headstrong approach will not work he's going to have to get creative. In Operation: Annihilate! he's going to have to face his past (in the form of his brother).
DanielW
Transforumer

Postby azraelklk » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:27 pm

I am having a problem with the Stardates. In issue 2 we see a 1313.xxx date. In issue 3 we get a 28xx.xxx date. In the new continuity the Stardate is suppose to be the current year dot numerical day. Thus Jan 1st 2012 would appear as Stardate 2012.1, It appears they have just copied the original shows script date without 'fixing' it for the new universe. :x

Anything I post may be printed.
azraelklk
Transforumer

Big letdown...

Postby PatBorg » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:19 pm

Really disappointed with newest issue. Having two artists on only the third issue didn't help.

http://www.trekweb.com/articles/2011/12 ... ue-3.shtml
PatBorg
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Ro-Dan » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:37 pm

I liked it just fine. I'll be more excited as the sequel approaches and this book starts to tell new tales that tie into the film.
Ro-Dan
Transforumer

Postby DanielW » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:32 pm

Looks like the March issue is going to be either a radical revision of Balance of Terror or something new. The solicit of it basically says "the surviving Vulcans declare war on Romulus".
DanielW
Transforumer

Postby The_Scourge_of_Romulus » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:05 am

DanielW wrote:Looks like the March issue is going to be either a radical revision of Balance of Terror or something new. The solicit of it basically says "the surviving Vulcans declare war on Romulus".

Finally something new and unexpected! Looking forward to this one.
The_Scourge_of_Romulus
Comic Book Guy

Postby DanielW » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:33 pm

With the second half of this issue out this (week of the 28th) week, does anyone want to hazard a guess about how it'll differ from classic TOS?

Maybe Janice Reed will be someone to die, or more likely, given this Spock is a bit more prone to emotion he'll 'snap' under pressure like he did when Kirk pushed his buttons in the movie. I'm interested in how Kirk will react to being told "you'll have to write off seven crewmembers and follow my orders".
DanielW
Transforumer

Postby Pauln6 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:10 am

I'm not rooting for Janice to die; I would prefer her to realise her full potential as a character. However, if killing a recurring character is something they feel inclined to do, I can certainly see why she might be at the top of the list.

While I think Yeoman Rand is a prime candidate for an early death, I would be gutted and really annoyed if they killed her this early on in the proceedings! They have have precious few female characters to play with as it is. My suspicion is that they would most likely kill Rand in one of the movies. Assuming that the actors are signed up for three I would hope that she appeared in two movies before being offed otherwise to non-fans she would not even be a recurring character, she'd be little more than a slightly glorified extra and I would have thought they would want her death to be a bit more meaningful.
Pauln6
Red Shirt

Postby DanielW » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:44 am

Looks like the 'big' change is that Uhura steals a shuttle (perhaps at Kirk's behest given the little look that passes between them when Kirk says "it's time to end the search").
DanielW
Transforumer

Postby Torpedo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:56 am

Issue #4 was a really solid chapter and a fun read. If I had a complaint, though, it would only be on the amount of story involved. I think I read this issue digitally in about four minutes. These first two story arcs could have been two issues.

That said, the dialogue is great, the art is terrific and the book is just damn fun. I liked Kirk's reading of the Starfleet rules and regs to protect his crew and illustrate his real brilliance as an officer.
Torpedo
Transforumer

Postby avenger1340 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:39 pm

I too liked this book. I'm a little biased. I love the old crew and their adventures. Shoot, I grew up on their stuff in the early 80s when you could find reruns all the time. To me, this series is comfy. I loved the new movie (gave the franchise a shot in the arm) and I love the old adventures. It's a good combo. It won't blow your socks off, but it's good to know you can feel relatively safe with knowing you'll be entertained.

Star Trek #4 Review
Geoff Arbuckle
Writer/Editor
acomicbookblog.com
My articles - http://acomicbookblog.com/author/geoffarbuckle/
Follow me on Twitter @geoffsramblings
avenger1340
Private

Review of Issue 4 online at TrekWeb

Postby PatBorg » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:15 pm

I liked this issue more than the previous. And without giving anything away, did this issue (which is fine) take away some of the "wow" from Spock by ditching his gamble from the original episode?

http://trekweb.com/stories.php?aid=4efbbbcb4d2f5
PatBorg
I'm kind of a big deal

PreviousNext

Return to Star Trek