Will IDW do ANY reprints of the MLJ heroes?

Discuss newly solicited books, current IDW titles, or anything else randomly related to IDW and their slate of books.

Moderators: Ryall, JohnBarber, Bobby Curnow, Denton J. Tipton, Mariah

Will IDW do ANY reprints of the MLJ heroes?

Postby captcomic83 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:08 pm

I am here to talk about a situation that is bugging me: IDW is doing a terrible job in their classic comic book reprints! I am particularly annoyed at their overabundace of crappy reprint volumes of Archie's terrible comedy comics. In fact, the few Archie humor properties that are actually GOOD are left off entirely: That Wilkin Boy, Wilbur, Super Duck The Cockeyed Wonder, Suzie, and Bippy the Hippy!

I am also annoyed at the shafting IDW gave to the MLJ heroes! With the DCU deal on these guys over, it is a golden opportunity for you to try to prepare some plans on some collections featuring these great heroes!

What do you guys think?

J.A.P.
captcomic83
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby emb021 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:46 pm

For me, I really don't care for all the Archie reprints that IDW and DH are doing. I never got into Archie. It was a comic some of my older cousins got. I've read a few, but they just didn't appeal to me. (however, I do have to admit to liking Li'l Archie, as some of the better ones had a good Little Lulu vibe, which is a series I also like. Go figure).

I have gotten many of their superheroes. While their Mighty Comics period was pretty campy, some of what they did was good.

I'd like to see a series of non-Archie reprints done.

* Archie Adventure Series stuff. Adv of Fly, Adv of Jaguar, Double Life of Pvt Strong, including the stuff from Pep & Laugh. As Joe Simon owns Fly and Pvt Strong, they'd have to deal with him.

* Mighty Comics Group stuff. Flyman, Mighty Crusaders, Mighty Comics.

* Red Circle Comics Group stuff. Red Cirlce Sorcery, Mad House, etc. Lot of stuff from Gray Morrow et al.

* second Red Circle/AAS stuff from the 80s. Stuff headed by Ric Buckler. Mighty Crusaders, Comet, Fly, Shield, Black Hood etc. We had stuff from Steranko, Ditko, Toth, etc.

please please please.
MB
emb021
Forum Zombie

Postby captcomic83 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:24 pm

emb021 wrote:For me, I really don't care for all the Archie reprints that IDW and DH are doing. I never got into Archie. It was a comic some of my older cousins got. I've read a few, but they just didn't appeal to me. (however, I do have to admit to liking Li'l Archie, as some of the better ones had a good Little Lulu vibe, which is a series I also like. Go figure).

I have gotten many of their superheroes. While their Mighty Comics period was pretty campy, some of what they did was good.

I'd like to see a series of non-Archie reprints done.

* Archie Adventure Series stuff. Adv of Fly, Adv of Jaguar, Double Life of Pvt Strong, including the stuff from Pep & Laugh. As Joe Simon owns Fly and Pvt Strong, they'd have to deal with him.

* Mighty Comics Group stuff. Flyman, Mighty Crusaders, Mighty Comics.

* Red Circle Comics Group stuff. Red Cirlce Sorcery, Mad House, etc. Lot of stuff from Gray Morrow et al.

* second Red Circle/AAS stuff from the 80s. Stuff headed by Ric Buckler. Mighty Crusaders, Comet, Fly, Shield, Black Hood etc. We had stuff from Steranko, Ditko, Toth, etc.

please please please.

One question: Will IDW include this Toth Material in their Toth series?

J.A.P.
captcomic83
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby captcomic83 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:37 pm

A 1960s version of The Shield will appear on the cover of 'Archie: Best of Dan DeCarlo' Volume 2, on sale this week!

Unfortunately, this seems to promote the terrible 'Mighty Comics' period that fans seem to hate, with Jerry Siegel writing bland stories with terrible art!

J.A.P.
captcomic83
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby captcomic83 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:32 pm

Saw the July 2011 IDW solicitations, and I am upset that they are soliciting ANOTHER crappy volume of Archie Americana!

Why can't IDW reprint spome of the MLJ heroes instead? That will garner more positive support!

J.A.P.
captcomic83
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Cyberstrike » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:49 am

captcomic83 wrote:Saw the July 2011 IDW solicitations, and I am upset that they are soliciting ANOTHER crappy volume of Archie Americana!

Why can't IDW reprint spome of the MLJ heroes instead? That will garner more positive support!

J.A.P.

The rumor (and that is what it is a RUMOR and should be taken with a grain of salt) I heard is that DC bought the rights to MLJ comics.

Fit to print, but remember this: I would rather hated for being honest than being loved as a liar.
Cyberstrike
Transforumer

Postby emb021 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:29 am

Cyberstrike wrote:
captcomic83 wrote:Saw the July 2011 IDW solicitations, and I am upset that they are soliciting ANOTHER crappy volume of Archie Americana!

J.A.P.

The rumor (and that is what it is a RUMOR and should be taken with a grain of salt) I heard is that DC bought the rights to MLJ comics.

AFAIK, that's not true.

DC had only licensed the MLJ heroes.

Considering their attempt at using them (under the "Red Circle" name) has been an abismal failure (even planned collections have been cancelled), I can't believe they would have then bought the characters.
MB
emb021
Forum Zombie

Postby zoovers » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:22 pm

I'm almost afraid to ask how "That Wilkin Boy" and "Wilbur" could be better than "Archie" when both comics used the same writers, artists, etc.

As for the superheroes, they've always had a back-seat status ever since Archie Andrews himself took over the whole line. In terms of quality, I don't know that they measure up to other superheroes or, for that matter, Archie (far from being crappy, the best Archies of the '40s through the early '60s were some of the best in the comics business). But yes, it would be nice to see them collected for the work of such artists as Fujitani, Novick, and pre-Archie Harry Lucey. (The Rosenberger stuff I can take or leave; as he proved when he moved over to the comedy comics, he was not up to the standards of Archie's best artists such as DeCarlo, Lucey, Bolling and Schwartz.)
zoovers
Private

Postby Cyberstrike » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:33 am

emb021 wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:

J.A.P.

AFAIK, that's not true.

DC had only licensed the MLJ heroes.

Considering their attempt at using them (under the "Red Circle" name) has been an abismal failure (even planned collections have been cancelled), I can't believe they would have then bought the characters.

Can't say that I'm surprised, especially considering DC's track record with other super-hero comics outside of the DCU (like Impact, Milestone, and Wildstorm) only seem to last between 2-10 years max.

Marvel's record in this department is just as bad if not worse...

Fit to print, but remember this: I would rather hated for being honest than being loved as a liar.
Cyberstrike
Transforumer

Postby captcomic83 » Wed May 18, 2011 2:45 pm

CBR has an Interview with Archie president Mike Pellerito:
http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=32394

There is a mention of the IDW reprinting, but no mention whatsover of the MLJ heroes!

When will IDW release the solicitations of their August 2011 releases?

J.A.P.
captcomic83
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby emb021 » Thu May 19, 2011 7:27 am

Read the interview.

He mentioned the "Night in the Comic Shop" story that I mentioned over in the LoAC thread, that used 30 some non-Archie characters.

One would hope this would lead to interest in and reprints of, these non-Archie characters.
MB
emb021
Forum Zombie

Postby captcomic83 » Fri May 20, 2011 6:42 pm

emb021 wrote:Read the interview.

He mentioned the "Night in the Comic Shop" story that I mentioned over in the LoAC thread, that used 30 some non-Archie characters.

One would hope this would lead to interest in and reprints of, these non-Archie characters.

I saw the August 2011 IDW solicitations, and I see another Archie collection: A 'Best of Harry Lucey' collection.

With the DC deal for the MLJ heroes over, I am hoping that there are interest in these guys!

J.A.P.
captcomic83
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby captcomic83 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:42 pm

Those IDW idiots have done it again: The September 2011 IDW solicitations have 'Archie: Best of Samm Schwartz' Volume 1!

Most of us are SICK of the endless lame teen humor reprints from this company!

WE WANT THE MLJ HEROES!

J.A.P.
captcomic83
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby emb021 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:39 am

captcomic83 wrote:
WE WANT THE MLJ HEROES!

hear, hear.
MB
emb021
Forum Zombie

Postby zoovers » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:31 am

captcomic83 wrote:Those IDW idiots have done it again: The September 2011 IDW solicitations have 'Archie: Best of Samm Schwartz' Volume 1!

Most of us are SICK of the endless lame teen humor reprints from this company!

WE WANT THE MLJ HEROES!

I think your definition of "most of us" is a bit loose. There's a reason why Archie took over MLJ, after all: their humor comics were some of the best (far superior to the competing humor work of, say, Stan Lee) while their superheroes were often better in theory than practice.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to have some MLJ heroes reprints, but there's a reason why Harry Lucey and Samm Schwartz's humor work comes first: these are some of the great humor comics, a major influence on non-superhero artists all over the world (Lucey, Schwartz and DeCarlo's influence is all over indie non-superhero comics of the last 30 years). It's hardly surprising we get first-tier teen humor comics over good second-tier superhero comics.
zoovers
Private

Next

Return to IDW Projects