STAR TREK - Official Movie Thread

Trekkies, Trekkers, Trek-newbies, or just fans of "Free Enterprise," are all welcome here.

Moderators: Ryall, Bobby Curnow, Mariah

Postby Viceroy » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:46 pm

Interesting! I hope Star Trek XII will involve Adm. Chris Pike again, and even, God willing, Adm. Jonathan Archer.
As ST XI implies that only the events in Star Trek Enterprise and (presumably) The original TV pilot The Cage are now considered Canon, it'll be interesting to see how the alternate reality pans out. I wouldn't be surprised if either Q or The Guardian of Forever or Enterprise's Future Man eventually ties all the threads together.
An interesting post on the Borg.Technically its doable due to the events in the Enterprise episode Regeneration where the Borg vessel destroyed by Capt. Archer sent a message to the Delta Quadrant.
I hope to see other Trek characters like Number 1, Robert April and maybe Gary Mitchell appear.
In any event, the reaction to Star Trek XI shows that the original classic series still has magic and appeal.
I hope further films focus on them.
"Let us renew our faith and our hope. We have every right to dream heroic dreams!"
-President Ronald W. Reagan
"That's how an author should talk! How manly!"
-Michelle Cheung, R.O.D. The TV
Viceroy
Transforumer

Postby Liebkraft » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:39 pm

I totally agree with you... with the new timeline, nearly everthing seems possible and a Cameo of the ENT-Crew or a reimagined EV-Crew would be cool.
'Play with friends, be a Hero!'
www.halle-der-helden.at (we do RPG)
Liebkraft
Forum Zombie

Postby Duo Maxwell » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:24 pm

Viceroy wrote:As ST XI implies that only the events in Star Trek Enterprise and (presumably) The original TV pilot The Cage are now considered Canon, it'll be interesting to see how the alternate reality pans out.

The Cage can't be considered canon in the Abrams-verse as The Enterprise was a new ship in the events of the movie and Pike's command of the ship was very short lived. While it is possible similar events happened, it would likely have been significantly different than how The Cage played out.

Even Enterprise, as we know it, is debatable as a number of events were influenced by the Next Generation era. It's like what was shown in the TNG episode "Tapestry," you pull one thread and the whole damn thing changes.
The preceding post is OK to print.
Duo Maxwell
Transforumer

Postby Ro-Dan » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:17 am

In just one week, STAR TREK hits blu-ray/DVD! I've already started to see television commercials for its release. 8)
Ro-Dan
Transforumer

Postby Duo Maxwell » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:42 pm

I'm really looking forward to it. I was going to see it on IMAX before the CN IMAX theatre in Vancouver closed for good, but circumstances beyond my control negated that.

Now it's just the long wait for Star Trek XII.
Duo Maxwell
Transforumer

Postby Liebkraft » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:55 pm

yeah, but STO will come out in early February next year, so that should sweeten the waiting a bit :D (and maybe the new book 'The Art of the Film too)
Liebkraft
Forum Zombie

Postby Viceroy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:36 pm

Well, while we await Star trek XI on DVD/Blu Ray (I hope its loaded with extras), here are the reasons I think STXI was a blockbuster :
1)The anticipation factor: as it was 7 years since Star Trek Nemesis, the fans -like the Star Wars fans awaiting Episode I- really got excited at the notion of a new Star Trek film.
2) The return to the classic era: the original series remains my fave version then DS9 & Enterprise, and as Star Trek began under the James T. Kirk era, it sure made sense that a return to that time period was the best. I think that as popular as ST TNG was, audiences prefer a captain & crew that was more pro active and decisive in dealing with a crisis, as opposed to having a coffee table conference stalling the action.
3)Mr.Abrams had real Trek fans writing the script. Both Messrs. Kurtzman and Orci showed their respect for the franchise in that at their core, Kirk & Spock were true to what the fans know of them in terms of personality and character.
4)The crew all had substantial roles. Nobody was shortchanged; everyone from Uhura to Scotty had their moments to shine.
5)Trek XI proved that integrating the TV/Movie series and the novels can work well -provided that the writer shows respect for what is being adapted. Elements such as the name of Jim Kirk's mom (Winona), the Enterprise ejecting its anti matter pods to escape the black hole (from Prime Directive) was incorporated well into the movie that if you weren't aware of the novels, it wll make sense to you, but if you've read the novels it will mean more to you.
6)Star Trek XI had heart. This was missing in GI Joe The Rise of Cobra. In Star Trek, there were scenes that got to the core of Kirk (his talk with Chris Pike at the bar where Pike cleverly appealed to both his pride and the fact that Jim can't ignore a challenge: "Your father commanded a Starship for 12 minutes. He saved 800 lives-including yours. I dare you to do better.") Then there was that scene at the "Principal's Office" between Spock & Sarek :("You will always be the child of 2 worlds. What destiny you choose will depend on you.") And there's the scene where Sarek tells Spock -after he relinquished command to Krk -"You asked me once why I married your mother. I married her because I love her."
7)We got to see Chris Pike's command style: I liked the way Bruce Greenwood portrayed Pike. He was a cross between Capt. Robert April (who helped talk sense into Jim Kirk in the novel Prime Directive), Jonathan Archer ( he can have relaxed command style and be serious) and Jeff Hunter's take on Pike (who was dead serious. He can almost be a model for Jean-Luc Picard, except that Jean Luc was tempered by having a father figure side).
8 ) Eric Bana's Capt. Nero was easier to like than Tom Hardy's Shinzon: I liked Star Trek Nemesis, but Shinzon just doesn't have the same identification factors as a character as Nero. Nero doen't even sound as haughty. And his obsession for his wife echoes both Dr. Soran in Generations as well as Dr. Annorax in ST; Voyager. He's so obssessed with restoring his planet that it eventually becomes his only goal. And I liked the nid to ST II when he interrogates Pike.
9)We saw the infamous Kobayashi Maru. I'm glad this was done because Harve Bennett's planned Starfleet Academy never made accomodations for it. This helps reveal more of Kirk's character.
10) I really liked the scene where we see Kirk assume command of the Enterprise. And every station reports in (Sulu: "Helm & navigation standing by.") ; (Chekov: Weapons and Shields online); (Uhura: Communications online)' Scotty (Dilithium chambers at maximum) Like it or not, Starfleet does have military traditions. it just seemed right.
11) I liked it that we got a glimpse into how good the crew was from Sulu's fencing skills to Chekov's navigation ( he planned the ambush at Saturn) and weapons expertise (the phaser salvos that intercepted the Romulan Torpedo volleys set against Spock) to Uhura's ear for languages.
And GI Joe's Rachel Nichols was her Orion roomate. If I recall correctly, Capt Archer's Enterprise had several Orions brought into custody after the episode Bound.

As for discrepencies from Classic Trek, I agree that Capt. Pike should've inquired after Mr. Tyler -not Mr. McKenna at the helm, and Dr. McCoy-on reporting to Spock - should've referred to Dr. Boyce as KIA. Still, maybe this was just to establish that ST XI really was set in alternate reality.
As for the Enterprise as a new flagship; that's not so certain. Perhaps Pike meant Enterprise as the flagship for his own task force as the main fleet (under Jonathan Archer, hopefully) was engaged in the Lorential System. Granted this is speculation.

Another way to resolve the alternate reality would be to involve Enterprise's Lt. Daniels- who revealed himself as a time traveller to Capt. Archer- or, as a long shot, Benjamin Sisko-who became a Prophet who have control over time and space.

Its too bad they didn't integrate the novels into the films sooner. Why? Just imagine how Star Trek Nemesis would've fared if, in additon to the 2 Romulan Warbirds under Donatra that assisted the Enterprise against the Scimitar, Capt. Mackenzie Calhoun's USS Excalibur had been on hand. Let's ee how good you really are, 'Preator!" :twisted:
"Let us renew our faith and our hope. We have every right to dream heroic dreams!"
Viceroy
Transforumer

Postby Liebkraft » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:12 am

I agree with you that the Written Canon should be made Canon too... but for some it would be much to read then, even I as a heavy reader of ST have difficulties to keep uo from time to time...nevertheless it would be good to see that IDW and Pocket Books finally join forces along with STO...as far as I've seen they just took waht they needed from the books and then fabricated their own story... :evil:
Liebkraft
Forum Zombie

Postby Denyer » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:27 am

Ro-Dan wrote:
Duo Maxwell wrote:
The only remaining element of the original is elder-Spock, who is stranded in the alternate timeline as any attempt to return to the future would place him in the future of that timeline instead of his own.
Exactly! I've heard people ask why Spock didn't go back to his future. The answer, just as you stated, is that the future he knew is no longer.

I love the fact that Nimoy's Spock is in the current timeline. He's been a part of Star Trek since the very beginning. In a way, he's the viewer's companion through the worlds of Star Trek. At least that's how I see it.

I don't think it's so much that the future he knew no longer exists, more that he can't get to it and is prepared to make the best of the situation.

Really enjoyed the film.
Denyer
Transforumer

Postby Liebkraft » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:00 am

I think this pic here http://www.startrekonline.com/startrek_xi explains the whole timelining pretty good. Spock would be able to go back in time and end up in the ENT-era but if he tried to go forward again I'd be stuck again in the Reboot universe instead of the prime one.

Funny thing that this whole theory of diverging timelines can be found long before ST XI in a german RPG called 'Midgard'. There the so-called 'Space-time-theorem of Scopa Vigalad' exists and kind of explains the whole thing. According to it the time tends ot 'heal' itself and therefore the newly created timeline will 'drift apart' from the old one creating a new universe, in our case the Reboot one. The only thing keeping the two from completely separating are the persons that kind of created it, meaning Nero and Spock. As long as they exist in both universes the universes stick together, but as soon as both versions of these persons exist within on the universes/timelines will separated. And that was exactly what happened when Nero and Spock crossed over.
Liebkraft
Forum Zombie

Postby Duo Maxwell » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Viceroy wrote:As for the Enterprise as a new flagship; that's not so certain. Perhaps Pike meant Enterprise as the flagship for his own task force as the main fleet (under Jonathan Archer, hopefully) was engaged in the Lorential System. Granted this is speculation.

It's actually explicitly mentioned within the dialogue by Captain Pike that the Enterprise is, indeed, embarking on it's maiden voyage. Then, when he puts Spock in command before taking the shuttle to the Narada, he tells Spock to take care of the ship, because "she's brand new."
Duo Maxwell
Transforumer

Postby Viceroy » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:08 pm

Thanks, Duo!
Nice idea for Spock to go the era of Enterprise. I like it. If nothing else, it'll really say that, yes, Jonathan Archer and his crew are legitimate elements of the Trek verse.
One thing though...what if Spock does visit the time of Jonathan Archer's Enterprise, and then we learn the events that led to Romulus's extinction was all part of renewed hostilities in all new Temporal Cold War?
Viceroy
Transforumer

Postby Liebkraft » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:04 pm

maybe it could be explored who the Future Guy actually is...
Liebkraft
Forum Zombie

Postby Duo Maxwell » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:39 pm

Liebkraft wrote:maybe it could be explored who the Future Guy actually is...

It would be wild if it turned out to be Biff Tannen.
Duo Maxwell
Transforumer

Postby Viceroy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:19 pm

Liebkraft wrote:maybe it could be explored who the Future Guy actually is...

That would be nice. At first I thought it might've been Q from the Next Generation, but from what Daniels told Archer in Cold Front, the Future Man cannot physically manifest in the current (22nd Century) time period, which is why he needs Silik and his boys to do the dirty work.
Q , essentially a Cosmic Entity , has no such limits.

Oh, yes, I hope Star Trek XII re introduces us to Janice Rand as well. It would've been nice had Kirk had a Yeoman throughout the entire Classic Trek run. Oddly , Capt. Picard never had one on his Enterprise. (neither do Mackenzie Calhoun or William Riker)

As for Khan in the alternate continuity, it just may work as in Star Trek Enterprise, Dr. Soong told his Augments that Khan's Botany Bay was lost in space. The events in ST XI do not necessarily preclude a revised version of Space Seed to happen.
Viceroy
Transforumer

PreviousNext

Return to Star Trek