Off Topic : New Star Trek Trailer Online - Watch It Now

Trekkies, Trekkers, Trek-newbies, or just fans of "Free Enterprise," are all welcome here.

Moderators: Ryall, Bobby Curnow, Mariah

Postby JustynnBailey » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:14 pm

Admittedly I was a bigger fan of TNG and DS9 than the original Trek but this movie actually has me psyched. And as far as continuity...since I'm not as familiar with the original ST, for I would know, the flick would jive perfectly with the show...admittedly Countdown adds to my excitement since it involves the TNG cast post Nemesis...
JustynnBailey
Slayer

Postby DanielW » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:43 pm

Samy wrote:So as long as the most basic things are in place, it doesn't matter how much liberty they take with the rest?

IMO no, it doesn't matter.
Because if you want Star Trek, then that's it.
However, if you want William Shatner era Trek THEN you're going to be disappointed.

it's like me enjoying all the different versions of Sherlock Holmes out there.
Yes I hold that Jeremy Brett is the best, but Peter Cushing, Tom Baker, Basil Rathebone, Richard Roxborough are all just as good in their own ways.
I think this will be just as good, but in it's own way.
DanielW
Transforumer

Postby Duo Maxwell » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:38 pm

DanielW wrote:
Samy wrote:So as long as the most basic things are in place, it doesn't matter how much liberty they take with the rest?

IMO no, it doesn't matter.
Because if you want Star Trek, then that's it.
However, if you want William Shatner era Trek THEN you're going to be disappointed.

The only thing that really has me concerned about the movie is that Orci and Kurtzman wrote the screenplay. I'm not a JJ Abrams fanboy (or hater) so I don't have an opinion one way or the other about his involvement until I actually see the movie and the cast certainly looks good.

I still maintain, though, that if the black uniform Kirk wears is a form of cadet uniform, the fact that the rest of the bridge crew wear the standard officer uniform makes Chekov look to be one of the worst officers in history if Kirk can rise to the rank of captain before he even gets promoted from ensign. Then again, Data remained a lieutenant commander from the beginning of TNG to his death and he couldn't be classified as being a bad officer. It just leaves the question why his service record never warranted him advancing further up the ranks.

That is, provided the future of the Trek XI timeline progresses moderately similar to the original.
The preceding post is OK to print.
Duo Maxwell
Transforumer

Postby DanielW » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:20 am

Actually, Kirk's just wearin the "under-shirt" of his jumpsuit (check the boots, he's still wearing bits and pieces of a spacesuit, not his uniform).
DanielW
Transforumer

Postby Duo Maxwell » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:53 am

Yeah, that's what I thought when looking at it but, thinking of it that way, why does the undershirt have the arrowhead insignia on it (however faint it may be) if it isn't intended to be seen? Less than two months until we find out just how good the movie is going to be.

Will it live up to the hype or will it have the stigma of being overrated due to the massive promotional campaign? I'm hoping for the former, I want this thing to be good.
Duo Maxwell
Transforumer

Postby ardshipman » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:04 am

I've got a sneaking suspicion that this movie will not only be the best movie of the year, But it will end up being one of the top 5 grossing movies as well.
ardshipman
Red Shirt

Postby Liebkraft » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:13 pm

... and the death of Star Trek :twisted:
'Play with friends, be a Hero!'
www.halle-der-helden.at (we do RPG)
Liebkraft
Forum Zombie

Postby Duo Maxwell » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:56 pm

ardshipman wrote:I've got a sneaking suspicion that this movie will not only be the best movie of the year, But it will end up being one of the top 5 grossing movies as well.

I'd like to believe that it will be a good movie, but the Orci/Kurtzman connection isn't encouraging, unless they've had someone looking over their scripts to make sure what is ultimately filmed is quality.

With the box office, I've said before that CBS/Paramount would have to work really hard at screwing up in order for this movie to not be a financial success.
Duo Maxwell
Transforumer

Postby Jeff Cope » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:24 am

Duo Maxwell wrote:I'd like to believe that it will be a good movie, but the Orci/Kurtzman connection isn't encouraging, unless they've had someone looking over their scripts to make sure what is ultimately filmed is quality.

While I'll admit some trepidation based upon the trainwreck (my opinion) the Transformers movie, JJ Abrams has stated in multiple interviews that it was the script that caused him to go from being just the producer of the movie to feeling jealous if anyone else directed it!

I mean, heck, Akiva Goldman wrote Batman & Robin and A Beautiful Mind. So, it's possible for the same writer(s) to produced crap and gold.

Fingers are crossed that Trek will be gold!
Jeff Cope
Comic Book Guy

Postby Oracle1984 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:15 pm

Or compare The Dark Knight Returns with All Star Batman & Robin. Brilliant v. bizarre.
September 17, 1984. MTME Part I. The world changed forever.
---------------------------
"Nobody ever died for a typewriter." Road-Block, G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero (Marvel) #69 (p.4)
---------------------------
(Okay to print)
Oracle1984
Transforumer

Postby Jeff Cope » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:48 am

Oracle1984 wrote:Or compare The Dark Knight Returns with All Star Batman & Robin. Brilliant v. bizarre.

Or even the Dark Knight Strikes back. ((((((shudder))))))
Jeff Cope
Comic Book Guy

Postby Liebkraft » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:12 am

I got news today that there's a new video available:
http://www.trekzone.de/content/dt/news/ ... ?stat_id=2 (it shows both space and ground combat)

also one can now apply for Beta Test at the official site.

when I watch the movie I got one little problem, that kind of keeps bothering me the whole time since I've heard of STO for the first time.... like all ST-PC-games before it triys to invent the wheel anew instead ot taking good stuff that is already there.... I mean, we got the ships and weapon systems from Armada I & II, the ground vehicles from New Worlds and the equipment from Elite Force I & II and Away Team, why inventing new stuff when you could 'update' ideas from there.... okay, there might be copyright issues, but nothing one couldn't overcome and then STO would really 'fit in'. Just my thoughts though
'Play with friends, be a Hero!'
www.halle-der-helden.at (we do RPG)
Liebkraft
Forum Zombie

Postby 8of5 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:42 am

Liebkraft wrote:when I watch the movie I got one little problem, that kind of keeps bothering me the whole time since I've heard of STO for the first time.... like all ST-PC-games before it triys to invent the wheel anew instead ot taking good stuff that is already there.... I mean, we got the ships and weapon systems from Armada I & II, the ground vehicles from New Worlds and the equipment from Elite Force I & II and Away Team, why inventing new stuff when you could 'update' ideas from there.... okay, there might be copyright issues, but nothing one couldn't overcome and then STO would really 'fit in'. Just my thoughts though

There'd be no copyright issue, any Star Trek licensor can use anything from Star Trek, it all belongs to CBS/Paramount: IDW could nab a ship from Online, Online could use a species from the books, the books could take a character from the manga, the manga could adopt a planet from IDW, etc etc. As shown very recently with Countdown using Online’s uniform designs and the Online history pages using information from the novel line, while at the same time disregarding information from other parts of the novelverse in favour for their own unique continuity.

The two considerations I can think of are: maintaining creative control, if for instance IDW wanted to do a Titan series they could conceivably use the series and designs as already described in the novels. Or they could decide not to be constrained by the novels and do something entirely different. If one licensor is concerned about the other contradicting their work as both work with the same concept it might be easier for them to just not develop the same thing. Though of course this isn’t so much of an issue with computer games as no one else is making Trek ones at the moment, so the ships designs of games past aren't liking to changed or used in a new contradictory way if Online adopted them.

The second consideration is that the new developers may simply not like the old designs or wish to make up their own.

Star Trek Legacy did quite a good job with this sort of thing, it used several designs from both old Activision games and FASA RPGs.
Numerically challenged drone
8of5's Star Trek blog -- Updated October 14.
8of5
Forum Zombie

Postby Samy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:48 am

any Star Trek licensor can use anything from Star Trek, it all belongs to CBS/Paramount
Belonging to one corporation doesn't automatically mean you can use everything from them.

For instance, IDW's license doesn't include Deep Space Nine or Voyager -- only TOS and TNG.

Just because New Line did the Blade movies doesn't mean they have rights to do the X-Men too.

These are things that are very meticulously outlined in contracts -- what can be used and what can't be used. It doesn't automatically follow that just because you're doing business with a company you can use everything from them.
Samy
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby 8of5 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:38 am

Samy wrote:
any Star Trek licensor can use anything from Star Trek, it all belongs to CBS/Paramount
Belonging to one corporation doesn't automatically mean you can use everything from them.

For instance, IDW's license doesn't include Deep Space Nine or Voyager -- only TOS and TNG.

Ok if the particular licensor doesn't own the license to all the trekverse then yeah they cant do all the trekverse. But as the details of IDW's license have been known for some time I assumed we'd all know that huh...

The point I was making was about different licensors using each others non-canon only creation. Taking IDW's case, they can use anything from TOS and TNG, so they can do (and have done) New Frontier comics for instance, without any editorial input from Pocket. Likewise they could do Titan, Stargazer, etc using the Pocket Books characters, and could take characters, settings and designs from other previous and current Trek (TOS and TNG) license holders. And likewise if Pocket wanted to do a novel on a character that originated in an IDW comic there's not much IDW could do to stop it (if they wanted to) because they dont own or control use of the character, CBS/Paramount do.
Numerically challenged drone
8of5's Star Trek blog -- Updated October 14.
8of5
Forum Zombie

Previous

Return to Star Trek