IDW's relationship with Dark Horse

Discuss newly solicited books, current IDW titles, or anything else randomly related to IDW and their slate of books.

Moderators: Ryall, JohnBarber, Bobby Curnow, Denton J. Tipton, Mariah

IDW's relationship with Dark Horse

Postby Tothenines » Thu May 19, 2011 9:25 pm

Have these two companies ever paired up on anything before?

Reason I ask is because I'm new to the IDW family through TMNT... and Dark Horse prints Usagi Yojimbo nowadays, so I'm wondering if a cross over is ever going to be possible at one point.
Tothenines
Transforumer

Postby TreIII » Thu May 19, 2011 9:29 pm

Good question.

Of course on the other hand, if a cross-over does happen, I wonder how it's going to be handled. Is Usagi going to be meeting a different group of turtles than what's he seen before, or are we left to assume that things will pick up pretty much where the last cross-overs left off?
TreIII
Red Shirt

Postby Bovy » Thu May 19, 2011 10:59 pm

Answer from a guy who knows not much about TMNT:
IDW and Dark Horse might not be the best of buddies at the moment, due to much noice regarding the Angel license.
Things might have lightened up a bit now, but they weren't for a while ago.
(Short story: Dark Horse had Buffy and IDW had Angel. Later on, Buffy's big bad in Season 8 comics, Twilight, turns out to be Angel (done within the rights of the license, but still..)
and Joss pushes on for Dark Horse to get back the Angel license. Which they get. And a lot of the press was very poorly handled by Dark Horse.
Example: the news of getting the Angel license back comes in the letter column of a Buffy comic, NOT in a joint press release from both parties.)

For full disclosure: YES, I'm a disgruntled Angelfan.. :?
BUT, Usagi Yojimbo is creator owned, so it's up to the owner Stan Sakai (right name ?), what he wants to do.
Bovy
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Ro-Dan » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:22 pm

Dark Horse, Shmark Horse. I'd love to see IDW snag the STAR WARS license. (Never happen though.)
Ro-Dan
Transforumer

Postby John Pannozzi » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:35 am

Well, over the course of Dark Horse's run of Usagi, Stan Sakai has been free to use Usagi in some stories published by other companies like Oni Press (not to mention the Shi/Cyblade massively multiplayer crossover special published by Crusade published around the tail end of Mirage's Usagi series in the fall of 1995), so I'd imagine he'd be free to use Usagi in stories published by IDW.
John Pannozzi
I'm kind of a big deal

Return to IDW Projects