ANGEL #36: Reviews, Reactions, Spoilers.

Drop any comments about Joss Whedon's Angel, Spike or any of the related titles in this space, whether you have a soul or not.

Moderators: Ryall, Bobby Curnow, Mariah

Postby Veiriti » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:25 am

Nice preview! Thanks for posting the link, Anca! Love the art and Spike sounds here almost like himself, but I'm still worried about his "soul problem"... :(
And I have no patience for the IDW November editions! :D
Spike - "Love like that makes you stronger than anything... you CAN SAVE THE WORLD WITH A LOVE LIKE THAT."
Veiriti
Transforumer

Postby pshand05 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:44 pm

With Mariah and Tischman working on the scripts, this was excellent. Hilarious, epic, sad, just great. Best since "After the Fall" days, by far.

References to past-Buffy and Angel episodes abound, and Angel is... so, so very in character. Everyone is. Wonderful.

The dialogue, the "this conversation would be way more interesting and cryptic," all the crazy basement refs, Angel wondering why they never get fluffy demons who shower them with love, Dez dying, Illyria's perfect reaction...

I believe in IDW.
pshand05
Transforumer

Postby Double Dutchess » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:57 pm

Sounds good; I think I'll be making a trip to my comic shop tomorrow!
Double Dutchess
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:00 pm

Buffyfest has reviews up for the Riley One_Shot and Angel #36.Here's the Angel #36 section.

http://buffyfest.blogspot.com/2010/08/r ... nt=Twitter

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Riley One-Shot and Angel #36 Review (SPOILERS)

It's Wednesday (or "Hump Day" if you're an office dweller) and, for those of us who are nerd with the most capital of "N's", it is thought of first and foremost as "New Comic Book Day". For those keeping score, there are two comics for Whedon fans to get their filthy paws on and I've got both of them. I'll be talking about them in detail so, if you're feeling the fear of knowing before you know, then scatter yourselves to the wind. If not, then seek onward, Whedon solider, seek onward.

Angel #36

Even though it's been meant to be kept under wraps, there is no denying that there's a gradual changing of hands on who is writing this book. Open the cover and plain as day it reads "Additional Scripting: David Tischman and Mariah Huenher". There's a lot I could say about that but, to be brief and fair, I think of this as the first issue of David and Mariah's story even though the story they penned on their own doesn't begin for a little while yet.

Let's talk about the issue in hand, though. We last left off with the revelation that Spike (apparently) is soul free in '93 and this issue picks up right from there. The whole affair is very fast-paced so there's not a ton of time to deal with Spike's current status other than for him to defend himself and for everyone to silently agree that they've got bigger fish to fry. That fish, by the way, is the soul eater who is one nasty little bugger. Most of the issue is dedicated to fighting her and, ultimately, (and this is a huge spoiler) she kills Dez before Angel finally finishes her off himself. Connor gets pulled out of the action to help the Sisterhood of the "sexy demons what wear armor" brigade, and James decides to pay a visit to a long lost character, Anne. It's all a big setup for a full on demon attack coming, presumably, in the next issue.

So! Lots to talk about here. The reason I made such a fuss about the scripting is that it's clear (at least to me) that this is a very different book with new and more capable people writing the dialogue. Is it perfect? No. I still think Illyria is a little more... colloquial than she ought to be but it's not easy to figure out where she fits or who she is now, if we're being totally fair. Laura gets a lot of page time which is great for me (I like her) but frustrating for those who want more time with the characters from the show and less with the newbies. Angel is very Angel, though and, while I'm sure not all will agree, Spike has sounded more like himself than he has in nearly a year. The action clips along at a solid pace and Elena is very good at expressing motion form panel to panel. If I might ask, though? What the hell is the soul eater wearing? Is she from the 90's? DO NOT WANT. Thank goodness she's dead.

Remember that thing I said about Dark Horse getting all mea culpa with the fandom? Well consider this to be part two of that particular tune. Spike standing up for himself, Angel taking action, Dez biting the bullet... all these things were done to get the show back on the proverbial road. Connor is off dealing with his destiny, who knows where Kate is, and the Bill Williams' side story just got a guest appearance from two vamps wot have the souls. The chickens are coming home to roost, fully roasted and it's clear that the folks at IDW are looking to get the more opinionated fans back on board before the next arc begins, the Spike comic starts, and Illyria gets a book of her own. It's several steps in the right direction but Rome can't be built in a day. It's nice to see we're getting to the goods and getting our focus back on the folks that matter. In short: the title of this issue should have been "Angel: Let's Ge tthe Show Back On the Fraggin' Road". If this is what Mariah and David have in mind, then I think IDW is going to finish out 2010 with a bang.
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Double Dutchess » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:06 pm

Thanks! Having read this, I'll definitely be making that trip.
Double Dutchess
Transforumer

Postby fender_love » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:20 pm

I am ultimately a pessimist, so I take everything with cynicism and sarcasm, but it's nice to know that things might be getting back on track.
fender_love
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Vampire in Rug » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:36 pm

Can't wait to read this.

Although I really wish I wasn't spoiled as to Dez's death. I know this is a spoiler thread, so I've only got myself to blame. I was checking this thread periodically because I wanted to see the preview. Maybe next time the first person to get their hands on the issue can put *SPOILERS* and a large gap before they discuss the issue? I'm not whingeing, like I said, it was my own fault I got spoiled. But it does make life difficult when the previews get released so close to the issue being discussed.

I'm glad things are looking up in this issue. I'm guessing the plotline with Dez's sister won't be touched upon again? With Dez killed and James a villain, it seems really apparent that the writers are trying to clean their hands of Aftermath without outright declaring it out of continuity. I wonder if we'll hear anymore about the Potentates that are killing future-criminals. I still think it needs to be addressed how James was able to fool Cordy and the other Potentates.
Vampire in Rug
Forum Zombie

Postby Buffyversefantic » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:09 pm

With the big Angel going back to Dark Horse news and what the hell is going on there,I hadn't had a chance to post my thought's on today's new Buffyverse comics..

Angel #36

Great issue although we don't get any new info on how and why Spike lost his soul.Just that his recent behavior was due to it and Spike does feel off.

Bill Willingham wrote the issue but the new creative team of Angel editor Mariah Huehner & David Tischman coming in on Angel #39 fully,helped script this issue.And I do think it shows.I've like Willingham's run particularly the plot but I think Mariah and David have the voices/dialog better down in this issue.

They subdue the soul sucker as shown in the preview pages and then Laura has Angel slit Illyira's throat and mix her blood with water in a tub an put the soul sucker in it to weaken her even more.In effect starve the soul sucker who hasn't fed in a while.Burn off the last of the soul she has taken.

Here' the dialog from the Spike soul lossage stuff from later in the issue.

Spike:All right,than.Baddie dispatched.Now it's time for you to help me.I want this "missing" soul business figured out.NOW.

Angel:Let's say we believe you.And you did NOT lose your soul.

Spike:I. Did.Not.Lose.It.We've all seen what happens to YOU and I'm fine.Maybe a little...off my game lately.But fine.

Angel:According to Connor,not that fine.He said you've been acting strangely and made some comments about that vampire you killed before coming to get me.Comments that suggested you knew her....Intimately.That doesn't sound like "Good" Spike to me.

Spike:I...Well...I mean...maybe?I did sort of...I don't know what came over me.It's all kind of a blur.I went there so we could question her and then....I remember blood,and not much else.Not in any detail.

Angel:Blood?That's not good.The last thing we need is the crazy-in-the-basement Spike returning.

Spike:Unlikely.For one thing,this conversation would be a lot more interesting and cryptic.For another,Laura and I had a thing when Illyria's hormones went weird and it felt kind of the same way.Off.Anyway,someone would of noticed something if I was really all head messed again.Right?

Angel:You and Laura?

Laura:Don't even think about using that tone.Not with what we all know went on in your room.

Angel:Okay,fine.But I haven't been around.And you're always annoying to me,Spike.

Spike:Thanks ever so.Look,there's poetically crazy,ranty Spike annoying,and then there's just me.They are not even remotely similar so you couldn't mistake one for the...

Dez looking in the bathtub:Hey guys,we have a problem.

And that's when Dez is killed by the soulsucker.

Before it escapes,Angel manages to kill it.Every body realizes that the soulsucker was sent by James.

There is also funny moment with Angel and Polyphemus.

Also Connor runs off to his Warrior ladies while all this is going down after he gets a call from them.

The issue ends James setting up shop in Anne's youth center and open a demon portal.

The Eddie Hope back up was good.We don't find out who Eddie's phone caller was but we do get Angel and Spike coming to Gunn's rescue.Spike introduces Angel to Eddie(this is set after the Spike:The Devil You Know miniseries).
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby raith » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:10 pm

What a hectic day for us Angel fans today huh? I'm going to begin by saying that I loved this issue. I can tell by the references to Buffy eps that this was definitely co-written by Mariah and David (other than reading it on the credits page :)). I know Dez was very much hated, even though I kinda liked her, she should've had at least a heroic death. Like pushing Angel out of the way so the soul eater wouldn't get to him. Anyways, it was great to see Anne again. That was a pleasant surprise. Judging by what James had done at the end, things are surrmounting to an epic climax. The Eddie Hope story was great as well. Now we see how things are being brought together with the characters. I sincerely hope this Angel/Dark Horse/IDW situation will be resolved soon. Clearly, I do NOT want anything affecting the quality IDW has accomplished with the Angel series since this issue hit it right-outta-the-park!
raith
Slayer

Postby Spacediva70 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:17 pm

I wonder if the souleater not starving to death after all had anything to do with Illyria's blood. Maybe there is a little of a soul in her somewhere.

Anyways, I loved this issue. Still don't know why Spike doesn't have a soul yet but I liked the reaction he had to the news. I also found it curious that he seemed to have black-out somethings. I wonder with all the odd stuff that has been going on such as growing new limbs has anything to do with it. He made mention of all the blood as so maybe he was taken over by some sort of strange blood lust.

I had mentioned in another post that one of my favorite scenes from the show was that one with Anne and Gunn in the final episode so I was really happy to see her again. Although I am a bit worried about her...
Spacediva70
Slayer

Postby Veiriti » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:30 am

Oh, I loved the dialog between Spike and Angel, thanks to bringing it up, that about Spike's soul sounds very intrigue. These blackouts in Spike's minds reminds me to Buffy Season 7 when Spike's soul has been possessed by the First Evil!
And I'm seeing Spike's speech is very improved here, thanks to Mariah, I suppose! :D
And I love the art - now I'm going to pre-order the TPB! :D
p.s. I forgot to mention about the art - it's AWESOME!!! IDW rules!!! :lol:
Spike - "Love like that makes you stronger than anything... you CAN SAVE THE WORLD WITH A LOVE LIKE THAT."
Veiriti
Transforumer

Postby Double Dutchess » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:27 am

Those blackouts sound really convenient from a "how can we make Spike less responsible for his own actions" point of view... The whole Angel/Spike dialogue, kindly transcribed by Buffyversefantic (thanks!) seems to be specifically written to appease the worried fans. I think the Buffyfest review was right on the mark with the "mea culpa part two" thing. I'm not complaining, mind you. I would have preferred it not to have been necessary in the first place, but I'm happy we are getting this.
Double Dutchess
Transforumer

Postby angeliclestat » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:53 am

Absolutely excellent issue-this felt like an Angel episode.

It was tense, exciting, funny, sad and shocking.I have said it before and I will say it again- not every issue can be like this as you need the set up issues as well- but God it's great when issues like this come along and bring everything to a head and bring the pain and angst.

If Angel goes to dh then I think with Mariah and David at the helm the series will end with it's head held high and showing what makes it great.
angeliclestat
Transforumer

Postby Spacediva70 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:52 am

The more I think about it the more I wonder if Spike's seeming to not have a soul is something like Buffy from season 6 when Spike was able to hurt her without his chip setting off. It wasn't that she didn't have a soul but just a side effect of her coming back to life. Maybe Spike seeming as if he did not have a soul to the souleater was more of a side effect from how his soul was restored and the other odd behavior and feeling out of sorts is something else entirely. Maybe James has something to do with it.
Spacediva70
Slayer

Postby Allycat » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:32 pm

This story is definitely back on track. I accidentally got myself spoiled, so I knew Dez was going down; I felt a little sorry for her; she was just standing there in a few panels, and I knew the only reason for that was to have her killed.

I gotta say that I still don't trust Laura completely. She was so quick to realise how to deal with this Soul Eater, even though apparently there are multiple types of demons that can do such a thing. I couldn't help but wondering, maybe she was in on it? Especially, since the trick didn't work.
Allycat
Slayer

PreviousNext

Return to Angel