Spike #6 Preview,Reviews,Reactions And Spoilers

Drop any comments about Joss Whedon's Angel, Spike or any of the related titles in this space, whether you have a soul or not.

Moderators: Ryall, Bobby Curnow, Mariah

Spike #6 Preview,Reviews,Reactions And Spoilers

Postby Buffyversefantic » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:09 pm

Preview pages for tomorrow's Spike #6 of 8.

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/ ... firsts.htm

FIRST LOOK: SPIKE #6

Spike #6 will arrive in stores on March 16 from IDW Publishing. The issue is written by Brian Lynch, with art by Stephen Mooney and a cover by Nick Runge.

Here's how IDW describes the issue:

"Megatron's plan enters its second stage as the Autobots continue to fall under attack from heavily armed humans. Elsewhere, Starscream attempts to initiate a plan of his own with an old ally. Costa and Milne aren't bringing everyone out of this issue in one piece as the Revenge of the Decepticons continues."

Spike #6 will be 32 pages and will cost $3.99.

Hopfully tomorrow,I'll finally have my copy of Illyria #4 as well.*fingers crossed*
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Double Dutchess » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:53 pm

Thanks for posting these, Buffyversefantic. Could that be Lilah in the last panel?

I hope you'll finally get Illyria #4 tomorrow, I'm sure you'll love it.
Double Dutchess
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:42 pm

Double Dutchess wrote:Thanks for posting these, Buffyversefantic. Could that be Lilah in the last panel?

Hmm

So do I. :)
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Double Dutchess » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:55 pm

Buffyversefantic wrote:
Double Dutchess wrote:Thanks for posting these, Buffyversefantic. Could that be Lilah in the last panel?

Hmm

I just visited Whedonesque and saw that I'm not the only one thinking this, so there could be something in it! Actually, at first I thought it was a man, but on closer inspection she's wearing a tight skirt.
Double Dutchess
Transforumer

Postby fluff » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:20 am

I squealed at that thought. I'd love to see her again <3
fluff
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Buffyversefantic » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:48 am

I have my copy of Spike #6 of 8(still no Illyira #4. :( ).I'm writing up dialog and details right now and will post them as soon as I finsih however some MAJOR stuff does happen in this one and wanted to mention them as soon as possbile.Again,writing up the details/dialog bits right now.

1)Yes that is Lilah in the preview page.

2)Spike/Beck shippers get their moment in this issue

3)Really scared for Jeremy now.

4)Spike loses his soul.

5)Drusilla recieves her soul.

6)The bug ship is introduced and the Twilight that is coming is hinted at.

Dialog posted in a bit and specifics.
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Double Dutchess » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:27 am

Buffyversefantic wrote:I have my copy of Spike #6 of 8(still no Illyira #4. :( ).I'm writing up dialog and details right now and will post them as soon as I finsih however some MAJOR stuff does happen in this one and wanted to mention them as soon as possbile.Again,writing up the details/dialog bits right now.

2)Spike/Beck shippers get their moment in this issue

4)Spike loses his soul.

5)Drusilla recieves her soul.

Dialog posted in a bit and specifics.

Thanks Buffyversefantic! I guess I should have tried to stay unspoiled, but it's too late now... I'll just try to keep from reading the dialogues you're going to post. (If I can restrain myself, which remains to be seen.)

My first reaction to hearing about all the soul stuff is a bit negative, I'm afraid. Spike losing his soul? That's Angel's thing, I'd prefer Spike's to stay firmly attached. And Drusilla getting her soul? Now that all Fanged Four have been souled at some point or other, the first thing that comes to mind is what Spike said to Adam: "Someone must've bought the party-pack." But I will have to postpone actual judgement until I've read the issue.

Speaking about the souls, has the "soul balance" concept finally been proved or disproved? If it's true, and Dru gets her soul back, then who is the poor person who loses his/her soul as a consequence? Or does Spike give his soul to her, or something? (I guess that would be a nice gesture, in line with Spike's "second chance" moment in the previous issue.)

PS: sorry to hear you didn't get Illyria #4 yet.
Double Dutchess
Transforumer

Postby Deborahmm » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:41 am

Double Dutchess wrote:My first reaction to hearing about all the soul stuff is a bit negative, I'm afraid. Spike losing his soul? That's Angel's thing, I'd prefer Spike's to stay firmly attached.

My first reaction is the same, except that I'm far more than 'a bit' negative. Make that very negative. It feels like all IDW have done with Spike for the last year is mess around with his soul.

I fully expect he'll get it back (he has it in Buffy season eight) but I just don't like this storyline at all. Haven't from the very start.
Last edited by Deborahmm on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aargh! 'Shippers! There goes the neighbourhood.
Deborahmm
Transforumer

Postby fluff » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:46 am

OMG o.o interesting spoilers.

Yay Lilah but also boo about Lilah

Spike losing his soul is very sad though I don't think this necessarily makes him evil. He was pretty good without a soul too.

Dru with a soul? O.O Just no. Her crazyness and cruelty made her cool.

Looking forward for more details.
fluff
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Maggie2 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:48 am

Double Dutchess wrote:Speaking about the souls, has the "soul balance" concept finally been proved or disproved? If it's true, and Dru gets her soul back, then who is the poor person who loses his/her soul as a consequence? Or does Spike give his soul to her, or something? (I guess that would be a nice gesture, in line with Spike's "second chance" moment in the previous issue.)

If I've doped it out correctly, Spike's loss of his soul frees up a soul to be restored to someone. Spike chooses Dru. So she gets her soul back, but it took him losing his for that to work.

I'm in the more than a bit negative camp about the soul. It's why I've been as hostile to IDW as I have been. This issue is not in continuity with BtVS as far as I'm concerned because Spike seems to think he was good without his soul... but season 7 was all about how much he hadn't understood because of not having a soul. It's just frustrating, and I'm sorry for the negative comment, but it is restrained! I hope that counts for something!
There's a hole in the world. Feels like we ought to have known.
Maggie2
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Double Dutchess » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:02 am

Maggie2 wrote:Spike chooses Dru.

Then a new addition to the "soul balance" thing is that people can actively choose who gets their soul? Since they are the ones who took John's soul, I assume that it's W&H who are running the soul trade. So Spike somehow negotiated this with them? (By extension, I assume this means the demon who returned Spike's soul was on the W&H payroll??)

I'm sorry for the negative comment, but it is restrained! I hope that counts for something!

I certainly appreciate it.
Double Dutchess
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:04 am

I have my copy of Spike #6 of 8(still no Illyira #4. ).Some MAJOR stuff does happen in this one.

It's like how she appeared in the episode,"Home" and how Holland Manners appeared in,"Reprise."

continuing from that.And it relates to point 6 below.W&H is leaving our plane due to something big coming.

Lilah:So this is where YOU EACH TELL ME why you deserve to move on.Because ladies,gentlemen,whatever you are with the fins,Wolfram & Hart Is moving on in ways that would blow your tiny little minds.So,print your resumes and grab your clients roster,because one at a time,you're heading into my office and you're going to argue for your existence,are we clear?

*no responses*

Lilah:Here's where you say,"yes,Miss Morgan."

the room:Yes,Miss Morgan.

2)Spike/Beck shippers get their moment in this issue.

Spike rescues Beck and George in the issue(George is still freaked from seeing Spike and Dru's past in Dru's mind and is now uncomfortable around Spike).After Spike unchains Beck,she kisses him even though she knows he doesn't feel that way about her.She just wants that one moment with him.

Spike:Find a safe place to hide,pet.This will all be over soon.

Beck pulls Spike in and locks lips with him in a big splash page image.

Dru sees this and is upset/hurt(switches from vamp face while she is protecting Jeremy to her human appearance with a hurt expression):No

Spike:Beck,I...

Beck with her arms still around Spike's neck:You don't feel that way.Just give me the moment,okay?

Spike:Thank you

Beck:Don't get soft.

Relating to the above.Spike tells Dru to protect Jeremy which she says she will.

Spike shouting:JEREMY!STAY BY HER SIDE!Drusilla,you watch them.You protect them like you'd protect me.

Dru puts on her vamp face:I will( dives into the fight)

Spike: Good girl

But then after seeing Spike and Beck kissing and being hurt,she feeds off Jeremy and encourages John to remove Spike's soul.

Willow using magic to hold the demons back:Jeremy,Spike needs us!Drusilla,go work your crazy.Save your ex.

We see Dru leaning over Jeremy who is on the ground.

Willow turns to look:Guys?

Dru is feeding on Jeremy

Willow in horror:NO!

Dru in vamp face with Jeremy's blood running down her mouth:Let it happen.Spike needs it out.

That leads us to the first of out two biggies.

4)Spike loses his soul.

John wants to remove Spike's soul.He knows removing Spike's soul won't give him back his.He just wants Spike to suffer as he is suffering.Maybe knowing Spike won't feel the same again either like him will give him the spark he's looking for.

And he succeeds.He catches Spike off guard and lays him on a pentagram and succeeds in removing Spike's soul.Except Spike believes he no longer needs a soul.He was good without one to being with.

As Spike's soul is removed

Willow:Oh.Oh.I know this.

Spike on the ground

John standing over him:How you feeling?

Spike:I....I...Empty.(reaches up to John)I was good.

John:I know.That's over.

Spike:Not what I meant.Before I fought for my soul.I fought evil.When evil was inside me.

Willow smiling

Spike continues:Before I met her...Even after I knew her...I did terrible things.

Beck looks on

Spike continues:But SHE made me want to be better.The evil was strong.Heart was stronger.(Spike stands with his soul floating next to him a a glowy ball)Before it was official.Before the goddamned voodoo.I was GOOD.That glowy ball.That thing you've had a hard-on to tear from me?Hang it on your wall.Bronze it.I don't need it.

Willow: Spike...you choose

And this leads us to our second biggie.

5)Drusilla receives her soul.

Spike looking at the glowy ball of his soul:I know,Will.Didn't you hear the speech?

Willow:No,Not figurative.Literal.You choose.John did his homework.But he didn't get an A.My point is...you lost your soul.You choose who gets theirs.

John holding Beck at sword point in a rage and shouting:GIVE IT TO ME!MAKE ME WHOLE!SPIKE,I WILL KILL HER,I SWEAR!

Beck defiantly:Take it back,Spike.He's going to kill me either way.You give it to him,it just means he'll enjoy it.

Spike thinks for a moment and then....

Spike:Give it to her.GIVE IT TO DRUSILLA.

Dru with a shocked look on her face.

John angry:NO!GODDAMN IT,NO!

The ball of light hits Dru and her soul is restored.

This is what the issue ends on.The introduction of the bug ship and the hints of Twilight which is why W&H is leaving our plane.

Lilah:Nervous?

an old man clutching a briefcase

Old man:I'm alone in a office with a dead Wolfram and Hart executive.I have an unimpressive portfolio.And the other board member....

Lilah while reading a file:The other board members were worse than you.Their client roster was pathetic,and they gave HORRIBLE interview.

we see the board room full of the dead bodies of the boards members from the beginning of the issue

Lilah continues:So we had to let them go.Besides,Mr...?

Old man:Clifton

Lilah:Besides,Mr. Clifton,your specialty is cross-dimensional communications.Alternate lifeforms.I'm sure you heard the locker room talk.Let me spell it out for you.Wolfram & Hart has done untold damage to this universe.The moment in hell.The aiding in C-level evil.We seriously screwed with the resell value.We also,AND THIS IS THE PART WE NEED TO KEEP HUSH-HUSH,have set the stage for something bigger making it's way here,All this time,we thought we were the big show.Turns out we're just the warm-up.There are big changes coming,and we're,to be blunt,not a part of it.And Mr.Clifton,This is bigger than anything we've tried before.Step one....

Lilah brings up an image on a view screen:Finding the proper exit strategy.

We see on the view screen,Spike's bug ship

To be continued

This whole bit from Lilah I find really interesting.She's obviously talking about Twilight and the events in Buffy season 8.It's interesting how it seems that all Wolfram & Harts 's actions over the years was setting the stage for Twilight but in the end they aren't the big players in it.The events with Twilight and the changes to the universe it causes,Wolfram and Hart is not a part of that and they are high tailing it out of here before Twilight hits.It seems Spike spaceship is a part of their escape plans.

As for the rest.I can't wait to see what happens next issue starting with souled Dru(and it is poetic that Spike chooses to give Dru her soul) and what happens now that Spike no longer has a soul and doesn't feel he needs it anyway anymore.

Maggie sounds right on the soul balance thing.Since Spike lost his soul,he got to choose who would get one.He cose Dru.

Oh and good point,Double Dutchess about how the fanged four have now all had their souls restored at some point.lol

PS: sorry to hear you didn't get Illyria #4 yet.

Yes,this is fustrating.They still say they'll get it in.It just isn't in yet.
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Double Dutchess » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:19 am

Thanks for posting the dialogue, Buffyversefantic. Of course I caved immediately and read it in spite of my intention to remain spoiler-free.

So I was wrong about W&H being into the soul trade. Still I don't get how this matches up with John losing his soul because Spike got his. Didn't Spike get his soul first and THEN John's was taken from him to restore the balance? So John couldn't choose who got his soul, because if he would have chosen someone other than Spike then there would still have been an imbalance. In short, "soul balance" still makes my head hurt.

As for Spike seeming to think he was good without his soul, I interpret that more as a coping strategy, not as something he truly believes. People who lose (or fail to get) something often react by telling themselves they never needed or wanted it in the first place. Very common human behaviour, that.
Double Dutchess
Transforumer

Postby Deborahmm » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:27 am

Double Dutchess wrote:As for Spike seeming to think he was good without his soul, I interpret that more as a coping strategy, not as something he truly believes. People who lose (or fail to get) something often react by telling themselves they never needed or wanted it in the first place. Very common human behaviour, that.

I'll cling to that and hope it's right. I don't remember Spike thinking he was good when he didn't have a soul. He did good things, sometimes for unselfish reasons (not telling Glory about Dawn), but he never claimed to be good. Quite the opposite, in fact. "I'm not good, but I'm all right," he said to Dawn in Tough Love, when she confessed to being afraid she was something bad.

'Course, he could be thinking about what Buffy said in Never Leave Me, when she said she saw him fight back against the evil inside, which has to mean before he got a soul. But given the circumstances around him getting a soul, I can't believe he would suddenly decide he didn't need one at all and am very puzzled that Willow appears to agree.
Aargh! 'Shippers! There goes the neighbourhood.
Deborahmm
Transforumer

Postby dorotea » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:42 am

Deborahmm wrote:
'Course, he could be thinking about what Buffy said in Never Leave Me, when she said she saw him fight back against the evil inside

I believe she meant the Firs Evil and contextually it makes much more sense.

I got the issue by the way, and I think it is a mess mythology-wise - but certainly no bigger mess than S8 or any previous issues of IDW Angel. At the very least it is fun. So, BL has played out his own flash-forwards in AtF (the one in which Spike beheads Spider - I always though it was a poetic way to show Spiike being soulless) - Spike is soulles for a while. Of course with Willow around this is not going to stick. The question is - does Willow only know how to curse with the soul or she figured out curse-less ways to stuff a soul into a vamp?
Last edited by dorotea on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
dorotea
Comic Book Guy

Next

Return to Angel