Star Trek Ongoing: Where No Man's Gone Before - Reviews, etc

Trekkies, Trekkers, Trek-newbies, or just fans of "Free Enterprise," are all welcome here.

Moderators: Ryall, Bobby Curnow, Mariah

Postby Zed » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:14 am

I like the graphic.

The story: Boring. Slow. I don't like it. Really and sorry. I know the finale, and i didn't get anything new. After the movie adventure i waited something more interesting, more exciting. For example more information about the extra-sensory perception (ESP), which could be a new way to the sequel movie. I miss Elizabeth Dehner from the story. When i said that i would like to see a Star Trek ongoing comics, i mean a new crew, a new cap with new adventures. It's just an old story with a reboot crew. I like Kirk because he save sexy chicks from sci-fi-horror situations. Because he has a big ship and there are the savege klingons (so many times better enemies than the Borg). But this time Kirk just show me an old episode without the hot chick.
Zed
Red Shirt

Postby FireChief420 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:50 pm

Nice review avenger1340, welcome to the IDW boards.

After seeing the new Trek movie in theaters I was hoping that there would be a continuation of the original stories in the new time-line. For obvious reasons the second movie should be Space Seed. I'm really glad that IDW decided to take this route and I will be getting these comics monthly.
ImageImage
Okay to print.
FireChief420
Slayer

Postby Torpedo » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:40 pm

I loved this issue and I'm really excited for the new series. I was never a huge Trek fan; I saw a couple of the movies and maybe three episodes from the classic '60s show and that's about it. But the 2009 reboot movie blew me away.

This issue felt like a classic story from the original show (it is, right?) with the look and style of the new movie. I thought the art was top notch and the character designs references expertly from the movie. I could hear Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto and Karl Urban delivering those lines. For me, for my background knowledge of and interest in the Star Trek franchise, it was pitch-perfect. I'm sorry if long time fans were unsatisfied, but I hope IDW continues this series in the same direction.
Torpedo
Transforumer

Postby Pauln6 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:43 am

I agree up to a point. The franchise has a lot of potential but I hesitate to say that it was pitched perfectly. They need to update the stories so that they are less sexist and writing out out the principle female lead because of a bad break-up with one of the male characters (while funny) is a bit of an insult of to the women of the 23rd century, or rather the woman of the 23rd century, since Uhura is still the only female crewman.

The Galileo 7 had a crew of 6 men and 1 woman and will be another acid test. Do they re-use the same characters or adjust the male/female dynamic (if Chekov can be 4 years older there is no reason why some of the redshirts can't be women now). I would have thought that leaving Uhura on the bridge will add a fresh dimension given her feelings for Spock (although I will be very annoyed if she goes to pieces as Uhura was one of the most competent and professional members of the TOS crew). If they replace Yeoman Mears with Uhura then that will cement a very worrying trend that it turning the age of equality into the age of Star Wars where we get one high profile woman amid a sea of men.
Pauln6
Red Shirt

Postby The_Scourge_of_Romulus » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:02 pm

Pauln6 wrote:I agree up to a point. The franchise has a lot of potential but I hesitate to say that it was pitched perfectly. They need to update the stories so that they are less sexist and writing out out the principle female lead because of a bad break-up with one of the male characters (while funny) is a bit of an insult of to the women of the 23rd century, or rather the woman of the 23rd century, since Uhura is still the only female crewman.

The Galileo 7 had a crew of 6 men and 1 woman and will be another acid test. Do they re-use the same characters or adjust the male/female dynamic (if Chekov can be 4 years older there is no reason why some of the redshirts can't be women now). I would have thought that leaving Uhura on the bridge will add a fresh dimension given her feelings for Spock (although I will be very annoyed if she goes to pieces as Uhura was one of the most competent and professional members of the TOS crew). If they replace Yeoman Mears with Uhura then that will cement a very worrying trend that it turning the age of equality into the age of Star Wars where we get one high profile woman amid a sea of men.

This raises an interesting point, actually. While I think that TOS has held up pretty well from the 1960s, there are a number of elements which just seem strange from a modern perspective (a minor example in this latest issue is having characters talk about "extra-sensory perception" in Human Beings as if it were a real thing; while there was some scientific research of this theory in the sixties, and it fit in fairly well with the "Human Potential" movement that was flourishing during the era, the whole idea of ESP has been fairly thoroughly discredited by the present day).

Likewise, while the Original Series was pretty fair for its day, there are actually quite a few episodes with gender dynamics that meshed very well with 1960s culture which today seem bizarre and outdated. I'm interested to see how they will handle more "troublesome" episodes such as Mudd's Women, Turnabout Intruder and Spock's Brain.

...On the other hand, while I wouldn't mind seeing Harry Mudd in the new universe, I would be just as happy if they completely skipped over the episodes I just listed.
The_Scourge_of_Romulus
Comic Book Guy

Postby DanielW » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:04 pm

For those of you put off by the fact a digital comic is cover price for a print comic, IDW's now saying that all "day and date" releases are cover price for a month then the usual $1.99.
DanielW
Transforumer

Postby Pauln6 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:11 pm

The_Scourge_of_Romulus wrote: This raises an interesting point, actually. While I think that TOS has held up pretty well from the 1960s, there are a number of elements which just seem strange from a modern perspective (a minor example in this latest issue is having characters talk about "extra-sensory perception" in Human Beings as if it were a real thing; while there was some scientific research of this theory in the sixties, and it fit in fairly well with the "Human Potential" movement that was flourishing during the era, the whole idea of ESP has been fairly thoroughly discredited by the present day).

Likewise, while the Original Series was pretty fair for its day, there are actually quite a few episodes with gender dynamics that meshed very well with 1960s culture which today seem bizarre and outdated. I'm interested to see how they will handle more "troublesome" episodes such as Mudd's Women, Turnabout Intruder and Spock's Brain.

...On the other hand, while I wouldn't mind seeing Harry Mudd in the new universe, I would be just as happy if they completely skipped over the episodes I just listed.

I think Harry Mudd may get a cameo in the next movie and I expect him to be the more sinister character we saw in Mudd's Women. I'd love it if we had an epilogue where he's selling salvage on an orion trade hub and the camera pans out to the vessel marked 'Botany Bay'...

I actually think the Cage did very well in terms of gender dynamics. Vina is a great sci fi heroine even by modern standards. When they rebooted the franchise to bring in Kirk they did take a step backwards and most of the women featured after the Cage were very girly, emotional, not very observant, and often swayed by attention of male crew members or the odd Greek god. I think it was because of nervousness about showing interracial relationships that the two black women in the show were just generally shown as being really good at their jobs, without the encumbrance of romance. Telling then that the first thing they did with NuUhura was give her a boyfriend!

Helen Noel was fun and Ann Mulhall could hold her own, although she spent much of her episode possessed by a girlier alien. They should really update Rand though - make her a tougher, more confident action heroine - I see no reason why the Captain's Yeoman could not be security trained. I'd really like to see a version of the Enemy Within where Rand kicks the cr*p out of evil Kirk when he tries to rape her - let's see the victim fight back properly for once! There's not much hope for Chapel though unless they move her into biological sciences away from McCoy.

Even though Will Decker and Ilia would be very young (Decker is about as old as NuChekov) and they were effectively recast as Riker and Troi, I think I would quite like to see a quasi-regular deltan on the ship so that we can explore some different aliens. Deltan pheromones can affect other people's emotional states, plus they have limited empathic abilities which could just be put down to an innate awareness of other beings' pheromones rather than a Deanna style empathic reading, although Deltans were certainly capable of forming empathic links with each other. An andorian security chief would also be quite cool (I used Suzie Plakson for the basis of my andorian secuity chief in a little Youtube comic I made and she looked really groovy).

They may be constrained not to depart too far from the original scripts but it will be very interesting to see if the introduce some new characters in the original stories.
Pauln6
Red Shirt

Postby The_Scourge_of_Romulus » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:56 pm

Pauln6 wrote:They may be constrained not to depart too far from the original scripts but it will be very interesting to see if the introduce some new characters in the original stories.

Or even just bring back Uhura's Orion friend.
The_Scourge_of_Romulus
Comic Book Guy

Postby Pauln6 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:31 am

I'm ambivalent about Gaila. I love the Orions as an antagonist species, especially Vina and their appearances in ST: Enterprise but Gaila was little more than a sex joke. If, like Worf, they give her a complex background and use her as a springboard for Orion stories, I'd be up for it.

However, there is the 'slight' problem that she was assigned to a ship that was destroyed next to a planet that, moments later, turned into a black hole...
Pauln6
Red Shirt

Postby Darth Bombshell » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:58 am

Pauln6 wrote:However, there is the 'slight' problem that she was assigned to a ship that was destroyed next to a planet that, moments later, turned into a black hole...

She was? I don't remember that. IIRC, we don't actually hear where she got assigned.
Everything I say is OK To Print, Even the Bad Stuff.
"The ongoing had Spike. What need have it of interesting character driven moments between the robots?" = Urzu Six
"And lo, Jesus said unto the moneylenders, 'Give me your face!'" = Kirjava
Darth Bombshell
Transforumer

Postby Pauln6 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:30 am

Apparently we do. She jumps all excited and goes off to the Farragut I think. She wasn't assigned to the Enterprise.

However, there were Orions in the crowd and the end and a different Orion on the Enterprise in a deleted scene (Kirk mistakes her for Gaila).

The Orions were cooler as amoral, villainous pirates though. I'm not sure I want them to be taken into Starfleet with such gusto just because it's easy to apply green make-up. Gaila was just too... perky. A green, perky slut with none of the magnetic allure of Vina. I think they can do better. I'd prefer andorians, tellarites, saurians, and zaranites. Why do non-Federation Orions get more cadets in the crowd than Andorians? No fair! At least Deltans have some nebulous empathic abilities and more varied pheromone manipulation to give them more strings to their bow than the Orions.
Pauln6
Red Shirt

Postby DanielW » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:34 pm

Pauln6 wrote:Why do non-Federation Orions get more cadets in the crowd than Andorians?

Because people on the street will remember "the hot green chick" when they think of Star Trek of old and not "the blue guys with the antenna".
DanielW
Transforumer

Postby Pauln6 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:28 am

I'm not so sure that this is that true. A hot blue chick with antennae might actually be more memorable than a hot green chick.

If Vina is well known it might only be because she appeared in the final frame of the TOS credits most weeks. Of course, it's arguable that Nero's intervention has meant that it is now more socially acceptable for Orions to enter Starfleet justifying 3 graduating in the same year (whereas previously in 140 years we had never seen a single Orion officer). Gaila herself was a sex joke and a nod to the myth that Kirk had made out with a green chick. If she was to reappear she could not continue to be just a sex joke, she would need some other useful story purpose either to assist them in an Orion story or a niche on the ship that is not filled by some other character. It's doable but I just think that there are more stories to mine using Andorian characters.

There was an executive decision not to include any races from TOS when they started making TNG and they justified Andorian absence later by saying that it was hard to make the antennae look good. This was why we got the considerably less interesting blue Bolians. When they finally started using Andorians in ST: Enterprise they were quite popular and there were even plans for Shran to become a member of the Enterprise's crew in season 5 that never was. I think the reason they are reluctant to use Andorians on screen is still the antennae, which require CGI or mechanical prosthetics but even then, that would not be a bar to using one in the background of the graduation scene using static antennae attached to the white wig or using some Andorians in the comics.
Pauln6
Red Shirt

Postby avenger1340 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:41 pm

I am really having a fun time with this idea. What does it hurt to adapt the episodes for a comic series? This doesn't have to be canon, it can just be fun and tie the two universes together in some way.

Star Trek #2 Review
Geoff Arbuckle
Writer/Editor
acomicbookblog.com
My articles - http://acomicbookblog.com/author/geoffarbuckle/
Follow me on Twitter @geoffsramblings
avenger1340
Private

Postby DanielW » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:04 pm

Avenger, I think the sticking point for some fans about the adaptations is the idea that as much fun and intriguing it is, we'd also like to see new adventures - after all the film wasn't an adaptation of the Cage was it?
DanielW
Transforumer

PreviousNext

Return to Star Trek