what kind of computer

Random topics, one-shots, lurid stories, and off-subject banter. Have fun!

Moderators: tronprogram, Ryall, JohnBarber, CarlosG86, Sprite, Bobby Curnow, Denton J. Tipton

Postby Soundwave » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:53 pm

FDrowned wrote:Whoa, people still defrag?

It's been almost 4 years since I last defragged. Mainly because my hard drive uses a Journaling File System.

Basically it will automatically defrag files on the fly that are under 20MB in size.
If a 10MB file is accessed and is not in one piece, the OS will automatically take the file and store it in a new location. hence no longer fragmented.

A journaling file system is a file system that keeps track of the changes that will be made in a journal (usually a circular log in a dedicated area of the file system) before committing them to the main file system. In the event of a system crash or power failure, such file systems are quicker to bring back online and less likely to become corrupted

I pulled that from Wiki... And I have to admit if I could have a self defragging files system that would be nice..

However that doesn't sound like its defragging anything to me?

please elaborate.
Everything I post is ok to print, use, copy, use for inspiration, promote world peace, change lives, etc...and so on and so on. ;)

Rumble Eject! Operation, collateral damage.
Soundwave
Transforumer

Postby FDrowned » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:57 pm

Doesn't Vista defrag itself?

More info
FDrowned
Transforumer

Postby Soundwave » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:57 pm

Everytime you install and or uninstall programs your hard drive can be come fragmented... As say when you install a game it looks for clear space to install and writes data.. it doesnt care that it split the data between other programs...

And when you uninstall you create gaps...

Both cause other programs to load more slowly...

Temp internet files do the same thing at a much slower rate though...

I still find in many computers I go service when I get the side work, most computers are hardly ever defragged.
Everything I post is ok to print, use, copy, use for inspiration, promote world peace, change lives, etc...and so on and so on. ;)

Soundwave
Transforumer

Postby Soundwave » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:03 pm

FDrowned wrote:Doesn't Vista defrag itself?

More info

Vista and Win 7 both come with disk defrag

And I use it once a month just to get that like new speed back...

Mac OS X and Linux however may be self defragging, I dont know about Mac, but my experiance with Linux is that it does not suffer from this.

Linux Ubuntu is a fantastic, FREE, Operating system in both 32 and 64 bit formats. I'm a light gamer and always need to resort to Windows..and Win 7 is awesome so far.. so I cant escape it completely...

But I may be a full Linux Ubuntu user when or If I ever lose interest in gaming... And I don't care much for dual booting anymore...

Soundwave
Transforumer

Postby FDrowned » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:24 pm

I have Windows XP and Ubuntu installed on my MacBook as virtual machines.

However, running them uses up a lot of memory. I really need to get round to upgrading the 2 GB RAM I've got.

Hard drive space has been a problem lately. However it didn't help having over 10 GB in the trash can. I had 4.75 GB of free space remaining, emptied the trash and whoosh, hello 15 GB of free space.

I think rebooting helps a lot as well. I tend to reboot once every 2 to 3 months and it often speeds things up.
FDrowned
Transforumer

Postby Soundwave » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:34 pm

FDrowned wrote:I have Windows XP and Ubuntu installed on my MacBook as virtual machines.

However, running them uses up a lot of memory. I really need to get round to upgrading the 2 GB RAM I've got.

Hard drive space has been a problem lately. However it didn't help having over 10 GB in the trash can. I had 4.75 GB of free space remaining, emptied the trash and whoosh, hello 15 GB of free space.

I think rebooting helps a lot as well. I tend to reboot once every 2 to 3 months and it often speeds things up.

WOW...I reboot every day...

Windows XP especially suffered from "leaky memory" or would simply begin to bottleneck after several suspend or sleep modes...

Win 7 is better, but its my old habit to shut down when Im not using my pc..and start fresh when I do use it...

Besides my pc goes from off to fully usable in under a minute...

Soundwave
Transforumer

Postby Soundwave » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:36 pm

And of course...the more memory you have helps all of that sleep mode and suspend stuff as well...

And what your doing Id max out my ram asap..lol

Soundwave
Transforumer

Postby FDrowned » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:43 pm

It's just ticking over at the moment. Nice and quiet

FDrowned
Transforumer

Postby Soundwave » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:47 pm

855 free of 2gb... Thats not bad....how about when running Windows Xp and Ubuntu on virtual?

Soundwave
Transforumer

Postby Soundwave » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:50 pm

I gotta get my hands on a Mac one day and learn more about them.

I have a client that has one, and I tend to fumble my way through it, as it has many similarites of Windows or Linux but I dont know the fundamentals of Mac OS, and because I cant "Custum Build" my Own Mac I have stayed away from them..

But If i could build an AMD based computer and still install Mac X Id be all over it.

Soundwave
Transforumer

Postby FDrowned » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:07 pm

Different story

FDrowned
Transforumer

Postby Soundwave » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:50 pm

LOL, sucked it right down... ha ha

Soundwave
Transforumer

Postby FDrowned » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:53 pm

Soundwave wrote:LOL, sucked it right down... ha ha
Yep. And that's AFTER I've closed Chrome and Mail and iTunes.

If I kept them open and tried to run the VM, I'm not entirely sure what would happen. A crash perhaps
FDrowned
Transforumer

Postby Soundwave » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:03 pm

Its cool that you can do that though... bump the memory up!

Do you game on it at all?

Im a Star Trek online guy, and soon to be Star Wars online... I have to have a dedicated Windows Desktop PC...

Other than that the kids use the other computers in the house and everything they do is Windows based..even some of their homework.. so I have to leave them at Win Xp... other wise they would all be Ubuntu machines...

Plus they get aggravated when I put something their not used to on the computers they use... :D

Soundwave
Transforumer

Postby FDrowned » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:09 pm

I mainly game elsewhere (Xbox 360 + iPad/iTouch)

However I haven't touch the 360 for over a year because there haven't been any good games.

Only a few years back there was Gears of War, Halo 3, Modern Warfare, BioShock, GTA IV, Orange Box etc.

With the exception of Red Dead Redemption, I can't think of any good games that came out in 2010.

For now, my attention is mainly casual games on iOS.

But I do hear Duke Nukem Forever calling my name
FDrowned
Transforumer

PreviousNext

Return to Chit-Chat