kwinn the eskimo and scarface

Yo, Joe! The base of operations for your comments is open and ready for your transmissions.

Moderators: JohnBarber, CarlosG86, Bobby Curnow, Mariah, shanecdavis

kwinn the eskimo and scarface

Postby cashel » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:33 pm

any word on if we'll get a revamped version of either of these dead characters? ghost bear would be fun,as well. i'd like to see some of the 2002-up characters make an appearance, such as the already mentioned son of kwinn and wraith... and trakker!!!
Join the revolution. Support "IMAGINARY DRUGS" and "BLANK WALLS". SEE WHAT LIES BEYOND SUPERHEROES! FEED YOUR BRAIN!
cashel
Transforumer

Re: kwinn the eskimo and scarface

Postby The Rev » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:47 am

cashel wrote:any word on if we'll get a revamped version of either of these dead characters? ghost bear would be fun,as well. i'd like to see some of the 2002-up characters make an appearance, such as the already mentioned son of kwinn and wraith... and trakker!!!

Man I'm loving this thread ... to see Kwinn grace the pages of GI Joe again would just be .... (sounding like a geeked out 12 year old) AWESOME!!!!

Oh and lets not forget about Dr. Venom ... he was always more sinister than Dr. Mindbender.

Maybe Bongo the Bear too (sounds of tires squeeling) :? .... OK maybe that's going too far.

But Kwinn ... Kwinn is an absolute must!!!
The Rev
Transforumer

Postby ironblood » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:46 am

I can't see Kwinn being written as good as he was by Larry Hama they would need to have a good use for him rather than revamp the whole paranoia ray in the terrordrome storyline again. Wraith would be cool a lot of people want IDW to take on the Red Shadows I myself use the figure with my Red Shadows and as Artur Kulik.
ironblood
Forum Zombie

Postby CrazyK » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:37 am

I remember the excitement of first seeing a Kwinn figure in his comic three pack a few years ago. I worked at Target at the time and got to explain to my fellow team members why it was important. An extrememly popular character that we had to wait nearly two decades for. I'm hoping Hasbro doesn't wait another twenty years to give us an updated Kwinn in the 25th Ann design. The Snake-Eyes in cold weather gear was a great opportunity to release a Kwinn as well.

Does the Cobra Officer in the comic two pack with the Siege not supposedx to represent Scareface? At least in some regard? He had the yellow harness and I swear he had a scar on the correct side of the face. Maybe just an homage?

Can you imagine the excitement surrounding a Dr. Venom figure? I mentioned it to the marketing director of Hasbro's GI Joe line at last year's SDCC Preview Night. Of course the balance exists between the collectors and new or relatively new buyers of the franchise. So the good Dr was not really considered. But, I HAVE to imagine he would have sold better than a pilot Scarlett. Or, apparently, a disguised Flint. Those peg warmers have kept the two local Targets from being able to order the "troop building" Cobra cases.

Hoping we'll see some Venom as a surprise in the Hasbro booth this year. But know it'll be all about the movie.

Dammit.
CrazyK
Transforumer

Postby ironblood » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:01 am

CrazyK wrote:I remember the excitement of first seeing a Kwinn figure in his comic three pack a few years ago. I worked at Target at the time and got to explain to my fellow team members why it was important. An extrememly popular character that we had to wait nearly two decades for. I'm hoping Hasbro doesn't wait another twenty years to give us an updated Kwinn in the 25th Ann design. The Snake-Eyes in cold weather gear was a great opportunity to release a Kwinn as well.

Does the Cobra Officer in the comic two pack with the Siege not supposedx to represent Scareface? At least in some regard? He had the yellow harness and I swear he had a scar on the correct side of the face. Maybe just an homage?

Can you imagine the excitement surrounding a Dr. Venom figure? I mentioned it to the marketing director of Hasbro's GI Joe line at last year's SDCC Preview Night. Of course the balance exists between the collectors and new or relatively new buyers of the franchise. So the good Dr was not really considered. But, I HAVE to imagine he would have sold better than a pilot Scarlett. Or, apparently, a disguised Flint. Those peg warmers have kept the two local Targets from being able to order the "troop building" Cobra cases.

Hoping we'll see some Venom as a surprise in the Hasbro booth this year. But know it'll be all about the movie.

Dammit.

I have both figures Scar Face is referred to as the Scar Faced Officer but it definitely is him
ironblood
Forum Zombie

Postby The Rev » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:07 pm

CrazyK wrote:Can you imagine the excitement surrounding a Dr. Venom figure? I HAVE to imagine he would have sold better than a pilot Scarlett. Or, apparently, a disguised Flint. Those peg warmers have kept the two local Targets from being able to order the "troop building" Cobra cases.

I have to agee with you on both accounts concerning Hasbro's "blue Joes" and Dr. Venom.

The Scarlett and Flint figures have been the bane of many a store. They have been hangin' around so long at my local Walmart that I'm tempted to buy the damn things myself just to bring in some new figs! What the heck was going through the Hasbro brain trust when they decided on those figs.

"Lets see guys ... classic Scarlett and Flint sells ... but they've been done before ... oooh oooh I got it ... lets redesign them so they are barely recognizable, paint them blue and hit a chord with practically ... nobody ... All here that would like to carry this major flop forward say I"

"...."

"Good ... its a go."
:P

But a Dr. Venom fig, I'd almost camp in the aisle just to nab one.
Seriously ... that guy was pure bad ass!

In the immortal words of Captian Jean-Luc Picard ...
Make It So!
The Rev
Transforumer

Postby CrazyK » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:52 pm

This is why I miss being the toys lead at Target. Used to be able to "zero" out the numbers and it would force the automated ordering system to get in new stuff. The holiday season I was in charge, my store was the only one that had ANYTHING worth buying!! 8)

If I remember right, the few of us at the Hasbro booth at SD last year that got to talk to the Marketing Director, Flying Scarlett was a bit of a "huh?" to him, as well. I understand the idea of rehashing established popular characters instead of *gasp* new figures, but can't there be a theme? If you're going to give me Artic Snake Eyes, and you feel there HAS to be yet another Duke and Scarlett and Roadblock and Flint, give me all of them in artic gear, too. If Scarlett is going to be a pilot or aviator, give me Airman Flint (he was a rotory wing pilot, too) - even if there isn't a current Joe aircraft available with a second seat!

It would be akin to the large figure packs Entertainment Earth offered, but would be available in a single carded form. Would make sense to me, anyway...
CrazyK
Transforumer

Postby Antarctica » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:11 am

I loved the Kwinn character like every did.

But I personally think he should be an exclusive member of the old continuity.

This time around the extra non-Joe characters need to be new. Otherwise, we are still just rehashing the old.

But a cool twist would be revamp the look of a character like Airborne to look similar to Kwinn, but it is still a Joe.
Antarctica
Transforumer

Postby shanecdavis » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:16 am

I agree with you in principle, but Kwinn and Venom are my two exceptions. We only got those two for no more than 19 issues. We had to suffer through Dr. Brain-Wave for HUNDREDS of issues, not to mention that for the entirety of the DDP run, it wasn't even the real guy! If there is one Dr. I definitely don't want showing up in the pages of IDW, it is Mindbender. Let's keep that bad incarnation out in the pasture where it can do more good.
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby cashel » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:53 pm

dr venom would be great. he was easily one of my early faves of cobra. next to scarface, of course. slimey dudes that would stab you in the back as soon as you turned. and kwinn needs more time in the spotlight. i aslo wouldn't mind seeing an update of arbco. but that's a thread of its own.
Join the revolution. Support "IMAGINARY DRUGS" and "BLANK WALLS". SEE WHAT LIES BEYOND SUPERHEROES! FEED YOUR BRAIN!
cashel
Transforumer

Postby Ro-Dan » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:04 pm

Dr. Venom is THE MAN. I mean, the dude looks like Peter Cushing. How cool is that? 8)
Ro-Dan
Transforumer

Postby Jay West » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:17 pm

Dr. Venom is supposed to be made by the Official GI Joe Collectors CLub. I think they announced him at the last Joe Con, but there has been no updates since. They were going to make a 3.75 Adventure Team line and tie it to the Real American Hero continuity by having Dr. Venom be the enemy - so it would be a sort of prequal to the RAH toyline. Hopefully there will be an update at this years Joe Con.

Any reason why Venom, Kwinn and Scarface can't turn up pre-Cobra in Larry's book? That would be sweet.
Jay West
Comic Book Guy

Postby Ro-Dan » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:48 pm

Using the head of a Grand Moff Tarkin Star Wars figure, Dr. Venom should be a pretty easy custom for fans to build.
Ro-Dan
Transforumer

Postby Rockshield » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:51 am

Jay West wrote:Dr. Venom is supposed to be made by the Official GI Joe Collectors CLub. I think they announced him at the last Joe Con, but there has been no updates since. They were going to make a 3.75 Adventure Team line and tie it to the Real American Hero continuity by having Dr. Venom be the enemy - so it would be a sort of prequal to the RAH toyline.

That is exactly the case.. and we were supposed to get an update a long while back.. but things with the club move slow. I am wondering if they are scrapping the project altogether now that they are producing 25th anniv style figures.

CrazyK wrote:Does the Cobra Officer in the comic two pack with the Siege not supposedx to represent Scareface? At least in some regard? He had the yellow harness and I swear he had a scar on the correct side of the face. Maybe just an homage?

Yes. This question was asked directly to Hasbro by the JOhio G.I. Joe Collectors Club (The Ohio Division of the official club) and the Q and A went like this:

JOhio.com wrote:Question #3 Although we all loved getting a "Scarface" figure, can you explain why the comic included in his set was placed during a timer period where he was already dead, and not during the period before he died; or is this character supposed to be just a scarred trooper and not the actual "ScarFace" that appeared in the early Marvel run?

Hasbro:The original plan was to do ScarFace, but the story that Larry came up with was after he had died in the continuity. We have challenged our fans to try and come up with their own explanation and let us know what you think the "story behind the story" is for the return of ScarFace.

Original Source URL: http://johio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=416
Rockshield
Slayer

Return to G.I. Joe