Godzilla: Legends #1 REACTION THREAD

Godzilla, Hedorah, Mothra, Rodan... doesn't matter who your favorite Toho monster is, chances are you'll see them in our coming comics. C'mon in and get some good "flame wars" going.

Moderators: Bobby Curnow, Mowry

Is Godzilla Legends #1 IDW's best Godzilla comic yet?

Heck yes it is!
82%
Nope, there is another issue that is better!
18%

Total votes : 22

Postby Batagor » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:17 pm

Comicbookmovie.com has posted their review, giving Godzilla: Legends #1 a rating of 5.5/10.

Comicbookmovie.com wrote:...Overall, this story is cheesy and suffers from terrible human characters, but manages to get by because of a pretty good monster battle (and I like Anguirus).

You can read the entire review on their site:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... s/?a=49933
"It doesn't make sense... babies can't even vote!"
Batagor
Transforumer

Postby Batagor » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:27 pm

Geeks of Doom have also posted their review of Godzilla: Legends #1. They don't use a rating system, but the review is largely positive.

Geeks of Doom wrote:If I could only give one piece of advice about Godzilla Legends #1, it would be to turn off any preconceived notions of a deeply thought-provoking book. Matt Frank and Jeff Prezenkowski have crafted a great monster book in Godzilla Legends #1; in just one issue they manage to tell a completely self-contained story all while packing it full of Kaiju mayhem. If you wanted something that left you pondering the intricacies of human existence you may want to look elsewhere; however, if you are in the market for giant lizards and space monsters crushing cities while locked in combat, then Godzilla Legends #1 is the book for you.

The full review can be found here:
http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2011/11/15/c ... ore-122706
Batagor
Transforumer

Postby MechGamera » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:38 am

Managed to get a read through or two last night. Must say for a one shot comic it still manages to fill in the gaps for a basic back story for Anguirus and the Doctors invention ( Very similar to the device used on the Calico for the Godzilla cartoon.) Story wise it moved at a fair pace across it's 22 pages. Love the way they tried to make the story fit in with Godzilla History. The story was a great read and If the rest of the Legends mini series is anything like this it will be a series to rival the much loved Dark Horse run.

Art wise MF really hit's it out of the part. Destroyah has never looked better and the battle scenes were drawn with a lot of drama and excitment. I might be one of the few but I actually liked his humans It gave it a manga feel, rather than a straight up American comic feel.

Over all this sits on a par with G&G 1 for me. Both make the ongoing look terrible in comparison from an exciting story point of view and especially an art stance. If I have any complaint it is that I feel the end of the fight could have used a few of the ad pages to really round out the story. It all felt a little rushed at that end of the book. Looking forward to issue 2.
MechGamera
Forum Zombie

Postby Varan96 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:38 pm

I gotta say like someone else once posted, this is the best godzilla comic I've ever read. From the fact they actually showed some flashbacks on Anguirus and Destoroyah looked amazing. I personally like this comic more then Gangsters and Goliaths and A LOT more then Kingdom of Monsters. I can't wait for issue 2 of this :D
"It's going to send us back to the stone age."
Varan96
Forum Zombie

Postby Kingoji » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:24 am

My copy (complete with EXCELLENT Adams cover) arrived this morning. This book was definietly a LOT of fun, and has easily excited me for the rest of the series. I think I have to join the ranks of those who say that this is the best Godzilla comic IDW has put out yet.
This issue very much felt to me like a fan-comic. I don't say this to be detrimental, I'm not accusing it of being sub-professional quality. All that I mean is that this book is oozing with love from those who worked on it. I could tell from the outset that the creators were having an absolute blast working on it, and they didn't have any grand schemes for sub-plots or dangling ominous threads... they came up with a fun (comparatively simple) idea, executed it with enthusiasm, and delivered an absolute winner.
Apparently there have been some people unhappy with Matt Frank's depictions of people. Personally, I think they fit well with his overall style (which felt to me more like a McFarlane-lite style rather than Manga-esque or the more realistic approach many tend to favour in comics these days), and if there was room for improvement then I'm sure he will quickly do so with each consecutive book he draws. He made his name, after all, for his work on the creatures, not people.

Well done to everyone involved, and bring on Rodan!

Print me easy!
Kingoji
Transforumer

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:24 am

Interview with IDW about their Godzilla comics (from TOHOKINGDOM.COM)

http://www.tohokingdom.com/interviews/i ... -2011.html

Interview:
IDW Publishing

Chris Mirjahangir: We are talking with IDW Publishing to discuss their new series on the King of the Monsters, Godzilla Legends. Starting off, will Godzilla begin acting like a "good guy" like in the Showa series and team up with some monsters, or will he continue to be solo and destructive?

IDW Publishing: You will see an unusual Godzilla team-up in Legends #4, but you'll also see normal solo-destructive Godzilla in Legends #1 and #5!

Mirjahangir: Legendary pictures is making a new Godzilla movie that scheduled to come out in 2012. Have you consulted with the production team at all, and are you planning to have your Godzilla Legends series tie into the new movie in some way?

IDW: There has been no contact with the movie production, and there will be no tie in to the 2012 film, at not least in 'IDW continuity'. We may or may not do the adaptation, we'll have to see when we get closer to the time. But back to Legends, there will be no tie in to any Godzilla continuity... these stories are intended to be 'lost tales' that may or may not have ever happened in any continuity.

Mirjahangir: The films have established several different continuities within the Godzilla universe. Does this series follow a particular one or does it follow its own?

IDW: See above.

Mirjahangir: What can you tell us about how the story or stories will play out? Will there be multiple stories, independent of each other, or one big story with a traditional beginning and end over the course of the entire comic?

IDW: Each story will tell it's own complete 'done-in-one' tale, independent of each other.

Mirjahangir: I would really like to know what inspired IDW to reawaken Godzilla after 7 years of rest. Also, does IDW believe in keeping with Godzilla's traditional character and style or do they think it's time to bring the Big G up to modern standards?

IDW: We've got some huge Godzilla fans in the office (Chris Mowry being the most notable example) and there was definitely Kaiju sized-void that needed to be filled in the comics world. Godzilla has always been changing with the times, be it in behavior or the Godzilla suit itself. Godzilla will evolve in our comics as well, but the concept of a giant, unstoppable monster is pretty timeless and doesn't need too much modernization.

Mirjahangir: What monsters will be part of it and would you like some suggestions from the fans?

IDW: You will see Anguirus, Destoroyah, Rodan, Titanosaurus, Hedorah, Mechagodzilla, and Kumonga in Legends!

Mirjahangir: Will the Gotengo make an appearance?

IDW: Nope! Great design though, it would be nice to find a spot for it...

Mirjahangir: What future story line plans do you have for Godzilla and the other kaiju and do you plan to have some of them having links with the movie series?

IDW: Our Godzilla comics will, by and large, be their own entity, separate from the films. That being said, you will continue to see some characters and references to classic Godzilla lore. 2012 will be a huge year for Godzilla comics, in every way building and improving on 2011. Legends in many ways will be our transition series between the two years. By the time Legends #5 hits the stands you should have an excellent idea of how different 2012 will be. Expect some big, substantial, exciting changes.

Mirjahangir: In addition to the monsters, do you have access to working with the human characters and organizations that appeared in the main series?

IDW: The main comic series, Kingdom of Monsters? But of course! But as stated, we'll be staying away from KOM continuity for Legends.

Mirjahangir: Do you sometimes well take into consideration the opinions of the fans to use as a basis to form up new story ideas?

IDW: We don't use specific story ideas, we've got our writers for that! But I (Bobby Curnow), do pay attention to the fan forums to get the general vibe of how things are or are not working.

Mirjahangir: If Godzilla Legends proves successful enough, will you consider on doing a "Godzilla Legends vol.2"? Also, how do guys feel after more than 8 months with Godzilla? Do you consider his return to comics a success?

IDW: I'd love to do more Legends, so if you do enjoy the series... get the word out! The more sales, the better the chance we'll do a volume 2! There's no doubt that Godzilla has been a gigantic success for IDW. We had an incredible launch, and sales remain strong. That being said, I do see areas that we could improve. I think the mysterious plans I referenced earlier for 2012 will address a lot of those things!
ebirahsmeg1
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:31 am

Another interview from TOHOKINGDOM.COM

http://www.tohokingdom.com/interviews/m ... -2011.html

Interview with Matt Frank and Jeff Prezenkowski in regards to their work on G: Legends:

Interview:
Matt Frank and Jeff Prezenkowski

IDW Publishing has graciously gone to the trouble of interviewing the creative teams behind Godzilla Legends on Toho Kingdom's behalf. Below is the first in a five part series where the publisher asks the creative team of the five comics the same ten questions to compare their responses and answers. This first column deals with the creative team behind Godzilla Legends #1.

MATT FRANK (Artist, co-writer: Legends #1)

1.) If you had the chance, what Godzilla movie would you remake and why?

Matt Frank: Hmmmmm...I'm unsure if I would remake any specific Godzilla film, but if I had a choice, a cool, modern remake of King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962) could be a LOT of fun. The original is a great comedic flick, but it'd be cool to try it in a modern style just for the sake of the concept.

2.) Godzilla has died. Who do you think should take his place as "King of the Monsters?"

Frank: Normally, I'd say Godzilla's son, maybe Minilla growing up and mutating into something that more resembles his "father," but another interesting idea would be Anguirus taking up the mantle. It could be akin to how Bumblebee started leading the Autobots in the Transformers ongoing series - this underdog who may not have many wins under his belt, but he's determined and feisty, definitely not one to give up. It would be great to see a bunch of monsters fighting, then little Anguirus showing up and putting them all in their place.

3.) What was the first Godzilla product you owned and do you still have it?

Frank: Hmmmm...that would probably be my 6-inch Imperial Godzilla, which I received before I even saw any of the films! One of my favorite memories is having it while going with my parents to a restaurant when I was very young, and this restaurant had a kids' area in the back of the property. In that area, there was a giant, inflatable "Godzilla," like the props that car dealerships use to promote sales. I sat at his feet, holding my little Godzilla, and was just in awe, since it was the biggest thing my little five-year-old brain had ever beheld.

4.) Godzilla should return to (blank).

Frank: Gonna' have to be more specific! It doesn't really feel like Godzilla should have to "return" to anything. Toho's doing a good job of keeping any new incarnations true to the classic interpretation...but if anything, I'd like to see a "return" to some of the wackiness of the Showa era (1950's-70's) when there was a wide range of crazy ideas that writers like Shinichi Sekizawa were pumping out en masse.

5.) What fiction-turned-reality terrifies you more, giant monsters or zombies?

Frank: Hmmmm...that's a good one, because both represent very real, primal fears. Monsters represent being insignificant, being powerless, and zombies represent civilization dying and, in effect, turning on itself. However, a giant monster is a bit more of an adventurous situation, because the threat in centrally focused, so a battle plan can be devised. Zombies are a plague that infect a wide radius of influence, and it becomes a battle of attrition. I'd say that zombies "scare" me more, but in the face of a 30-story behemoth, I think I'd be plenty scared regardless!

6.) What was the most challenging aspect of creating your issue of 'Legends'?

Frank: Probably finding the right balance of compelling human drama to go with the monster action. Jeff Prezenkowski and I were both laser-focused on trying to make our human characters likable and compelling, not just walking mouthpieces that spout exposition between monster fights.

7.) What was the most fun part of the process for you?

Frank: Drawing the monsters, of course! It's always a thrill to find a new, cool angle to draw a kaiju, to really get a feel for how they move and act and express emotion without words. Also, explosions.

8.) Is there anything you wish you could have done differently?

Frank: Definitely could have used more pages, but them's the breaks! You've got to use the resources you're given.

9.) What do YOU want to see from future Godzilla comics? From the upcoming new movie?

Frank: From the comics? More exploration of the Godzilla universe. Aliens, ancient gods, undersea civilizations, south seas island babes, you name it!
From the movie? A good story and a REAL Godzilla. Icing on the cake would be exploring the angle of the helplessness of the humans, who, instead of just shooting at their problems, find a more clever, but costly, way to vanquish the monster (or monsters).

10.) Who's your favorite monster?

Frank: I have a soft spot for Varan. C'mon, he's an ancient demigod-reptile-flying-squirrel!

JEFF PREZENKOWSKI (co-writer: Legends #1)

1.) If you had the chance, what Godzilla movie would you remake and why?

Jeff Prezenkowski: Destroy All Monsters (1968) because I'm a sucker for having every Toho monster loose in cities around the world and then all coming together for the climax. I know Godzilla: Final Wars (2004) was sort of a psuedo remake/homage but I don't count Godzilla sprinting through monster battles with multiple monsters and no climactic battle royal with ALL the monsters as a true remake.

2.) Godzilla has died. Who do you think should take his place as "King of the Monsters?"

Prezenkowski: King Kong. But I'm talking '33 Kong (or '05 Kong), not Toho's Kong. Now granted if '33 Kong had to tangle with anything out of Toho's monster menagerie, he'd pretty much just get squashed. But I love me some Kong and in my eyes, he's the only one worthy of the throne after Godzilla has gone belly up.

3.) What was the first Godzilla product you owned and do you still have it?

Prezenkowski: Oh wow, that's tough since I've loved Godzilla for as long as I can remember so it's hard to pinpoint exactly which product that I owned as a kid was first. My first memory of a Godzilla toy is probably of the getting Mattel's Shogun Warrior Godzilla for Christmas. I couldn't have been more than 3 or 4 years old but I very distinctly remember carrying that thing around with me everywhere that year.

4.) Godzilla should return to (blank).

Prezenkowski: The big screen! And I'm talking Japanese/Toho too.

5.) What fiction-turned-reality terrifies you more, giant monsters or zombies?

Prezenkowski: You know it's funny, I've actually had nightmares that entail both of these scenarios. I think the giant monsters ones have scared me out of sleep more often because I'm always trapped in a building that's being demolished by a monster and there's never any escape. Zombies, you can shoot and they don't cause you to be crushed under falling debris.

6.) What was the most challenging aspect of creating your issue of 'Legends'?

Prezenkowski: Keeping the human character's story as compelling as the monster story/action. As a giant monster fan, there's nothing worse to me than having to sit through boring human interactions in between monster battles. Hopefully, we succeeded in keeping the reader just as riveted when there aren't any monsters on the page.

7.) What was the most fun part of the process for you?

Prezenkowski: Definitely getting to play with Toho monsters in pairings that haven't been seen before.

8.) Is there anything you wish you could have done differently?

Prezenkowski: Even after the issue has been sent off to the printer (and I've already read over it a dozen times) there's still always lines of dialogue that I find I wish I could change or lose.

9.) What do YOU want to see from future Godzilla comics? From the upcoming new movie?

Prezenkowski: From the comics, I'd love to see even more of Toho's monsters make it from screen to page. From the upcoming movie, I want a great monster vs monster battle set amongst a a really compelling human character story. Something that can be appreciated by both monster and non-monster fans alike. And you know, actually have it be Godzilla this time (cough, cough...'98 giant lizard movie)!

10.) Who's your favorite monster?

Prezenkowski: Well Godzilla of course and I already mentioned Kong. But after them, I'm all about Gigan.
ebirahsmeg1
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Guitar Rodan » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:11 pm

Excellent story (Especially for a one-shot), excellent art, pretty good characters, but cheesy dialogue. Loved it overall, but it left me wondering one thing- did the people at the computers in the beginning make it out all right? I hope so, because the blonde guy with his hand on the keyboard was my favorite character.
Gun shy
Guitar Rodan
Slayer

Postby brabbs316 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:23 pm

I would say this is the best issue yet. Great story and even better artwork. Kicks the ongoings ass big style!
brabbs316
Red Shirt

Postby Chris55 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:10 am

Matt Frank/Bob Eggleton podcast interview I did a week ago. Enjoy!

http://tohokingdom.com/media/podcast.htm
Chris55
Private

Postby attilagodzilla » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:56 pm

Love it
and i thought it couldn't get better with Gansters and Goliats ordarkhorse but this is
wow i'm just speachless if this were the main series not that i don't like kingdom of monsters but just if the main series was like this it would be muuch better

it gets a well deserved 5out of 5
attilagodzilla
Private

Postby Void_Master » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am

What an excellent issue! Such a great battle, that left me guessing from the beginning. After all, how could Angurius possibly beat Destroyah? But he keeps going, no matter what, like always. I could find no faults with this issue at all, everything about it being good. I especially love the shot of Godzilla swimming toward Angurius and then their standoff after he rises from the water. Definitely one of the best shots of Godzilla in a comic (I just love it when we have a picture that can give us a sense of his size).

One thing stands out to me above all else though: I hadn't noticed that Angurius has never won a fight! Thinking back though, it's true. What is up with that? For being as popular as he is, you'd think that Toho would have gave him a win...
Go Go Godzilla!

Okay to print.
Void_Master
Transforumer

Postby Batagor » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:36 am

Geekadelphia had posted a nice review for Godzilla:Legends #1 last month:

Geekadelphia wrote:Godzilla Legends #1
By Matt Frank and Jeff Prezenkowski

Saturdays in my house when I was a little kid meant two things: cartoons and Godzilla movies. I would sit in front of the television and watch whatever Godzilla flick was on, enraptured by the sight of a giant monster destroying Tokyo again. When IDW announced their new line of Godzilla comics, I was doubtful the comics could be as good as the movies. Turns out I was wrong.

Godzilla Legends is meant to put the spotlight on Godzilla’s friends and enemies and in issue #1 we get Anguirus. Admittedly, not the best monster to start with, but the issue works very well. Frank and Prezenkowski give us an entertaining comic that doesn’t try to be something it’s not. This isn’t The Dark Knight Returns; they know it and don’t try to be. What we do get is monsters beating the snot out of each other, some really top notch manga inspired artwork and a fun, light story that will leave a smile on your face. What more could you ask for?

When reading Godzilla Legends #1, I felt like I was a kid again, sitting on the floor, watching movies on a Saturday. I would give this book my recommendation just for that alone. Luckily, there is also a great comic book to be had as well.

You can find the review here:
http://geekadelphia.com/2011/11/22/comi ... n-america/
Batagor
Transforumer

Postby Batagor » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:45 am

Here is one other really good review for Godzilla: Legends #1 that I missed the first time around, from Multiversity Comics. It's another pretty substantial review, so I only post the conclusion here. His main recommendation? Less humans, more monsters! :)

Multiversity Comics wrote:Would I recommend Godzilla Legends to everybody? Probably not, but I’d definitely say pick it up if you’re enjoying the regular series, with the caveat that the two books are very different. Kingdom of Monsters is a more traditional long form piece telling the story of a world terrorized by giant monsters for the very first time, while Godzilla Legends strips away all of the superfluous details and jumps right in and sets two monsters at each others’ throats without much regard for who or what is in the middle. This book is the Godzilla equivalent of Batman:Legends of the Dark Knight, and as a longtime fan, I look forward to a series of out of continuity, done-in-one stories, and genuinely hope it does well enough to garner more mini-series like it down the road.

Final Verdict: 7.0 – Definitely worth a look

You can find the full review at Multiversity Comics site:
http://www.multiversitycomics.com/2011/ ... nds-1.html
Batagor
Transforumer

Postby lbh » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:01 pm

I Love this issue :D , it's the Best IDW has done yet 8) . A nice hommage to a favorite Kaiju Anguirus and a well paced fun Kaiju Centric story, nice art, Arthur Adams cover is wonderful. I hope that they will do more issues of the Godzilla series with this kind of effort and passion :D ....One thing that struck me though, I noticed that Destroyer (Destroyah if you must) is spelled Destoroyah was that a misprint or what :?
lbh
I'm kind of a big deal

PreviousNext

Return to Godzilla and the Toho Monsters