Angel Yearbook Previews,Reviews & Spoilers.

Drop any comments about Joss Whedon's Angel, Spike or any of the related titles in this space, whether you have a soul or not.

Moderators: Ryall, Bobby Curnow, Mariah

Postby fluff » Wed May 25, 2011 10:15 am

I'm not the kind of person that doesn't feel the impact of the story just because it was spoiled but that's hardly the topic here. I'll obey the spoiler ban.
fluff
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby pshand05 » Wed May 25, 2011 10:25 am

Gotcha. I just don't want it ruined for anyone else. I think there should be sooo much discussion of the issue--details, too. Just not a full out spoilery summary of "This happens then this happens." But otherwise, I'm almost as excited to read the discussion as I was to pick up the issue.

And mannnn is this book purdy.
pshand05
Transforumer

Postby BrianLynch » Wed May 25, 2011 11:20 am

I can't wait to hold it in my hands! I'm so excited to have it. Sad, sure, but proud of what we did.
BrianLynch
Transforumer

Postby BrianLynch » Wed May 25, 2011 11:39 am

Also, if people want to know so badly, eh, spoil away. Let's go out conversing!

The ship is sinking but the band is still playing!
BrianLynch
Transforumer

Postby bitsyfest » Wed May 25, 2011 11:45 am

I brought my flugelhorn!
bitsyfest
Slayer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Wed May 25, 2011 12:15 pm

I've got my copy and really liked it.In light of paxthand and Brian's post and having read the book myself now,I'm not going to do a full writeup.Some of the stories are very short and it doesn't seem right to do that kind of writeup for this especially since it's IDW's last book.I will touch on a few things

Great job,patxshand.All the stories were actually great.Scot Tipton's Wes/Fred story set between Smile Time and AHITW was very tocuhing.Peter David's Harmony's blog was cute and I liked how Brian's story dealt with Angel finding a family in L.A.

The little Whedonesque cameo that closed out the book in Chris Ryall's piece was nice forth wall breaking.And I will quote the very last line of the book. :lol:

I kinda want to slay the Dark Hooooorse

Buffyfest also has an interview up with Brian.

http://buffyfest.blogspot.com/2011/05/i ... brian.html

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

IDW WEEK: Interview with Writer Brian Lynch

We continue IDW week with a writer who's near and dear to all of our hearts. Brian Lynch told us what happened to Angel after his famous last line, "Let's go to work." He brought Spike to new and exciting places and he introduced us to instantly beloved characters like Betta George and Beck. So, without further ado, here's the man himself, looking back at his times at IDW.

Buffyfest: What is your favorite behind the scene memory since you've been writing for the Whedonverse?

Brian Lynch: I have a lot of favorite memories working on this book. From getting the job in the first place, THAT was surprising and exciting. It was followed by the pure joy of writing the first issue of SPIKE:ASYLUM, and realizing how much fun I could have with Spike. Seeing Franco Urru's first pictures of Spike, and his first pages of ASYLUM, I remember where I was, what I was doing, what time of day. The man is the best thing that ever happened to me as a Whedonverse writer. He's taken some stuff that was iffy in script form and made it epic, heartbreaking, funnier than I thought possible...he's amazing.

Joss Whedon's email saying he liked ASYLUM and wanted me to do AFTER THE FALL was a stunning moment. Everything kind of changed at that point. It all became...bigger. And it meant I got to work with my hero. That doesn't happen often. Or, really, ever.

Seeing AINT IT COOL put up pages of AFTER THE FALL and reading reader's reactions...good and bad, it was thrilling. The signing we had the day ATF # 1 came out, I was literally going from the signing to the tasting for my wedding, and then boarding a plane to see my Dad who was sick in the hospital, so that day stands out. It was also the day Chris Ryall gave me my wedding present: that stunning "Wedding Edition" ATF # 1 with new artwork by Franco and EVERYBODY'S DEAD artist Dave Crosland.

Emailing and hanging out with Chris and Scott Tipton. We were always friends but this experience brought us all closer. We were kinda brothers in arms for years. Doing signings with them, hanging out at San Diego Comic Con. Meeting and hearing from all the people that were excited about the series. Definite highpoints.

The perfect storm of awesomeness was going to the New York Comic Con, where we announced the SPIKE series. I not only got to hang out with Scott and Chris, but I finally met Franco in person. Dave Messina, Stephen Mooney and his lovely wife Jacintha. Stephen is another co-creator that elevates any work he touches: he gets the emotion, the impact certain moments are supposed to have...I'm just lucky to know him as a artist and a friend.

Speaking of Mooney, we did the LAST ANGEL IN HELL special together, and seriously, what other comic company would say "you want to do a movie adaptation of a movie that doesn't exist? Okay, go for it!" I'm a lucky man.

Back to New York Con...I also finally met Pat Shand (another great human being and a talented writer in his own right) and got to thank him for the endless reviews/online conversations about my comics. I also met and was interviewed by you guys at Buffyfest, so there's another friendship that was forged because of this comic. So as you can see, it changed my life in a lot of ways.

I could go on and on. Juliet Landau was great to work with (writing a character with the person who PLAYED the character, wow). Writing issues of a comic book on a movie set made up to look like an Easter Factory (never got that SPIKE/HOP crossover). Getting to know Mariah as an editor and then being amazed at her writing. Working with Scott Allie so we could ease Spike into Buffy's world. Reading reviews of my book every time it came and realizing that people really CARED about these characters like they care about family members.

So, yes, many many good memories. A few bad ones, but WOW, who knew talking to my friend Chris Ryall about doing a five issue limited series about a monster asylum would change my life like it did? I'm really grateful for the experience.

Buffyfest: Which character are you going to miss the most and why?

BL: This is a tough one. Obviously I'm going to miss writing for Angel, and Spike. I've bonded with these characters. But at the same time, the world is a weird place and who knows what will happen in the future. I'm glad for the break now, as I want to play around in other worlds, but I haven't closed the door with these guys. When I was watching ANGEL years ago, I never in a million years thought I'd be asked to continue the series, anything's possible.

The original characters are kind of frustrating, because I had really fun next chapters for Beck, Betta George, Jeremy, Non and Tok. I had a lot to say. Doubt I'll get the chance, which is sad. Even if I ever write for Angel and Spike again, I doubt they'll be in a place where it will easy to reunite with my guys. But, who knows.

Buffyfest: Where do you see Angel in 20 years?

BL: Kansas. I'm not sure why. Kidding, I hope there are still new Angel stories being made, that's he on our side, and he's that right mixture of tortured and happy.

Thank you Brian Lynch for talking to us once again and for all you've given to the 'verse. Have a feeling we'll be seeing you around these parts again real soon.

And a big interview with Scott Tipton.

http://www.comics101.com/?page=C101
Last edited by Buffyversefantic on Wed May 25, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby angeliclestat » Wed May 25, 2011 12:32 pm

Wel I got the last ever IDW Angel (and possibly 'Angel') comic.

Congrats to all involved it was an excellent way to celebrate all the characters, and the series. Why Joss could not have let Angel alone and have him be at a place where such good work was being done will always baffle me.

So to give some quick opinions:

1/ ...dust to dust

Fitting that we start with the original 'ANGEL' pairing: Jeff Mariotte and David Messina.
'The Curse' and 'Old Friends' were really hampered by the 'we can't really tell you what happened after the show ended...but this is mayyybe it' clause which meant that Mariotte was not able to give the best work I know he is capable of in the Angelverse from his many excellent novels.

Here however he was not hampered by any such problems and gave us a nice little vignette of Gunn's development as a person and a vampire hunter. Short but to the point, it shows Gunn as a man raised to do the right thing...and how important family is.

2/OMG unicorns!

Now this was my least favourite part of the book. Too long, not terribly funny and really would have preferred a story about another member of the team. I am not a huge fan of Harmony, and the format of this did not appeal to me either. And with this being the last collection, it would have been better served having something different.

Peter David wrote some of the best early stories in the IDWverse, so I'm not gonna be too hard, but I won't ever be re-reading this.

3/All the time in the world.

The Wes/Fred/Illyria dream team of Tipton and Casagrande leave us with this beautiful, heartbreaking ode to the pairing that almost was. This is a lovely little addition to their work on 'A Hole in the World' and the Illyria mini which shows us what we were never allowed to see on TV (and which would have added even more to the devastation which followed)

Wes/Fred fans should be very grateful for this story.

4/My Only Friend.

This is a special story for a number of reasons. One it details something which was very important on the show - Angel's relationship with L.A. . I can't count the amount of times that L.A. was shown to be a place where people who 'didn't belong anywhere else' could go and find a place and a family. So it is fitting that a story which shows his connection to this city of Angels is in this final collection. It was short (too short, would have loved more!), and sweet...and we got exactly the depth of feeling behind it.

And of course it's special as it is the comic debut of Mr Patrick Shand. Huge congrats on your 1st published comic story. I doubt it will be your last. And we can all say we knew him at the beginning:)

5/Fight for the Remote

And of course...we have to have one last petty fight between Angel and Spike:) I loved all the references - Angel (and Boreanaz') love of Hockey, Passions...and of course a movie was going to be made of that!!:)

Again would have been nice to have even more of it, but a very funny 2 pages. Congrats bitsy!

6/This One Time

And now for the meat of the collection - the final Lynch/Urru Angelverse tale.

Not to re-hash a history lesson, but we all know that Spike:Asylum was the turning point for the IDW Angelverse comics. There had been some excellent ones before that, but this was something different. Something special. And a certain Mr Whedon thought so too, and because of this pairing we got After the Fall, and the ongoing...something for which I will be forever grateful.

This was a last (not chronologically of course) adventure for the gang. The central premise was a very clever way to get everyone involved and Lynch knows these characters so well you really think "Yes! that is so what character X would have done" in each of the "What-if moments". Everything was so true to the characters in this story, and it pretty much equalled a whole issue in terms of pages which was brilliant.

Brian Lynch is going to be really missed in the Angelverse.

7/ A Blessing and 'The Curse'

Not a story...but a little walk through Angel's time with IDW with a comicized Ryall. We all know how much Chris was dedicated to the Angel franchise...and how much it hurt him when it had to leave.

So as he takes off on Cordelia he delivers a final killer line which had me in stitches. I won't spoil. You gotta read it.

------------------------------------------------------------

So what can I say? Thank you so much for the last 6 years. I thought Angel was finished in that alley in 2004...little did I think I would still have Angel stories in 2011. It was because of the dedication, love, hard work and sheer damn talent of the writers, artists, editors, pencillers, inkers, colourists etc at IDW that this was made possible.

You have my everlasting gratitude.
angeliclestat
Transforumer

Postby Double Dutchess » Wed May 25, 2011 1:33 pm

I expect to get my copy tomorrow (can't wait!) and until then I'm following Pat's advice by skipping over everything that looks spoilerish. But I couldn't miss that last line quoted by Buffyversefantic -- :lol: :lol: :lol:
Double Dutchess
Transforumer

Postby Veiriti » Wed May 25, 2011 1:51 pm

I've just bought my copy on ebay, but I expect to get it after a week... Anyway I'd like to read it without spoilers. :)
Loved the interviews with Brian Lynch and Scott Tipton. And I think there is a little hope to see Brian in Buffy/Angelverse again! ;)
And it would be great Scott Tipton to continue with Angel series after ATF, he would have done better job than another authors (pstt Willingham and Armstrong)... I've totally enjoyed the way he wrote the Spike/Angel dynamic in Lost and Found and Auld Lang Syne.
Spike - "Love like that makes you stronger than anything... you CAN SAVE THE WORLD WITH A LOVE LIKE THAT."
Veiriti
Transforumer

Postby Buffyfest » Wed May 25, 2011 9:34 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for posting the Brian Lynch interview, Buffyversefantic! I love what Brian wrote - it was so heartfelt. Just to let you guys know, we're having IDW Week all week long. We'll have Mariah's interview up tomorrow and if you haven't seen Scott Tipton's interview it's on the front page right now.

Michelle
www.buffyfest.blogspot.com
buffyfest.blogspot.com
Buffyfest
Comic Book Guy

Postby Veiriti » Thu May 26, 2011 12:13 am

I have got one question to the people who have read the comics (no spoilers ;))
How many stories (excluding Brian’s story) have Spike? Thanks.
Bitsy, thanks for these interviews. I’ve just posted the link in BTube. ;) As I’ve said above Lost and Found and Auld Lang Syne are my favorite stories ;)
Spike - "Love like that makes you stronger than anything... you CAN SAVE THE WORLD WITH A LOVE LIKE THAT."
Veiriti
Transforumer

Postby Scott Tipton » Thu May 26, 2011 12:38 am

Veiriti wrote:As I’ve said above Lost and Found and Auld Lang Syne are my favorite stories ;)

I like the cut of your jib, Veriti.
Scott Tipton
Slayer

Postby DanielW » Thu May 26, 2011 1:59 am

My father has a habit of bellowing for assistance with his computer when I'm just into a comic.

I was just finishing the Wes/Fred story when he called for help - and I had a tear in my eye. I had to tell him I poked myself in the eye with the arm of my glasses.
DanielW
Transforumer

Postby Veiriti » Thu May 26, 2011 3:04 am

Scott Tipton wrote:
Veiriti wrote:As I’ve said above Lost and Found and Auld Lang Syne are my favorite stories ;)

I like the cut of your jib, Veriti.

Hee, thanks! :D And Mr. Tipton, did I mention I’m in love with your Illyria mini series? ;) I loved this character before, but your (and Mariah’s ) Illyria Haunted I made me to love her twice more! I still think you should have to write the Angel’s series after ATF. You’re so into these characters.
Thank you for your wondelful stories! :)
Veiriti
Transforumer

Postby Double Dutchess » Thu May 26, 2011 4:07 am

Buffyfest wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks for posting the Brian Lynch interview, Buffyversefantic! I love what Brian wrote - it was so heartfelt. Just to let you guys know, we're having IDW Week all week long. We'll have Mariah's interview up tomorrow and if you haven't seen Scott Tipton's interview it's on the front page right now.

Michelle
www.buffyfest.blogspot.com

I enjoyed the Brian Lynch and Scott Tipton interviews and I'm looking forward to the upcoming interviews with Mariah Huehner and David Tischman. (And I'm curious about the special guests.) Thank you for doing the IDW week! One final wallow in IDW goodness :D
Double Dutchess
Transforumer

PreviousNext

Return to Angel