anyone else bowing out of angel when it goes to dark horse?

Drop any comments about Joss Whedon's Angel, Spike or any of the related titles in this space, whether you have a soul or not.

Moderators: Ryall, Bobby Curnow, Mariah

anyone else bowing out of angel when it goes to dark horse?

Postby JSPoole » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:00 am

the whole twighlight thing showed me they have no respect for angels character- and hes going back to how joss would prefer, a puppet for buffy and only motivation is her. dh seem to throw away everything Id loved about angel that had the character move on and develop- same with spike. and who knows what they are going to do with illyria, etc.

I love it too much to see the series and characters degraded and made side shows in the buffy play.

so when idw is done with angel, thats time for me to bow out gracefully too. I stopped reading buffy because I just didnt think it was good, and just as the twighlight nonsense was getting into gear.

am I the only one quitting angel with idws run? that will be the offical end in my books.

thanks idw for an awesome run and not letting season five be the end, and for some wonderful stories and ideas, and thanks to all the writers, artists, everyone involved.
JSPoole
Slayer

Postby Darkholme » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:13 pm

I'm undecided.

I've been getting both angel and Buffy since After the fall #9, and I've been considering more and more whether or not I want to cancel my Dark Horse ones.

Roughly the second half of Buffy season eight was crap, in my opinion, and The whole Twilight storyarc irked me like it did the OP. However, some of the older Dark Horse buffyverse comics have been pretty good (and I have most of them)..

So yeah.. I dont know what I'll do about Angel once darkhorse takes it over.

I've hated pretty much all the Brad Meltzer stuff in Buffy Season 8, though I can't say for sure if I don't like what Joss Whedon did with it, or if I don't like Brad's writing. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I don't care for Georges Jeanty's artwork either. It's not my least favorite, but I still don't care for it.

So once Angel moves back to Dark Horse, I may pick it up; but I'll be screening it to see who is writing it, and to a lesser extent, who's drawing it. If It's Meltzer, I'll likely pick up the first issue just to be sure; but after that say 'no thanks, I'm done' if it turns out to be anywhere near as crap as the later sections of Buffy Season 8.

After which point, I'll likely be sticking to the stuff that's already out. There's lots of Buffyverse material already out there that I like enough to re-read. If nothing good is coming out, I'll start filing it away, along with Buffy's Twilight arc, The Twilight movie series my girlfriend made me watch, and Highlander 2, and M. Night Shyamalan's recent butchering of Avatar: The Last Airbender.

So no guarantees on whether or not I'll cancel my Dark Horse subscription, but well, Season 8 has my expectations really low. Of course, they could be lower, like my expectations of the new Buffy Movie with completely different characters, and no Whedon.

I hear hellboy is good, and I liked the movie. And maybe Brian will start up a new comic of some kind.
Darkholme
Red Shirt

Postby Jbreeny » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:43 am

I am still not sure whether I'll be picking it up. I was thoroughly dissapointed with the Buffy S8 and not just becaue of how badly they treated Angel but just the lackluster stories, horrible art and it was just so far removed from the tv show I fell in love with.

I'll more than likely check out the first few issues and then make my judgement. I am hoping that Dark Horse noticed the uproar thy caused with Angel fans and do their best to correct it.
Jbreeny
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Shade of Pale » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:11 am

Possibly not. I think I'll think about it a little more when the license has actually reverted back to Dark Horse, but they are starting Angel from a horrible place and their new writers will have to hit the ground running very fast, I think.
Shade of Pale
Transforumer

Postby JSPoole » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:39 am

I can understand wanting to see it t hrough to the bitter end

but personally...the last time DH had angel, he and his supporting cast were nothing more than bit players in the Buffy show. I know they are technically joss' toys, but they always felt like the unwanted toys he left to others to play with (and they made something special out of it). no disrespect to joss, he is a great writer- ut to me hes always seemed like he sees angel as very much subserviant to buffy and second place.

I dont want to see all this wonderful work by idw and the staff of angel put to waste- the twighlight arc showed EXACTLY why I cant go back. It showed me that the things I loved about those characters will be gone when idw is.

so Im bowing out in style, with the best angel there has been and will , its safe to say I feel, ever be in the comic medium, that live sup to its live action version.
JSPoole
Slayer

Postby DanielW » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:38 pm

I'm going to hang out for the first trade I think.
DanielW
Transforumer

Postby Shade of Pale » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:43 am

JSPoole wrote:I can understand wanting to see it t hrough to the bitter end

but personally...the last time DH had angel, he and his supporting cast were nothing more than bit players in the Buffy show. I know they are technically joss' toys, but they always felt like the unwanted toys he left to others to play with (and they made something special out of it). no disrespect to joss, he is a great writer- ut to me hes always seemed like he sees angel as very much subserviant to buffy and second place.

I dont want to see all this wonderful work by idw and the staff of angel put to waste- the twighlight arc showed EXACTLY why I cant go back. It showed me that the things I loved about those characters will be gone when idw is.

so Im bowing out in style, with the best angel there has been and will , its safe to say I feel, ever be in the comic medium, that live sup to its live action version.

I understand this. I think it is a good time to 'bow out,' and that probably I should as well. However, my' possibly not' has more to do with the fact I can't help the fact that I'm at least mildy curious at the moment. A well-written story might be tempting, but as I didn't find Angel's character arc in Season 8 believable then Season 9 is already way-behind the starting line for me, before it even gets underway.
Shade of Pale
Transforumer

Postby Double Dutchess » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:53 am

I was going to bow out, but with all the news about DH's "Angel and Faith" I'm no longer sure. I like the addition of Faith as a co-star and that it's going to be a "magic mystery noir" type of story. Also, it looks like it will have nice art. So I'm getting tempted to buy it after all. I feel conflicted about this though, because I hate what DH did to Angel in S8 and I feel like they don't deserve to be "rewarded" for that by buying their Angel comic.

I am definitely going to buy the Buffy S9, because it sounds like they've learned from their mistakes in S8 and it will be much more relatable and down to earth -- and so, hopefully much better. Also, it's got Spike.
Double Dutchess
Transforumer

Postby JSPoole » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:28 am

Double Dutchess wrote:I was going to bow out, but with all the news about DH's "Angel and Faith" I'm no longer sure. I like the addition of Faith as a co-star and that it's going to be a "magic mystery noir" type of story. Also, it looks like it will have nice art. So I'm getting tempted to buy it after all. I feel conflicted about this though, because I hate what DH did to Angel in S8 and I feel like they don't deserve to be "rewarded" for that by buying their Angel comic.

I am definitely going to buy the Buffy S9, because it sounds like they've learned from their mistakes in S8 and it will be much more relatable and down to earth -- and so, hopefully much better. Also, it's got Spike.

Thats why I am leaving it too- they dont deserve support for treating angel and it's characters like they did. if they thought that was a good idea- what else do they think are ''good ideas'?

and maybe if it gets enough praise around these parts (assuming these boards stay up) I might be tempted, but I just feel like dark horse doesnt deserve it.

keep in mind, the angel series and its fans were treated as unimportant by dark horse, both in ye old days when they half assed the angel comics, and even in the twilight arc- I dont think that will change to be honest.

but who knows, maybe they will prove me wrong. but as of now I have no interest in any more darkhorse stuff in terms of the buffy and angelverse.
JSPoole
Slayer

Postby Lostsoul666 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:27 pm

I'll read the first couple of issues and if I like it then I'll continue to read DarkHorse Angel and Faith series.
I'm worred about how the Angel characters will be written. I fear that Connor is going to go back to hating Angel again once he finds out about Angel's actions as Twilight.
I rather read a good non-canon story, then a bad canon story.
http://vampfox.deviantart.com/
Lostsoul666
Comic Book Guy

Postby Bovy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:55 am

It's pretty much THE END for me, after Angel: Yearbook.
In a lot of comic fandom, it's a question of following either fan-character or fan-creator.
Well, for me me it's a simple choise, since I've given up on both of them (as in both Angel and Whedon).
Life's to short to be spending money on buying books one doesn't enjoy, even if it means breaking a long time habit.

And I've zero hope for DH's Angel and Faith (and the rest of their stuff), since it's picking up from Buffy S8.
But I hope those of you who think otherwise, might enjoy still getting your regular dose of Angel.
Bovy
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby pshand05 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:45 am

We should go all DC and call Yearbook... "Angel: Whatever Happened to the Vampire with a Soul?"
pshand05
Transforumer

Postby Bovy » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:59 am

Buffy Season 8: "This is an Imaginary Story... Aren't they all?"
:wink:
Bovy
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby pshand05 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:14 am

Hah!
pshand05
Transforumer

Postby Jean-Vic » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:12 pm

Nope. Angel is Angel. I want to know what happens next. Yes, DH screwed up but I think they and Joss know that and have acknowledged it. I think things could pick up. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But why write the horse off before the race has started? If it needs putting down, I'll do it. Until then, I won't base my decisions on what has gone before. If I did that, I never would have got past Buffy Season 4. You all know my feelings on Ats Season 5. Aside from a few fantastic episodes (NFA, Time Bomb, AHITW, You're Welcome, Destiny, Damage etc) it was tremendously sucky! Didn't mean I wouldn't read the comics. Aftermath was beyond awful. Still read on. Same for the new Angel.
I'm so glad I'm an Asshole!
Jean-Vic
Transforumer

Next

Return to Angel