BOOKS

Random topics, one-shots, lurid stories, and off-subject banter. Have fun!

Moderators: tronprogram, Ryall, JohnBarber, CarlosG86, Sprite, Bobby Curnow, Denton J. Tipton

Postby DanielW » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:10 am

FDrowned wrote:Oh Dune was awesome! I must get round to reading it some day*

* = It was an audio book

I cannot put into words how much I love Dune. It's epic in the way Transformers should be, in the way Star Wars used to be. Sweeping in scope. Majestic in the imagery. There are ideas that are casually thrown out as background description that implies centuries of cultural development (such as the Fremen being of a Zen-Sunni background (which in the book is used to imply an accent of all things as well as a hint to their cultural mindset)).
DanielW
Transforumer

Postby hook line and sinker » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:44 am

Anyone who liked lost symbol by dan brown should check out the Secrets in Stone documentary.

Or even The Secret Architecture of our Nation's Capitol, the book from which Brown drew his inspiration.
hook line and sinker
Transforumer

Postby Kirjava » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:29 am

hook line and sinker wrote:Anyone who liked lost symbol by dan brown should get their head checked.
Fixed that for you.
Kirjava
Transforumer

Postby Sprite » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:33 am

Now now... we're all entitled to our opinions...
OK to print.
D&D/TMNT/MLP/X-Files modding, avatar tech support and shattered trousers repair.
Sprite
Transforumer

Postby Energon » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:31 am

I hope the Last Symbol is good as it is on this months reading list.

The Dune series was excellent. It helps to read the books before seeing the movies. The movies were done well also.
Energon
Forum Zombie

Postby DanielW » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:27 pm

Sprite wrote:Now now... we're all entitled to our opinions...

that's not an excuse to be so shockingly wrong though ;)
DanielW
Transforumer

Postby TheLegendaryAntiHero » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:20 pm

Kirjava wrote:
hook line and sinker wrote:Anyone who liked lost symbol by dan brown should get their head checked.
Fixed that for you.

There's no need to rag on books like the Da Vinci Code. They have a good concept but not everyone knows enough about history to understand the Da Vinci Code. In fact, some puzzles don't seem like obscure trivia at all, like when Robert Langdon figured out that apple was the orb that unlocked the map. I hope you don't say that a movie like National Treasure is bad, too. That movie had easier riddles than the Da Vinci Code.
Print me! Print me! Print me!
TheLegendaryAntiHero
Transforumer

Postby DanielW » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:55 pm

TheLegendaryAntiHero wrote:
Kirjava wrote:
Fixed that for you.

There's no need to rag on books like the Da Vinci Code. They have a good concept but not everyone knows enough about history to understand the Da Vinci Code. In fact, some puzzles don't seem like obscure trivia at all, like when Robert Langdon figured out that apple was the orb that unlocked the map. I hope you don't say that a movie like National Treasure is bad, too. That movie had easier riddles than the Da Vinci Code.

They have a very simple concept, and the puzzles are intriguing once. Furthermore, the whole cavalcade of false facts and lies treated as fact by the writer are just too hard to overlook.
DanielW
Transforumer

Postby hook line and sinker » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:34 pm

DanielW wrote:
Kirjava wrote:
Fixed that for you.

They have a very simple concept, and the puzzles are intriguing once. Furthermore, the whole cavalcade of false facts and lies treated as fact by the writer are just too hard to overlook.

AMEN. They are indeed false, Daniel.
hook line and sinker
Transforumer

Postby TheLegendaryAntiHero » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:03 am

hook line and sinker wrote:
DanielW wrote:
Kirjava wrote:
Fixed that for you.

AMEN. They are indeed false, Daniel.

When you say Daniel are you talking to DanielW or are you referring to the author? The puzzles are intriguing once but the same thing can be said about all mystery novels. It's fun to think about how a riddle can have an obvious answer and still not being able to solve it. Also, Robert Langodn said in the movie that while he believes Jesus had a bloodline, he can still imagine him being God's son, so I don't see why it's so controversial. Langdon defended his theory by saying that sex is not a disgusting act and that it is a holly ritual to create life. I think it had the opposite effect on me and made me think Jesus didn't have a child even though God had a son and it was Jesus.
Print me! Print me! Print me!
TheLegendaryAntiHero
Transforumer

Postby DanielW » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:32 am

You can't see why it's controversial to suggest that the son of God has a bloodline that continues to this day?
DanielW
Transforumer

Postby Kirjava » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:22 am

I'm ignoring all the bullcrap conspiracy theorising the book does and just focusing on the fact that Brown is, imho, simply not a very good writer. His prose is turgid, his pacing is infantile and his characters are, at best, very detailed plot devices.
Kirjava
Transforumer

Postby hook line and sinker » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:42 am

DanielW wrote:You can't see why it's controversial to suggest that the son of God has a bloodline that continues to this day?

Especially when the bloodline in the book(merovingian) is a real life bloodline of European Royalty? And Mr Brown hacked the research of Lincoln and Leigh's Holy Blood, Holy Grail, which the authors later admitted was "subtly" guided by a member of that family tree?

Yeah, it really is dangerous. Remember, the ancient Kings and Pharaohs were given power over life and death because the masses were told that they were descended from gods.
hook line and sinker
Transforumer

Postby Energon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:08 am

DanielW wrote:You can't see why it's controversial to suggest that the son of God has a bloodline that continues to this day?

Agreed. I didn't take the Davinci Code seriously. But it is a work of fiction and Brown is not a bad writer. I do not agree with his religious opinion but at least it was a book where the plot wasn't rehashed a million times.
Energon
Forum Zombie

Postby Sprite » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:14 am

I liked reading it, but it didn't leave any lasting impression on me.
OK to print.
D&D/TMNT/MLP/X-Files modding, avatar tech support and shattered trousers repair.
Sprite
Transforumer

PreviousNext

Return to Chit-Chat