The Sales Thread

Yo, Joe! The base of operations for your comments is open and ready for your transmissions.

Moderators: JohnBarber, CarlosG86, Bobby Curnow, Mariah, shanecdavis

Postby Jim » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:30 am

The Diamond numbers don't include sales outside of the US either. Transformers is very popular here in the UK (GI Joe not as much sadly), so the numbers shown are far from accurate for overall sales.

Plus there are Trade sales which if high enough make it worth having a lower selling monthly book.
If I ever say anything interesting then it's Ok to print.
Jim
Transforumer

Postby ER » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:36 am

Jim, thanks for the info! Are there UK numbers available somewhere that you could post for us? It would be interesting to see.
ER
Transforumer

Postby Jim » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:48 am

Sadly I don't think that info is made public, if it is I've never seen it. I know certain chains (like Forbidden Planet) have their own "top 10", but I've never seen anything official released from Diamond UK.

As well as US imports, a lot of Europe (and probably the rest of the world) also create localised reprints.

For example, here in the UK Panini publish Marvel reprints which are about 18 months or so behind the actual US books (Secret Invasion is just starting), these are mass distributed to newsagents. Transformers also has a comic with UK exclusive stories (based in the movie-verse) and back ups that reprint the IDW stuff. So money from licensing the strips already printed in the US could contribute to "healthy" sales, which would keep Hasbro happy.

So, I can either go to the local comic shop and buy the exact same comics you guys in the US do, I can go to the newsagents and buy a reprint that's a year or so behind or I can go to the bookshop and buy a collection of comics. That's 3 ways that IDW, Marvel, DC etc can get my money that is never taken into account with the Diamond US charts.
Jim
Transforumer

Postby ER » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:36 pm

Jim, that's cool that you can get issues from a year and a half earlier in case you miss something the first time around - nice

Here's IDW's top 10 sellers in USA comic shops for March 2010:

1) Angel #31 (18,538 copies sold)
2) G.I. Joe #15 (13,607)
3) G.I. Joe #16 (13,288)
4) The Transformers #5 (11,994)
5) G.I. Joe: Origins #13 (11,043)

6) G.I. Joe: Cobra II #3 (10,562)
7) Angel Special Lorne (10,110)
8 G.I. Joe: Operation Hiss #2 (8,818)
9) TF: Nefarious #1 (8,810)
10) TF: Bumblebee #4 (8,601)
ER
Transforumer

Postby ER » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:43 pm

And I forgot to mention for the TF fans; Last Stand of the Wreckers #3 sold 7,855 copies which is over 2,000 copies more than what #2 did in February - a very impressive jump in sales!
ER
Transforumer

Postby Jim » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:32 am

ER wrote:Jim, that's cool that you can get issues from a year and a half earlier in case you miss something the first time around - nice

The UK reprints are actually a bit different, for the price of one standard US comic you get 3 comic reprinted with a card-stock cover. So, for example, the Spider-Man comic reprints Amazing Spidey and maybe an issue of another Spidey ongoing plus a mini series, or when it gets to a crossover or long story it will print 3 consecutive chapters.

Never buy them myself as I like to get the "proper" US stuff, but they are great value and from what I understand they sell very well. No idea how much Marvel would get from these (or how much IDW would get from the UK Transformers comic), but I'm guessing to some extent that these would go some way to help balance things out of sales of something are a little lower in the US.
Jim
Transforumer

Postby jamarmiller » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:35 am

so sales for GI JOE are about the same as DDP's sales was then ( maybe a little lower infact )
THE ULTIMATE INTERNATIONAL SITE FOR FANS OF ACTION FORCE ( UK GI JOE), THE RED SHADOWS, and ACTION MAN
www.bloodforthebaron.com
Personal page at http://www.myspace.com/jamarandrewmiller
jamarmiller
Forum Zombie

Postby Jim » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:19 am

jamarmiller wrote:so sales for GI JOE are about the same as DDP's sales was then ( maybe a little lower infact )

Maybe more, because I have never seen a DDP trade anywhere in England, but all the local book shops that stock "graphic novels" have some IDW Joe stuff. IDW seem to have better bookstore distribution.
Jim
Transforumer

Postby jamarmiller » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:32 am

Jim wrote:
jamarmiller wrote:so sales for GI JOE are about the same as DDP's sales was then ( maybe a little lower infact )

Maybe more, because I have never seen a DDP trade anywhere in England, but all the local book shops that stock "graphic novels" have some IDW Joe stuff. IDW seem to have better bookstore distribution.

maybe so, maybe not. I would see DDP stuff occasionally in Japan but I dont see any IDW stuff at all here
THE ULTIMATE INTERNATIONAL SITE FOR FANS OF ACTION FORCE ( UK GI JOE), THE RED SHADOWS, and ACTION MAN
www.bloodforthebaron.com
jamarmiller
Forum Zombie

Postby shanecdavis » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:25 am

I don't think you can compare sales between IDW and DDP. DDP cancelled series after series due to fledging sales. IDW, on the other hand, started with one ongoing title and two series, and are now giving Joe fans FOUR ongoing titles and a few more series.
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby Jim » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:30 am

IDWs other titles are in a far healthier state than DDPs were as well.
Jim
Transforumer

Postby jamarmiller » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:00 pm

shanecdavis wrote:I don't think you can compare sales between IDW and DDP. DDP cancelled series after series due to fledging sales. IDW, on the other hand, started with one ongoing title and two series, and are now giving Joe fans FOUR ongoing titles and a few more series.

what ? why not? thats a crock. As for cancelling series? not really due to any lower sales than IDW has on its TF books and GI JOE books

Storm Shadow was cancelled due to HASBRO demands, it has sales in the 13000 range

Joe Reloaded had sales in the end , in the TF wreckers Range as did Sigma Six

Special missions, declassified had healthy numbers too if we are to use the IDW sales numbers as a measure.

the sales numbers were/are about the same , in fact sometimes higher at DDP. ( Im not knocking IDW here just pointing out things )

Jim wrote:IDWs other titles are in a far healthier state than DDPs were as well.

Definately right, good point......................if we were talking about the whole company, right now I was only talking about the JOE comics sales numbers being the same. DDP is basically gone now because they lost GI JOE, IDW could Lose GI JOE and still be a very healthy company. But again not talking about the company, just the Numbers on GI JOE
www.bloodforthebaron.com
jamarmiller
Forum Zombie

Postby shanecdavis » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:15 pm

Like I said, you cannot compare those numbers. They are in no way accurate, and the actual numbers are, as said by the editor, privileged information.

There is no way the numbers can be truly similar if DDP cancelled their ARAH run due to sales while IDW is providing top notch talent and adding additional titles. As it has been said, Diamond is only a slice of total sales. It is pretty obvious to me that Joe is pretty profitable for IDW, much more profitable than it was for DDP.
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby jamarmiller » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:20 pm

shanecdavis wrote:Like I said, you cannot compare those numbers. They are in no way accurate, and the actual numbers are, as said by the editor, privileged information.

There is no way the numbers can be truly similar if DDP cancelled their ARAH run due to sales while IDW is providing top notch talent and adding additional titles. As it has been said, Diamond is only a slice of total sales. It is pretty obvious to me that Joe is pretty profitable for IDW, much more profitable than it was for DDP.

LOL whatever makes your happy dude., the numbers by diamond are the same bottom line ( in fact one might argue higher at DDP )

people will try to justify whatever they want to , to each their own I guess.
www.bloodforthebaron.com
jamarmiller
Forum Zombie

Postby Jim » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:15 am

jamarmiller wrote:Definately right, good point......................if we were talking about the whole company, right now I was only talking about the JOE comics sales numbers being the same. DDP is basically gone now because they lost GI JOE, IDW could Lose GI JOE and still be a very healthy company. But again not talking about the company, just the Numbers on GI JOE

My point being that even if Joe sales were lagging, other sales can help keep the Joe brand alive if need be.

jamarmiller wrote: people will try to justify whatever they want to , to each their own I guess.

It's not justification, it's the truth. The sales figures you see are US only and don't take into account overseas sales or trade sales in bookstores. If IDW are happy with the numbers then that's all that matters. It seems that you are just trying to "justify" your dislike of the new comic by constantly hammering on about the sales figures compared to DDPs sales figures. We know you don't like the book, get over it and go find something you do like and spread the word about that.
Jim
Transforumer

PreviousNext

Return to G.I. Joe