G.I. Joe Cobra #3 Feedback

Yo, Joe! The base of operations for your comments is open and ready for your transmissions.

Moderators: JohnBarber, CarlosG86, Bobby Curnow, Mariah, shanecdavis

G.I. Joe Cobra #3 Feedback

Postby Werecat » Wed May 13, 2009 11:25 am

My thread has spoilers, so if you haven't read it, you may not want to read this yet.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

It was a good issue---until Chuckles murders Jinx. That was very disappointing, and it reminded me of the cheap kills Devil’s Due would throw to shake things up when good writing was substituted for mindless “surprise” drama. The tragic thing here, was, there was plenty of good writing to begin with, that we didn’t need such a cliched, 24 inspired plot twist.

In my opinion, all that was, was lame shock value to make the story more important. Yeah, I get it. It was a device to make the sacrifice that much more “meaningful”, and to show exactly what Chuckles has to do. But it was cheap and arguably unnecessary. A new character could have been created as Chuckle’s handler and the impact would have been just a poignant, and we already know Chuckles has killed numerous innocents in the pursuit to maintain his cover, so that’s been established. But now we start seeing ‘Joes getting killed again. Just when we got them all back from the reboot. At least Josh Blaylock waited more than a year before he started his killing.

I'll continue to buy this because I want to see how it ends, but I have to admit Jinx’s death has taken a lot of the enthusiasm out of the read, and I have to question the credibility and legitimacy of Costa and Gage when they have to start offing characters in their freshmen run on a 'Joe story. I’ll concede they accomplished what they wanted by getting this reaction from me, so kudos on that. But at the same time, it seems as if this death was also a narrative crutch when we’re only a few months into the new continuity and established characters are already starting to die...
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Werecat
Forum Zombie

Postby Ro-Dan » Wed May 13, 2009 6:53 pm

I don't think the killing was done for shock value. Jinx's death really does serve this story. It's not a pointless death. It's meaningful and powerful, in my view. This Cobra miniseries really is a character study on the Chuckles character. The actions he took really advances his struggle and resolve with the situation he's in.
Ro-Dan
Transforumer

Postby Hellstrom » Wed May 13, 2009 9:26 pm

I am 100% okay with Jinx's death. If it serves the story and another characters development then its fine. This isn't like back in the Marvel run when the Saw Viper mowed down those Joes. That was simply "cleaning house" because Larry had to use the new toys in the comic and how many characters did we have running around not getting page time? Every year more and more new characters came out and Hasbro wanted them in the comic. Now we get the same classic characters over and over and hardly any new ones in the toyline so that isn't an issue. Now if they kill a character it can have meaning just like this issue. It furthered both the story AND Chuckles character development. Not saying they can't or won't kill someone later just for they heck of it, but it works for this story. Heck, people did not like Lady Jaye's death in the DDP run, but to me it worked on giving Flint some more character developement even if other people did not like how he acted afterwards. It just didn't help that most of Americas Elite was crap to most people. I say great job so far with this series IDW.
Hellstrom
Transforumer

Postby Machete Phil » Wed May 13, 2009 9:38 pm

totally agree with ro-dan. the death of jinx definitely serves the story, and is not at all used as some sort of narrative crutch.

there's a big difference between a red shadow killing action man, or a bomb blowing up flash, versus the protaganist of the entire story having to make a decision to actually kill his girlfriend in order to "serve the greater good".

this is by far the most mature, interesting, and well-written gi joe story ever published. as a matter of fact, it's probably one of the most mature, interesting, and well-written comic books even outside of the joe franchise that i have read in quite some time. up there with unknown soldier, y the last man, ex machina, and the ennis max run on the punisher.

at the ol' comic shop the other day, i told everyone there that i wouldn't normally recommend a gi joe comic to anyone who wasn't already into gi joe comics... but that they REALLY, REALLY needed to read this particular series, because it is outstanding.

really digging idw's reboot... the main series is alright, the origins series is fantastic, and the cobra series is absolutely brilliant.
Machete Phil
Transforumer

Postby beantownprime » Thu May 14, 2009 5:41 am

I haven't had a chance to read this yet but this got a really good review from IGN.

Despite the fact that the upcoming movie looks absolutely horrid, I think this is already a tremendous year for G.I. Joe fans. And that's largely because many of the writers and creators attached to the various arms of the Joe empire are willing to take the franchise seriously, even if the movie staff isn't. The writers behind the Joe comics number among this crowd. Even when the books stumble in one area or another, it's clear IDW aims to present a more mature take on the popular heroes and villains.

The one book that has emerged as the clear front-runner in terms of quality is G.I. Joe: Cobra. In exploring the murky origins of this super-terrorist cell, readers are treated to something truly new and exciting. It lacks some of the flash, pizazz, and huge body count of other Joe stories, but that matters not one bit. Cobra is the one book that may just please fans and newcomers alike.

Cobra #3 continues the focus on the ever-worsening plight of Chuckles, Joe member and now spy working his way up the Cobra ranks. Chuckles begins meeting with some success in this issue, but he also finds himself increasingly cut off from his superiors back home. My one real concern with issue #1 was that Chuckles was not a terribly deep character, and I worried he might not be capable of supporting a mini-series on his own. I'm pleased to report that my fears were unfounded. With all the crap Chuckles is forced to wade through in his time at Cobra, it's impossible not to sympathize with his plight. Writers Mike Costa and Christos Gage continue to dangle nuggets of happiness in front of Chuckles, only to either snatch them away or squash them altogether with newer, more painful developments. Chuckles' pain is our joy as readers.

The writing truly makes a lot out of what could just as easily have been a simple, by-the-numbers spy story. Crown made the comparison to Greg Rucka's Queen and Country last month, and I think it's an apt one. This is a very methodical and tempered look at the war between former Saturday morning cartoon characters. The dialogue is crisp and well thought-out. The art is moody and understated, forgoing superheroes for simple men and women of action. The series is entirely unlike what we might have expected from a Cobra-centric story in years past, and that's a very good thing. Even if the idea of IDW's Joe relaunch doesn't appeal to you, I highly recommend giving Cobra a shot. This is one particular battle the bad guys are more than welcome to win.

8.6 OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)
beantownprime
Transforumer

Postby Ro-Dan » Thu May 14, 2009 7:56 am

Excellent review. It's looking like COBRA is quickly becoming the "Watchmen" of the G.I. Joe franchise.
Ro-Dan
Transforumer

Postby Cadet Deming » Fri May 15, 2009 7:02 am

My comic book shop was already sold out (after 1 day?!) so I'll have to wait a week till they reorder it.

My theory on death is fans claim they want to see more deaths, until it turns out to be their favorite character. It makes sense if they have collateral damage it would be in the "dark" miniseries though.
Cadet Deming
Comic Book Guy

Postby Trey » Fri May 15, 2009 3:23 pm

I too think it was a great issue( the series itself is really good ) and the last page with Chuckles vowing to take down Cobra was awesome
Trey
Slayer

Postby Antarctica » Sat May 16, 2009 12:14 am

Wow, Chuckles executed Jinx.

Unbelievable.

An execution is something no Joe has ever done before in IDW has to be praised for doing some really bold story telling.

I really liked the new Jinx character and since no character in comics ever stays dead. Bring her back.
Antarctica
Transforumer

Postby maxgoof » Sat May 16, 2009 10:54 am

This was utter garbage, IDW! GARBAGE!!

The writing is fine until we up and kill Jinx.

Kill one of like 4 total female Joes three months into the new franchise. Thanks a lot, guys!! :evil:

Yeah, we advanced Chuckles' character, but at the expense of a potentially great character and probably the most underutilized female Joes.

If quick, throwaway deaths like this is where the IDW Joeverse is gonna go, count me out...
________
Juggalos
Last edited by maxgoof on Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
maxgoof
Comic Book Guy

Postby Ro-Dan » Sat May 16, 2009 11:17 am

You think you're angry? How do you think Chuckles must feel? 8)
Ro-Dan
Transforumer

Postby Cattleprod » Sat May 16, 2009 11:23 am

maxgoof wrote:The writing is fine until we up and kill Jinx.

I really hope you're joking. Bad things happening to characters you like =/= bad writing.

If you want to read a story where no one dies, ever, a series about the ARMY probably isn't right for you.
Cattleprod
Transforumer

Postby Ro-Dan » Sat May 16, 2009 2:33 pm

Cobra is a real threat and people die. Jinx's death reinforces that this isn't the cartoon series we're reading about. It's real people thrust into extraordinary situations and sometimes things turn out for the worse. IDW has made a concerted effort to make this book gritty and realistic and so far it's working.
Ro-Dan
Transforumer

Postby pandr10 » Sun May 17, 2009 6:49 pm

I was impressed as hell with this issue. It's great to see IDW take this franchise seriously, and give it a realistic view of what war is really like. Jinx is dead, deal with it. Very Jack Bauer of them! I didn't see that coming in a million years, good on ya IDW!
pandr10
Red Shirt

Postby temple » Mon May 18, 2009 1:26 am

Damn.

I mean Damn.

This book is a hell of a lot better than I ever could have expected. Searing, adult storyline in the Joe universe? More, please. The writing is just excellent, two parts of Chuck's monologue standing out in particular; the intro speech about not sleeping, and the lines about him training the terrorists to more efficiently kill his friends.

Go, on, read them again, imagining the monotone, soulless quality in Chuckles' voice, remembering his wisecracking in the first issue. Beautiful characterisation, and some of the best, if not the best, I've read so far this year. Kudos, Mike n' Chris, kudos.

And of course Antonio's gritty, shadowy artwork continues to compliment the story to a tee. The mostly static layouts of each panel seem to conjure up Chuck's disassociation from time, the narrative becoming dreamlike, blurring.

And the killappalooza shock at the end? Ballsy, guys. Very ballsy. I'm lucky, in a way, not to have a favourite Joe character; it's never nice to have your particular chosen one killed off, but again... Damn. That one act says more about Chuckle's fall than a hundred dead strangers could.

To be honest, I kinda thought it was coming from the first time I saw the Chaykin cover three months ago; I even imagined ways the two of them could fake the execution in sneaky Joe style, ready for a big reveal at the end. But then... well, he seems to have shot her right in the forehead; trying to think of a way to fake that and, hey, I got nothin.'

It was heading that way anyway, but Cobra is now officially the finest of the Joe titles in my mind. Now, just have to wait, junkie-like, for the last issues...
temple
Transforumer

Next

Return to G.I. Joe