what kind of computer

Random topics, one-shots, lurid stories, and off-subject banter. Have fun!

Moderators: tronprogram, Ryall, JohnBarber, CarlosG86, Sprite, Bobby Curnow, Denton J. Tipton

Postby Soundwave » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:51 pm

the ipad is a GIANT iphone you mean! without the phone part...

and I have to admit, The ipad is going to put a serious dent in the laptop market.

Lots of people who want a laptop, but dont want to worry about the trivial stuff of maintaining and trouble shooting a pc, are going to go the way of the ipad.

Heck, it will make a perfect gift for my wife.. easy, web browsing note takeing loaded to the gills with apps...

:)
Everything I post is ok to print, use, copy, use for inspiration, promote world peace, change lives, etc...and so on and so on. ;)

Rumble Eject! Operation, collateral damage.
Soundwave
Transforumer

Postby FDrowned » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:20 am

No, the iPad is a MacBook with the keyboard ripped off

But in all seriousness, if IDW release a native app for the iPad. Then I can see at least one good use for it.
FDrowned
Transforumer

Postby Soundwave » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:53 pm

I'll wait for the price to drop and the second release with the bugs fixed if I buy one...

Cant see me getting that over a new AMD/ATI laptop...
Everything I post is ok to print, use, copy, use for inspiration, promote world peace, change lives, etc...and so on and so on. ;)

Soundwave
Transforumer

Postby FDrowned » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:10 pm

More Money than Sense

FDrowned
Transforumer

Postby TheLegendaryAntiHero » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:01 pm

I own an HP computer that can play television. I can even play my xbox 360 on it.
Print me! Print me! Print me!
TheLegendaryAntiHero
Transforumer

Postby Soundwave » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:15 am

My Current system (updated/upgraded)

AMD PHENOM Quad Core 2.2ghz
6 gb DDR2
750gb Hard Drive
Radeon HD 5770 1gb Gddr5 Pcie
Asus Motherboard
Mid tower ATX Case with 550watt power supply
DVD/RW (Blue ray coming soon)
My 3dmark 06 score:11155 3DMarks

http://clients.futuremark.com/systembuilder/ this is a great way to find out how much money youll need to build the pc of your dreams/needs....

Soundwave
Transforumer

Postby Energon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:43 am

My system has more firepower than the Death Star. lol
Energon
Forum Zombie

Postby Soundwave » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:49 pm

Thinking of bumping my Phenom 1 2.2 ghz up to a Phenom II 2.8 ghz the extra 4mbs of cache will help as well... and for 99.00 will ensure my desktop lasts, well into next year at least possibly longer...

Then this whole 6 core fusion cpu madness will suck me in provided I can afford it.. but a 6 Core APU, with a new Radeon chipset integrated into the same die as the cpu cores... with direct access to the DDR 3 just sounds sweet...

And I dont care what Intels got... I wont spend 1000.00 on a single cpu for a few seconds of speed or a few extra frame rates... that I wouldn't even notice without benchmark programs anyways...

Soundwave
Transforumer

Postby Energon » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:26 am

I think that it matters as to what you are using your computer for to determine what you need to put in it.

I just use mine for photoshop.
Energon
Forum Zombie

Postby Soundwave » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:06 pm

Thats true...very true

Soundwave
Transforumer

Postby TheLegendaryAntiHero » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:33 am

Soundwave wrote:My Current system (updated/upgraded)

6 gb DDR2
750gb Hard Drive
Asus Motherboard

http://clients.futuremark.com/systembuilder/ this is a great way to find out how much money youll need to build the pc of your dreams/needs....

Damn all your fancy wordage. I dunno if your computer is faster than mine or not. All I know is that my computer suck when it comes to high bandwidth sties like facebook.
Print me! Print me! Print me!
TheLegendaryAntiHero
Transforumer

Postby Soundwave » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:29 am

TheLegendaryAntiHero wrote:
Soundwave wrote:My Current system (updated/upgraded)

6 gb DDR2
750gb Hard Drive
Asus Motherboard

Damn all your fancy wordage. I dunno if your computer is faster than mine or not. All I know is that my computer suck when it comes to high bandwidth sties like facebook.

That depends more on your Internet connection and less with your computer... however the more memory you have the quicker things will go...

As long as your running a 1ghz, pc with 1gig of ram Win Xp or Win 7..and on DSL or Better... Facebook should move very easy..

Now if there server is overrun, well theres not much of anything that can be done about that... or if your ISP Provider is having issues with their servers you will experience some lag...

Im on Broadband 12mb per second for my Internet connection.

If your on Dial Up... well that would explain all your facebook problems.

Also facebook, myspace users, etc... keep your antiviruse and spyware software up to date to keep the little bugs from crawling into your hard drive and eating up your bandwidth.

Soundwave
Transforumer

Postby Soundwave » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:37 am

Oh and defrag your PC at least once a month...to keep it running like new..

You would not believe how many people throw out or take their pc to get repaired and pay 100.00 or more when all they had to do was use disk defrag.

If you have a fragged hard drive and surfing the web seems like crawling on your 4 core 3.4 ghz beast..and some guy with a 800mhz single core Via C-3 is smoking along from site to site... its because he keeps a clean and organized hard drive...

Trust me...Ive done enough PC repair home jobs, and when I check their computers and find nothing wrong with them..I automatically set their computer to defrag, and I tell them to call me when its done...(which could take hours) I then only take a 25.00 service fee... for making me drive out their.. I'm too honest for my own good sometimes... lol

And if you have less than 2 gig of Hard Drive space... and things are locking up...your out of swap file memory... that will also slow things down..as well as cause your pc to just stop working.. buy a external drive and take those movies and large Jpegs off...lol

Soundwave
Transforumer

Postby Soundwave » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:44 am

And Don t throw away your computer with the Hard Drive in it...

You are handing somebody your identity....

Pull the hard drive out, then throw away the computer..if it does not work...

If it works, use your restore disk to restore it to its factory defaults and donate it to a school or shelter.

Even putting a bullet or several bullets through a hard drive, wont keep a true identity thief with extreme computer knowledge out of your old files...

You wouldnt believe what they can do with a drowned, shot and burned Hard Drive...

The data is stored magnetically... so you better use a pretty powerful magnet to destroy the data... ( Like the ones they have at a auto junk yard )

Soundwave
Transforumer

Postby FDrowned » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:55 pm

Whoa, people still defrag?

It's been almost 4 years since I last defragged. Mainly because my hard drive uses a Journaling File System.

Basically it will automatically defrag files on the fly that are under 20MB in size.
If a 10MB file is accessed and is not in one piece, the OS will automatically take the file and store it in a new location. hence no longer fragmented.
FDrowned
Transforumer

PreviousNext

Return to Chit-Chat