IDW May 2011 Solicitations.

Drop any comments about Joss Whedon's Angel, Spike or any of the related titles in this space, whether you have a soul or not.

Moderators: Ryall, Bobby Curnow, Mariah

IDW May 2011 Solicitations.

Postby Buffyversefantic » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:07 am

IDW May 2011 solicitations.This is probably our last solicitations. :cry:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/idw-may ... 11218.html

Angel Yearbook

Brian Lynch, Peter David, Scott Tipton, Jeff Mariotte, more (w) • Urru, Runge, Mooney, Casagrande, Frison, more (a) • Jenny Frison, David Messina (c)

IDW’s final farewell to the Angelverse is full of the creators who have been telling stories about the vampire with a soul from the very beginning. Each tale will be a farewell from the writers and artists who have known him best.

FC• 48 pages • $ 7.99 • ISBN: 978-1-60010-961-4
*2 regular covers will be shipped in a 1-to-1 ratio.

Bullet points:

•Features the final new stories from the Angelverse!
•Stories by fan-favorite creators from throughout IDW’s run, including Brian Lych, Jeff Mariotte, Peter David, Scott Tipton, David Messina, and more!

Spike #8 (of 8 )

Brian Lynch (w) • Franco Urru (a) • Urru, Nick Runge (c)

IDW’s last Spike issue! Tears! Terror! Will Spike be able to put his demons to rest (figuratively and literally), or will this final challenge be “the end” of our favorite vampire, poet, lover, and friend? Hint: It won’t.

FC • 32 pages • $3.99
*2 regular covers will be shipped in a 1-to-1 ratio.

Bullet points:

•Artist Franco Urru reunites with his longtime Spike/Angel partner Brian Lynch for this final send-off!

Angel: Illyria: Haunted

Scott Tipton & Mariah Huehner (w) • Elena Casgrande (a) • Jenny Frison (c)

Ancient. Alien. Illyria. Resurrected into the body of Fred Burkle (and burning all that she was in the process), Illyria remains one of the most mysterious creatures in the Angel-verse. But when she seeks out answers to her existence, she must make her way back to the Deeper Well, and confront her own demons, old and new.

TPB • FC • $17.99 • 104 Pages • ISBN: 978-1-60010-933-1

Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby fluff » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:25 pm

*squeals at the Illyria TPB* Definitely a reason to look forward to May coming faster.

Any chance all 44 issues of Angel ever get collected in one volume? I know AtF is already but having all of them together would be nice.
fluff
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Veiriti » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:59 pm

Wow!!! Thank you, Buffyversefantic! :) Spike's cover is awesome!!! Urru at last!!!! And the Bugs are coming!!!! :lol: I can't wait for these comics.
And I'm curious what will happen with the rest of Spike's team... oh, I really wanted Spike to get his own tittle, not mini-series only... and I'm even not sure that he will get mini-series over Dark Horse... :(
Spike - "Love like that makes you stronger than anything... you CAN SAVE THE WORLD WITH A LOVE LIKE THAT."
Veiriti
Transforumer

Postby Jean-Vic » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:05 pm

Veiriti wrote:Wow!!! Thank you, Buffyversefantic! :) Spike's cover is awesome!!! Urru at last!!!! And the Bugs are coming!!!! :lol: I can't wait for these comics.
And I'm curious what will happen with the rest of Spike's team... oh, I really wanted Spike to get his own tittle, not mini-series only... and I'm even not sure that he will get mini-series over Dark Horse... :(

He's probably going to be more needed supporting Buffy over at DH. Wouldn't you rather that, than Spike alone on his own series?
I'm so glad I'm an Asshole!
Jean-Vic
Transforumer

Postby Veiriti » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:44 pm

Jean-Vic wrote:
Veiriti wrote:Wow!!! Thank you, Buffyversefantic! :) Spike's cover is awesome!!! Urru at last!!!! And the Bugs are coming!!!! :lol: I can't wait for these comics.

He's probably going to be more needed supporting Buffy over at DH. Wouldn't you rather that, than Spike alone on his own series?

I don't know, Jean-Vic... You know I'm a big Spuffy fan, but you've seen what's happened with Angel in Buffy's comics... so I'm afraid for Spike on Buffy S9... I rather prefer Spike alone in his own series than to being sacrificed on the Buffy's altar as they did with Angel... Ehh, I'd love to see Spike with the woman who he loves, but as you know Joss is not about the romantic love stories... Joss loves to bring a lot of pain... :?
And I'm not sure that the Spike's role on season 9 would be big... he probably would pop along from time to time with his ship, but I have a feeling that the main story would be focused mainly at Buffy and the Scoobie gang. I love Buffy and Willow, but I can't say the same for Dawn and Xander... :evil:
Spike - "Love like that makes you stronger than anything... you CAN SAVE THE WORLD WITH A LOVE LIKE THAT."
Veiriti
Transforumer

Postby Jean-Vic » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:30 pm

Veiriti wrote:I don't know, Jean-Vic... You know I'm a big Spuffy fan, but you've seen what's happened with Angel in Buffy's comics... so I'm afraid for Spike on Buffy S9... I rather prefer Spike alone in his own series than to being sacrificed on the Buffy's altar as they did with Angel... Ehh, I'd love to see Spike with the woman who he loves, but as you know Joss is not about the romantic love stories... Joss loves to bring a lot of pain... :?
And I'm not sure that the Spike's role on season 9 would be big... he probably would pop along from time to time with his ship, but I have a feeling that the main story would be focused mainly at Buffy and the Scoobie gang. I love Buffy and Willow, but I can't say the same for Dawn and Xander... :evil:

I don't think you need to worry about Spike getting ruined like Angel. They tried something with Angel, fell back on a plot point unnatural for the character. As was said in the video game, Alan Wake, in stories, characters develop a life of their own. They develop and change and for the story to work that needs to be honoured, otherwise it is untrue to what the character is, and the story dies. I think we can safely say S 8 died, leading to DH and Joss realising their error and apologising. Now, they want to fix the mistakes with Angel. They seem to be going above and beyond. If that is so, I don't see them making mistakes with Spike. I think DH and Joss know their limits, what the stories will allow, what the fans will accept. Spike is safe, I feel.

However, that said, like Angel, I don't think the writers know what to do with Spike. I mean, yes, on TV Joss was exec producer, but look at his supporting team. They worked on Buffy and Angel year in and year out. If Joss didn't know what to do one of them would pick it up. If what I have heard is true, Marti Noxon was the driving force behind the Spike evolution during Seasons 4-7. Not Joss. Now, though, you have Joss who maybe doesn't know his characters as well as he once did, for the simple reason that he is nowhere near as involved as he once was because of other projects, but also the reigns fall to brands new writers from a comic company who seem to have a very spurious knowledge of the verse. I mean, Scott Allie saying in an interview that the most important thing in Angel's life is Buffy is just plain wrong and shows an ignorance of character development. I think this lack of knowledge led to some mistakes in Season 8, which was very much virgin territory for the series. I still ask why Spike was part of Season 8. He had no role. He wasn't needed. It was just an appearance for appearance sake to pay lip service to the fans. There was no purpose. Just shock factor. A desperate attempt at grabbing "ratings" if you will, but it failed. Even Spike's use was criticised.

All that said, I think DH and Joss have been forced to take a long hard look at themselves. The fans have told them exactly what they think, and now efforts will be made to fix it. I suppose you could say that DH and Joss are Buffy/Angel while the fans are Spike/Cordelia kicking them into shape with a take no crap attitude. :wink: Angel has his own series now and great efforts will be made with him. Spike, I think, will be relegated to a support role because it's not clear what to do with him. That's my opinion, anyway.
I'm so glad I'm an Asshole!
Jean-Vic
Transforumer

Postby dorotea » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:14 pm

To be honest, I don't think Joss gives a rats ass about the fans shipping preferences. And not all of the fandom is that much into Spike ( or Cordelia) either. So I don't think we should expect any change of course from Joss and DH made purely to please the fandom shippers. They might change the format of the series or the scope, but I don't believe that Joss would change his plans or vision of the characters feelings just because fans are 'kicking them into shape'. Joss would do as he pleases - whether it pleases fandom or not.
dorotea
Comic Book Guy

Return to Angel