UCHC - Opinions now that you have your copy

Moderators: Sprite, Bobby Curnow, Venom

UCHC - Opinions now that you have your copy

Postby Thorneyeagle » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:31 pm

So, I know we have a lot of topics in regards to the Ultimate collections announcement and delay. Now that they have hit the shelves and the shipping system I thought we could start talking about the final product.

I got my copy today in the mail. Sadly Amazon damaged the spin :(. I am not overly picky about condition but it was noticeable the second you look at it.

I am getting it replaced but from what i have seen, I am very happy with the quality, size of the image and placement of annotations.

I wish there was a better cover section though :/. The walking dead hardcover volumes did it well if any of you have a copy of those. (hardcover the smaller ones)

what do the rest of you think of the stuff beyond the cover?
Thorneyeagle
Slayer
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:20 pm

Postby tmntspider » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:52 am

I was skeptical on paying $50 for it, to be honest, but once I had it in hand...all that vanished. Outside of the DC ABSOLUTE HCs, this is probably the best hardcover I've seen to date. This is a beast of a collection and I hope we see many, many, many more of these.
tmntspider
Slayer
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:40 pm

Re: UCHC - Opinions now that you have your copy

Postby HdE » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:00 am

Thorneyeagle wrote:I got my copy today in the mail. Sadly Amazon damaged the spin :(. I am not overly picky about condition but it was noticeable the second you look at it.


Just a little tip here (that you may already know):

I've had a few experiences of poorly packaged items from Amazon being completely smushed in the post. The worst case was when my copy of Warren Ellis' 'Aetheric Mechanics' was packed between two flimsy pieces of corrugated cardboard - packaging that is NOT up to the job of protecting books.

You can comment on the standard of packaging in your feedback on Amazon. I've been pretty vocal to them about the standard of their packaging, and it DOES get listened to. So if you had problems in this regard, it certainly helps to speak up on them.

Hope that helps!
I letter comics. Quite a bit.

Image
User avatar
HdE
Transforumer
 
Posts: 7056
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Side 7

Postby Mondo » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:02 pm

I got mine today from Amazon and they did a great job on the packing & shipping of mine. It was backed on a large piece of cardboard and then wrapped tightly in plastic around both the book & cardboard and then inside a box. I love it so far; I've only read the first issue, but I'm loving the annotations and can't wait to get to the rest. I am really looking forward to future collections.
Mondo
Red Shirt
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:55 pm

Postby Thorneyeagle » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:22 pm

I actually did contact them about the packaging. They sent me my book in a box larger than the book with a simple air bubble packing. Probably why the packaging didn't hold up. They normally do better.

The replacement is already in the mail :)
Thorneyeagle
Slayer
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:20 pm

Postby Tothenines » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:52 pm

Honestly, I just bought this first volume out of support for the TMNT. But now that I have this bad boy, I can tell you I'll be pre-ordering each and every volume and possibly even getting rid of my individual issues.

This thing was very well made, I LOVE IT!
------------------
http://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=191391P01
Buy comic books at mycomicshop.com!
User avatar
Tothenines
Transforumer
 
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:04 am
Location: Born in Illinois, currently in WV

Re: UCHC - Opinions now that you have your copy

Postby Abnormal Freak » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:16 pm

HdE wrote:You can comment on the standard of packaging in your feedback on Amazon. I've been pretty vocal to them about the standard of their packaging, and it DOES get listened to. So if you had problems in this regard, it certainly helps to speak up on them.


All your negative feedback must be why I've never received a damaged book—hardcover or otherwise—from Amazon. :D And I've ordered a bunch from them over the years. I also almost always do the Media Mail shipping where it's out and about for a good week before it gets to me. Never received a cracked spine, nicks on the covers, or any of that.
"I can't forgive myself for having lied to you. I don't have a degree in biology. Never even finished high school. I haven't read more than two books in my whole life. One, never finished. And the other is the phone book."
User avatar
Abnormal Freak
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 12:55 pm
Location: MN

Re: UCHC - Opinions now that you have your copy

Postby Thorneyeagle » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:20 am

Abnormal Freak wrote:
HdE wrote:You can comment on the standard of packaging in your feedback on Amazon. I've been pretty vocal to them about the standard of their packaging, and it DOES get listened to. So if you had problems in this regard, it certainly helps to speak up on them.


All your negative feedback must be why I've never received a damaged book—hardcover or otherwise—from Amazon. :D And I've ordered a bunch from them over the years. I also almost always do the Media Mail shipping where it's out and about for a good week before it gets to me. Never received a cracked spine, nicks on the covers, or any of that.


Usually they are really good with their packaging and shipping, I may have just gotten the random lemon. No company is perfect but amazon does do a great job.

one of the few major company's online i support.
Thorneyeagle
Slayer
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:20 pm

Postby Sprite » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:13 am

Well, I got my copy - whoa, looks lovely! A tad too big for my taste, but - not complaining. Also it even got a few extras! Woo!
Image
OK to print.
D&D/TMNT/MLP/X-Files modding, avatar tech support and shattered trousers repair.
User avatar
Sprite
Transforumer
 
Posts: 16518
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:53 am
Location: The Lost Light

Postby HdE » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:34 am

Thorneyeagle wrote:I actually did contact them about the packaging. They sent me my book in a box larger than the book with a simple air bubble packing. Probably why the packaging didn't hold up. They normally do better.

The replacement is already in the mail :)



Ah, good stuff!

As other posters have mentioned here, it's rare that Amazon drop the ball, but when they do, they're pretty cool about putting it right.

Enjoy your book!
I letter comics. Quite a bit.

Image
User avatar
HdE
Transforumer
 
Posts: 7056
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Side 7

Postby Gryphon » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:37 am

I dont have my copy yet but Im wondering why the fugitoid one shot wasnt included.
Gryphon
Forum Zombie
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:10 pm

Postby Abnormal Freak » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:52 pm

Look out, guys! "IT THE FOT!" (Pages 160–161.)

My only gripe with the book is that you miss a ton of visual information during the spreads, especially toward the middle of the book. Why is it that designers of comic collections with this thick of spines never pull the art outward a bit so that the spread art actually lines up? I consider that a serious design flaw...

Gryphon wrote:I dont have my copy yet but Im wondering why the fugitoid one shot wasnt included.


Probably because: (a) it's not a Turtles book, and (b) the whole story is recapped in issue 5. It's not a necessary book, and the difference in artwork (E&L drew the first few chapters before they even came up with the idea of the TMNT) is pretty jarring.
"I can't forgive myself for having lied to you. I don't have a degree in biology. Never even finished high school. I haven't read more than two books in my whole life. One, never finished. And the other is the phone book."
User avatar
Abnormal Freak
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 12:55 pm
Location: MN

Postby ILoveBeingATurtle » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:51 pm

Definitely worth the $50 price tag, it was over 300 pages of awesomeness!!! I can't wait for vol. 2 on 12/28!
ILoveBeingATurtle
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:29 am
Location: NE Iowa

Postby tmntspider » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:10 am

ILoveBeingATurtle wrote:Definitely worth the $50 price tag, it was over 300 pages of awesomeness!!! I can't wait for vol. 2 on 12/28!
The next volume is coming 12/28? Where did you read that? That is great news!
tmntspider
Slayer
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:40 pm

Postby ILoveBeingATurtle » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:32 am

tmntspider wrote:
ILoveBeingATurtle wrote:Definitely worth the $50 price tag, it was over 300 pages of awesomeness!!! I can't wait for vol. 2 on 12/28!
The next volume is coming 12/28? Where did you read that? That is great news!


I asked my buddy Rob who runs the local comic shop to make sure he puts me down for volume 2 and when it'd be coming out and he said IDW & Diamond have it on their list to ship 12/28/11. So unless it gets delayed or something changes we should be getting a late Christmas present that week!
ILoveBeingATurtle
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:29 am
Location: NE Iowa

Next

Return to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests