Ninja Notes (letters page)

Moderators: Sprite, Bobby Curnow, Venom

Ninja Notes (letters page)

Postby Bobby Curnow » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:07 pm

Hey guys,

With the TMNT ashcan out (and to be posted here soon), we want to start getting your feedback and questions. If you want to submit something for the letters page, please do so here. (letters submitted by August 1st are eligible for the 2nd issue!).

Also feel free to write 'letters@idwpublishing.com'

And make sure to write 'Okay to print' at the end of your post!
"I've lost all the hamburgers."
Bobby Curnow
IDW Editor

Re: Ninja Notes (letters page)

Postby Venom » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:25 pm

Bobby Curnow wrote:Hey guys,

With the TMNT ashcan out (and to be posted here soon), we want to start getting your feedback and questions. If you want to submit something for the letters page, please do so here. (letters submitted by August 1st are eligible for the 2nd issue!).

Also feel free to write 'letters@idwpublishing.com'

And make sure to write 'Okay to print' at the end of your post!

The letters page is called "Ninja Notes", eh? Cool. It has a nice ring to it.
If ya'll decide to choose another name, "Turtle Tracks" is always a great choice. :wink:
Yep, okay to print me!
Venom
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Master Splinter » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:15 pm

Sounds good. Can't wait to start reading the book so I can send in some letters... :D

-ms
MutantOoze.org | A Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Fansite
Master Splinter
Private

Postby Goongasnootch » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:47 pm

I just read the TMNT ashcan several times in a row and I love it!

Old Hob really surprised me. I was optimistic to start with but I imagined him being much bushier and uglier. He looks like a very streetwise and strong enemy! A perfect way to introduce the Turtles before you introduce the Foot!

I also like how the Turtles' personalities are reflected by their fighting styles. It was something I was hoping for before even reading the ashcan.

Also, Tom Waltz, sorry for not knowing who you were right away when we met at the Mutation in Progress in San Diego. Like I said, I'm sort of behind on my who's who in comics.

Anywho, keep up the fantastic work! I'm really excited for this series!

Lifelong TMNT fan,
Josh "Party Dude" Christopher
http://www.halfshellheroes.com/

OKAY TO PRINT
Goongasnootch
Slayer

Postby Cybercubed » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:05 pm

Old Hob looks better than I imagined from the preview in the ashcan. I am really surprised at how menacing he looks, this is definitely not a cat to play around with.

Does Kevin Eastman have any plans to do any solo issues himself someday? Perhaps a standalone special? It would be neat to see the creator get to do his own story arc somewhere down the line.

I hope this series goes on as long as possible, its contributions to TMNT mythology already seem well done.

-Cybercubed.
Cybercubed
I'm kind of a big deal

My Letter

Postby Donatello » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:55 pm

Dear Eastman & Co.,

I've been a life long fan of the Turtles (I'm 24) and I am extremely excited for this new series! IDW is a great home for our mutated heroes. My favorite Turtle is undoubtably Donatello. Since I was young he's always been my Turtle of choice, ergo my questions are Donny-specific: are there any plans to touch upon Donatello's pacifistic tendencies like has been done to some extent in past incarnations? I was always interested in seeing more of Donny struggling to compromise his passive demeanor with his martial abilities and duties.

Also, what are the chances of seeing a story arc containing glimpses of future Donatello, akin to either Mirage Volume 2 #1 (where Splinter tells Donatello he will visit Japan to bury him) or Archie's future Donatello?

Well, I guess that's it for now! Thank you so much for reading this and for continuing the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles legacy.

Always a Turtles fan,

Matthew M. Montelione

(Okay to print)
Donatello
Slayer

Postby Kildarbird » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:58 pm

Hi guys!

I am a big fan of the Turtles and IDW and am very happy to see the two finally together!

I saw from news reports at San Diego Comic Con that the micro series comics would be returning, and thought it was very cool that you are starting again with Raphael (just like in the old books). I was also very pleased to see the Angel creative team working on it! Will other creative teams be put together for Leonardo, Donatello and Michelangelo?

I also love everything I have seen of Tom Waltz and Dan Duncan's work so far and no knock to their work (which I am really excited for) but will we be seeing any of the old Mirage guys coming back to the Turtles at some point? There's a tremendous want for Steve Murphy and Chris Allan to finish their long overdue "Forever War" story from the Archie run, and I'd love to see Tristan Jones tell more Turtle tales. I know it is also every fan's dream to see Kevin and Peter Laird team up again!

From what we have seen so far, things seem very different to past comic versions with Old Hob being their enemy. Will we be seeing much from the past versions reappearing (storylines, ideas, characters) in this new series?

Keep up the good work everyone! Very excited to see the Turtles back (and in color again)!

Andrew Peters
(Okay to print)
Kildarbird
Red Shirt

Postby coolray85 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:25 am

dear creative team on idw tmnt!

so far I have seen images of the ashcan preview of the first issue and have to tell you that I am not only pleased, but very excited now for the series!....although the four individual's covers for issue one had me still unsure whether I was going to embrace the new visual style of dan duncan with ease at first but now that I've seen more I am in awe about it!!seriously, the color job is very well executed in my opinnion, the inking looks beautiful and the fight scenes just like my fellow ninja note writers have stated are of special grace....I love donatello's bo handling and especially the nice action shots of michelangelo using his nunchuku...finally, they look like that interesting weapon from 'enter the dragon' again!!...
I wish you all the best for the series and sit next to my mailbox in anticipation of the first issue to hit...
greetings from oversease!
marcel the cel;)
(okay to print)
coolray85
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Thorneyeagle » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:29 am

Being new to the world of comics I will wait before submitting a letter but I enjoy the concept.this is the kid in me but I hope you do gimmicks like a turtle answers your letter. Just a thought.

Oh please hurry with the ashcan. I am so out of the loop.
Thorneyeagle
Slayer

Postby Rat A Tat » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:22 am

Bobby,

What is the deadline to get a letter into issue #3? Will it be a consistent 1st-of-the-month deadline, so September 1st?

I wanted to get a letter in for issue 2 but my account here on the forums didn't get activated until the 2nd. (Doh!)
Rat A Tat
Private

Postby Bobby Curnow » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:58 am

Rat A Tat wrote:Bobby,

What is the deadline to get a letter into issue #3? Will it be a consistent 1st-of-the-month deadline, so September 1st?

I wanted to get a letter in for issue 2 but my account here on the forums didn't get activated until the 2nd. (Doh!)

Not too late for issue #2-- Monday we'll be finishing the letters column. Although I'm not sure if we've filled our space limit. Can't hurt to submit before Monday though.

Issue #3 will be full month later. But generally, the start of the month is a good deadline.
"I've lost all the hamburgers."
Bobby Curnow
IDW Editor

Postby Venom » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:59 pm

Tom, Kevin, and the rest of Team Turtles,

I want to express my excitement for the new series, as well as the collections and other awesome TMNT specials to come.

Since that day my Mom gave me the Turtlecycle and I told her it needed someone to ride it, I have loved the Turtles. What started with Michelangelo grew into most of Playmates's original line.

Then came the day my brother took me to the comic shop with him and I picked up my first two Mirage TMNT comics - "Sons of the Silent Age" (#28) and "Soul's Winter" (#31). My mind was blown by these drastically different Turtles!!

Years went on, I collected the Archie TMNT Adventures and picked up Mirage and Image books when I came across them. Then 2001 rolled around.

I found out the Turtles were coming back to comics in a Wizard blurb and my spark for the TMNT was rekindled into a full-blown conflagration once again!

Since then I've managed to collect full runs of each American Turtle series, and will continue to support the Turtles until they pull back into their shells. Hopefully that will not be for a very long time to come.

IDW bringing Kevin Eastman on board, and his excitement to be working with the Turtles again, brings a positive aura to the book.

In closing, the Turtles hold a very dear place in my heart, and while at first I had my doubts as how the guys would be treated as part of a corporate product, I feel they are in good hands.

Thanks,
Robert Greenhaw
Okay to print
Yep, okay to print me!
Venom
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby DanielW » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:39 am

when is the digital version going to drop?
DanielW
Transforumer

Postby Mamu_Nestor » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:31 am

After reading the first issue, I am really excited about the new series. I was only hopeful before it actually came out. I love good martial art stories, like The immortal Ironfist, Usagi Yojimbo, Storm Shadow, and of course the turtles. Thanks guys for bringing this back. IDW is on the mark for their target audiences. You guys have some great titles. Keep up the good work.
Author: Karate is Self-Defense Available at Amazon.com. Kindle version available.
Mamu_Nestor
Transforumer

Postby John Pannozzi » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:41 pm

Hey, IDW guys and gals, my name is John Pannozzi, I'm a longtime TMNT fan, and I was quite intrigued by the first issue of your new Turtles series, I eagerly await future issues. but I want to write you regarding the inclusion of TMNT (vol.1) #8 in the upcoming TMNT Ultimate Collection Vol. 2, and it's guest appearance by Dave Sim's character Cerebus the Aardvark.

I think that in the legal indicia of the book (and any and all future publications reprinting TMNT (vol. 1) #8 should include the statement (or a slight variation of which) that states "Cerebus (the Aardvark) (character) © Dave Sim (and Gerhard).", like IDW did with Hellboy and co.'s appearances in John Byrne's Danger Unlimited TPB, and with Circuit Breaker in the Transformers reprints.

I should note that the Spawn Origins Book One hardcover collection, which included Spawn #10 (which was written by Sim and featured Cerebus), had no such statement in its legal indicia, but they did include, as a forward to #10, a two-page article written by Sim in which he throughly covered his attitude regarding crossover reprints and why #10 hadn't reprinted in the past.

Additionally, the last story page of Spawn #10 itself includes a large blurb stating that Cerebus is trademarked and copyrighted by Dave Sim, which I imagined was enough legal coverage. The very first story page of TMNT (vol. 1) #8 includes the statement "Cerebus © Dave Sim", but it's not as noticeable, so I feel a proper statement in the book's legal indicia is a good idea, just to be safe.

I know that Sim's erstwhile partner Gerhard sold his interest in Cerebus a few years back (although Sim has chosen to still pay him royalties), but the legal indicia for the latest issue of the magazine Following Cerebus claimed in its legal indicia that Gerhard still co-owned the copyright to the Cerebus characters, so I'm not entirely sure if he should be mentioned or not in the legal indicia.

And in any case I must say that I would love to see the alternate TMNT (vol. 1) #8 by Steve Murphy and Jim Lawson included as a bonus in the TMNT Ultimate Collection Vol. 2, but if that doesn't work out, I still want to see released in another TMNT-related collection later on.

Okay to print.
John Pannozzi
I'm kind of a big deal

Next

Return to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles