Recommend another IDW title as a replacement for Angel

Drop any comments about Joss Whedon's Angel, Spike or any of the related titles in this space, whether you have a soul or not.

Moderators: Ryall, Bobby Curnow, Mariah

Recommend another IDW title as a replacement for Angel

Postby Bovy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:03 pm

Angel is almost over here at IDW, that's sadly a fact. Many of you are following along to Dark Horse, and some might not. For those of you who have come to like IDW as a publisher, but haven't been a comic reader, just a reader of Angel, I thought this could be a fitting subject. I (and probably others also) have picked up other IDW titles at my stay here. Use this thread to give a short recommandation of a title, worthy as an Angel replacement.

Locke & Key
Writer: Joe Hill
Artist: Gabriel Rodriguez (cover artist for Angel #18 - 22, if the name sounds a bit familiar)
Finite series (6 books planned)
Genre: Fantasy, horror, action

1. Welcome to Lovecraft HC and TPB
2. Head Games HC and TPB
3. Crown of Shadows HC (TPB in June)
4. Keys to the Kingdom HC in May/June
5. Clockworks single issues, starting in June
6. Omega

Description, taken from an interview with artist Gabriel Rodrigues:
()..all started when the Locke family was torn apart by the vicious murder of the father, Rendell Locke, by the hands of a vicious couple of teenagers from the school in which he worked as a student counselor. The widow, Nina, and her three children, Tyler, Kinsey and Bode, crossed the country from San Francisco to Lovecraft, Massachusetts, to live in Keyhouse, an ancient property of the Locke family. While trying to mend their broken lives, the Locke children found out that they have not just deal with their trauma, but also with magic powers that wait for them, hidden in the old house, waiting to be “unlocked” with mysterious magic keys….
Feel free to make other suggestions for titles, or just write and agree with me on Locke & Key. :wink:
You, as a reader, is almost guaranteed to become as close connected to these characters as with Angel, Spike, Illyria, Connor, Gunn and so on..
Bovy
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Double Dutchess » Sun May 01, 2011 3:16 am

Following Deborahmm's recommendation (thanks Deb!) I started watching True Blood a while ago. And recently I bought the first True Blood HC. All familiar names on the creative team --Mariah Huehner and David Tischman, David Messina -- so it's no wonder that I liked it. So this is my recommendation. To be honest, there's nothing else I could recommend because I've read no other non-Angel related IDW comics so far, but I did enjoy it and I intend to buy more of the TB comics.
Double Dutchess
Transforumer

Postby pshand05 » Sun May 01, 2011 6:11 am

Groom Lake is really good, as is Wormwood Gentleman Corpse, Locke and Key, Love and Capes, etc.

If you guys liked Illyria: Haunted, you should check out Scott's Star Trek stuff as well.
pshand05
Transforumer

Postby JSPoole » Wed May 04, 2011 10:12 am

whats groom lake? sounds interesting

Im planning on picking up the infestation tpbs when they hit
JSPoole
Slayer

Postby pshand05 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:15 am

Chris Ryall wrote Groom Lake. Ben Templesmith drew it... and that is probably all I'm gonna say. I did a review of a few issues back in the day on my Buffyverse Comic Reviews blog, but I highly suggest just picking the trade up. It's ball-out hilarious.
pshand05
Transforumer

Postby sulfur » Wed May 04, 2011 7:41 pm

"Dead She Said" was silly fun too. From Steve Niles.

I'd strongly recommend "Fallen Angel" though. From Peter David and JK Woodward.
sulfur
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Mariah » Wed May 04, 2011 8:43 pm

Since I work for IDW it may seem a little biased for me to recommend things, but, I legitimately believe all these titles are amazing if you're a person who loves stories.

1. Locke and Key. I would read this book no matter who was publishing it. It's stunning. Joe Hill and Gabe Rodriguez are that rare and perfect storytelling team and it's really worth the time and investment. You can't do better than this series.

2. True Blood. Okay, so, I have co-written the first series...but that's not why I recommend it! I recommend it because David and David are fantastic, the show it's based on is crazy and fun and sexy and dark...and because we put all that in the comics. It's not the same feel as Angel, but it is fantasy/horror/dramedy and worth a read. Especially if you like bad blond vampires, Eric is like...whoa, hot.

3. Servant of the Bones. This is an adaptation of Anne Rice's novel that will start in September. It's the same art team as The Last Unicorn, and while it's not vamps, it is a very lyrical and complex story. Very literary, with Anne's direct involvement.

4. Anything Ryall writes its pretty much golden, so, Groom Lake, Zombies vs. Robots, Infestation...he has a funny and engaging style. And that's not because he's my boss. :}

5. Likewise,anything Brian touches is fantastic. Everybody's Dead is one of my favorites.

5. Scott Tipton's work is always wonderful, and he does a lot on different licenses worth checking out.

6. Tischman's done a lot of comics work all over, and I'd recommend Bite Club for those interested in another take on vampires. That's a Vertigo book. :}
Mariah
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Bovy » Fri May 06, 2011 1:40 am

Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse
Writer/Artist/Colourist: Ben Templesmith
Genre:humour,horror,fantasy and lots of tentacles :lol:

1. Birds, Bees, Blood & Beer TPB (HC out of print)
2. It only hurts when I pee TPB & HC
3. Calimari rising TPB & HC
(A one-shot: Down the pub- collecting variuos short stories)
4. Bingo Night in Valhalla single issues starting in July

Also in July: The very first issue of Wormwood for 1 $, in IDW's 100 Penny Press collection.
Very differernt art, from both Angel/Spike and other comics, so it can take some time to get used to.

Also from Templesmith and IDW:
Welcome to Hoxford (horror)
Singularity7 (sci-fi)
Groom Lake, written by Ryall (sci-fi & humour)
Bovy
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Double Dutchess » Fri May 06, 2011 6:22 am

Thanks everybody for all the recommendations. I will have to take a look at some of those!

I found an unused Angel cover by Ben Templesmith at the Comic Book Guide to Buffy the Vampire Slayer website:

Double Dutchess
Transforumer

Postby Bovy » Fri May 06, 2011 7:35 am

Nice portray of Angel in typical Templesmith way. Haven't seen that one before, but it's very typical of his art. I like it!
He can do likeness (Dr.Who: recent covers and a story with Doctor 10), it just has to be his kind of likeness.
A bit weird, really, that he's never done any covers for Angel, wether mini series or just one story arc.
I think, that's because he kind of "OD'ed" on vampires after 30 days of Night and maybe decided to be NOT cast as an typical vampire artist. Just my guess.

Oh! I forgot about Blood-Stained Sword, recently released TPB above. It collects two Templesmith drawn books, where one is written by Amber Benson. Old stuff, 3-4 years old.
Bovy
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby pshand05 » Fri May 06, 2011 7:41 am

He did other stuff for Angel!

pshand05
Transforumer

Return to Angel