Angel #40: Reviews,Reactions,Spoilers.

Drop any comments about Joss Whedon's Angel, Spike or any of the related titles in this space, whether you have a soul or not.

Moderators: Ryall, Bobby Curnow, Mariah

Angel #40: Reviews,Reactions,Spoilers.

Postby Buffyversefantic » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:00 am

Preview Pages for tomorrow's Angel #40.

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/ ... firsts.htm

IDW PUBLISHING FIRST LOOKS

FIRST LOOK: ANGEL #40

Angel #40 will arrive in stores on Dec. 15 from IDW Publishing. The issue is written by David Tischman and Mariah Huehner, with art by Elena Casagrande and covers by Jenny Frison and Casagrande.

Here's how IDW describes the issue:

"Zapped…elsewhere, Angel discovers an old nemesis with a common foe, as James continues to turn L.A. into his own private demon farm. Can the enemy of his enemy be his friend, or is Angel about to get major league betrayed?"

Angel #40 will be 32 pages and will cost $3.99.

Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby sueworld » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:01 am

Oh dear. I'm not too impressed with the art. A bit too 'Scooby Doo' looking for my tastes.

I do love the Wolfram and Hart cover though.
"They talk about me in the chatty rooms?" - Angel.
sueworld
Transforumer

Postby itsame » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:15 am

Thanks for the preview info!

Wow, is that cartoony looking! I wouldn't really mind it so much if it wasn't such a drastic change from the entire rest of the series. Day-um, though, that's different!
itsame
Slayer

Postby Double Dutchess » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:16 am

The art isn't my cup of tea either. (I haven't had time to actually read the preview pages yet, so can't comment on the story.) I hope that Elena Casagrande will at least stay on the Illyria mini. I'm not very happy with all these artist changes we're having at the moment.
Double Dutchess
Transforumer

Postby Jean-Vic » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:40 pm

angeliclestat wrote:Can I ask why artists are always taken off the main Angel title to work on the spinoffs?

It happened when Urru went to do the Spike:AtF, and now Casagrande is doing the Illyria mini when she should be concentrating on the main title.

It's not good enough.

This art is way too Disney for the title.Why couldn't an artist be found that at least was similar to what Casagrande does /if there had to be a change?!

Very poor.

Angel isn't the main IDW series, I'm afraid to say. Spike is IDW's number 1 series and that's why they had the best writer and artist. Simple really. As bad as I feel for IDW losing this licence, I'm glad that Angel will be a major franchise again over at DH. Angel will be co-equal with Buffy again, as a series, and it's how it should be, not Angel relegated to a title of less importance. I could be wrong, but the evidence points to the contrary.

Art isn't always a major thing for me. I don't like this art, but I'll still buy the series. I'll just be reminded of Hey Arnold on every page. :wink:
I'm so glad I'm an Asshole!
Jean-Vic
Transforumer

Postby Vampire in Rug » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:10 pm

While I wouldn't say this artwork is "bad" per se... I don't think this cartoony look suits the serious and gritty tone of Angel.

And I completely agree. In an ongoing comic series like this, I think consistency in style is important. I agree with angeliclestat that it was a mistake to take Urru off the main Angel title to do Spike:ATF. The Spike book was great, but the main Angel title really suffered for it. Seems like the same thing is happening again. I'm sure the Illyria series will be awesome, but I think it should be a secondary priority to the main title.

Also, as for continuity... I was worried that this would happen... everyone is referring to James as a demon. Up until this point we aren't really sure what he is but if Aftermath was any indication, he should not be a demon. He carried around a sword that demons couldn't touch. It was able to repel the semi-corporeal demons hanging around the hospital, it burnt Angel when he held it and it burned the balancing demon who snatched the sword to impale himself. Whatever James is, he should not be demonic. Otherwise the sword needs some different explanation or a retcon spelled out in the text. I'd also like to know what was up with those other Potentates and Cordelia. We all suffered through "Aftermath" so it would be nice if the story would address some of this stuff rather than sweeping it under the rug and contradicting large chunks of it. I'm guessing we also won't find out what happened to Dez's sister. I'm fine with that, I think we can just assume that the gang never found her in time before her humanity faded away. But I feel that the stuff with James like his background do need addressing.

Another continuity error was Angel saying that he's never been to the future before. He has. Ignoring the episode "Time Bomb" which in fact centered around Angel being transported through time, Illlyria has time-slipped him into the distant future at least twice. The first time he was an old man and was surprised to see Illyria's face again. The second time he was transported to the moments where he caused the destruction of humanity, thereby fulfilling the shanshu prophecy. Whether these events are set in stone remains to be seen, but the fact is, he has been transported to the future before. I know I'm nitpicking here, but little errors like this jump out at me.

Kate gets mentioned but doesn't appear in the preview. I hope she hasn't been written out of the story. I'm hoping that when Conner refers to the "four of us" he's including Kate instead of Mr. Polyphemus. I still really don't like that floating rock.

I don't want to sound overly negative here, because on the whole I've been enjoying IDW's Angel series. I guess this preview has made me a little nervous especially seeing as how it's going to be the last of Angel from IDW. But I'll reserve my opinion until I've read the whole thing. Ultimately it's going to be the story that makes or breaks this for me more than the artwork.

I did like the giant statue of Holland Manners. That was a nice nod to continuity and makes the future seem kind of epic and different. I'd also like to know if it was Darrow that delivered the W&H card to Conner after Angel left. It was a black guy, but we didn't get enough detail to know if it was supposed to be the same guy. I think it would be cool if it was.
Vampire in Rug
Forum Zombie

Postby Vampire in Rug » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:29 pm

Look at Gunn, Connor, Angel - sorry, no offence but they look like pieces of crap...

I don't know why, but reading this line made me LOL in real life. :lol: I could imagine Anya saying that line. I know we didn't get off to a good start, but you've grown on me somewhat Veiriti.

I don't think this artwork is necessarily the "worst" we've seen from the Angel title... I feel that some of Nick Runge's rushed artwork in ATF was pretty bad (even though the guy is clearly a talented artist). I think the main problem with this art is that it doesn't suit the style of Angel... at least not in this chapter of the story which should be epic and serious.

Remember that Buffy issue that was based on the animated series teaser? Buffy fell asleep on Xander's bed and when she opened her eyes she was back in season one and the art was all cartooney? That type of artwork was great for that issue because it was a lighthearted story that was supposed to be fun and simple. But I don't think that same style of artwork would have been good for the rest of the series. I think that this style of artwork would have been fine for say, the "Boys and Their Toys" storyline. But I would think that at this point in the story we should be at a more serious, grounded place.

Jean-Vic I disagree about IDW not taking the Angel title as seriously as the Spike title. For one, I think the number of issues speak for themselves.
Vampire in Rug
Forum Zombie

Postby Jean-Vic » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:33 pm

I do wonder if the vision W&H showed Angel was actually what we're seeing now. How do we know Angel killed all those people? Perhaps he fights James in a field of bodies. Perhaps by helping W&H stop James he is fulfilling the prophecy.
Jean-Vic
Transforumer

Postby Vampire in Rug » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:14 pm

Perhaps that's possible... but in "After the Fall" the narration described Angel as euphoric from all the blood from the people. The narration also implies that he was pretty pleased with all the destruction around him. If it turns out that Angel saved the world by battling it out with James in a field of bodies then that would contradict Angel's narration. Unless James somehow puts him under a temporary thrall or something? And Angel was experiencing the thrall when he flashed forward?

Also, the whole point of having Illyria show Angel that future in ATF (if I interpreted the scene correctly) was so that he would stop fighting Illyria and just let her erase time and space. She was showing him a horrible future that didn't have to happen if she could end existence and suffering there and then.

Also, the fact that he's still a vampire in Buffy: Season 8 would imply that the shanshu hasn't happened yet. Admittedly though, he's only been called a vampire in dialogue, he hasn't actually vamped out on the page. Then again, as Twilight he presumably doesn't need to feed.
Vampire in Rug
Forum Zombie

Postby Jean-Vic » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:41 pm

Vampire in Rug wrote:Perhaps that's possible... but in "After the Fall" the narration described Angel as euphoric from all the blood from the people. The narration also implies that he was pretty pleased with all the destruction around him. If it turns out that Angel saved the world by battling it out with James in a field of bodies then that would contradict Angel's narration. Unless James somehow puts him under a temporary thrall or something? And Angel was experiencing the thrall when he flashed forward?

Also, the whole point of having Illyria show Angel that future in ATF (if I interpreted the scene correctly) was so that he would stop fighting Illyria and just let her erase time and space. She was showing him a horrible future that didn't have to happen if she could end existence and suffering there and then.

Also, the fact that he's still a vampire in Buffy: Season 8 would imply that the shanshu hasn't happened yet. Admittedly though, he's only been called a vampire in dialogue, he hasn't actually vamped out on the page. Then again, as Twilight he presumably doesn't need to feed.

Does the Shanshu even apply any more? I just don't see were there is possibility for him to become human.

Reading what you said about ATF I would agree that you're right. I haven't read it in a while and don't remember Angel's narraton. Thanks for pointing that out. Unless his euphoria to the blood was a natural vampire reaction, considering that in actual time he had been human for months. Unlikely, though.
Jean-Vic
Transforumer

Postby angeliclestat » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:13 pm

Vampire in Rug wrote:

The top panel of page (I think) 16 of #39 -just before he kills you know who- he is drawn as having fangs and looks to be in vamp face. Continuity mistake?

It would be v interesting if the shanshu has happened and Angel is now human.I doubt it though.
angeliclestat
Transforumer

Postby resa53 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:06 pm

angeliclestat wrote:Can I ask why artists are always taken off the main Angel title to work on the spinoffs?

This art is way too Disney for the title.Why couldn't an artist be found that at least was similar to what Casagrande does /if there had to be a change?!

Very poor.

Good question ... always seems like Angel gets the leftovers. And hey, no need to insult Disney :wink: I think their art is great ... I could barely identify the characters here and only knew it was Gunn because he was black. And what's with the pointy ears ... elfs or Vulcans???
resa53
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby itsame » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:43 am

Anybody have their copy yet? I'm hoping to pick mine up during lunch. Will report once I get to read it.
itsame
Slayer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:56 am

itsame wrote:Anybody have their copy yet? I'm hoping to pick mine up during lunch. Will report once I get to read it.

I'll have my copy after 2pm but I might not be able to post much about it until later tonight.Tied up most of the afternoon.
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:29 pm

I have my copy now but like I said I don't have much time to get into any details.Here are a couple points though.

1)I agree the art is jarring for Angel although it does sort of work for me in the future setting.

2)The future setting is very Sci Fi hence the art working somewhat for me in these parts.

3)Looks like Angel is going to make another deal with Wolfram and Hart but under his terms this time.

3)In the present day,we catch up with Anne who is rescued by Gunn,Connor,Laura and Poly.

4)They learn about Angel's car accident and being missing from Kate.

5)Connor has a big blowup at Gunn towards the end of the issue.

6)Issue ends in the future and a mystrious figure(Angel seems to recognize the scent) indicating that Angel keeps making the wrong move by confronting W&H and they have to make sure he does not forget that.
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Next

Return to Angel