Latest Godzilla / Giant Monster Hauls!

Godzilla, Hedorah, Mothra, Rodan... doesn't matter who your favorite Toho monster is, chances are you'll see them in our coming comics. C'mon in and get some good "flame wars" going.

Moderators: Bobby Curnow, Mowry

Latest Godzilla / Giant Monster Hauls!

Postby ljacone » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:54 am

I thought this would be a fun topic: talking about the Godzilla or other giant monster related stuff we have purchased or received!

I just got in the mail on Saturday my DVDs of Godzilla Raids Again and Ghidorah, The Three Headed Monster! These were the two holdouts which I did not own in DVD in any form, relying instead on my well-worn Goodtimes VHS tapes.

GRA looks downright amazing. Being able to actually see the nighttime scenes is grin-inducing. The picture is not perfect but it is in very good shape with a very crisp black and white presentation. (I find that B&W does great on DVD as a general rule.)

Ghidorah looks down right spectacular in widescreen. The scenes on Mount Fuji towards the end look fantastic, with bright colors and clarity.

Definitely a worthy pair of pickups. Ironically I had just rewatched both of these films lately but now I am looking forward to watching their Japanese versions, neither of which I have seen before.
Check out my Japanese giant monster podcast --Earth Destruction Directive!
ljacone
Slayer

Postby Tymon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:48 am

I bought those two DVDs a couple of weeks ago, along with the five other CM releases in their box-set ($18 on Amazon for seven films). Mothra vs Godzilla and Monster Zero have the best picture/sound, and they all look pretty good overall. Buying this set allowed me to see all of these in their original Japanese format for the first time (except for Gojira and GRA which I had both seen years ago). I also got GMK and GAM around the same time.

My "to buy" list: Tokyo SOS, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, Godzilla vs the Sea Monster, Son of Godzilla, Godzilla vs Gigan, GXM, and R3 releases of The Return of Godzilla and Godzilla vs Biollante. I'm gonna hit up Crackle.com for the dubbed Heisei films (I wish Sony would sub them already), G2K and Final Wars (FW because I don't think I would care about that film enough to buy a subbed version of it). I also wouldn't mind a figure or two for nostalgia's sake, maybe a GMK or G2K one (any recommendations?).

I also bought this new Godzilla comic that was released last week, forgot the name of it though. :P
Tymon
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby ljacone » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:27 am

Tymon wrote:I bought those two DVDs a couple of weeks ago, along with the five other CM releases in their box-set ($18 on Amazon for seven films). Mothra vs Godzilla and Monster Zero have the best picture/sound, and they all look pretty good overall. Buying this set allowed me to see all of these in their original Japanese format for the first time (except for Gojira and GRA which I had both seen years ago). I also got GMK and GAM around the same time.

My "to buy" list: Tokyo SOS, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, Godzilla vs the Sea Monster, Son of Godzilla, Godzilla vs Gigan, GXM, and R3 releases of The Return of Godzilla and Godzilla vs Biollante. I'm gonna hit up Crackle.com for the dubbed Heisei films (I wish Sony would sub them already), G2K and Final Wars (FW because I don't think I would care about that film enough to buy a subbed version of it). I also wouldn't mind a figure or two for nostalgia's sake, maybe a GMK or G2K one (any recommendations?).

I also bought this new Godzilla comic that was released last week, forgot the name of it though. :P

Just getting those movies widescreen is worth the cost of admission as far as I am concerned. I grew up watching Pan and Scans on VHS and seeing the full wide format just opens the screen up and makes them look like new movies.

Monster Zero, especially the scenes on Earth, are just beautiful on that disc.

As far as toys, I like the smaller stuff because space is something of an issue. I have about 3-4 dozen of the small dioramas made by various companies in Japan, plus a few of the SD guys from Bandai. Both the G2K and GMK designs are great in the SDs if you can find them. I have the GMK one and he looks awesome, very cool.

G2K: http://cgi.ebay.com/SD-Godzilla-2000-Go ... 27b24febcb

GMK: http://cgi.ebay.com/SD-G-02-Godzilla-So ... 27b24fddfa

Here's one I have had my eye on: http://cgi.ebay.com/SD-Godzilla-84-Kaij ... 27b24fcb55
ljacone
Slayer

Postby Varan96 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:34 pm

Haha I love the old Goodtime tapes! I ordered Godzilla Raids Again right before March and I literally just ordered Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster yesterday along with Godzilla 2000 and Godzilla Tokyo SOS. Once I get those I'll officially own every G movie. GTTHM is the only Godzilla movie i've never seen is it good?
"It's going to send us back to the stone age."
Varan96
Forum Zombie

Postby Batagor » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:52 pm

Varan96 wrote:Haha I love the old Goodtime tapes! I ordered Godzilla Raids Again right before March and I literally just ordered Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster yesterday along with Godzilla 2000 and Godzilla Tokyo SOS. Once I get those I'll officially own every G movie. GTTHM is the only Godzilla movie i've never seen is it good?

Yeah, it's a good one. Aside from the "title fight", you get to a nice Godzilla vs. Rodan battle, and the main plot has some creepy gangsters involved, so it's pretty entertaining.

Oh yeah, and Baby Mothra shows her stuff as a consumate bad@$$... what intestinal fortitude! :D
"It doesn't make sense... babies can't even vote!"
Batagor
Transforumer

Postby Varan96 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:08 pm

what do you mean by "title fight"
Varan96
Forum Zombie

Postby Batagor » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:20 pm

Varan96 wrote:what do you mean by "title fight"

That is, the one with Ghidorah. By the end of the movie, I believe you will have experienced the glory of (1) Godzilla rampage, (2) Rodan rampage, (3) Godzilla vs. Rodan, (4) Ghidorah Rampage, (5) Baby Mothra vs. Ghidorah -One on One, No Holds Barred Street Fight-, and finally (6) Godzilla, Rodan, and Baby Mothra vs. Ghidorah.

They pack a lot in! ...and of course, there are the gangsters too.
"It doesn't make sense... babies can't even vote!"
Batagor
Transforumer

Postby ljacone » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:21 pm

Varan96 wrote:what do you mean by "title fight"

The titular fight between Goji, Rodan, and Mothra versus King Ghidorah.

GTTHM was my favorite of the series for a loooong time. I just rewatched it for my podcast (see my signature) and it still holds up as a great monster romp.
ljacone
Slayer

Postby Tymon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:50 pm

Ljacone - I agree that widescreen makes a huge difference, especially when it looks as crystal clear as Monster Zero. I've never been too big on SD figures, though I will admit those three look pretty cool. Now that you reminded me, I used to have a small scale Heiseizilla (4" I think?), one of the candy ones. That was one of my favorite figures, if I could find a GMK equivalent to that then I'll be a happy camper. 6" is a bit too big for my limited space as well.

Can't wait to go diving through my parents attic this week, I know I've got at least a couple old G-goodies lying around (VHS, figures, soundtracks, pretty sure I got an old GXM VCD hangin around too).
Tymon
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby GrandmasterStevo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:31 pm

Actually with the comic coming out and all, I shifted my focus to Godzilla yet again and purchased all the DVD's I didn't currently own. I got that 6-pack off Amazon too, along with I think 10 more and spent an average of $3.33 per DVD with my coupon! It's gonna be great when they finally come in. And here are some pics of my modest collection...

Got a few more in a box in the closet:)
Still eagerly waiting for the inevitable zombie apocalypse...
GrandmasterStevo
Slayer

Postby Tymon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:49 pm

Pretty sure you need to give me your big GMK Goji, like, right now. :shock: It's amaaazing...
Tymon
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Varan96 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:04 pm

man Frag you haha if your stuff goes missing in the next few days don't be surprised... :P I only have 2 godzilla models and a ghidorah rodan and king kong :/
Varan96
Forum Zombie

Postby GodzillaBanazi » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:44 pm

That's one great collection GM Steve-O.

Any one like to see mine?

I am Godzilla Banzai.
GodzillaBanazi
Red Shirt

Postby GrandmasterStevo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:45 pm

That's a West Kenji GMK Godzilla and Baragon. I was actually doing the English website for their company and the discounted model kits were a perk. Then after everything had been done except for needing a bit of info from them, they cut all ties and never responded to me again. I was doing it for free too! Later on I found out the sculptor and owner had a falling out, but they did redesign their Japanese site to copy mine...flattery blah blah blah:P

I'll try to get you guys some better pics soon. I also started painting that Mechagodzilla 2 and I have a M1 Biollante that'll be done sometime before I'm dead.
GrandmasterStevo
Slayer

Postby GrandmasterStevo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:48 pm

Muy bonito GodzillaBanzai! Makes me wanna bust out the vinyls I have! I like your variety, figs, DVD's, comics, all make for a great set-up!

Here's a better more updated shot of that main G-shelf:)
GrandmasterStevo
Slayer

Next

Return to Godzilla and the Toho Monsters