Alien Spotlight II Series Reaction

Trekkies, Trekkers, Trek-newbies, or just fans of "Free Enterprise," are all welcome here.

Moderators: Ryall, Bobby Curnow, Mariah

Alien Spotlight II Series Reaction

Postby riker2049 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:57 pm

I thought it'd be better instead of doing individual threads for each issue, that we go over them in just one big thread

Issue 1: Tribbles

Alrighty, so the first issue in the new AS series was "Tribbles" and I thought it was great. The one word dialogue for the Tribbles was hilarious and I loved it, it was extremely clever.

The cartoonish style of the art also meshed really well with the story.

My only complaint was that on the cover we got to see two human looking Klingons drowning in Tribbles, yet in the book we see normal looking Klingons getting attacked. Would've been awesome if they were the human looking ones...and also drowning :lol:

So far though, we're off to a good start
Last edited by riker2049 on Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let us make sure, that history never forgets the name...Enterprise."--Captain Picard
riker2049
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Weerd1 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:23 am

Really fun story- I wasn't expecting too much, but this really appealed to me, and I got a kick out of finding out why Tribbles hate Klingons (Rufflefurs). Nice.
WWCCD?
Weerd1
Slayer

Not bad

Postby PatBorg » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:45 pm

Story was "okay." Fun, but not dynamic. Then again, how to make a Tribble story dynamic?

More sex in this comic than anything I've ever read!

Artwork was a wowwer for me. Reminded me of Ernie Colon artwork (Harvey comics and DC's Amethyst Princess of Gemworld). Worked very well with the story! Like to see the artist do a OS Trek issue.

How do you get Tribbles to be worn on your body? Douse yourself in butter and roll in some grain?
PatBorg
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby riker2049 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:46 pm

Issue 2: Klingons

Awesome issue! Easily one of the best Trek issues they've put out, the art was gorgeous through out the book and it was cool to see Kang during different parts of his life.

That two page spread of the ancient Klingon stronghold rocked

I really hope they give Woodward another book to do.

and does anyone else want to see a story about how Kang, Kor, and Koloth got their ridges? :wink:
"Let us make sure, that history never forgets the name...Enterprise."--Captain Picard
riker2049
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby riker2049 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:49 pm

Here's a preview of the cover for Alien Spotlight: Q that was posted on Ryall's blog :)

riker2049
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Liebkraft » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:49 am

Q, very good to hear that. Will there be any further AS after this issue? Maybe something about the Xindi? Remans would be cool too or some DQ-Species...
'Play with friends, be a Hero!'
www.halle-der-helden.at (we do RPG)
Liebkraft
Forum Zombie

Postby TheDolphin » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:42 am

Q happens to be my favourite character from all of Star Trek. I can't bloody wait!

V.
TheDolphin
Red Shirt

Postby Ro-Dan » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:55 pm

I was rather disappointed--and bored, frankly--by the Klingons spotlight. It felt like I wasn't reading a complete story. Was this a tie-in to Candido's Klingon novels?

That Q cover looks great. Looking forward to it. Plus, it looks like a story told in the "Enterprise-E" era. Should be cool.
Ro-Dan
Transforumer

Postby 8of5 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:29 pm

Ro-Dan wrote:I was rather disappointed--and bored, frankly--by the Klingons spotlight. It felt like I wasn't reading a complete story. Was this a tie-in to Candido's Klingon novels?

It builds upon a few previous minor references but isn't really dependent on any of his prose works (KRAD recently updated Memory Beta's page on the book himself, so you can see all the links). The whole thing comes mainly out of the quote "Four thousand throats may be cut in one night by a running man." by Kang in "Day of the Dove".

I too though found the issue a little disappointing. I think it could have done with a single framing story to pull all the little stories together, as is I find it a bit jumbled and disjointed in its present form.

Tribbles on the over hand I loved, absolutely charming.
Numerically challenged drone
8of5's Star Trek blog -- Updated October 14.
8of5
Forum Zombie

Postby HIj'Qa » Wed May 27, 2009 11:42 pm

Spotlight II Romulans

This seems like a Countdown prequel. 25 years of Vulcan/Romulan unification in the works. Definitely not TOS era ships or uniforms. It is like a little bird whispered in someone's ear about the content of Countdown.

The futility of Romulan scheming with the knowledge we have of their immenent demise!
HIj'Qa
Red Shirt

Postby 8of5 » Thu May 28, 2009 2:56 am

HIj'Qa wrote:This seems like a Countdown prequel. 25 years of Vulcan/Romulan unification in the works. Definitely not TOS era ships or uniforms. It is like a little bird whispered in someone's ear about the content of Countdown.

Weeeeird, that's the second person I've seen jump on the unification thing to assume this takes place in the 24th century when all other evidence in the comic very clearly shows it as 23rd century - the uniforms Are TOS era, the Praetor appears to be the same young "unpredictable" one from John Byrne's Romulan Alien Spotlight, as do the references to the development of "ghost ships", and the Romulans' apparent unfamiliarity with cloaking technology. And the unfamiliar starship designs aren't actually that dissimilar from the Romulan BoP established in Enterprise - This is quite clearly a prequel to Balance of Terror and the previous Romulan Alien Spotlight...
8of5
Forum Zombie

Postby riker2049 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:21 pm

Got my issue of Romulans last week. The art was alright. I didn't like how he made every Romulan super muscular. It reminded of comics from the 90's...and that's not a good thing haha

The story was fair...I think if they're gping to do stand alone TOS Romulan stories, they better stick with Bryne.

I'd like to see a TNG Romulan story though, that'd be cool.

Actually, I'd like to see more TNG books in general. It'd be nice if they had an even amount of TOS and TNG books out.
riker2049
I'm kind of a big deal

HERE! HERE!

Postby lordwormm » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:27 pm

I think the Aliens Spotlight series is fantastic. Loooong overdue from ANY Star Trek publisher.

I feel like there are still so many possibilities that may be missed here.

Wouldn't it be great to have a sort of anthology series much like Star Wars Tales or Marvel Comics Presents?

My suggestions for future stories...

1) Tellarites

2) THOLIANS!!!!

3) Edosians (or Triexians/Edoasn) (Arex from the animated series)

4) Aamazzarites...how cool would this be? Supposedly they make everything they use, clothes, furniture, homes, from teh silky substance they excrete!!!

5) Saurians! What about a story set in a Saurian brandy production house?

6) How about explaining the relationship between The Skorr, Aurelians and Dr. Chu-Sa's race?

7) Kazarites? The "dr. dolittles" of the Star Trek Universe?

8) The see-thru craniumed Gallamites? (The unseen Capt Boday!!!)

9) The A-holes of the Alpha Quadrant, the Sheliak? Then we could see them up close!

10) Hupyrian beetle farmers?

11) How about the races of Keenser and Alnschloss K'Bentayr (Monchezke) from the new Trek Movie?

Even though I could go on for a year, I will combine an edited list of must havesfor number 12...

12) Arcadians, Antedeans, Selay, Anticans, Zaranites, Betelgeusians, Kazarites, Breen, Dosi, Excalbian, Horta, Ithenites, Lurians, Megarites, Saurians, Phylosians, Xelatian, Pakled, Melkotians, Kasheeta, Ariolo

Let's get the word to IDW, maybe we'll get lucky.
lordwormm
Private

Re: HERE! HERE!

Postby 8of5 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:25 pm

lordwormm wrote:11) How about the races of Keenser and Alnschloss K'Bentayr (Monchezke) from the new Trek Movie?

Now that's a great idea, there were a couple of other new aliens in the film they could do as well, make a whole series of spotlights from the new movie and expand those new aliens.

I'd love to see Alien Spotlight as an almost ongoing series. The current series is jumping about a bit on the publication dates anyway, and as they're all stand alone series it could easily work with a Spotlight very month or two, collected as and when there are enough for a book.
8of5
Forum Zombie

Postby lordwormm » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:12 pm

thanks! I wonder, what other aliens off the top of your head were there? I am having trouble remembering exactly what I saw, it was a very fast flick!

I will have to google to find out, though I remember a rather hulking alien while the officers were boarding their ships and the big red thing on the ice planet?

Do you think even some "species first contact would work well as a backup feature maybe in each spotlight book?

When and how did the Klingons meet the Tellarites? Kazon meet Malon? Gorn meet Tribbles?!?!?!

I agree with 8 of 5, on the monthly series continuing. Obviously!
lordwormm
Private

Next

Return to Star Trek